Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny/Waterford Motorway

Options
  • 23-05-2008 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knew the completion date for the Dublin (and Kilkenny) to Waterford motorway? I know the proposed completion date and actual completion date will be different! I heard it was 2010 but maybe someone has more info :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

windy bee wrote: »
    Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knew the completion date for the Dublin (and Kilkenny) to Waterford motorway? I know the proposed completion date and actual completion date will be different! I heard it was 2010 but maybe someone has more info :)

Thanks!

Already is a thread on this :). The sections through Co. Kilkenny are as follows

-Waterford-Knocktopher started in Spring 2007 and will prob be finished this time next year
    -Knocktopher-Carlow started in February thisa year and will again take about two years.

-Carlow Bypass is to open in the next few weeks at last
    -Carlow-Kilkcullen is underway since February and again should take about 2years to complete.

So, yea 2010 it would seem for the whole route. Not bad considering how big the project is and the fact the PDs tried to ditch it as recently as 2003/4

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its a big old job and alot of slip roads and overpasses required but I'd say 2010/2011 is a good estimate as already mentioned,.

Anybody have an idea when Knocktopher - Waterford section will at last open for traffic?
    Most of the main works seem to have been completed and they are laying the road in places?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

mfitzy wrote: »
    Anybody have an idea when Knocktopher - Waterford section will at last open for traffic?
    Most of the main works seem to have been completed and they are laying the road in places?

To hazzard a guess I would suspect early 2009 (1st Qtr)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

-Waterford-Knocktopher started in Spring 2007 and will prob be finished this time next year

Yeap aiming for April-May 09 on this stretch was originally planned for March April but since the weather has been a misery it's held up a lot of the Muck shifting.

Yea you are right Trish progress was not what it should have been over the summer I reckon, mainly due to weather I suppose

They were putting up side barriers on that new flyover north of Mullinavat a week or two ago. I will have to take a tripm and properly inspect the road and report back :D.
    I wonder are they going to open it in line with the Waterford city bypass which seems to be a good bit off yet. They are raligning the link road into Knocktopher at the moment at least to tie in old and new road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I wonder are they going to open it in line with the Waterford city bypass which seems to be a good bit off yet. They are raligning the link road into Knocktopher at the moment at least to tie in old and new road.

I would say probably not. As I understand it, the stretch from Knocktopher to Waterford is to open in Spring 2009 whereas the new bridge and city bypass are to open later in the year (September, according to a report in the News & Star a couple of months back).

What should open along with the M9 is the realigned section of N9 from Grannagh into the city centre. It looks like one side of the dual carriageway from the Newrath roundabout (behind the now closed Autoboland garage) into Sallypark is due to open today!

No doubt they'll build the other side of the dualler over the coming months, once the traffic is running on the new section of road.

Tarmac is being layed throught much if it now. Just around the junctions it looks unfinished.

• Advertisement

Johnstown/Urlingford will soon be bypassed;
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/Motorway-to-be-an-early.4705505.jp

A great addition to Kilkenny infrastructure...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

THE new motorway through Johnstown and Urlingford will open next month – nine months ahead of schedule. "QUOTED IN THE KK PEOPLE"

is this because itgoes through a small part of co.kk, the part of KK that seems to be forgotten.

I wonder if the M9 near KK will be finished on time? Or will it be the usual Kilkenny coco(or them in the ceretain areas) holds up motorway progression. iIt seemed that there is now work going on in the KK side of the county where the M9 is coming through, but after how long behind the rest.Carlow by-passed itself ages ago as it must have been a priority for the progression of the town, which i see has quite expanded with a new retail park with homebase et al. Dont get me wronng, but gain the south part of KKs mway seemed to stop at Knocktopher and restart at just after leighlinbridge!:confused:
    I know there were alot of battles etc through this area, why start excavating archaelogical sites when you are hemmed in by mway on both sides,which have already done theirs years before?

I could go on a rant all night and day. Was just hoping you folks would possibly have some answers as to why(i know about the family off cream paper ones which have a series of triangles you lick to stick and maybe contain mini tramolines which you might wrap parcels up with).

As monty python says...;) ;) say no more, say no more

or was it someone else????:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

Baaaaaasssssssssssssiiiiilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

I'm hearing Aug/Sep for both Waterford to Knocktopher Section and Waterord City Bypass

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

legally any roads being built must have an archaeologist present and anything found will be investigated, this will delay any project no matter where it is in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why are peeps talking about Urlingford, its on the N8/M8

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

mike65 wrote: »
    Why are peeps talking about Urlingford, its on the N8/M8

Mike

Because the motorway bypassing it is going to open in a number of weeks:
    Johnstown/Urlingford will soon be bypassed;
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/Motorway-to-be-an-early.4705505.jp

A great addition to Kilkenny infrastructure...

I'm really looking forward to this opening. I travel from Kilkenny - Limerick twice a week and, although the road is great from Urlingford on, you always get stuck behind lorries until you get on the motorway at Cashel. Looking forward to being able to sail down to Cashel via the motorway.

domkk wrote: »
    THE new motorway through Johnstown and Urlingford will open next month – nine months ahead of schedule. "QUOTED IN THE KK PEOPLE"

is this because itgoes through a small part of co.kk, the part of KK that seems to be forgotten.

I wonder if the M9 near KK will be finished on time? Or will it be the usual Kilkenny coco(or them in the ceretain areas) holds up motorway progression. iIt seemed that there is now work going on in the KK side of the county where the M9 is coming through, but after how long behind the rest.Carlow by-passed itself ages ago as it must have been a priority for the progression of the town, which i see has quite expanded with a new retail park with homebase et al. Dont get me wronng, but gain the south part of KKs mway seemed to stop at Knocktopher and restart at just after leighlinbridge!:confused:
    I know there were alot of battles etc through this area, why start excavating archaelogical sites when you are hemmed in by mway on both sides,which have already done theirs years before?

I could go on a rant all night and day. Was just hoping you folks would possibly have some answers as to why(i know about the family off cream paper ones which have a series of triangles you lick to stick and maybe contain mini tramolines which you might wrap parcels up with).

As monty python says...;) ;) say no more, say no more

or was it someone else????:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

Baaaaaasssssssssssssiiiiilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Both of theses project are handled by the NRA, Kilkenny coco just administer the schemes really.

Carlow was bypassed first because it was clearly thew worst bottlekneck on the whole N9. All the M9 through county Kilkenny is progressing well, particualrly between Dunbell and Knocktopher.

Advertisement