Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ahhhh..driving test...advice needed!

Options
  • 23-05-2008 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Ok well I applied for my driving test recently and have it in a month!

Few silly questions and things I should know..

It's in the morning so if it's an overcast day do I put my lights on?
    I prefer driving in my bare feet .. I probably shouldn't do this should I?
    Can i have the radio on?
    do I chit chat with the instructor?
    Do they always ask you to parallel park?
    What do youu need to know about the engine when they ask you to open the bonnett?

Any one had theirs recently?

all advice greatly appricated!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

We have a motors forum you know.
    Moved.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

All these things should be answered by your instructor. Check out the Learning to Drive forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭nataliehun

Yes thought there was alright but couldn't find it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

nataliehun wrote: »
    its in the morning so ifs an overcast day do i put my lights on?
    Put on your side lights, full lights can distract oncoming traffic.
    nataliehun wrote:
    i prefer driving in my bare feet .. i prob sudnt do this sud i?
    I would imagine shoes would be preferable.
    nataliehun wrote:
    can i have the radio on?
    No idea, I would imagine as before you're better of not.
    do i chit chat with the instructer?
    Thats up to you.
    wat do u need to know about the engine when they ask you to open the bonnett?
    You should know as a minimum where you put the wiper fluid, break fluid and oil for the engine (and how to measure it).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

its in the morning so ifs an overcast day do i put my lights on?

Side lights should be ok.
    i prefer driving in my bare feet .. i prob sudnt do this sud i?

No. You should not.
    can i have the radio on?

NO
    do i chit chat with the instructer?

NO
    do they always ask you to parell park?

I was not asked to.

Get your driving instructer to show you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

Parallel parking it not part of the test neither is an emergency stop, but I think they are coming in next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

No its not part of the test - the only set maneuvers are the reverse around the corner, the hill start and turn about.

have a look in the forum, theres plenty of threads about the engine checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Have you had many driving lessons? It doesn't sound like you have, which is fair enough I guess, but I would suggest you get some if you have time as they'll show you exactly what is expected of you during the test.

Think about it in terms of the Leaving. You wouldn't turn up to one of the Leaving Cert exams in say, your pyjamas, would you? It's a formal setting and expects certain formal behaviour - shoes, no radio and no talk. If you're talking to the tester/listening to the radio then you're not concentrating properly on the road, or at least the tester will probably see it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

You do ask some strange questions.:pac:

My advice is wear your shoes.You are not a kid and driving bare footed could be a risk.

Driving with the radio on and chit-chatting with the instructor are all failure/disqualifier myths but nobody in the right mind would consider either.

Know your reverse around the corner and turn-about and hill starts and as far as the engine is concerned,know about the oil gauge and the water gauge and how to open the bonnet.Know your tire thread depths etc.

If you are nervous,take rescue remedy.It did me the world of good when I did my test.Just 2 sprays on the tongue will relax you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

blackbelt wrote: »
    If you are nervous,take rescue remedy.It did me the world of good when I did my test.Just 2 sprays on the tongue will relax you.
    I'd be checking the package for "May cause drowsiness. Do not drive." warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Victor wrote: »
    I'd be checking the package for "May cause drowsiness. Do not drive." warnings.

just take it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

blackbelt wrote: »

Wouldn't be advising that, its 30% brandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Probably if it is very overcast.

Might be a tad weird but you should be as comfortable as possible doing it.

Can i have the radio on?
    Nope.

As a general rule no, however my instructor talked the whole way through the test.

That isn't part of the test. The only mandatory manoeuvres are the reverse around the corner, the hill start and the turnabout (or 3 point turn as it used to be called)

What do you need to know about the engine when they ask you to open the bonnet?
    They could ask you where the engine oil, the brake fluid, the windscreen washing fluid, the coolant and power steering fluid are (if you have it, might be electric) They can either ask you to point them out or ask how you can tell if there's enough (check side of bottle/holder or check dipstick for engine oil.

Any one had theirs recently?
    Yup, yesterday in Baldoyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

my instructor talked the whole way through the test
    You brought your instructor along during your test! :eek: Didn't the examiner mind? :D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Ciaran500 wrote: »

That's what I thought, but I had a pretest last Tuesday in Orwell and the guy I had advised me to use it on the day of the test :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Ciaran500 wrote: »

30 % of the time it works....all the time! :pac:

OT tho.....wear shoes, leave the radio off, and don't speak unless spoken to!
    Know the 5 under bonnet checks: Washer fluid, brake fluid, coolant, oil and brake fluid!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 raineljm

Fizman wrote: »
    30 % of the time it works....all the time! :pac:

OT tho.....wear shoes, leave the radio off, and don't speak unless spoken to!
    Know the 5 under bonnet checks: Washer fluid, brake fluid, coolant, oil and brake fluid!
    u mentioned brake fluid twice, what's the 5th one?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

raineljm wrote: »
    Possibly he/she meant to include power steering fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

raineljm wrote: »

Woops, thats a fail for me! :pac:

As Wishbone said, I meant power steering fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

When doing the test route where I am on one section it is 100 ... when out practicing tonight i was doing 80 but not a confident 80 in that i felt the need to slow it down to about 60 ...

On the day of the test what speed on that road would be appropriate without going too far below the limit and being graded badly for being too slow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

kerry4sam wrote: »
    When doing the test route where I am on one section it is 100 ... when out practicing tonight i was doing 80 but not a confident 80 in that i felt the need to slow it down to about 60 ...

On the day of the test what speed on that road would be appropriate without going too far below the limit and being graded badly for being too slow?

Were you on a dual carriage way? Or just a national road? it's hard to give advise on what speed you should do without knowing exactly what road. The 100km/h is a maximum limit, you would need to consider road conditions, visibility,etc. A rule of thumb would be to keep up with traffic on the road, and leaving a safe distance between yourself and the vehicle infront, Causing an unnecessary build up of traffic behind you would result in a fault for progress. Remembering to keep under the 100km/h limit of course!

Were you on a dual carriage way? Or just a national road? it's hard to give advise on what speed you should do without knowing exactly what road. The 100km/h is a maximum limit, you would need to consider road conditions, visibility,etc. A rule of thumb would be to keep up with traffic on the road, and leaving a safe distance between yourself and the vehicle infront, Causing an unnecessary build up of traffic behind you would result in a fault for progress. Remembering to keep under the 100km/h limit of course!

A national road - a by-pass of the town to be exact ... I was advised not to keep up with the cars but go at a comfortable pace without holding up to many :o

Their is certainly no fear of my going over the limit anyways :) especially on the test-day ... My test will be on a sarurday in the afternoon so it will be quite busy and i don't want to annoy the tester and/or drivers behind me or loose unnecessary marks

kerry4sam wrote: »
    A national road - a by-pass of the town to be exact ... I was advised not to keep up with the cars but go at a comfortable pace without holding up to many :o

Their is certainly no fear of my going over the limit anyways :) especially on the test-day ... My test will be on a sarurday in the afternoon so it will be quite busy and i don't want to annoy the tester and/or drivers behind me or loose unnecessary marks

If you keep up with traffic on the road and remain under the speed limit, i can see absolutely no faults arising. An all too common mistake made by drivers on test day is over caution. Driving too slow and unnecessarily holding up traffic will result in marks against you on the progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

My tester chit-chatted to me several times throughout the test, but I would advise not to try to if he does not initiate in coversation as I found it was a little distracting while driving but it was partly my fault I kept talking back alot. I'm sure they can pick up on certain people who to and not to talk to although I'd imagine they probably shouldn't talk to you.

I wouldn't go driving in bear feet, you shouldn't be having any problems driving with shoe's on.

HungryJoey wrote: »
    ... I'm sure they can pick up on certain people who to and not to talk to although I'd imagine they probably shouldn't talk to you...

I'll agree with you on that one and no doubt he'll get that message too on the day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sweetbubbly

Hi Natalie

Yes, your side lights and if its very heavy rain put your dims on.

Not advisable, Choose a pair of shoes that you are comfortable in and will not slip off your feet, very high heels, slip ons and flip flops are definate no no's. But make sure you practice driving with your shoes on, otherwise you may have difficulty driving on your test.

Can i have the radio on?

Definately not.

I wouldnt advise it, if they speak to you, by all means talk back but I wouldnt try and begin a conversation with them, they are they to test your driving and tend to see talking as a distraction. They dont tend to talk too much because if they fail you, you could turn around and blame them for distracting you.....

It all depends on what test centre you are doing your driving test in, if you do your test in Finglas RSA or SGS you will not be asked to parallel park, as their parking spaces within the test centres are both box parking spaces, however if you are doing your test in Raheny, you will more than likely be asked to parallel park as that is the only available parking around the test centre.
    You will definitley be asked to do a turnabout, a reverse around a corner (on the passenger side of your car) and generally a hillstart.

What do youu need to know about the engine when they ask you to open the bonnett?

Generally they ask 4 things, where the oil, the coolant, the brake fluid and the water for you window wipers go. You should also know how to dip the engine for oil, They wont ask you to do it, but they might ask you to tell them how you do it.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to do a pre test about 2 weeks before your test. If you have any seriously bad habits you are giving yourself time to fix the problem. I wish you the very best of luck. Any more questions please feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi Natalie

Put your dipped lights on irregardless of the weather and there is no problem driving barefoot.

Radio/music. Turned on very low - ask his permission, he can only say no. However, it might interfere with you hearing his instructions, so best to practice driving in silence. But there is no problem with asking him/her before moving off.

Engine checks. You may also be asked to point out the battery

Hi Natalie

Yes, your side lights and if its very heavy rain put your dims on.

It is illegal to drive with your parking lights on, so do not put them on under any circumstances. If you want you can put on your dipped headlights.
    J_R wrote: »
    Hi Natalie

Radio/music. Turned on very low - ask his permission, he can only say no. However, it might interfere with you hearing his instructions, so best to practice driving in silence. But there is no problem with asking him/her before moving off.

Turn off the radio completely, no point on keeping it on, it only acts as a distraction for both you and the examinor.

Turn off the radio completely, no point on keeping it on, it only acts as a distraction for both you and the instructor.

Did say radio/music, my shorthand for music. Radio yes, could be a distraction, due to commercial breaks, news, different music etc., but appropriate background music provided just about audible above the engine noise should not be a distraction.

There is no law against having music playing softly in the background and provided OK with the EXAMINER, why not ??. It might help steady the nerves.

But completely up to the examiner, there are no guidelines.

• Advertisement

It is illegal to drive with your parking lights on, so do not put them on under any circumstances. If you want you can put on your dipped headlights.

Parking lights are totally useless if they are used in an attempt to increase visibility of the car during daylight. Very often you will see the car first, then the fact that the parking lights are lit.

But news to me that they are illegal to have them on whilst driving. Would love to know the reasoning behind this legislation

Advertisement