Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a credit card

• 23-05-2008 1:27pm

I'm thinking of getting a c/c for online purchases etc. I've never had one before and haven't a clue what to lookt out for. I'd be using it very rarely, possibly only once a month or so, and sometimes maybe for use abroad.

Are there any good deals going at the moment? (I noticed a thread in Bargain Alerts saying Halifax are giving €100 free with new customers, but should i forego this for a more favourable interest rate?)

Apologies if it just looks like i'm being a lazy bas*ard but I honestly don't know where to begin, and thought I'd ask for opinions first before i go talking to bank staff who're obviously gonna be trying to go with their own particular one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Cheers. After a quick glance, it seems that Halifax have pretty decent rates compared to the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Cheers. After a quick glance, it seems that Halifax have pretty decent rates compared to the rest.

If you are going to do a lot of online ordering, make sure the card has online statementing, so you can check the statements every few days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I find MBNA very easy to use ,both online and on the phone. They can be contacted very quickly and they are very good over the phone.
    Transactions amounts are shown instantaneously online ,then a day or so to be cleared and put on the statement.
    I get the impression they are one of the main credit card companies ,because other credit cards take days for transactions to show up.And there phonelines are near impossible to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    I find MBNA very easy to use ,both online and on the phone. They can be contacted very quickly and they are very good over the phone.
    Transactions amounts are shown instantaneously online ,then a day or so to be cleared and put on the statement.
    I get the impression they are one of the main credit card companies ,because other credit cards take days for transactions to show up.And there phonelines are near impossible to use.
    It's not that they're big or small really - it's more about what facility they offer the customer. MBNA have your balance updating in almost realtime online too. AIB don't do it for a couple days sometimes but on the phone they will always see up to the second transactions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

The best rate on the market at the moment is the AIB click card @ 8.5%. How in ever the charges are high e.g cash withdrawal.

The next best (I think) is either PTSB or NIB. Halifax actually increased their rates a few weeks ago (bet you didn't know that ;) ) and are now middle of the road, although they have the 100eur offer. Bit of a gimmick if you ask me as you have to wait a month for it to be actually credited to your card. It's an expensive way of attracting customers. How in ever, I didn't turn my nose up at it but I did drop them like a hot potato when the Click card came out.

BOI's card ain't too shabby either especially for large purchases over 500 eur. A rate of 6.9% is available if you finance the cost of said item over 12 months. A max of 80% of the cost can be financed this way. A sensible way to finance the cost of an expensive item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

MBNA are the best credit card company for online transactions. If you are only going to use your card once in a while(I assume pay it off as you go) I wouldn't pass much heed of the various interest rates offers out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Which card offers the best deals for cash withdrawal and cash withdrawal abroad?
    BTW, I think this is the main point of consideration for those who - 99 times out of a 100 - pay cc bill on time.

I also availed of Halifax's €100 offer recently. However, having moved from BOI, I noticed that there seems to be less time allowed to make payments on time. Both have the practice of sending out statements - and the time to pay has already elapsed at least a week by the time statement arrives. I know they will say that seven days has to be allowed - but reality is that statements will usually arrive next day. I think this is a bit naughty of the banks.

Also, all credit card owners please be aware of the following;

If for example you have €200 owing at the end of the month - and you end up paying €199.99 of that bill, you will be charged interest on the lot!

Advertisement