Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruined rugby jersey

Options
  • 23-05-2008 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭

Bought an Ireland rugby training jersey in a well know sports retailer a while back. After taking it out of the wash, (the last of a few up to that point) I discovered that part of the sponsors logo had come off. I am absolutly disgusted at this. as far as I am concerned it is not wearable as it looks ridiculous. I brought it back to the shop and was told that there was nothing they could do. I can guarantee that it was never ironed or put in a tumble dryer.

What would you do?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Surley wrote: »

What would you do?

Stand there and complain quite loudly until they change the jersey. Be polite but firm requesting a replacement.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

How long ago is 'a while back' and how bad is the damage? And is the logo screen printed, stitched or what? (Sorry, know little about jerseys:))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

What sort of wash cycle was it put on?

As far as I remember those logo's are screen printed. Screen printing has a habit of coming off over time as it loses adhesion to the fabic, it's unfortunate but it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Oryx wrote: »
    How long ago is 'a while back' and how bad is the damage? And is the logo screen printed, stitched or what? (Sorry, know little about jerseys:))
    Also did you follow the correct washing instructions for the jersey i.e. temperatures etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Anything with a printed on / ironed on logo should be washed inside out - it gives protection againt abrasiveness of other articles in the wash.

Its difficult for the store to give credit / replacement as it has been washed several times and if it was washed with say a pair of jeans, the zipper of the jeans could have affected the logo. - It would be different if it was the first wash.

Another option, if the logo is still in one piece, is to put a piece of grease proof paper over the logo and iron it at a high temperature. This should reseal the logo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

The logo is (was) glued on, and half of it came off. Followed all the washing instructions. No iron, on tumble dry, perhaps with the exception of it being inside out, I can't say i remember to be honest. Turns out "a while back" is longer than I thought, bought it last July, however it was ruined be January. Been too busy to try and do anything about it before now. Only recently brought it back to shop

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The logo is (was) glued on, and half of it came off. Followed all the washing instructions. No iron, on tumble dry, perhaps with the exception of it being inside out, I can't say i remember to be honest. Turns out "a while back" is longer than I thought, bought it last July, however it was ruined be January. Been too busy to try and do anything about it before now. Only recently brought it back to shop
    At just under a year since you bought it, I can understand why the shop are not willing to help you. Exchanges of faulty goods always has to do with being reasonable, and that works on both sides. If the fault arose in January, thats when you should have returned it. It is unreasonable to expect them to exhchange it after almost a year of wear and tear. It doesnt matter if you never wore it since January, they dont know that, and cant be expected to just believe you. Even if you had returned it in January, its still hard to say if an exchange would be excluded as the damage might still be seen as normal wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Part of the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980 is about acting diligently when a fault occured i.e. contacting the seller asap.

You unfortunately have a weak case because it simply could have been because you didnt wash it inside out that caused the logo to come off.

You could argue your case through the small claims court which doesnt cost much. I cannot tell you that you have a strong case because there are some things you should have done differently but if you do feel aggrieved then do take it there as you are within your rights to argue your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'd write a letter to the manufacturers office in Ireland, and include photos and tell them how disappointed you are with the quality.
    The shops themselves wont help you.
    Worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I'd write a letter to the manufacturers office in Ireland, and include photos and tell them how disappointed you are with the quality.
    Worth a shot.

Probably my best shot at this stage. Honestly didn't realise it was so long since I bought it until I checked credit card statements this morning (online). Thanks for all the advice guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A year is an awful long time. It's not unusal for people to wear the same jersey all the time to things like training or 5 a side football so the jersey could have been worn and washed 2 or 3 times a week for all they kow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Worth a shot.

This is the way to go OP. The shop would be at a dead loss to help you.

Advertisement