Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfers Coming and Goings Summer 2008

• 23-05-2008 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭

Starting general thread for all club transfers this summer.

Three notable moves already

Mark Schwarzer to Fulham from Boro - Bosman
    Lee Carsley to Birmingham - Bosman
    Philipp Degen to Liverpool

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Bosingwa to Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Good move for Carsley and Birmingham I think. And by extension, Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

bump. found this in a search, decided it's needed.

the one big story of the day is West Ham signed Valeron Behrami, the swiss right sided player.
    BBC wrote:
    West Ham have signed Switzerland international Valon Behrami from Lazio in a £5m deal.

Behrami, 23, can play at right-back or on the right side of midfield and has signed a five-year contract.

He started all of Switzerland's games at Euro 2008 and the Hammers had to beat off interest from clubs in England and Germany to complete the deal.

Behrami has 15 caps and was a regular for Lazio, playing for the Rome side in last year's Champions League.

He said:"It's my dream come true to play for West Ham and play in the Premier League.

"At last I am able to sign. After the Euro 2008 Championships I spoke to West Ham who had expressed an interest but I had to be sure it was the right thing for everybody.

"I have now made my decision and am looking forward to being part of this side and playing in the English league."

West Ham's chief executive Scott Duxbury insists the signing of Behrami shows that reports of the club struggling to find the finances to strengthen the squad this season are nonsense.

He said: "Valon is a player who will a valuable addition to the squad as we aim for a successful season ahead.

"His signing also indicates the club's positive ambitions. Contrary to some reports we are fully committed to strengthening the playing staff.

"There will not be a mass exodus and fans can be assured we are working as hard as always to ensure high-calibre competition in all areas of the team."

for 5 million i think he could turn out to be a very good buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Theres someone Villa definitely should have been looking at, ugh.

DSB wrote: »
    Theres someone Villa definitely should have been looking at, ugh.

thought exactly the same myself. I suspect they may have been in for him, but the lure of London won out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeh, he would've been perfect for Villa. Can play left side too on occasion. Kinda like Zambrotta.

dunno where the original source for this is from but it certainly is interesting. a massive blow for Portsmouth imo if it's true.
    BBC wrote:
    Portsmouth midfielder Sulley Muntari is expected to complete a £12.7m move to Inter Milan on Thursday.

The 23-year-old Ghana international has agreed a four-year contract with the Italian champions.

The signing suggests that Inter boss Jose Mourinho has given up hope of signing Frank Lampard this summer.

Mourinho had been desperate to land an attacking central midfielder - Lampard was his first choice, with Muntari regarded as the best alternative.

Portsmouth signed Muntari from Udinese for £7m in May 2007 and he was an ever-present in their first team last season, scoring seven goals.

Last week Pompey boss Harry Redknapp said he was very reluctant to allow the Ghana international to leave Fratton Park.

"We haven't spoken to anybody and I don't want to sell Sulley anyway," he said.

"He's a top player. We don't have to let anyone leave and we definitely don't want to. (He is) going nowhere, nowhere at all."

But the lure of playing for the Italian champions in the Champions League, under the guidance of Mourinho, was too much for Muntari to resist.

Mourinho will now hope to sign Lampard when his Chelsea contract expires next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Thats incredibly dissapointing for Pompy, just when it looks like they were assembling a very talented team, need to keep Krancjar now, this will likely fund a SWP bid now I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Enoch Showunmi (Bristol City to Leeds) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Blackburn Rovers sign Paul Robinson from Spurs for £3.5m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Paul Robinson signs a five year deal with Blackburn.

^^^Heh! snap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

DeadSkin wrote: »
    ^^^Heh! snap!!

:D You got in first though, just.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I thought Villa will sign him but i was reading today they negotiating with Friedel,this contract with Robinson means Friedel will definitly go to Villa

madness from Blackburn's point of view, freidel is twice the goal keeper Robinson is, but I believe Freidel wants to leave anyway for 'personal' reasons?

madness from Blackburn's point of view, freidel is twice the goal keeper Robinson is, but I believe Freidel wants to leave anyway for 'personal' reasons?

Was thinking the same thing. Ince and Friedel were at Liverpool the same time, I wonder is there a history/bad blood between them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

think the personal reasons are more that Friedel, is keen to set up his own football schools Stateside when he retires and Villa Park owner Randy Lerner has offered him the use of his network of contacts when he eventually calls it a day as well as doubling his wages until then.

think the personal reasons are more that Friedel, is keen to set up his own football schools Stateside when he retires and Villa Park owner Randy Lerner has offered him the use of his network of contacts when he eventually calls it a day as well as doubling his wages until then.

Sounds like a sweet deal.

Think the whole transfer market is about to get into gear now with Spurs giving it the needed kickstart as seven players depart WHL (Chimbonda, Kaboul, Tainio, A.Gardner, Malbranque, Keane & Robinson) and several are bound to arrive such as Gomez, Bentley and maybe Arshavin. Their actions have also caused Villa to sign to sign Friedel as Robinson was his replacement at Blackburn. And of course there is Berbatov too

Keane to Pool
    Ben Haim to City
    Amaury Bischoff to Arsenal
    Bentley to Spurs

Kaboul turns down Sunderland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Sheesh,it seems like Sunderland is trying to buy Tottenham...

Advertisement