Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sigh... Why are my problems never straight forward.

Options
  • 23-05-2008 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Aloha!

My broadband wont connect, unless someone is engaged in a phone call. The broadband connection holds so long as the call lasts.

There could be any number of things contributing to the problem.
    There is slight noise on the land line (an Eircom technician came and confirmed it and then said the fault is internal and we should phone our electrician).

My father wont call the Electrician and insists he will fix it himself...
    sigh..

Anyhow, I'm trying to figure out what could have caused this to happen, completely out of the blue!

It could have been the house alarm going off and cutting off broadband to use our phone line, for security reasons. This happend a day or two before I noticed the issue.
    There is a small box with a number of cables going into it, located in the hotpress, and Ive never seen it before. Its now hanging down and looks like it was knocked. Inside it, it seems to have phone lines, similar to the inside of a phone jack.
    My father said that he was in the attic with his golfclubs and could have easily knocked some cables or wiring...

So there is a number of contributing factors...

ANY help or advice is greatly appreciated. It's been nearly 3 weeks without my own broadband now... I think I'm dieing but cant google my symptoms!!1! (j/k)

Also, whats all this talk about broadband upgrades around the country, for free.
    From what I hear, its only if people live near an exchange? Catch 22?
    I'm in Drogheda on a 3mb BT line... I wont be seeing any such upgrades will i? :(

Funny feeling I wont be eligible for Smarts 20mb either? heh.
    Not that any of it will matter with this problem! arrgh!

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Seems like something you would definitely need a professional to have a look at, doesn't seem like something somebody could help with over a forum without seeing the problem in person. As far as your question about upgrades goes, you should be upgraded to 7.6mbit in June, if your line is capable of that or not is a different story. Just guessing but if your line is capable of a full 3mbit without many problems (other than this one obviously:p) you should see some sort of speed increase at least even if its not up to full 7.6mbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Troubleshooting connection problems in the FAQ.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

Did you try the modem connected to the eircom Master socket?

Advertisement