Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT 5 question broadband question

Options
  • 23-05-2008 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭

Hi all does anyone know can broadband go across 2 pair 4 cables, rather than using all 4 pair?? 8 cables

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

not sure What do you mean?:confused:
    broadband will carry on 2 pair (telephone cable) once converted to ethernet it needs cat5 e and can then run on 2 pairs (if really needed) 1236
    which is 1 orange white, 2 orange, 2 white green and 6 green
    leaving blue, blue white and brown white and brown free. to carry something else..Is that what you needed to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

I have a router in a down stairs location, but then i have a 2 pair cable going up stairs 4 cables, can i use this cable to feed broadband from downstairs to up stairs,

there is no Option to feed a new cable from downstairs to up stairs.. and wifi is a non runner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

tech wrote: »
    i have a 2 pair cable going up stairs 4 cables
    I am not sure what you mean here. What type of cable have you got running up stairs? Are you saying you have a cable with four wires running up stairs? i.e. a telephone cable? If that is the case then it would not work as I am pretty sure it cannot carry the necessary frequencies (I believe it can work up to 1mb) but I have never actually tried it.

If it is a telephone cable then you could make another telephone point upstairs and run the router from there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

The adsl / phone only requires a single pair (normaly blue and blue/white wires if using CAT5, which use the center contects on the plug / sockets.). Eircom use/have used either a single twisted pair or quad flat untwisted cables in most houses, I got a good improvment in my ADSL by replacing it all with CAT5.

After your modem, if you are using ethernet to get access around your house, it is normal to use all four pairs (evn though not all are used currently).

I have a router in a down stairs location, but then i have a 2 pair cable going up stairs 4 cables, can i use this cable to feed broadband from downstairs to up stairs,

there is no Option to feed a new cable from downstairs to up stairs.. and wifi is a non runner

No then..(unless you want to invest in a vdsl router cost about 190 euro for the pair)

Do as Axer says and move the router up stairs..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

technically 10/100 cat5e networks only use 2 pair so although we always use 4 pair cable when extending broadband modems etc it is not needed. Gigabit is the only thing that uses 4 pair so we always run cat5 or 6 to future proof. So ya if you have a 2 pair cable just terminate it into a standard Rj45 module and you'll be broadbanding. If you need to know what points on the module to terminate give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

Thanks thats what I though I heard before that 2 pair would be enough to carry DSL

Can you please give me the pin layouts thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Thanks thats what I though I heard before that 2 pair would be enough to carry DSL

What cable is running upstairs? A phone cable?

What FusionNet is talking about is creating a network point to the router upstairs - not extending the DSL upstairs.

I would be doubtful that a Cat1 (telephone cable) will be able to carry a 10/100 network properly as it was not made for that because of frequecies it can carry and the amount of twist in the pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

google is your friend 1-1 2-2 3-3 and so on upto 8-8

Perhaps Tech would put us all out of our misery and say what kind of cable it is!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

axer wrote: »
    I would be doubtful that a Cat1 (telephone cable) will be able to carry a 10/100 network properly as it was not made for that because of frequecies it can carry and the amount of twist in the pairs.

Google pulls up a few stories of people getting away with 100 mbit over short runs of miscellaneous non-twisted cables but it's a shot in the dark. My own experience with a ~10m miswired Cat5e cable (one 'pair' was split across two twisted pairs in the cable) suggests it may work with some NICs but not others, or you may see performance problems or oddities like a machine showing up with a new MAC address at each boot. It is worth trying if pulling Cat5e or Cat6 cable is not an option but don't be surprised if it doesn't work or has issues.

A network bridge via HomePlug devices is another possibility.

Advertisement