Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car finance - VLC in banks name?

Options
  • 23-05-2008 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

If you take out car finance (where the bank or finance company maintains ownership of the car until repair in full) - does the VLC go into your name or the banks name ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

We took out a car finance package with Bank of Scotland Ireland now Halifax. The VLC was in my husband's name. We've just finished paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

The VLC will always be in your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

So if one sold the car to someone they wouldn't be any the wiser but the bank could come after them 2 years down the line and take the car off them? They'd lose their money and the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

True I believe if the original borrower never kept up repayments. I know of someone that lost out that way a good number of years ago. As far as I know there is a website that you can check if a car has outstanding finance on it but I don't remember the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

random wrote: »
    So if one sold the car to someone they wouldn't be any the wiser but the bank could come after them 2 years down the line and take the car off them? They'd lose their money and the car?

Exactly. Make sure there is no outstanding finance on a car before you buy. AA i think have some checking service. I would say its money well spent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement