Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fender bender!

Options
  • 23-05-2008 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi there,
    A few weeks ago I reversed into a car in a car park. I know it was myfault but the car in front of me was reversing on to me so I paniced. Stupid I know. I should have stood on the horn. Anyway I gave my insurance details and the girl gave me her contact details. I asked her not to contact my insurance company until she had got a quote as I was not sure if it was worth going through insurance for. She informed me it was her husbands car and that there was a small crack on the bumper (which i saw).
    The following weeek I got a call from a company who owned the car and they informed me they were sending on the quote. The quote ended up at €1000. I contacted my insurance but as I had an eccess of €450 on my policy I decided to pay it myself. It would have affected my no claims policy fro 2 yrs and I would much rather pay up now than spread it out that way and be reminded of my error every year when my insurance took a hike.
    My question is the company have asked me to forward the cheque to them and not to the garage, I thought it would be normal to be invoiced by the garage. Who is to say the repairs will ever be carried out or does that matter? I was the one at fault so there are merely being compensated. What if the company come back to me afterwards and say they are not happy with the job?? Am I protected?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

forward to to whereever it needs to go and keep a track of it.

imo- pay the girl cash and run.... sounds rude but it stops the usual crap that happens when people crash , also next time, its a 10k limit in a carpark for a limit.... besides most cars have traction control , abs etc so stuff like this Is Aviodable

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

signup wrote: »
    Hi there,
    A few weeks ago I reversed into a car in a car park. I know it was myfault but the car in front of me was reversing on to me so I paniced. Stupid I know. I should have stood on the horn. Anyway I gave my insurance details and the girl gave me her contact details. I asked her not to contact my insurance company until she had got a quote as I was not sure if it was worth going through insurance for. She informed me it was her husbands car and that there was a small crack on the bumper (which i saw).
    The following weeek I got a call from a company who owned the car and they informed me they were sending on the quote. The quote ended up at €1000. I contacted my insurance but as I had an eccess of €450 on my policy I decided to pay it myself. It would have affected my no claims policy fro 2 yrs and I would much rather pay up now than spread it out that way and be reminded of my error every year when my insurance took a hike.
    My question is the company have asked me to forward the cheque to them and not to the garage, I thought it would be normal to be invoiced by the garage. Who is to say the repairs will ever be carried out or does that matter? I was the one at fault so there are merely being compensated. What if the company come back to me afterwards and say they are not happy with the job?? Am I protected?

You should ask whether vat is included. If the garage bill comes to €1000, assuming that most of it is labour, there will be vat included of €118.94. The company will claim the vat back so it will cost them €881.06. In the meantime, it'll cost you €1000. You might think this trifling but I'm just pointing it out.

Of course, I'm assuming that the company is vat registered. If it isn't I've just wasted valuable time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 signup

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You should ask whether vat is included. If the garage bill comes to €1000, assuming that most of it is labour, there will be vat included of €118.94. The company will claim the vat back so it will cost them €881.06. In the meantime, it'll cost you €1000. You might think this trifling but I'm just pointing it out.

Of course, I'm assuming that the company is vat registered. If it isn't I've just wasted valuable time.

Thanks. The quote is including vat. I should really pay the amount excluding vat I suppose. I never though of that. Thanks.

S.I.R wrote: »
    forward to to whereever it needs to go and keep a track of it.

imo- pay the girl cash and run.... sounds rude but it stops the usual crap that happens when people crash , also next time, its a 10k limit in a carpark for a limit.... besides most cars have traction control , abs etc so stuff like this Is Aviodable

If you re read the post you will see that I reversed into her. It really doesn't come into the 10km speed limit. Traction control etc is not the issue. There was no speed, no slippy surfaces etc. Full concentration is what would have avoided the bump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

usually if your insurance company knows about this then it will affect your future premiums so maybe it is worth it to let them foot the bill? that is after all why we get insured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Long and short of it:

When your not going through insurance and sorting out your self , as the person who is at fault you dont really have any rights!

If they want to go to garage x that costs twice as much as garage y ,they can

If they want you to pay them rather than the garage , you'll have to pay them.

I dont know the wisdom of being petty over the VAT, they could easily tell you "ok fine, we're going through insurance". I know its a decent bit of money but personally i'd think it would be better to just bite the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

foggy_lad wrote: »
    usually if your insurance company knows about this then it will affect your future premiums so maybe it is worth it to let them foot the bill? that is after all why we get insured.

Incorect, you have a No Claims Bonus not a no accident bonus. You should always inform your insurance company of accidents as if the person makes a personal injury claim at a latter date you are covered.

You can let your insurance company sort it out and then pay them off and you don't loose your NCB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Del2005 wrote: »
    Incorect, you have a No Claims Bonus not a no accident bonus. You should always inform your insurance company of accidents as if the person makes a personal injury claim at a latter date you are covered.

You can let your insurance company sort it out and then pay them off and you don't loose your NCB.

+1 on this, your insurance company will give you the option of paying the bill which will not affect you NCB.

You should never admit liability either and let the insurance company sort it out, they have the best experience on getting the best price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

so - are you saying that if I get into an accident, I can get the insurance company to sort it, and if it turns out that it's an amount I can pay myself, I can pay them back and it's like I never claimed? That's really interesting, I'm clueless about cars, if I could get an expert helping me out for free it'd be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

tbh wrote: »
    so - are you saying that if I get into an accident, I can get the insurance company to sort it, and if it turns out that it's an amount I can pay myself, I can pay them back and it's like I never claimed? That's really interesting, I'm clueless about cars, if I could get an expert helping me out for free it'd be great.

Thats what their there for, just ring an ask.
    If your with quinn direct, on their insurance disk holder it says

1. Call Quinn
    2. NEVER ADMIT LIABILITY

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

cool! thanks. I thought that was just if you were claiming and getting them to pay..

Well it's done and dusted now. I sent of payment on Fri and I am just waiting for confirmation of payment received. Hopefully this is the lkast I hear about it and I can move on without it hanging over me. Hard lesson to learn all the same. Next time I will just sit there and honk my horn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

tbh wrote: »

Not really... it gets a bit messy because then your NCB has to be reinstated and that can take a while. You inform the insurance company that there was an accident, tell them you're waiting on a quote and you will let them know if you are going ahead with a claim, if you are going to go ahead and pay it yourself, you let them know so the claim can be closed off as a non payout and your NCB won't be affected. If there is an open claim on your policy you will have to close the claim before moving insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

Not really... it gets a bit messy because then your NCB has to be reinstated and that can take a while. You inform the insurance company that there was an accident, tell them you're waiting on a quote and you will let them know if you are going ahead with a claim, if you are going to go ahead and pay it yourself, you let them know so the claim can be closed off as a non payout and your NCB won't be affected. If there is an open claim on your policy you will have to close the claim before moving insurance company.

thats correct. you need to make sure you close off the claim. other wise it shows up as an outstanding claim whether the insurance company are paying it or not. so make sure you notify them when everything is closed off.

Advertisement