Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This is either misleading or the vendor does'nt understand the new tax rules.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Good find! It's both IMHO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Its all wrong.............Carzone should get the advertiser to correct it imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Unless its a English car to be VRt'd after July

kluivert wrote: »
    Unless its a English car to be VRt'd after July

it probably is, but he's still misleading a buyer with that.
    The tax will remain CC based on this car forever - regardless of it being VRT'd in july or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

Someone drop him a text informing him of his mistake :confused:

• Advertisement

mistake? hmmmmmmmmmmm...?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have noticed lots of these "mistakes" on carzone lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

It's the governments fault that people are confused, seeing as they put out info then backtracked on it.Now looks like a few sellers might be playing on this confusion to shift cars quickly.

The simplest and fairest way would have been that when pre 2008 cars go to get their motox tax renewed, they would get the option to renew at the c02 emissions rate if it was more favourable to them, regardless of whether it was an import or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

daRobot wrote: »
    It's the governments fault that people are confused, seeing as they put out info then backtracked on it.Now looks like a few sellers might be playing on this confusion to shift cars quickly.

The simplest and fairest way would have been that when pre 2008 cars go to get their motox tax renewed, they would get the option to renew at the c02 emissions rate if it was more favourable to them, regardless of whether it was an import or not.

That would imply there is common sense being used by the greens... :rolleyes:

it probably is, but he's still misleading a buyer with that.
    The tax will remain CC based on this car forever - regardless of it being VRT'd in july or not.

This is a prime example of a lack of understanding

Mr. Irish.

The new Tax rules for Second hand cars are this

Reg the car pre July - Road tax based on CC
    Reg the car post July - Road tax based on C02 emissions. (New Rates).

• Advertisement

Kluivert I think your wrong there, the car is pre 2008 so tax is calculated on current system forever no matter when it is registered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

tw0nk wrote: »
    Kluivert I think your wrong there, the car is pre 2008 so tax is calculated on current system forever no matter when it is registered?

Correct Twonk.

All pre 08 cars imported or otherwise will remain on cc based system for tax.

All new cars bought before july will be VRT'd on current system and will have the option to tax on emmisions based system after july.

All new cars purchased after july will be VRT'd and taxed on the Emmisions based system.

Imports after july will be VRT'd on an emmisions based system.

Mr. Irish.

Kluivert, your wrong.........and tell me, how are you meant to be a GOOD MODERATER if you dont even know all the facts yourself? Good Grief.......!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,425 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Kluivert, your wrong.........and tell me, how are you meant to be a GOOD MODERATER if you dont even know all the facts yourself? Good Grief.......!:mad:

First of all, kluivert is not a moderator of the motors section of boards. Secondly, a moderator of a particular forum on boards.ie doesn't necessarily have to know anything about the subjects discussed in that forum. And finally, do you never get anything wrong yourself?

All the Mods row in together..........and no, I'm never wrong (kiddin) LOL

Row....Row....Row....Row....:D

No need to go to the gym this evening now!

I was under the impression that New and second hand cars IMPORTED and REGISTERED after July 08 will be based on CO2 emissions for road tax purposes.

Thats where you made your error - you corrected me with information formed from an "impression" ??

Just wondering are you from Dublin or based in Dublin

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/staticContent.do?page=motortaxrates

You will see that there is a PDF file link for tax rates of new cars and second hand imported cars regsitered after July 2008.

Sorry buddy, but as a qualified accountant and tax advisor its one area I have a little bit of knowledge on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

It must be true..........its on tinternet...........:D

There is a lot of confusion Kluivert about the new tax, anything imported with a pre 08 reg will be cc based.

wait a sec kluivert, are you saying that what everyone has been saying on boards for last ages is wrong and that in fact all cars registered(regardless of year) in ireland from july onwards will be taxed on new rates?

btw, that pdf link is incorrect and tries to link to a doc file (july onwards link)

• Advertisement

Sorry buddy, but as a qualified accountant and tax advisor its one area I have a little bit of knowledge on.

I know who i wont be going for tax advice......

Should update your profile, says you are "part" qualified.....

From motortax.ie

MOTOR TAX RATES

RATES FROM 1 FEBRUARY 2008
    The attached document sets out the rates of motor tax effective
    from 1 February, 2008.

>> Motor Tax Rates (PDF)

CO2 EMISSION LEVEL RATES FROM 1 JULY 2008
    The attached document sets out the rates of motor tax for brand
    new vehicles/imported vehicles registered in this country
    after 1 July, 2008.

>> Motor Tax Rates (PDF)

AM I reading that wrong!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

You will see that there is a PDF file link for tax rates of new cars and second hand imported cars regsitered after July 2008.

Check the sticky at the top of the forum. You will see that:

Any new cars(08 reg on) registered from july will be VRT'd and Taxed on emissions.

Any secondhand cars(pre 08 reg) will be VRT'd on CO2 and Taxed on engine size as before. I'd recommend you get your facts right before accusing posters of being wrong, though the confusion is understandable considering the Gov's U-Turn. A lot of the sites including SIMI's site until recently and motortax.ie are wrong.

From motortax.ie

I dont know, your the tax expert......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Mr. Irish.

From motortax.ie

MOTOR TAX RATES

RATES FROM 1 FEBRUARY 2008
    The attached document sets out the rates of motor tax effective
    from 1 February, 2008.

>> Motor Tax Rates (PDF)

CO2 EMISSION LEVEL RATES FROM 1 JULY 2008
    The attached document sets out the rates of motor tax for brand
    new vehicles/imported vehicles registered in this country
    after 1 July, 2008.

>> Motor Tax Rates (PDF)

No just an out of date document.

That link for the PDF isn't working anymore

If you go to the Department of the Environment website it has the info on it. See below

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/
    The new CO2 based system will not apply to second-hand imports that were registered abroad prior to 2008.

oleras wrote: »
    I know who i wont be going for tax advice......

Should update your profile, says you are "part" qualified.....

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Ladies, ONLY VRT is changing for imports first registered before 1/1/08.

Imports first registered outside this country before 1/1/08 will have road tax done on engine size only, even if CO2 is >225 g/km.

That's from somebody with no expertise in anything Accounting related whatsoever:D!

The Government announced what I'm after saying back in early March btw, and the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government have the following on this page:
    Q:What about cars registered before January 2008?
    A:Cars registered before 2008, including impots, will continue to be taxed in future years under the existing motor tax system related to engine size. (c.c)

Thats Great E92, but i'm no lady.........ohhh, and don't forget YOUR handbag! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Sppppoooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnn

• Advertisement

:D Hands Up!

I was WRONG!

I have been educated!

The when I first read the finance bill it stated that the VRT and road would be based on CO2 Emissions.

Thanks lads for the info and apolagises to Mr. Irish for stating that he was clueless on tax. :D

Learned something new today, it ****ed up my plans now, I was going to import a 06 Honda Accord 2.2 i-CDTI from England later this summer, as I thought that the tax would be really cheap. :mad: Rip off country.

Advertisement