Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardest Level/Section of any game you have played

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

Guitar Hero 3, Through the Fire and the Flames - Expert

End of discussion

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also: purple coin Luigi level in Mario Galaxy. I didn't even bother devoting time to it since I knew it was going to cause Nunchuck breakage. Perhaps one day I shall return and get that final star in the game, maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    More likely to do with the fact that it's arguably the worst game ever made.

Heh, yes it is absolutely ****! :) Dunno why my friend ever bought that game, well that's funny me saying that, I did buy Criticom.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Ghosts n' Goblins....or the really old dracula game...still wtf like even i play them after 10years later...the stupid jump is defo the dumbest way to make a game tough :s

i think games nowadays have no match to those old school stuffs...cant remember i actually complete any most games on FC...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Also: purple coin Luigi level in Mario Galaxy. I didn't even bother devoting time to it since I knew it was going to cause Nunchuck breakage. Perhaps one day I shall return and get that final star in the game, maybe...
    Ugh, i have two coins to get, that one and the dreadnought one. I've nearly killed the controller thanks to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The opening level of Driver.

You don't want me to play you if I can't beat your timed "training" level? Ok, back to the store for you!

God yes. You brought back so many frustrating memorys:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

seraphimvc wrote: »
    Ghosts n' Goblins....or the really old dracula game...still wtf like even i play them after 10years later...the stupid jump is defo the dumbest way to make a game tough :s

Ah now the jump isn't all that bad. Ghosts n' Goblins was impossibly tough but Ghouls n' Ghosts and Super Gn'G were nothing short of awesome and had the same controls. Even despite the extreme difficulty they could be finished with practice, I know I've one credited both games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

jcoote wrote: »
    carry on my wayward son,there'll be peace when you are gone!!!! :cool:

it took me ages to complete 'the driver' mission in vice city.
    Thats the one where u have to race Hillary to get him todrive the bank job getaway car...

just in case anybody hasn't played that game yet

The worst part about that was if he turned his car and died, that was it level over. He did that a couple of times when I was playing against him. Drove me mad. Still quite like the level though.

Some of the toughest games I've played were text based RPG's - The one that stands out to me the most if one from the Amiga called Enchanter - I used to be able to get so far and then that was it. Brick wall couldnt go any further. I was trying to emulate it there recently without much success. I must get back onto that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

c - 13 wrote: »
    The worst part about that was if he turned his car and died, that was it level over. He did that a couple of times when I was playing against him. Drove me mad. Still quite like the level though.

Some of the toughest games I've played were text based RPG's - The one that stands out to me the most if one from the Amiga called Enchanter - I used to be able to get so far and then that was it. Brick wall couldnt go any further. I was trying to emulate it there recently without much success. I must get back onto that.

:D:D:D:D

"turn left"

You turn left and cannot see anything. It is dark.

"make it bright"

Command not recognised. Please try again.

"light torch"

You light the torch and from the corner of your eye see a level 6000 goblin. He is coming towards you.

"fcuk you"

Command not recognised. Please try again.

"what are you lookin at kid?"

You are too late. The goblin kills you and pisses on your torch. You are dead,

Retry?

[y/n]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

The Ocarina Of Time

Finished the fire temple la la la la going along nicely....WTF! The water temple was such a step up not only in skill but in fcuking patience. christ

I even messed it up so badly that I couldn't finish it. For shame I ony restarted the game lastyear and finished it. 10 years after i originally bought it...The Water Temple is still hard, the boss was a piece o p!ss though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

DarkJager wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D

"turn left"....
    [y/n]

Have you ever played Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy? Now theres a hard section of a game, that section being the whole goddamn thing. You need an encyclopediac knowledge of Douglas Adam's previous work to even get past the first few screens of the damn thing. And I had that knowledge at one point, and couldn't get past the early Babel Fish sequence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml
    Play it here if you are masochistic enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Have you ever played Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy? Now theres a hard section of a game, that section being the whole goddamn thing. You need an encyclopediac knowledge of Douglas Adam's previous work to even get past the first few screens of the damn thing. And I had that knowledge at one point, and couldn't get past the early Babel Fish sequence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml
    Play it here if you are masochistic enough.

Christ that is hard. I got out of the house second time round and then died. Didn't even get off the first screen the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

DaveyGem wrote: »
    The Ocarina Of Time

Finished the fire temple la la la la going along nicely....WTF! The water temple was such a step up not only in skill but in fcuking patience. christ

I even messed it up so badly that I couldn't finish it. For shame I ony restarted the game lastyear and finished it. 10 years after i originally bought it...The Water Temple is still hard, the boss was a piece o p!ss though

I to know that pain managed to go about the dungion in the complete wrong order and thus made it impossible for me to clear it and then due to sheer stubbornes refused to start a new game and kept trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

DaveyGem wrote: »
    The Ocarina Of Time

The legend that is The Water Temple............good memories of absolute terror. I know a few people who gave up on the game (and Zelda games in general) because of it. I'm replaying the game at the mo, so can't wait to get that evil temple over and done with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Off the top of my head:

1 Call of Duty IV: Mile High Club on veterean. Anyone who beats that deserves some serious credit

2 GTA: VIce City: That stupid mission where you had to pilot a remote control helicopter and plant bombs. The controls sucked Donkey's balls.

