Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think......Too much???

• 23-05-2008 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi Mods hope this is ok.

Hi Guys im currently in the process of getting quotes together and im just wondering if you guys think the below is a good price.
    The house is 2278sqft and a 1 and half story.

Supply Timber Frame Kit and erect shell i.e. leave ready for blocklayer and roof tiler,
    Includes the supply and fitting of all plasterboard, insulation and 2nd fix carpentry
    ( Doors, Skirting, Architrave, Window Boards, Hot Press Shelves)

…€52,125 exc. 13.5% Vat

Timber Frame includes:

Walls (exterior) 2450mm high Ground Floor 2450mm high First Floor
    Vac Vac treated CLS or equivalent, stress graded 138 x 38mm (6"x 2") studs @ 400mm centres, with double top plates.
    • 9mm Sheathing Board with Approved Breather Paper.

Internal Walls

•Vac Vac treated CLS or equivalent, stress graded 89 x 38mm (4"x 2") studs @ 400mm centres, with double top plates.
    •Load bearing partitions to be Vac Vac treated CLS or equivalent 89 x 38mm (6"x 2") studs @ 400mm centres, with double top plates.
    •Load bearing partitions to have one row of blocking at mid-point and lintels over openings.

Roof:

•Cut or Truss Roof (175 x 44mm) in accordance with engineer's specs @ 400mm centres.
    •Lath and felt roof (50mm x 44mm treated battens).
    •175 x 25mm rough fascias.
    •Supply and fit polythene sleeved fibreglass cavity barrier.

Floors:

•220 x 42mm ceiling joists @ 400mm centers/300mm where required by engineers specs.
    •18mm plywood sub-floor (Habitable area only).
    •Solid bridging @ 1350mm centres.

Cheers
    Jonathan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sounds good to me Jonathon. What company is it with..

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If it wasnt too much extra, panelvent (or similar softboard material)boarding is a better material than OSB....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

What is insulation spec for external wall? . at 138mm at had better be polyurethane

suggest you look for 200 deep studs at 600 c/c - deeper void ( fill this ) for insulation and less thermal bridging

watch out for studs massing together around windows openings - more timber , less insulation .

use a composite plasterboard to line the walls . ( min 38mm )

be prepared to use a thicker board ( 62mm ) to walls ( usually front elevation ) where studs are tightly grouped .

use a two directional air tight / vapour barrier ( vapour tight in winter vapour permeable in summer )

appoint an air tightness tester to visit
    1. after first fix m+e and air tight vapour barrier - to do pre test
    2. near completion - to do test

oil is at record high - and set to continue breaking records this year . look for value now ( reason you posted of course ) . but remember - the more you pay now for build quality the less dramatic your increasing fuel bills will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sounds good to me Jonathon. What company is it with..
    PM the name please.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Sorry Guys i never said thank you for all the information.
    Well we have picked out the timber frame company (not the one above thanks to sinner boy);););)
    Just in the middle of getting quotes from contractors and i have got this one again im not sure if its too much.

The house is 1.5 story and 2300 sqft

Substructure €27,231.15
    Superstructure €26,811.47
    Roof covering and windows €29,331.82
    Rendering and Insulating €29,063.16
    Finishes €47,454.40
    Scaffolding €7,980.00
    Drainage and external Works €19,019.00
    Garage €21,945.00
    Total €208,836.00

The above is ex VAT some of the stuff seems steep like scaffolding and the windows but i could be wrong??

Man i cant wait for this to be done:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LoopyBum

What is the price per week for the scaffolding and where are you getting windows... steer clear of MJ I'm told... My 'all round the house' scaffolding is 220 plus VAT per week... not sure how hot or not that is!

Advertisement