Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Protection

Options
  • 23-05-2008 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I recently got a new credit card and applied for the protection on it in case of skimming, theft etc.

I got the card and activated it the other day and used it and all fine and dandy.
    However i got a letter today from CPP.

I have this form to fill out with my details so that "if your cards go missing, your registered details will allow us to cancel your cards immediately....".

This seems ok but they want:
    Name,
    Address,
    Mothers Maiden Name,
    DOB,
    Phone Numbers,
    Credit Card Number & Type,
    Account Number,
    Sort Code,
    Passport Number,
    PPS Number,
    and my drivers License Number.

I can't see what other information I have left, as this is going by post should it get mislayed the person who gets it would have EVERYTHING about me.

Is this right? anyone else filled in this form?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Hey,

I recently got a new credit card and applied for the protection on it in case of skimming, theft etc.

I got the card and activated it the other day and used it and all fine and dandy.
    However i got a letter today from CPP.

I have this form to fill out with my details so that "if your cards go missing, your registered details will allow us to cancel your cards immediately....".

This seems ok but they want:
    Name,
    Address,
    Mothers Maiden Name,
    DOB,
    Phone Numbers,
    Credit Card Number & Type,
    Account Number,
    Sort Code,
    Passport Number,
    PPS Number,
    and my drivers License Number.

I can't see what other information I have left, as this is going by post should it get mislayed the person who gets it would have EVERYTHING about me.

Is this right? anyone else filled in this form?

I wouldn't bother .. call them and check.. if they insist they need it then tell them you dont want their service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

The standard terms for most credit cards protects against theft, skimming etc. on all amounts over €50

the credit card protection that you buy is primarily for paying the bill if you become unemployed or ill and is quite a high price for what you actually get.

basically if you're in good health and in secure employment, you don't need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

CPP offer protection against your card being lost/stolen. This is different to purchase protection (included by most credit cards as part of any purchase) and different to payment protection (makes the minimum payment to your account for up to 12 months) which generally costs a lot of money if you have a large balance.

CPP's service also extends to drivers licence, passport, laser cards, other credit cards and a whole host of other things. If you decide not to give this information to them, they won't protect any of these things. But, if you do give it to them and say your passport, driving licence and all cards are stolen from a hotel room, or your bag, then a single call to CPP will have them all canceled and they can also provide monitory assistance.

You can do all this over the phone too, so no need to put it in the post. Maybe just put the credit card number on the form for now, then ring them in a week or two with the other info. They're all covered for the same yearly fee.

*not affiliated to CPP, just using them for a few years now.

Advertisement