Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Final Trip Report

• 23-05-2008 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

[size=-12]Mods if you want to merge this with the final thread that's fine, thought it might be interesting to get trip reports from those of us lucky enough to get there[/size]

Part 1: The build-up

I was lucky enough to get a ticket for this from a contact in a supporters club in the UK. As I was going on my own I decided to travel with them and so left my house at 9am on Tuesday morning to fly into Doncaster airport. From there it was an hour on a bus into a town called Worksop where the supporters club is based.

I met with my contact and we sat in his restaurant watching MUTV and drinking as people came and went throughout the day, picking up tickets dropping in to wish us luck etc. My plan was to try and get a couple of hours sleep in the evening before leaving for Manchester but it never happened. By 8 there were over 20 of us there, having a few drinks and chatting while watching the two teams training and the various interviews that were being shown on MUTV. We left Worksop at midnight for the drive down to Manchester, 42 of us in total, and the atmosphere was already building as we sang United songs along the way.

Arrived in Manchester airport at around 2am, needless to say it was absolutely packed, a rolling sea of red as supporters made their way to check-in and through to the departures area. Here the bars were packed with fans laughing and joking discussing the trip and expected outcomes, and as fevered a united fan as I am, even I thought 6-0 was a stretch to far :) Check in was easy, no issues, no delays on the flight and we left almost as scheduled at around 4.45am.

Touching down in Moscow, I admit to some trepidation. After all the buildup over the last few weeks, and the stories of being herded to buses and heavy handed police action, I wasn't sure what would happen. The plane went straight past the terminal building and onto an old disused runway, looking out the window I could see a mini-bus of armed police keeping speed with us and feared that the stories may well have had some merit. It took over 30 minutes for them to get the plane to wear they wanted it and arrange for a bus to come and pick us up, the police never left their bus, seen but not involved. This was to become a theme for the duration of the trip, and in my opinion is the best kind of police involvement.

After being bussed to the main terminal we went inside to find no cordon of police, no corridor that we were forced down, just go through customs and immigration like everybody else. They checked passports and tickets to ensure they were valid and we were waved through, some of us had started to fill in immigration forms, only to be told that they weren't required, just your passport and match ticket. Once through customs we were in the arrivals area, and were free to roam around, there was a bar there and drink was freely flowing. Nobody hassled us to move on, nobody tried to force us to board buses, again there was a heavy police presence, but it was all in the background.

Leaving the airport and there were indeed a row of buses waiting to take fans to the stadium area, this was a standard drop off point for everyone. Incidentally, the Chelsea fans were in a completely different airport to us, so there was total segregation. Onto the bus and for at least the next 5 miles the far side of the road had one lane just filled with hundreds of buses, all waiting to be called forward to pick up the next set of passengers, I thought it was fairly surreal and gave a sense of just how many people were arriving on the United side. Given that the same must have been taking place the Chelsea airport, the logistics of the operation were huge, and seemed to be managed to perfection.

It took us 90 minutes to get from the airport to the drop off point, and all along the way local police and traffic cops were diverting cars and routes to make it easier for us, I dread to think how long it would have taken otherwise. The road running in the opposite location to us had tailbacks running for miles, even though there were 4 and 5 lanes available almost all the way. The drop off point was about 2-3 miles from the stadium itself, there was no traffic allowed down that road, and literally every 5 yards there was a russian soldier along the way. I say soldier but really they must have been cadets, some of them looked barely out of their teens. Mind you some of the female cadets were unbeliveably hot, if only I wasn't married..and could speak russian...and was 10 years younger...ahh you get the point!

When we got to the stadium there was a metro station directly opposite it, and anybody who wanted to could just walk in and get a metro to anywhere in the city. So much for the gulags and pens we heard so much about :rolleyes: As it happened I was happy enough to stay around the stadium area, so the group split with some heading for red square and some going towards the stadium proper. Tickets were checked at this point before being let through, then there was a winding road around to the stadium and fan zone. Along the way there was a merchandising stand and a place to buy match programs. The programme cost varied between 300r (€7.50) and 500r (€14) depending on who you asked, and the merchandise as with every match, concert and event was ridicously over-priced. Between 500-1000r(€14-€28) for a scarf, 1000r (€28) for a t-shirt, and 2500r (€70) for a jersey. Of course I still bought a scarf and a couple of t-shirts so I helped to fuel these prices!

