Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 or 4 litre electric kettle

• 23-05-2008 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hi all ,im looking for a 3 or 4 litre electric kettle .Anyone know where i can go to find one I can see them online alright about 100euro but i would like to buy in a shop if possible .Thanks in advance !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Powercity do some cheapish large size boilers for catering.

Why do you want it though. I would just get 2 cheap kettles, faster heat up time and FAR cheaper. A domestic kettle will be 3kW max, so you could get 2x3kW and heat up twice as quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Hi thanks for the reply ,i was 'nt sure if 2 normal kettles would overload the fuse board etc ,but maybe your right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I think you'd be better off getting a catering kettle.

Kettle is basically the highest drain on electricity in your house, you'd even notice in some houses the lights dimming when you turn on the kettle, i dont know the wisdom of running two of them on the same circuit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

dsane1 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the reply ,i was 'nt sure if 2 normal kettles would overload the fuse board etc ,but maybe your right

Yes, i think you can get a 3.3Kw, but that pulls about 14amps. the max fuse rating is 13amps. If you put both of these on the same circuit they will trip your MCB. The mcb is properly a 20amp rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

dsane1 wrote: »
    If your kitchen is wired correctly there is no problem. Each outlet on a wall should handle 13A each. If you have a dual socket outlet each should handle 13A. Mine does I run a toaster and high power kettle on the one dual socket. The problem is when people use gang leads or double adaptors.

I actually work designing catering water boilers, so know all about them.

As I said before it will take twice as long to boil double the water with the same power.
    I think you'd be better off getting a catering kettle.
    They cost a hell of a lot more due to economies of scale. I still wonder why the OP needs it? You can just use one kettle and fill it twice, it will take the same time to boil it twice as boiling the 4L once. Also a quicker boil of a low volume kettle results in less gases being lost, in short you get a better cup of tea or coffee the faster the kettle boils.
    davton wrote: »
    Yes, i think you can get a 3.3Kw, but that pulls about 14amps. the max fuse rating is 13amps. If you put both of these on the same circuit they will trip your MCB. The mcb is properly a 20amp rating.
    In a normal shop the most you will get is just under 3kW. some might be branded as over 3kW, but that will be UK ratings, they use a higher voltage so get more power for a given 13A max load. When the UK 3.1kW kettle is plugged in here you get just under 3kW out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement