Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS Alarm

Options
  • 23-05-2008 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I want to get some sort of connection that would text me in the event of my house alarm being activated. I was looking at this on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=360052813306&Category=41969&_trksid=p3907.m29

and was wondering what people who know about this sort of thing think of it? Is there a cheaper/better option? Also, what is the story with installation, could I do it myself (not technically minded at all) or would I need an electrician or alarm engineer?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

I'm getting a house alarm now with a croud called ABC Security in Carlow.
    They have a system where, if the alarm goes off, it rings and texts a list of numbers (configurable up to 99) for you.

They install in a day and they're very well priced. I wouldn't trust myself to install something like that myself to be honest.

Just make sure the croud you go with are certified with the official regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

Thanks for that info smokingman I might give them a call and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Chiron,

I have a spare io SMS boards form a Hungarian (www.tell.hu) company that I have used for exactly this. I would sell it if you are interested for €250. You can use the alarm to power if it has 12v out which has the advantage of having a battery backup. It does not have a box although I can provide an oversized one.

I can forward a manual to review if you want. You will need to use a relay output from the alarm to close a contact on this board which will ring up to 4 nunbers and send text message. Parents use it very successfully - it can also
    text when the alarm is reset - very useful to avoid panic on a false alarm when a legitimate entrant accidently sets of the alarm.

You can also use this board to drive 2 outputs using dtmf codes ie. turn on heat or lights remotely. I will provide whatever help you need and if you want to collect show it to you working so you know exactly what your doing..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I love Menvier products, they are top quality pro kit. Here's their current speech/txt dialler device that uses a pay-as-you-go SIM card. Much the same as the Ebay device above, but nicer interface. Costs about £275 STG

http://www.coopersecurity.co.uk/default.aspx?page=sd3

Advertisement