Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secular Republic?

• 23-05-2008 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

This is more of a secularist rant than anything else, perhaps it should be in the politics board (mods move if you wish) but this
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0523/breaking33.htm
    really annoys me, the head of our State and armed forces going on a jolly with more members of the Defence Forces than are in Chad (with the head of the Chad mission who I would have thought would have more important things to be doing) to a fake shrine to a specific religion to a cermony that was designed for the French and Germans not to invade each other again. AAARGH!
    have a nice weekend.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd be less concerned about people enjoying a trip to a shrine if we didn't have to fund 500 of our military alright!

Or course, we don't know - it may only be subsidised and the trippers are paying the bulk themselves. As for Mary McAleese, lets face it she's catholic, and head of the state, she might as well show her face. Someone was always going to represent the nation and Dustin can't do everything. ;)

I'm amused by the term "International Military Pilgrimage".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dades wrote: »
    Weren't they the Crusades?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Dades wrote: »
    Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

One of the posts in this thread explains it, and its not mine or yours, so even if you guess randomly you've got a 1/3 chance of getting it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Talliesin wrote: »
    Why?

Because it was a humourous phrase?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

of course you have to figure out if we're a republic first

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055187868

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Because it was a humourous phrase?
    In which way?

It's a pilgrimage of military personnel from around the world. What's funny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Because, as robindch said above ^, it could be another (funny!) term for the Crusades?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i got banned on the military forum for suggesting that..

Advertisement