Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Too right!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

This seems like a good move... out with the old... in with the new I always say*

*almost never say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dub13 wrote: »

This is our season.....;)

:D

Nice work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dub13 ye bastard! I would have expected a PM warning me at the very least! :pac:

Onwards and upwards!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This year, i firmly believe, we will present a title challenge.

There, now i've said it, it can bite me in the ass all it wants.

Come On The Pool 2008/09!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

absolutely! some nice new players and a title challenge, please Rafa....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Well Sky Sports News said we're in talks with Udinese about Dossena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

From the sounds of it Dossena has a lot of potential.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

mike65 wrote: »
    Dub13 ye bastard! I would have expected a PM warning me at the very least! :pac:

Next time....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Lyrics (for those who wish to sing along.....)

Liverpool FC is hard as hell
    United, Tottenham, Arsenal
    Watch my lips, and I will spell
    'Cause they don't just play, but they can rap as well

Liverpool FC
    Liverpool FC

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility...

Aahaah...aah...aah (Liverpool FC)

...had Napoleon had that idea he'd have conquered the bloody world

Walk on... walk on... with hope... in your heart... and you'll ne... ver walk...alone

Alright Aldo
    Sound as a pound
    I'm custy la but there's nothing down
    The rest of the lads ain't got it sussed
    We'll have to learn 'em to talk like us

Well I'm rapping now, I'm rapping for fun
    I'm your goalie, the number one
    You can take the mick, don't call me a clown
    Any more lip and you're going down

Alright Ace, we're great me and you
    But the other lads don't talk like we do
    No they don't talk like we do, do they do la
    We'll have to learn 'em to talk propa

Walk on... walk on... with hope... in your heart... and you'll ne... ver walk... alone

You two scousers are always yapping
    I'm gonna show you some serious rappin
    I come from Jamaica, my name is John Barn-es
    When I do my thing the crowd go bananas

How's he doing the Jamaica rap?
    He's from just south of the Watford Gap
    He gives us stick about the north/south divide
    'Cause they got the jobs
    Yeah, but we got the side

Well I came to England looking for fame
    So come on Kenny man, give us a game
    'Cause I'm sat on the bench paying my dues with the blues
    I'm very big down under, but my wife disagrees

They've won the league, bigger stars than Dallas
    They got more silver than Buckingham Palace
    No-one knows quite what to expect
    When the red machine's in full effect

Well Steve McMahon sure can rap
    It's about time he had an England cap
    So come on Bobby Robson, he's the man
    'Cause if anyone can, Macca can
    Macca-can... Macca-can... Macca-can... Macca-can...

Liverpool FC is hard as hell

My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually they would be untouchable. Everybody would have to submit. Give in, give in, give in

We're highland lads
    Och-ai the noo
    And there's four of us
    And only two of you
    So if you want nai trouble
    And you don't want a slap
    You'd better teach us the Anfield rap

Don't forget us paddies
    And me the Great Dane
    And I'm from London mate so watch your game

Well you two scousers, you're always squaking
    But we'll just let our feet do the talking

Our lads have come from all over the place
    They talk dead funny, but they play dead great
    Well now we've gotta learn 'em talk real cool
    The song you've gotta learn if you live in the Pool

Walk on... walk on... with hope... in your heart... and you'll ne... ver walk... alone
    You'll never walk alone

Ho-ho my word
    That's unbelievable, it really is
    I think they should stick to playing football. Terrible
    What do you think Kenny?

Edit:

John Barnes rap, for Dub13

• Advertisement

We had Barnes over last week and he did a bit of that rap....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

lol!

The Dossena deal seems to be all but done, the clubs director was talking with Lfc on Wednesday.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Dub13 wrote: »
    We had Barnes over last week and he did a bit of that rap....:o

i missed wat would have been the greatest moment of my life :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3602912,00.html

Let's hope 'could' soon changes to something more definite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Who are the big name potential transfers on the wishlist this summer lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

eZe^ wrote: »
    Who are the big name potential transfers on the wishlist this summer lads?

...........*thumbleweed*..... :pac:

seriously doubt its about big names for us, looks like rafa is plugging gaps and making the most of what little cash he has.

looks like we're going to be banking on babel and lucas making a far bigger impact next season and the return of agger should almost be like a new signing too.

all a bit like looking for a silver lining, but what can ya do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I'd love to see Liverpool challenging for the PL next year,and I'm a United fan:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i want eto'o and ronaldhino!!!

lets face it, to keep up with chelski and utd these are the types of player we should be getting

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Robinho admitted in an interview yesterday that he has been in talks with Chelsea about signing for them for €34m. He met with Peter Kenyon on Thursday in London. They already spent €20m Bosingwa for right back. And considering Lampard is expected to leave, it won't be their last big name signing of the summer no doubt.

