Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are broadband "peak usage" times?

Options
  • 23-05-2008 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I'm running some broadband speed tests for my broadband set up, and need to compare speeds at peak usage times with speeds at minimum usage times.

Can anyone tell me what those times would be during an average Irish weekday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

7pm to 9pm is fairly heavy. 5pm to 7pm somewhat busy.
    4am is quiet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Holyharry

Thanks Watty!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Traditionally in Ireland busy 'hour' is between 20:00 and 00:00. There's usually a significant drop off at 00:00. Then a further drop off at 01:00. People set themselves a time limit - like, I'll surf till midnight kinda thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

And sunday evening is the busiest time of the weekend. I've read before that regular sellers on ebay know this and post their adds on sundays for 7days to end on sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

UTV unlimited says no P2P traffic between 7pm and 11pm so i'm guessing thats their peak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've a 3 modem (as in that sticky of unhappy customers in this forum). For me it slows down dramatically from around 6pm til well after 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

In general peak is 5pm to midnight (this is from a providers perspective) and yes, sunday is in general busy from mid day and on.

/Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I was in a friend's house and his broadband slowed down after 4:30. He said it was because the secondary kids were all home from school and hitting their Bebo pages. It's all Bebo's fault :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Firetrap wrote: »
    I was in a friend's house and his broadband slowed down after 4:30. He said it was because the secondary kids were all home from school and hitting their Bebo pages. It's all Bebo's fault :p

Not really, because why should they not be using, what has been paid for. If you've got a massive slowdown, then the provider has just used the full means of the contention.

48:1 doesn't really hack it, does it ?

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Marlow wrote: »
    48:1 doesn't really hack it, does it ?

48:1 is what you purchase. If you want lower contention, you can get it - but you pay for it.

Any fixed line operator will give you a 1:1 contended service. It's called a leased line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement