Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McFeeley's Brae / Daisy hill

• 23-05-2008 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Will anyone on boards be affected by this road closure?
    Its a perfectly good road and will be closed when the ballybofey and stranorlar bypass goes ahead??

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What hill would that be then? Or is it only relevant to Twin Towns residents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It wont affect me personally but there are people in that area who will be inconvenienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Motorists affected by closure would include anyone whose journey involves travelling between Knock crossroads and Navenny/Dreenan/Ballybofey/Stranorlar.

This could include those from local townlands, quite a lot of people from both sides of the Tyrone border around Corgary, Kinletter and Castlederg, and others such as people from the two towns using the amenities at Trusk Lough.

Taking one of the alternative routes would add from about 10 seconds to one minute to a journey.

Others affected would be the people who live along the alternative routes who could see a big increase in traffic, including heavy lorries, and the many walkers who use it as part of a regular circuit.

There are also the residents of the road itself, about half a dozen houses, who will find themselves living in a cul-de-sac (perhaps not such a bad thing?), and one large farm which will be divided by the shiny new dual carraigeway.

Most existing roads crossing the path of the new bypass (apart from this and the Golf Course Road towards Cooladawson) are being accommodated with bridges or roundabouts.

The objections raised in relation to the road closures and any other issues are due to be raised in a rescheduled Oral hearing of An Bord Pleanala in early June. I don't know what will come out of this, whether the objections will be dismissed or if there is any room for compromise.

If it does drag on then I suppose you could say it affects everyone if this issue delays the timetable of the bypass itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

It will add half a mile to the journey of anyone coming from above knock crossroads going into ballybofey town, also the alternative route proposed (rockfield road) is a narrower road than mcfeeley's brae and in much worse condition. By closing the mcfeeley's road this will greatly increase the traffic using the rockfield road. The ratio of cars using each road would be approx 10 to 1 in favour of mcfeeley's brae.

newname wrote: »
    It will add half a mile to the journey of anyone coming from above knock crossroads going into ballybofey town

Like I say one minute at 30mph. For anyone going towards Stranorlar the difference is only about 10 seconds.
    also the alternative route proposed (rockfield road) is a narrower road than mcfeeley's brae and in much worse condition.

Both have narrower and wider stretches. What the Rockfield Road does not have is a narrow humpback bridge on a blind brow. The last section has been newly resurfaced, and the access onto the Dreenan Road is twice as wide with much better visibility.
    By closing the mcfeeley's road this will greatly increase the traffic using the rockfield road.

It certainly would. And the residents there are the people who should really be shouting the loudest.

Listening to Brian Cowen today, it may be all academic.

• Advertisement

Listening to Brian Cowen today, it may be all academic.

I didn't hear what he said? Is he looking to withdraw funds??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I'm sure there will be plenty along the route looking forward to capilatising on the increase in land values, not to mention holding the whole thing up yet again to see how much the price will drive up.

I'm not being unsympatetic to the residents but the twin towns as it stands is an inconvience to thousands of motorists daily and the town will be a better place with a bypass and less traffic. The end might justify the means

From Pleanala site:
    KA0007: ()
    Donegal County Council

Donegal County Council N15 Ballybofey/Stranorlar Bypass Compulsory Purchase Order 2007

Case reference: PL05 .KA0007

Case type: Local Authority Road CPO - Application

So there may be news soon.

That should be interesting?? It will be a disaster if daisy hill is closed, that rockfield road is not suited to increased traffic.

Checked again and the due date seems to change weekly. It now says 29th September 2008 so it seems to be completely meaningless.

• Advertisement

Hi

Has anyone heard any updates on this road since - I thought there was to be a decision in september???

As far as the Compulsory Purchase Order is concerned, the Pleanala site has been repeatedly putting the decision date back and now says:
    Proposed decision date not available at this time

Meanwhile, overall cutbacks on spending could well mean this project, along with many others, is shelved for another couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Given the current economic climate I cant see this getting off the ground at all. Well at least not for a few years yet.

Advertisement