Just goes to show what you're up against if you're Rafa. I'm just hoping we are carrying out a few signings behind the cameras that nobody has heard about yet. If we don't sign a quality winger who is going to give us more attacking options I forsee another season being heavily reliant on Torres and Gerrard...and they won't be uninjured forever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Anyone see the 2 hour end of season review with Rafa last night on LFC TV?

It's amazing looking back on last season just how much influence Kuyt had in really big/important games..

Rafa also reckons that winning the PL with Liverpool would far outstrip winning the CL or winning La Liga with Valencia in terms of how much of an achievement it would be.

Desperate for him to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Looks like Dossena is in the bag, which means our two full-back positions are sorted out for next season. I haven't seen Degen or Dossena play, so I'll reserve judgement on them!

The rest of our summer is going to be decided by who's leaving, by the looks of things. It's likely that Carson, Riise, Pennant and Crouch will leave, so that will generate some cash without requiring expensive replacements. The Alonso rumours wont go away, though Alonso has again come out and said he's staying, and Liverpool seem only willing to sell him for a big offer.

If we keep Alonso, Barry shouldn't be our first priority. Looking down the road at London, Tottenham snapped up Luka Modric, and it looks like Arsenal are going to get Nasri. I've not seen much of either of them, but by all reports, both are young, very promising attacking midfielders, and both are valued around 12-15 million. You'd have to wonder why Rafa isn't in for them, considering how well they'd fit into our system. Zaragoza's Aimar and Garcia are other options, if we're operating on more of a budget. David Silva of Valencia would probably cost more than the above, but is likely to move this summer due to Valencia's poor season. They've also got Angulo, Joaquin and Vicente on their books, though are any of these good enough for Liverpool?

If we do sell Crouch, we'll need to sign another forward, or hope a reserve player can step up. I read on goal.com that Inter's Balotell is stalling over a new contract. He's another young player with plenty of potential, and could possibly be got for a reasonable fee. He's strong, fast and he's got a good scoring record. I'd say he could fill the Torres role very capably. Zaragoza's Milito would also be available, and he's a player we've been linked with in the past. Would he be suited to the Premiership though?

I'd be happy with:

Goalkeepers: Reina, Itandje (and possibly a cheap backup)
    Right back: Arbeloa, Deggen, Finnan
    Central Defence: Carragher, Skyrtl, Hyypia, Agger
    Left-back: Aurelio, Dossena, Insua
    Holding midfielders: Alonso, Macherano, Barry, Lucas, Plessis
    Attacking midfielders: Gerrard, Babel, Kuyt, Benayoun, Aimar, Silva
    Forwards: Torres, Balotelli, Voronin

Players in:
    Deggen: 0
    Dossena: 8
    Barry: 12
    Aimar: 6
    Silva: 16
    Balotelli: 12
    Total: 54

Players out:
    Carson: 10
    Riise: 6
    Pennant: 6
    Crouch: 12
    Total: 34

Net spend: 20 milion

The prices are guesstimates based on figures in the press. A net-spend of 20 million sterling is in keeping with previous years, even if it does look a little unlikely at the moment. Squad players like Finnan and Voronin could also be moved on, but aren't likely to bring in serious money.

If you come close to winning the league next season with only a net spending of 20 million, Ill definitely be supporting ye throughout the season. It's ridiculous that a club of Liverpools stature is having to turn down big names because of a lack of summer funds...

Hope ye find some gems over the summer, Silva/ Aimer would REALLY make your wings very attacking and attractive... And I love to see Rafa having the little La Liga contingent in his team...

eZe^, I know you follow La Liga keenly, have you heard any rumblings regarding Silva? We've been linked with him in the press (Valencia want 18, Liverpool want to pay 16...), but it's been very speculative. Barca are supposedly after him to replace Ronaldinho, but that could be more paper talk.

He'd be the one player that I'd love Liverpool to sign. I think he could make an immediate impact for us.

eZe^, I know you follow La Liga keenly, have you heard any rumblings regarding Silva? We've been linked with him in the press (Valencia want 18, Liverpool want to pay 16...), but it's been very speculative. Barca are supposedly after him to replace Ronaldinho, but that could be more paper talk.

