Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics?

Options
  • 23-05-2008 4:26pm

Just wondering what economics covers?

I currently do business and want to do it in college but I dont meet the requirements..(5% off with maths) was thinking of doing economics instead. Is it hard/easy/complicated? All replies appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Well ye it does have its hard parts but great choice in the LC...4 out of 8 long questions...lot of diagrams and definitions though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

Ava-Adore wrote: »
    Just wondering what economics covers?

I currently do business and want to do it in college but I dont meet the requirements..(5% off with maths) was thinking of doing economics instead. Is it hard/easy/complicated? All replies appreciated!

It’s hard for most people learn it. But most people in my class still don't understand the subject. I really like it :). But to do it in college then you really need to understand your LC maths to do economics it’s all Maths at university . I know in business there is no maths at all. But for economics there is some maths and it’s not like business at all I do both business and economics. There really two different subjects to lean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

If you're an above average student, then you will be able to grasp the LC higher level economics course in only 3 or 4 months, obviously in not as much detail as to get an A, but to B or C standard at higher level.

There are a few tough chapters but most are very easy to grasp and with a few questions you'll be grand.

I'd say you'd be fine doing Economics in college if you pick up the LC Economics book and study it over the summer. You can read it in about a week!!!!!

Good Luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

With a small bit of luck you could get an A in economics by just studying about half the course...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Where were you thinking of doing economics?

L-C Economics and University Economics are quite different. There's a lot more maths and statistics involved in third level economics when you get passed first year.
    Here's a link to a description of UCD economics modules:
    http://www.ucd.ie/economics/ug.modules.07.08.pdf

Trinity's is here:
    http://www.tcd.ie/Economics/undergraduate/ugoutlines.php

The majority of people that take the first year classes have never taken economics in the L-C. When you start the class they don't assume any prior knowledge. Be aware that business and economics are two completely different subjects at third level.

Also, don't use a leaving cert book to read for third level economics. Assuming you live in Dublin, go to somewhere like Hodges Figgis book store and pick up a principals of economics textbook.

Advertisement