Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just realised..

Options
  • 23-05-2008 4:37pm

how annoyingly stuck I am.. between colleges..

ahhhhhhhhhh!!! :mad:

I have always wanted to go to UL. Always. It just seemed like a really cool place to go with great courses, just far enough away from home and the fact that I know, like, nobody there is a main factor.

But, now.. I realised there are so much better courses in NUIG.. argghh! I don't know what to do. It's the one college I never wanted to go to cause.. like my whole town goes to galway. A natural progression. Mayo - Galway.

I know if I went there, it'd be fine. All my friends are going there.. But I just love the feelin of not knowing a single soul. Plus, Galway bores the crap outta me.

****! What should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Are you sure the course is actually better in Galway than it is in UL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

Are you sure the course is actually better in Galway than it is in UL?
    yeah i agree, how can they bo so much better?

Well.. I want to do something business orientated.. I really wanted business studies but can't cause I don't meet the requirements.. But I was going to do economics instead.

But now i've noticed I could do commerce or corporate law in NUIG for roughly the same poins.

But then..

Love UL. Hate NUIG.

You lot probably think im stupid favouring the uni, but I had my heart set on UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

People are always on about "it's about the course, etc.", but I think, if you don't like the place, how are you going to be happy there? College is about more than just your degree, of course that's quite important, but if you hate the place you'll hardly do well and be happy.
    That said, if you're passing up the course you'd love for one that you're less mad on... tricky situation. How about doing commerce somewhere that isn't NUIG? (About half my year want to do commerce in UCD...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

just go to UL. Bizarre person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

just go to UL. Bizarre person.
    Is there any need to call the OP a 'bizarre person?!?! Bit offensive!!!

Back ontopic,you should go to UL! No point going to NUIG if you hate it,you won't enjoy your course or anything!
    favouring the uni

They are both Universaties!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

kmart6 wrote: »
    Is there any need to call the OP a 'bizarre person?!?! Bit offensive!!!
    Hardly. In fact that's...Bizarre! :pac:

I'd me more inclined to think that it's more about the course than the college. Obviously if you're not going to enjoy it you shouldn't go but personally I think your reasons for prefering UL are a bit..I don't know, dumb? You seem to be prefer it only because there's that initial 'new experience' feeling.

I don't think it's wise to pass up the course you want especially considering that the reasons given for choosing UL will be very short-lived in comparison to a course that spans over a few years.

Are you not just exaggerating when you say you hate NUIG? You said earlier that you'll be fine if you go there. =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

I have always wanted to go to UL. Always. It just seemed like a really cool place to go with great courses, just far enough away from home and the fact that I know, like, nobody there is a main factor.

But, now.. I realised there are so much better courses in NUIG.. argghh! I don't know what to do. It's the one college I never wanted to go to cause.. like my whole town goes to galway. A natural progression. Mayo - Galway.

I know if I went there, it'd be fine. All my friends are going there.. But I just love the feelin of not knowing a single soul. Plus, Galway bores the crap outta me.

****! What should I do?

What put me off from choosing limerick is that it has infamy (the town)

They are both Universaties!

I am aware they are both universaties.. I meant favouring a uni over a course.

Well UL has a great rep for business,so if you could find a way around around the requirements you could do that,might mean having to do a Level 7 first though or something!

Please tell me that you mean Galway in gemeral bores you,cause there's no way the Galway nightlife could!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

****! What should I do?
    Like a lot of people said are you sure the courses are better in NUIG than UL. Like you said UL is a amazing place and so too are the courses...
    and the business scene in UL would definitely be one of its strong points, I don't know where your getting NUIG having much of a business reputation, its mostly Arts there like...

Brooke01 wrote: »
    What put me off from choosing limerick is that it has infamy (the town)
    What exactly is wrong with the town? Don't buy into that media crap mate, its no different from any other city in Ireland

1huge1 wrote: »
    What exactly is wrong with the town? Don't buy into that media crap mate, its no different from any other city in Ireland
    Bit of complete bias there just cause your from Limerick! The only city that would be like Limerick,would be Dublin,and most of the crime ther isn't even in the city centre,long way out and away from any colleges!

Bit of complete bias there just cause your from Limerick! The only city that would be like Limerick,would be Dublin,and most of the crime ther isn't even in the city centre,long way out and away from any colleges!
    Well who else is going to stand up for us!, And no if you looked im not from Limerick, I'm from county Limerick, two different places if you didn't notice...

And most of Limerick's crime is based around a small around of poor housing estates built in the 1960's which have little to do with the rest of the city...
    and if you bother to look at the facts Limerick is on par for crime rates in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

regardless of where you go you'll have a college experience. UL is a brilliant un but one problem is there's like 400people in each year doing business so you won't exactly stand out. On the plus side you do a co-op placement and if you do a language you have the option of Erasmus. From what I've heard NUIG is top notch too. To be honest it won't make a difference where you go although from what I've heard those trips from Mayo to Limerick every weekend are a killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Special K

Having attended college in Limerick for 3 years [I went to Mary I] I can honestly say that the media depicts a very poor image of Limerick, when it's not true. The crime is only centred around the whole Keane feud and Moyross. It doesn't affect anywhere else. No more so than crime in any other big city anyhow. Obviously there are places where you wouldn't want to walk on your own, but you'll have that in any city. I've never been attacked, nor seen anyone being attacked either and I think it's unfair that a city's reputation can be tainted so much, and that people actually believe all the nonsense about it. UL is a fantastic place. Really modern and a great student place. NUIG is great too however. May not have the modern feel about the place but I know it is a great university also and Galway's nightlife is unbeatable. I'm not being biased either just because I'm from Galway :D

Advertisement