He'd be the one player that I'd love Liverpool to sign. I think he could make an immediate impact for us.

Barca from what I know, have pulled out of the Silva deal, because they dont want to pay the 18 million for the player when in reality they dont really need him. However, most the talk has been about clubs being interested in David Villa. There are obviously alot of big clubs interested in Silva, but he isnt taking centre stage, which means that if Liverpool make the right bid, there wont be competition with the likes of a Madrid (who would bid crazy money) and therefore I can see him being a Pool player next season...

But that does mean the Liverpool actually have to approach Silva with the right bid, I'd say you'd get him for around 17 million alright... Lets hope ye do... Cracking player, you forget how young he is when you see him week in, week out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

eZe^ on david silva, is he an out and out striker or do you think he could play as a winger?

IrishMike wrote: »
    eZe^ on david silva, is he an out and out striker or do you think he could play as a winger?

He is DEFINITELY not an out and out striker, he has always played on the wings, and a DAMN good winger too, pacey, good cross, can hit them from distance, nice skills.. Mainly the left, but he can play on the right too if you really need him to!

A cracker of a goal against Chelsea back in 2006/2007.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=X2divQdRDVs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

He is DEFINITELY not an out and out striker, he has always played on the wings, and a DAMN good winger too, pacey, good cross, can hit them from distance, nice skills.. Mainly the left, but he can play on the right too if you really need him to!

If i was Rafa i would be trying to sign Joaquin, it looks like he might leave Valencia?

If i was Rafa i would be trying to sign Joaquin, it looks like he might leave Valencia?

Joaquin has definitely been the worse of the two wingers for Valencia... David Silva has stepped up to the plate immensely over the past 2 years, and has shown he can perform even in a terrible Valencia team at times this season. Joaquin lacks any consistency, one game he can look unplayable, and then he'll disappear for another month... I doubt he'll ever formulate into the player we say back in 04... Its a shame really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Joaquin has definitely been the worse of the two wingers for Valencia... David Silva has stepped up to the plate immensely over the past 2 years, and has shown he can perform even in a terrible Valencia team at times this season. Joaquin lacks any consistency, one game he can look unplayable, and then he'll disappear for another month... I doubt he'll ever formulate into the player we say back in 04... Its a shame really.

Is Joaquin as fast in real life as he is in pro evo?In pro he is proably top 3 fastest in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Joaquin is still fairly young though (26 aint he?) and maybe a change would do him good ? The raw talent is there so I think he would be worth a punt. He wouldnt break the bank either.

In regards to Silva, I would LOVE us to sign him but really dont see it happening. The players we have been linked with seem to be a bracket lower than him, price wise. Lots of players in the 6-10m range it seems.

Has Silva ever played on the right ?

We've mostly been linked with 6-10 million full-backs and orthodox midfielders though. The only other attacking player we've been regularly linked with is Krankjar, and that's bandied about as a swap deal.

After Dossena, there should still be 15-20 million in the kitty, if we take into account player sales. I'm not saying we'll sign Silva, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Silva has played on the left, right and in the hole for Silva. For what I've seen, he's very versatile, and he's not a player reliant on speed or on crossing, he's got a lot more to his overall game.

dc69 wrote: »
    Is Joaquin as fast in real life as he is in pro evo?In pro he is proably top 3 fastest in the game.

Yes, his game is almost solely reliant on his pace...

Tusky wrote: »
    Joaquin is still fairly young though (26 aint he?) and maybe a change would do him good ? The raw talent is there so I think he would be worth a punt. He wouldnt break the bank either.

In regards to Silva, I would LOVE us to sign him but really dont see it happening. The players we have been linked with seem to be a bracket lower than him, price wise. Lots of players in the 6-10m range it seems.

Has Silva ever played on the right ?

Just watch this video of him, its mainly clips from this and last season;

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Et21F5qzxw

In a season where Valencia were struggling for relegation, Silva and Villa stepped up and performed well, Joaquin was just a lazy balls...

Id actually love to see Silva at a top top club, he seriously has everything you need in a winger.. And he's only 22.

Yes, his game is almost solely reliant on his pace...

Just watch this video of him, its mainly clips from this and last season;

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Et21F5qzxw

In a season where Valencia were struggling for relegation, Silva and Villa stepped up and performed well, Joaquin was just a lazy balls...

Id actually love to see Silva at a top top club, he seriously has everything you need in a winger.. And he's only 22.

I think it would be a major mistake not to go for him. Hes Spanish, will most likely leave Valencia this summer, could be gotten for around 17m and we are desperately short of quality on the wings. I'd say his price will go up after the Euros.