Then you get to the stadium proper, and again they check your ticket and give a cursory patting down before allowing you to enter. We were told and witnessed that contrary to popular belief, you could enter this area and leave at any point you wanted to and still be entitled to come back later on. Inside this zone there was more merchandising stands as well as food & drink stands. Walking around the stadium and you got to the to Man Utd fanzone, which I have to say was a major disappointment. In reality all it contained was food stands, and a stage where there was little or no entertainment all day. Granted it started raining early and never really stopped for any length of time but it was still a let-down.

Anyway, I went into the stadium about 2.5 hours before kick-off to witness the build-up and soak up the atmosphere...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

...So I took my seat a couple of hours before kick-off and there was already a buzz in the stadium, they were showing a montage of classic champions league moments including the madrid v frankfurt final, 120k+ fans, 10 goals, 4 in 25 minutes, and a resounding victory for an unplayable Madrid team of the time. They also ran through the top clubs, top players, managers and goal scorers in the history of the competition. They highlighted the tragedy of '58 counterpointed with the elation of '68, in a poignant series of video clips.

As we got closer to kick-off the stadium started to fill up and the fans found their voices, songs rang around the stadium as the kick-off time moved ever closer. Players from both sets of teams came out and walked around the pitch to cheers and boos depending on which side they were playing for ;) The united team came out to warm-up a good 10 minutes before the chelsea team did, I wonder did that have an effect on the start of the match?

As the teams came out onto the pitch prior to kick-off they were greeted by a wall of white & blue flags provided by Chelsea to their supporters. As they turned their eyes to the United end a matching wall of red and white spelt out BELEIVE to the United team ( for reference to where my seat was, I was part of the B almost directly behind the corner flag to the right of the goal) and the sound level jumped a couple of decibels. The stadium took a metaphoric catch of breath as the ref raised the whistle to his lips, and the game was on.

All week the Chelsea preparation has looked tense and strained. Just look at the makele challenge on cole during training. By contrast United looked relaxed and carefree, I spoke with one of the Sky Sports reporters at the fan xone and he had been at the united hotel that morning. He told me that he saw Ronaldo walking through the lobby and Nani came running from behind him and knocked his cap off his head before sprinting past him, Ronaldo picked up his cap and went charging after him laughing and grinning. So relaxed, almost as though they were vacation rather than hours away from the biggest game of their careers to date. This contrast was highlighted as United took a stranglehold on the game early on, some slick passing and movement left Chelsea reeling and United were well on top. A goal was always coming and Ronaldo duly delivered, a great cross into the box was met at the back post and the ball settled in the corner of the net. There was a milisecond where the united fans held their breath and then an explosion of noise as the net rustled, I was hugging people I'd never met before and jumping up and down like a child. Half the stadium exploded and the noise was incredible, like nothing I've ever experienced before, jubiliation and raw emotion poured out of over twenty thousand fans as the team celebrated on the pitch and the big screens replayed the goal over and over again.

United continued to dominate and really should have added to their advantage, Tevez coming close from a lightning raid started by Rooney battling and winning the ball at his own corner flag before smacking an 80 yard cross field ball to Ronaldo who controlled and skipped past Ashely cole before delivering a brilliant ball to Tevez whose diving header was brilliantly saved by Cech, Terry half cleared and Carrick on the edge of the box really should have done better with the follow up. A lack of composure that could have proved costly. The jubliation of a few minutes earlier was matched in intensity by the disbelief at the miss. Although United were on top there was concern around the number of shots Chelsea were being allowed with United backing off and giving them space to have a pop. I couldn't figure out why United were allowing this happen, but I looked up Chelseas stats this morning and found this so maybe Ferguson gave them specific instructions;

