Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ahhhh..driving test...advice needed!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

J_R wrote: »
    Did say radio/music, my shorthand for music. Radio yes, could be a distraction, due to commercial breaks, news, different music etc., but appropriate background music provided just about audible above the engine noise should not be a distraction.

There is no law against having music playing softly in the background and provided OK with the EXAMINER, why not ??. It might help steady the nerves.

But completely up to the examiner, there are no guidelines.

I meant examiner, even the best of us make mistakes:pac:!. Anyway, i would not recommend leaving the radio on, to say it will calm the nerves is ridiculous, there's only one thing you should be concentrating on and that's your driving. You're right there's no Law against it, but i can't see any examiner allowing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

My examiner asked the odd chatty questions just near the end of the exam -what do I work at and things like that. It actually made me feel more relaxed but im now thinking could it be part of the exam to see if you can progress safely while being distracted? can anyone clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fletch... wrote: »
    but im now thinking could it be part of the exam to see if you can progress safely while being distracted? can anyone clarify?
    No it isn't part of the test nor is there any 'trick' questions/parts.

Personally speaking, in all the various tests I've done, none of the examiners spoke to me other than to give instructions/directions. That is exactly the way I wanted it. I don't understand why some posters are delighted to get a chatty examiner. I would feel like telling him to 'shut up'! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Hi.Is it ok to drive on the wrong side of the road/cross the single white line if theres cars badly parked on the road?

Do you need to indicate as well even if there no cars behind you:confused:

sxt wrote: »
    Hi.Is it ok to drive on the wrong side of the road/cross the single white line if theres cars badly parked on the road?

Do you need to indicate as well even if there no cars behind you:confused:

It sounds odd putting it like that "driving on the wrong side of the road", but yes if there is a continuous white line and there is a badly parked car blocking the road you can of course cross the white line. And always indicate around obstacles and the likes, even if there's no one behind you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

always indicate around obstacles and the likes, even if there's no one behind you!

My instructor told me to only indicate if there is someone to indicate to. He said if you indicate and there is no one behind you, to the tester it looks like you are not aware of your surroundings as you don't seem to realise there is no one behind you. On the day of my test I went around loads of parked cars and didn't indicatr unless there was someone to indicate to and I didn't receive any faults for signals.

My instructor told me to only indicate if there is someone to indicate to. He said if you indicate and there is no one behind you, to the tester it looks like you are not aware of your surroundings as you don't seem to realise there is no one behind you. On the day of my test I went around loads of parked cars and didn't indicatr unless there was someone to indicate to and I didn't receive any faults for signals.

I would disagree with the only indicate if there is someone behind you statement, even the most observant of drivers can fail to see cyclists coming up behind them, especially since cyclists will be on your "inside" or far left of the road.
    Perhaps my statement about always indicating was a bit black and white if you get me, had i come to a stop behind the obstacle as there was traffic coming the opposite direction, i would indicate my intention when there was a gap in the traffic. But i suppose indicating around every obstacle might be a bit extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 giddynurse

Definitely wear shoes..
    Spoke when spoken to..
    OVER TAKE BUSES WHEN THEYRE STOPPED..
    look in your mirrors every ten seconds..
    keep your hands at ten and two o'clock..

the highest thing to be failed on, is observation

i did my test 2months ago and passed first time..
    just look in your mirrors loads, girls are good at that anyway ;)

best of luck in it..
    just drive as best as you can and dont concentrate too much on being observed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭nataliehun

giddynurse wrote: »
    Definitely wear shoes..
    Spoke when spoken to..

really? OVERTAKE BUSES WHEN THERE STOPPED?

SHOULD I NOT JUST WAIT BEHIND THEM THEY ONLY EVER STOP FOR 1 MINUTE AT A TIME

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

nataliehun wrote: »
    Ok well I applied for my driving test recently and have it in a month!

Few silly questions and things I should know..

It's in the morning so if it's an overcast day do I put my lights on?
    I prefer driving in my bare feet .. I probably shouldn't do this should I?
    Can i have the radio on?
    do I chit chat with the instructor?
    Do they always ask you to parallel park?
    What do youu need to know about the engine when they ask you to open the bonnett?

Any one had theirs recently?

all advice greatly appricated!

Fred Flintstone never had any problems doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭nataliehun

thanks man
    least someone is on my wave lenght!

nataliehun wrote:
    No - you'll be expected to pass then if it is safe and legal to do so. Otherwise you may incur a 'progress' fault.

(No need for all upper case letters Natalie).

nataliehun wrote: »
    Definitely wear shoes..
    Spoke when spoken to..

really? OVERTAKE BUSES WHEN THERE STOPPED?

trust me natalie.. i thought i would wait behind a bus.. so i waited behind it twice in a row.. and the driving tester fella or whatever you call dem, said that if i waited behind the bus again, then i fail!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fashioncookie

I drive with my bare left foot, as I find it easier to control the clutch. Did it on my test and didn't get marked for it. If you're comfortable driving barefoot I don't see why that should be an issue with the examiner? If that's the way you would be driving under normal circumstances anyway

youre definitely not allowed to drive in your bare feet, and if you have before then the examiner obviously didnt notice this strange habit.. its a dangerous one, and you could even injure your toes whence driving.. learn to drive with shoes, its not always about what youre comfortable with, but also what is safe.. and bare feet are not !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

youre definitely not allowed to drive in your bare feet, !

Hi,

I have had two pupils do the test in their bare feet. One took both shoes off, other only one.

Different examiner, neither mentioned feet/shoes/toes.

youre definitely not allowed to drive in your bare feet
    There is absolutely nothing in any of the Road Traffic Acts and the Statutory Instruments made under those acts specifying that a driver must wear footwear while driving on a public road.

How can you be so definite? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fashioncookie

youre definitely not allowed to drive in your bare feet, and if you have before then the examiner obviously didnt notice this strange habit.. its a dangerous one, and you could even injure your toes whence driving.. learn to drive with shoes, its not always about what youre comfortable with, but also what is safe.. and bare feet are not !

surely it's not 'safe', if I feel that the car is less in my control with a shoe on? I wear ballet flats anyway, my toes are as likely to be injured with them on! :)

hrmm.. i wear those lil shoesies too.. theyre like paper, i always bash my toe off stuff! anyway thats off the point, but yeah, i suppose.. i just thought if you drove in your bare feet, it would be unsafe? and i just havent heard of it before :P

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

I used to drive in my bare feet the whole time when I was first learning, so I could really feel the bite etc. If I do it for a long time though, my foot starts to cramp up :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement