Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question RE: Spuds

• 23-05-2008 8:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Buffet tomorrow
    25 people
    need spuds
    want to have food ready when we get back to house (Communion)
    baked potatoes will take about an hour - too long
    can I make them tonight and reheat tomorrow? (manky?)
    any other spud based item instead

Many, many thanks and apologies for crap posting style, in panic mode.
    :o

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What about potato salad? Bake/steam/boil then mix some finely chopped shallots, celery and mayo. The flavour will improve if cooked in advance.

As for baking the potatos, put them in for 30 mins then prick them with a fork, you'll know from the texture when they're cooked.

What are you serving with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

make a gratin - slice the spuds, add butter cream milk and garlic, layer them up, stick them in the oven with a sprinkling of cheese on the top and then just re-heat tomorrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

i'd go with the gratin idea... no only is it perfect for your situation but it's also the tastiest version of spud i've ever eaten.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd chuck a load of baby potatoes in a roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle on plenty of salt and black pepper. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour. They can be eaten hot or cold and if you like you can put unpeeled garlic cloves and/or sliced onions in around them. And you can reheat them if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'd chuck a load of baby potatoes in a roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle on plenty of salt and black pepper. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour. They can be eaten hot or cold and if you like you can put unpeeled garlic cloves and/or sliced onions in around them. And you can reheat them if necessary.

ooohhh. actually that sounds better, I wish there was a drool smiley.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

tbh wrote: »
    ooohhh. actually that sounds better, I wish there was a drool smiley.

They taste amazing - you'd actually eat them like sweeties ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Genius - baby potatoes it is!

Maybe a gratin too...

Thanks a million all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The power of Boards!

Did the roasted baby potatoes, and they were cracking. I had some left over the following morning and fried them with the big breakfast - more guests to feed :o.

Thanks again :)

sueme wrote: »
    The power of Boards!

Did the roasted baby potatoes, and they were cracking. I had some left over the following morning and fried them with the big breakfast - more guests to feed :o.

Thanks again :)

I'm glad they were successful for you :)

When cooking them for our own dinner sometimes I put cherry tomatoes, unpeeled garlic cloves and quartered onions in with them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Variation on a theme - Nigel Slater suggests boiling baby new potatoes until just cooked, then gently crushing with a fork to break skin and put in oven for a further 30-40 mins with lots of butter and some crushed garlic cloves, herbs, crystal salt.... tried it and they are fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

I'm glad they were successful for you :)

When cooking them for our own dinner sometimes I put cherry tomatoes, unpeeled garlic cloves and quartered onions in with them too.

I made these last night but I had no cherry tomatoes so I used a tub of sundried tomatoes instead. Yummy....
    Thanks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I love them, only add the cherry tomatoes at the last 10 minutes so they're just ready to burst when you serve them.

Potato salad is a good made in advance too.

Advertisement