3 GTA: San Andreas: That racing mission in the middle of the game out in the counry. I must have played it twenty or thirty times and nearly smashed my controller in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I just did that san andreas racing mission and the reason it took me a few goes is ye have to fight the urge to go fast. It's easy once you slow down at each peak, but it's so hard to slow down! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

silvine wrote: »
    GTA: VIce City: That stupid mission where you had to pilot a remote control helicopter and plant bombs. The controls sucked Donkey's balls.

Spot on! That was horrible. The amount of times i nearly finished that mission. Seconds away... It was as if the timer was designed to run out just as you were approaching the end. Ridiculously unfair.

Unlike Ninja Gaiden. Which wasn't unfair, it was just hard. Apart from the odd camera issue it was usually your own fault if you were made look like a complete bitch by the game. Aaahh... I love it. Can't wait for the new.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

silvine wrote: »
    2 GTA: VIce City: That stupid mission where you had to pilot a remote control helicopter and plant bombs. The controls sucked Donkey's balls.

Wasn't that in San Andreas also? I remember having to pilot a RC helicopter and destroy a load of vans. That was a bitch of a mission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Trode wrote: »
    Trauma Cantre for the DS immediately springs to mind. There were some bastard-hard levels in that, but the one I never got past was the one where you have to perform five operations in ten minutes removing those shark/leech things from people. Even without the time limit doing five in a row would be a serious challenge, because the last few patients have about nine of the things to find, and they go critical as soon as you look at them. Doing it all in ten minutes, no chance.

As far as I remember that was just a trick to stress you out and you only had to operate on 3 out of 5 of the patients to pass. :)

Still tricky but a lot more doable. The game only got harder from there though, the final level is incredibly intimidating and difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

total annihilation when you you crank the difficulty to full and play 3 against one. crazy tough, and the game had the strangest habit of crashing when you we finally set up to start a counter attack, very suspicious cavedog..

other than that the only thing to damage my happiness lately was that i eventually got SSB melee after i got my wii, and the challenge mission where you have to fight like 20 different kirbys AND its timed... it ruined me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

mawk wrote: »
    total annihilation when you you crank the difficulty to full and play 3 against one. crazy tough, and the game had the strangest habit of crashing when you we finally set up to start a counter attack, very suspicious cavedog..

no, i refuse to believe that. the AI in TA was absolutely dire. it was a giant randomizer with a vague idea of wat units to build. out of all the AI in RTS games i still rate TA's as one of the lowest. in fact with me and my mates its a common joke as to how stupid it is.
    7v1 on Russian Roulette in Red Alert 2: Yuris Revenge with super weapons on is very f**kin tough tho!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

There was an insanely hard Manic Miner rip-off for the C64 called China Miner. Easily the hardest game I ever played. Some levels required you to jump with pixel perfect timing. I think you had just 3 lives. You'd make your way, playing for 20 minutes and then you got to the Careful With That Axe Eugene level and just die 3 times in rapid succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Mgs2 on european extreme difficulty...
    The part where you have to keep tapping triangle because
    liquid snake is choking you near all the mg rays
    on oter difficulty levels it's fine but jesus this took me days of continuos play!! Used a biro and kept rubbing it on and off the button otherwise your finger would have been raw and theres no way you'd be fast enough!!

can't think of ant others at the moment..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The opening level of Driver.

You don't want me to play you if I can't beat your timed "training" level? Ok, back to the store for you!

Yeah, that was a pain.

The "Wrong side of the tracks" mission in GTA:SA where you had to ride a motorbike alongside a train while your idiot pillion passenger repeatedly failed to shoot all the guys on the roof. That drove me mad for hours until I gave in and googled to find the trick to it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The afore mentioned shoot the vans with the toy aeroplane in San Andreas drove me forking mental, there was never enough fuel, but the "capture all the cop motorbikes" for the heist was impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chris d

Battletoads on the Gameboy.
    Being chased by a brain in a maze.
    Completed it once cause i got lucky with a glitch and jumped into the wall while the brain just bounced bast.

that's the only time i got past the b.tch in my 26 years.

**edit**

Driver 2 also did my head in. The police cars seemed to have warp drive, there were dozens of them, and they were indestructable.
    Im so glad gta came along and destroyed that franchise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm stuck in
    that mission in the past with a crippled scottish bloke covered in twigs waiting for the chopper pickup
    in COD4 on the hardest setting. It's sodding impossible, the buggers just keep coming by the dozens, and here you are with a semi-automatic bloody bolt-action rifle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Sarky wrote: »
    I'm stuck in
    that mission in the past with a crippled scottish bloke covered in twigs waiting for the chopper pickup
    in COD4 on the hardest setting. It's sodding impossible, the buggers just keep coming by the dozens, and here you are with a semi-automatic bloody bolt-action rifle!
    One of the worst bits of level design ever imo.

Stupid stupid

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

kaimera wrote: »
    One of the worst bits of level design ever imo.

Stupid stupid

What? That was awesome. I didn't realise how tensed up I was til I got past that level. ....eventually.

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    I'm stuck in

CoD4 SP in general is sometimes frustratingly designed. The 'invisible triggers', endless waves of respawning enemies etc.. feel like cheap tricks to ramp up the difficulty.

Advertisement