Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RKQ meeting of Architectural Technicians

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

topcatcbr wrote: »
    The title architect is now protected by the building control act. So any use of this would require the approval of the RIAI and i cannot see this happening.

It would mean becoming full members of the RIAI

The Building Control Act requires Architects to register, the RIAI is overseening this phase.

Registered Architects do not have to become members of the RIAI.
    There is no reason that Technical Architect could not be registered, protected and administered by a Government body.

Minister Gormley stated "Section 14 (4) of the Act provides that “membership of the registration body is not a prerequisite for registration in the register or continuance of registration but all registered professionals are eligible for membership of the registration body and the same fee shall be charged for registration in the register whether or not the particular person is a member of the registration body”.

The RIAI do not own the title "Architect".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

They do administer the use of it. Is it not the same as owning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

They do administer the use of it. Is it not the same as owning it.

In a word - No

The RIAI are administering the registration process.
    They will form a part of the Technical Assessment Board, together with lay-people, High Court Judge etc.
    They do not own the title, they did not right the Law.

I also understand that the Competition Authority did not approve of the RIAI administering the registration process.
    So, I assume many will watch the RIAI with interest, to ensure fairness etc.

I assume the Government has the power to set up a Registration Board or other instrument to administer the process, if it saw fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

RKQ wrote: »
    In a word - No

The RIAI are administering the registration process.
    They will form a part of the Technical Assessment Board, together with lay-people, High Court Judge etc.
    They do not own the title, they did not right the Law.

I also understand that the Competition Authority did not approve of the RIAI administering the registration process.
    So, I assume many will watch the RIAI with interest, to ensure fairness etc.

I assume the Government has the power to set up a Registration Board or other instrument to administer the process, if it saw fit!

I stand corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

With tounge firmly in cheek what about the use of the term
    ARKITEKT:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Maybe this is the way to go but the CIAT will need to establish a dedicated office in ireland to deal with irish matters. Just as the CIOB has done.

I suspect topcatcbr that if enough people join CIAT then they will open a dedicated office in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ok, this thread has diviated from the OP,
    and has become a discussion on representation, which also happened in the RIAI meeting thread.
    Its futile having two identical concurrent threads, so I am locking* this, and have merged in the last 3 pages or so into this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055319866

Its a merge of both discussions, so we'll continue the duscussion there.

*RKQ, if you wish to add a post inline (as in details of the next RKQ meeting) with the OP then PM me and i'll happily add it in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement