Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland team announced

• 23-05-2008 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Kiely
    Kelly --- Dunne --- McShane --- Delaney
    - Duff --- Whelan --- Miller --- Hunt
    Keane ---- Doyle

Pretty close to what most people would have predicted. Delighted McShane is playing. That pair is potentially our best central defensive partnership in a decade in my honest opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Potter / Rowlands for Miller would have made it more interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

eirebhoy wrote: »

Kiely
    Kelly --- Dunne --- McShane --- Delaney
    - Duff --- Whelan --- Miller --- Hunt
    Keane ---- Doyle

Pretty close to what most people would have predicted. Delighted McShane is playing. That pair is potentially our best central defensive partnership in a decade in my honest opinion.

For what people are calling a second team , It doesnt look bad. It will be interesting to see how Trap will have them playing. I hope Doyle gets a goal fro confidence reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Miller? McShane? I don't think those players should be involved over the next two years.

I'm also disappointed that Garvan doesn't get to play.

Hopefully Trap gets off to a winning start though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Would like a performance from Duff also, he hasn't been the same since his Blackburn/ Early Chelsea days. You know what your getting with Hunt, but still a definite starter for me.

Shame Rowland is injured, would of had two QPR players.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Delighted McShane is playing. That pair is potentially our best central defensive partnership in a decade in my honest opinion.

I think that says more about our standard of CB's then how good Paul McShane is in my honest opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

That pair is potentially our best central defensive partnership in a decade in my honest opinion.

ROFLMAO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

When it comes to Ireland Eirebhoy is one of my favourite posters.

I agree with Mr.NICE GUY about Garvan, would have loved to see him put on a nice display. Miller I just hate in the same way I hate Carsley in the team. Now in fairness to Miller some of his passing can be nice and tidy, but we need someone who has great vision, and I firmly believe Garvan will be that man.

I expect Duff to prove his doubters wrong with an excellent performance(like he does so often for Ireland) and Hunt to really give it a go. I wonder if Trapattoni's favourite player McGeady will get on at some point..I think he is basically one of the first people on the team sheat for Ireland for the next while at least.

I hope Dunne and McShane can put on a good display. I really thought our world cup 2002 partnership was very good, but Dunne is on another level to Cunningham or Breen. McShane really hasn't played bad for Ireland and its unfair to judge him playing with inferior players to what we have. He will have great confidence playing beside one of the great defenders in football at the moment.

Good luck Glenn Whelan, as I've heard say if he can establish himself in the EPL next season he could make this position his own(considering Steven Reid can never actually be fit)

I am a bit dissapointed not to see the 4-1-2-2-1 formation, but I think tommorow we will see a good football match.

Oh and like Dundalk Stephen said this team looks of good quality for a 2nd team Ireland....LOL at people who don't think this Ireland team have a good squad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Mc Shane... one of the permierships WORST defenders. Made several horrendous mistakes this season.

Jebus help us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

<snip>Didn't realise there was a soccer tickets forum</snip>

I don't, but you shouldn't have much trouble.

Just to add we have 3 players that I know of that were voted player of the season for their respected clubs(Dunne, Kelly and Hunt)

Our team is grand, and well capable of qualifying for 2010. Not that its a given, nothing like it, but we have every bit as good a chance as Bulgaria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Can i just say...

Dunne: BRILLIANT at reading play and a very smart player.
    McShane: A bit thick, but he will but his ball sack on the line for his country.

Pretty good combination. Can we wait untill he makes a mistake for Ireland before attacking him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Sorry to see that donkey McShane back in the reckoning. Good to have Kiely back tho. Class act and could be an important player for us in the next two years.
    That pair is potentially our best central defensive partnership in a decade in my honest opinion.
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

It seems Ireland is not gonna play with best 11 from start,well anyway this game will be full of substitutions so it isnt really important,any of you guys will be tommorow on the game?

Yep, I'll be there.:D(i think thats like the 100th time ive said i would be)

Do Serbia have anything to prove? Like you didn't qualify either so surely the players will be motivated?

I'm just hoping for a somewhat competitive game so we can gauge how each player is doing.

I am sorry but i have to laugh:D
    They proved themselves in their clubs so they dont care for national team,they wasnt motivated in some of the most important games so i can see them motivated now especcially,sorry but i feel you will watch one hell boring game from our side.Maybe if Vidic decide to fight with someone it could get interesting:D
    Anyway have fun on the stadium,and tell me how much tickets is sold so far?

63,000 tickets have been sold so far....

That sounds great,least atmosphere will be on high level,its still 17000 tickets to be sold,right?If thats so i think stadium will be full tommorow,it seems irish really likes watching their national team,very nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

There might have been 63000 tickets sold but there wasn't 63000 at the game , thats for sure.

Anyway well done McShambles. You're certainly becoming a consistent performer for Ireland.

Stadium wasnt full?I was reading somwhere it was 80 000 out there:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

80,000:D less than 60 I'd say. Atmosphere was shocking but what can you expect. Stadium started emptying out after about 70 mins.
    Anyone see the touchline when Ireland scored? They were going absolutely mad!
    TBH I didn't think McShane played that bad:eek: Bar a short back pass and a bad lapse in concentration for their goal I though he had a solid enough game.
    Thought that Duff had a good game, some glimpses of the old Duff.
    Really disappointed with Hunt when he had the ball. Can see in future McGeady and Duff on the wings and Hunt coming on in the last 20 as an impact sub.

• Advertisement

Any link with goals?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Dont think they ever expected a full house considering nobody from Munster was there as they were all in Cardiff or pissed post HC final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

jimmyboy wrote: »
    Anyone see the touchline when Ireland scored? They were going absolutely mad!
    Yeah they showed it on the screen in Croke Park, Tardelli and Trappa were hugging each other and Tardelli had a bit of a dance. No kicking bottles for Trappa then!
    And there were a lot of empty seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Dont think they ever expected a full house considering nobody from Munster was there as they were all in Cardiff or pissed post HC final.

Plus the Eurovision was on. :)

Advertisement