Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King air at EICM?

Options
  • 23-05-2008 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Hi all, especially those around Galway. There has been, what looks like a kingair, flying around Galway for a couple of months. I had'nt seen it for 2 or 3 weeks, but again last night it flew over on approach to EICM. Does anyone know what it is doing? Maybe its based up there, but any time I've been there I have'nt seen it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 G-CBHV

There's a Aussie D8 doing a water survey VH-LCL, I wonder is that what your seeing? Its based at Carnmore for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

there is an aircraft re-calibrating the ils at the moment... Maybe thats it? Good to see they're fixing the ils its been out for service for the guts of 2 months now. Aer arann have had to do all visual ndb dme approaches! At least it will keep them in practice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

G-CBHV wrote: »
    There's a Aussie D8 doing a water survey VH-LCL, I wonder is that what your seeing? Its based at Carnmore for a few weeks.

Cheers, just looked up some pics of it and that is the one. Mystery solved, thanks

Makes sense as it was heading out over the bay a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Both the Dash 8 and King Air were there today. The King Air was calibrating the ILS this morning. It's not often you see an Aussie Dash 8 in Ireland. Bit of a coincidence they should both be there at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

I seen it during history today myself!, ya it was there to calibrate the ils, the ils has been fixed for a few weeks tracker-man, just switched off and still not calibrated until today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

sorry should've been clearer! by out of service I meant it wasn't available! either way it was interesting to see how it was done. The aircraft, callsign "Calibrator" was making 7nm Arcs from the north east of the field to the south and back again, it did this numerous times, then it did a number of approaches and one thing I didn't understand (Maybe someone hear will know) is, on the approach for a missed approach the pilot requested the runway lights at 100% then immediatly at 90% then 80% then 70 and all the way down to 3%. Any ideas? In total it must have taken about 2 and a half hours to complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

http://www.flightprecision.co.uk/
    Thats them!
    The rea pilots are still approaching on the old adf reading though!

FPLB.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Pilots can request various lighting intensities to suit prevailing conditions. I guess that is calibrated too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

darragh-k wrote: »
    http://www.flightprecision.co.uk/
    Thats them!
    The rea pilots are still approaching on the old adf reading though!

FPLB.jpg

Crap i missed them, they did EIDW and Bal before that, they do all the RAF/RN Bases and Civvy UK Airports!

Advertisement