Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A good starter for the taller gentleman.

• 23-05-2008 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

Just passed my theory test today, so I'm finally getting my arse in gear over getting a bike. Anyway I'm a bit lanky coming in at around 6'4 with boots on and the bikes I was looking at (cg125 etc) aren't suitable tbh. I was thinking of a XR125 but someone told me that trail bikes are no good over long distances.

Any fellow lanky bikes on here, wanna throw something at me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I'm of the long persuasion myself and when I was looking for a starter bike I ended up looking at 400 and 600 cc only as other bikes where too small.

Go to bike shop and sit on a few for a min or two. Try some 250s.

Obviously age is a barrier to larger bikes. You better hope you are 20 something and 25+ would be best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Aye, I'm 24. I didn't think I could start on a 400+ even if they are restricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pirate reject

To be honest 125s in general are not great over long distances so I imagine any long trip will be hindered by frustration rather than any comfort issue.

That said Honda do a 125 version of their XL Varadero which if Im not mistaken is reasonably tall. The varadero is not a bad hybrid bike and might suit your needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

You can drive any bike up to 33bhp
    The TDR125 is a good start up bike
    But no small bike is good for long distance

I would recommend a cheap TDR for a few months
    When you have a few months done on that and have a bit of experience
    Move to a restricted 600

But the minute you get a bike get some training it will save your life
    It will also bring down the price of your insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I sat on a cbr125 in bike world last week and I couldn't believe how big it felt.I'm 5'9'' and I was on tippy toes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

im fairly tallllll myself.

I started on a africa twin 750 and have moved on to a pan european 1100.

good tall bikes. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm 6'4" and I'm on a prov on my first bike- a restricted bandit 600 (for sale, btw) and I find it's more than suitable to learn on and own in general. Very comfortable and I don't look like a neejit on it. GET TRAINING!!!!

Advertisement