Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing up your online life

• 23-05-2008 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

I've been spending the past few weeks on and off getting things configured for backing up all the important stuff I do online.
    • Downloading GMail
    • Downloading Google Calendars (python script, calls wget on the links to .ics files GCal provides)
    • Downloading GMail Contacts (python script, outputs to csv similar to the one GMail exports)
    On Ubuntu, so all are automated with cron. The scripts use the Google Data APIs, which are very handy to use. Would like to suck out the Google Chats as well but no idea how to, the API doesn't provide access.

It's not something I come across people discussing often. Curious to know if anyone else has similar strategies, or even if people bother.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I know its not strictly what you are asking but I back up my phone pretty regularly using My Phone Explorer.

Very very useful programme if you have a Sony Erricson phone, simply a matter of flicking on the bluetooth function, laptop picks it up and all phone numbers and texts backed up instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

That's actually something I've thought of, getting my numbers backed up. Must look into it. I once hand-copied them into a text file before going travelling. Definitely script it next time.

My Phone Explorer.

Well worth it if you have a SE. I've gone through god knows how many phones and its very easy to transfer all data from old to new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

That "My Phone Explorer" application is only for windows, any known for mac users? Please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

For those looking for a win32 app to backup gmail its prob best to stay away from G-Archiver:
    http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/03/11/1723206&from=rss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Just downloaded the MyPhoneExplorer, great program by the looks of things, just one problem, I can't seem to connect my phone to it

Now I do have an external bluetooth device, a bluetooth dongle, USB device, most likely the probelm.

Any ideas on a solution?

Any thoughts would be helpful

Try uninstalling MyPhoneExplorer, installing the drivers for the phone from the CD provided by SE, reinstalling MPE and it should work then. Also make sure all the drivers for your bluetooth dongle are installed.

I connect mine now using Bluetooth as I was having trouble with the cable too. Using it last night to back up photos and I noticed some new features in the programme.

Probably the best piece of free software I have on my computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

I got the program working and I do agree by far the best free software on my computer.

Solution wise I just had to connect the conmputer to the phone using the bluetooth com port, with the dongle software first, this dawned on me after posting. I then cconnected through MyPhoneExplorer.

Now I do have another problem, I tried to ring my phone and I did so but when I answered on the headset I have for my pc, my voice was only projected onto the phone connected through bluetooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

bigkev49 wrote: »
    My Phone Explorer.

Well worth it if you have a SE. I've gone through god knows how many phones and its very easy to transfer all data from old to new.

Is that one just for SE phones? Looks to be from what I can see. Does anyone know of equivalents for Nokia?
    sobriquet wrote: »
    I've been spending the past few weeks on and off getting things configured for backing up all the important stuff I do online.
    • Downloading GMail
    • Downloading Google Calendars (python script, calls wget on the links to .ics files GCal provides)
    • Downloading GMail Contacts (python script, outputs to csv similar to the one GMail exports)
    On Ubuntu, so all are automated with cron. The scripts use the Google Data APIs, which are very handy to use. Would like to suck out the Google Chats as well but no idea how to, the API doesn't provide access.

It's not something I come across people discussing often. Curious to know if anyone else has similar strategies, or even if people bother.

I had a bad experience a few weeks ago where some nice chap in China hijacked my Gmail account a locked me out. He then proceeded to hijack my ebay account. Some lovely people on boards.ie helped me get everything back on track. Its a scary proposition losing your digital life!

Anyways, the reason I mention this is because after this happened I was looking at how to back up my Gmail (emails & email addresses). I saw that in Gmail options you can autoforward your emails. So I've now set up a new gmail address where all my emails get duplicated. This of course is no good for older emails, for any emails I get in the future I'll have a record of them. Might be handy in addition to sobriquet's methods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Stop living in "The Cloud"

its free, its the cool thing to do but someday it's going to cost you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Sortof on this theme... anyone using Dropbox?

Been using this for a few weeks, and finding it very useful, you can upload... whatever (mp3s, music, pics, tv shows) and access them from anywhere. Theres a 2gb max limit currently. Sortof like an online usb key.

Its just a folder on your pc, you drop in whatever file, it uploads it and bam, done.

You can also create shared folders and give friends access.

I've 4 invites left if anyone's interested, its in closed beta atm.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Silverfish wrote: »

Been using this for a few weeks, and finding it very useful, you can upload... whatever (mp3s, music, pics, tv shows) and access them from anywhere. Theres a 2gb max limit currently. Sortof like an online usb key.

Its just a folder on your pc, you drop in whatever file, it uploads it and bam, done.

wouldn't mind one actually. I've been dealing with a few companies lately who have been using it as an alternative to ftp. Seems reliable and easier than getting ftp working for people with locked down pcs..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Any chance i could have one?

this post epicly failed

Any chance i could have you?

Em....

....no?

Any chance i could have you?

:eek: first and final warning Smith, no flirting!

very freudian though. like it.

Pm me with email addresses and I'll send an invite.

Any chance i could have you Email me an invite
    is what i ment to say.

god damm it

3 gone :)

Hopefully those I gave one to will pay it forward.

That is also incredibly Freudian

That is also incredibly Freudian

certainly was, I'm watching all of ye.

<3 copacetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I'd appreciate an invite if you have any left.

I'm all out now, but other people should have some.

I now have 6 more invites if anyone else wants one.

Advertisement