Champions League Record : 214 shots 78 on target 18 goals
    Premier League Record : 516 shots 270 on target 64 goals
    Total Record : 730 shots 348 on target 82 goals

So an average of 1 goal per 9 odd shots, but the tactic backfired in the 44th minute when Essien was allowed to press forward and get a shot off, Vidic half-blocked it before it hit Ferdinand and bounced into the box. Even then I thought Van Der Sar would make it but he slipped on his way out of the goal and Lampard pounced to equalise. For the first time in the match I heard the Chelsea fans above the United fans, as they celebrated getting out of jail. Their team should have been dead and buried but Uniteds wastefulness in front of goal had allowed them to get back into the game.

The half time whistle went soon after to cheers from the Chelsea fans and disappoint from the United end. We were still singing but gutted at letting them back into the game. The second half began and United seemed really deflated after conceding so late in the half, Chelsea were on top, still getting plenty of space up to 25 yards out from Uniteds goal, and literally queueing up to take pot shots at uniteds goal. United never got going in the second half, and if Avram Grant had any tactical awareness at all Chelsea could have ended the game inside of 90 minutes. After 60 minutes he should have brought on Anelka for Makelele and gone for it, United were on the back foot and Chelsea needed more optons up top. Thankfully, from my point of view, Grant is lost tactically and didn't make any changes. United managed to weather the storm and if they had shown slightly more composure in the final 3rd of the pitch may well have scored a goal or two in the second half themselves.

When the game went into extra-time I feared the worst, although from about 75 minutes in we had at least started to get back into the game and create chances. Extra time went past in a blur, and I had my head in my hands when Lampard hit the bar and the ball dropped to Joe Cole only for him to half-volley over the bar. Meanwhile at the other end Giggs was denied by John Terry from what would surely have been the winning goal. With a couple of minutes left it all kicked off in the corner of the pitch, Terry laughably having a go at Tevez for doing exactly what Chelsea did twice before in the game when we had put the ball out of play for their players to get treatment. It descended into a handbags affair with Drogba getting stupidly sent off for slapping Vidic, the United fans struck up a resounding chorus of Cheerio to help him on his way. Extra time ended and we were faced with penalties, prompting prayers that it would be at our end and we'd come out on top!

When Ronaldo missed his penalty I stood with slack jawed disbelief as the Chelsea fans hooted and jeered. I though Van der Sar had saved Ashley Cole's penalty and jumped in celebration until the ball squirmed into the net. John Terry stepped up to take their 5th penalty and all I could think of was “not him, please god not him of all people” luckily he slipped as he went to take it and we were given a lifeline. As Anelka stepped up I was confident he might miss it as I couldn't believe he hadn't taken one of the first 5 penalties, as a striker there seemed something wrong with that. Van der Sar palmed it away and we went wild, pandemodium ensued as fans jumped out of their seats and hugged anybody within range and unbeliveable finish to an incredible night. The sound was like nothing I've ever experienced, my ears were literally sore afterwards. As the Chelsea players went up for the medals, a subsection of the crowed booed them, but everyone around me was clapping them up, they were unlucky to lose and put up a great fight.

The rest of the celebrations were a blur to be honest, we spent over 2 hours in the stadium maybe 45 minutes or so of which had the players and staff on the pitch singing and dancing alongside us, It was one of the most incredible nights of my life, and will live forever in memory. When Giggs broke the appearance record, I was there. When Van der Sar saved from Anelka, I was there. When United won the Champions League 50 years after the Muich disaster, I was there.

I was there, and I'll never forget it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So who won? :p

Ah no great report, fair play

The mosaic was class. Couldnt believe (aprdon the pun!) that they had done it for the CL Final! I was under the "I" for the mosaic in Old Trafford for the Barca game. Its a 50-50 in its popularity with United fans but I liked it, and the organisation that organised it (stretfordendflags) said that it received a very positive reception form the players. Class.

Great report dude, I read some reports on redcafe and all the fans now LOVE Evra cos he was the first player to come to the fans after the save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Interesting report.

Was there any trouble in Moscow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Excellent post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

+1 Great post.

Ye total jammy git :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Great report.

Wish I was there!!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Brilliant post! Fair play, wish I was there... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

You jammy git...woulda given anything to be there:(

Thanks for the compliments on the post lads.
    Interesting report.

Was there any trouble in Moscow?

I didn't see or hear of any trouble, a lot of the police and soldiers were joking with the fans, wearing scarfs etc. A few Moscovites had swapped local scarves with some of the fans and there were a lot of pictures being taken.

The only hint of trouble came at the very end of the night, around 2.30-3am local time the celebrations in the stadium had wound down and fans were trying to leave, the russians were letting fans out in sections with the bottom section from right to left being let out first, unfortunately flights were scheduled from 4am on, and people were panicking that they might miss their flights.

This led to fans in the higher sections climbing over seats and fencing to try and get out of the stadium, the police and soldiers reacted by surrounding the area and stopping people from climbing over fencing, unfortunately those at the back couldn't see that and so kept pressing forward. I never felt that there was real danger, but there was a tension rising until they opened all the gates. In fairness to them, they were just trying to empty the stadium in a safe way, but it probably could have been handled better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

I too was there. Phenomenal. I was on the tunnel side of the ground, but down near the Utd fans end, where the penalties were taken. Phenomenal night.

Only bad bit for me was, on the organised bus from airport -> game, our bus driver got lost! Honestly, he had one route, how they managed to employ someone who didn't even know how to get to their national stadium is beyond me. luckily we got there just in time, was in to see the last few minutes of the lads warm up.

Ronaldo's goal though, what a moment. There was a split second where I think no-one knew if it was in or not, and pure silence. Then suddenly, I realised each and every one of the Utd players was running in a different direction in joy, and all the Utd fans took off. It was phenomenal.

Watching JT's penalty then, I was on the opposite side. What an awful moment as he stepped up to take it, and then all I knew was Ed was gone the wrong way...and I stood waiting for the net to bulge. But it never did! Unbelievable. What a moment.

As for when Ed saved Anelka's, oh my god. Pandemonium is pretty much the only word. Just hugging random strangers, many of whom are close to tears.

I tell you what, I vow not to miss another CL final should Utd manage to make one in my lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

excellent post, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

"There was a milisecond where the united fans held their breath and then an explosion of noise as the net rustled, I was hugging people I'd never met before and jumping up and down like a child. Half the stadium exploded and the noise was incredible, like nothing I've ever experienced before, jubiliation and raw emotion poured out"

Fairly well sums up Bohs 87th minute winner against Cork for me, can only imagine what that'd be like in the cl final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Great story. You should sell it to some leaving certer to copy for one of those "most memorable day of my life" yokes they throw at you in the English exam :)

Iago wrote: »
    [
    I say soldier but really they must have been cadets, some of them looked barely out of their teens. Mind you some of the female cadets were unbeliveably hot, ...ahh you get the point!

Oh god yes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_KRl3v1Lwk

Ive no idea how I was drunk youtubing one night and woke up with some Russian dance tune with stripping army women in my favourites list but there you go.

shane86 wrote: »
    Great story. You should sell it to some leaving certer to copy for one of those "most memorable day of my life" yokes they throw at you in the English exam :)

Oh god yes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_KRl3v1Lwk

Ive no idea how I was drunk youtubing one night and woke up with some Russian dance tune with stripping army women in my favourites list but there you go.

Quality video, there were some stunning women there. The day itself will take some beating but hopefully we'll have it all again in 12 months time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If ye don't mind me asking lads, how much did the whole thing cost you in all? Flights, tickets, accomodation..... vodka? :p

DaveMcG wrote: »
    If ye don't mind me asking lads, how much did the whole thing cost you in all? Flights, tickets, accomodation..... vodka? :p

it wasn't that expensive for me really, around €2k all-in

Advertisement