Torres

Silva
    Gerrard
    Babel

Mascherano--Alonso

*drools*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Tusky wrote: »
    I think it would be a major mistake not to go for him. Hes Spanish, will most likely leave Valencia this summer, could be gotten for around 17m and we are desperately short of quality on the wings. I'd say his price will go up after the Euros.

Torres

Silva
    Gerrard
    Babel

Mascherano--Alonso

*drools*

He is a FM signing though along the lines of Torres.
    He would be a dream signing to say the very least and would give Liverpool
    one of the most mouthwatering attacks in the premiership
    Its the stuff of dreams though id imagine, cant see us throwing £15m at
    anyone this summer but i really really hope im wrong.

• Advertisement

Its not as its completely unrealistic.

He will leave this summer
    We need wingers
    Hes Spanish and theres a big Spanish contingent at Anfield
    Rafa is well thought of in Spain
    17m isnt over priced considering we were rumoured to be looking at Bentley for 15

In regards to throwing 15m at anyone this summer...Gareth Barry ?

Jazzy wrote: »
    i missed wat would have been the greatest moment of my life :(

We are looking at getting King Kenny over soon.;)

Why do you think that? He is at Valencia, who are a smaller club, and he's there among Villa, Morientes and Joaquin... Why can they have an attack that strong and Liverpool not? Maybe he won't go to Anfield, but ye really got to stop selling yourself so short in the transfer market... Otherwise all the biggest talents will be going to either Man Utd/ Chelsea or have to go to lesser teams like Spurs and City.

Juve have confirmed they want Alonso. So now its down to the price /Xabis ability to persuade Rafa to keep him.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Napoli insist Marek Hamsik is not for sale and would be 'up in arms', if the midfielder's agents were touting him to Liverpool.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3605643,00.html
    looks unlikely that we'll be seeing him at anfield.

Silva would be an excllent signing. Also i think we can safely say that rafa has money to spend. Dossena will be our our most expensive defender if we get him and rafa has already spent £17 million on Masch and recently said that they must keep spending so its looking good in my opinion! i'd say he will get a £15-20 million winger. heres hoping....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

The Mirror sez that Alonso sez that he doesn't know anything about a move.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/2008/05/24/alonso-in-dark-over-12m-move-89520-20427821/

Apparantly Fiorantina are also interested in Dossena according to skysports, but looking at the actual comments it looks like its more the agent playing hardball over something, claiming pool aren't the only ones with an interest. no quotes from anyone at Fiorentina, only the agent.
    However, Dossena's agent Federico Pastorello says the player has yet to decide his future, with Fiorentina also rumoured to be interested.

Dossena played under Fiorentina coach Cesare Prandelli at Verona earlier in his career and Pastorello hinted at interest from the Viola.

Pastorello told the Italian media: "The future of the player is still very uncertain. He will decide everything in the coming weeks.

"Prandelli knows Dossena very well, he is aware of his strengths and weaknesses."
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3608048,00.html

Elsewhere, nice to see both Kuyt and Babel score in Hollands 3-0 win over the Ukraine. Unsurprisingly enough Huntelaar got the other one.

I bet Van Basten still axes Kuyt.

Mike.

think it'll be a close call but since only 3 more get axed i think he'll keep his spot in the squad. Form and versatility are in his favour, been performing well in the big games this year as well, and is handy to be able to bring on to hold a lead with his workrate and tackling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Mike.
    The Dutch do have quite a few strikers and wingers to choose from but hopefully Kuyt's Champions League form will earn him a place in the final squad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Kuyt's header was an absolute thumper as well, fantastic.

Babel's goal had a touch of dodginess about it though :D

Another bit of good news on the international front;
    Krisztian Nemeth fired Hungary to the U19 European Championships after scoring the only goal in Saturday's final qualifier against Portugal.
    The 19-year-old striker netted three in three during the qualifying campaign and will now play a starring role when the competition gets underway in the Czech Republic on July 14.

Nemeth, the top scorer for Gary Ablett's title-winning reserves last term, will now meet up with Hungary's senior squad ahead of their friendly with Croatia next Saturday.
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160036080525-1239.htm
    Will be great to see him in action now at the U19 Euro's against the best of his age.

Good to see he's in the full international team too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Another bit of good news on the international front;

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160036080525-1239.htm
    Will be great to see him in action now at the U19 Euro's against the best of his age.

Good to see he's in the full international team too.

Pity he's not spanish, he might've gotten a look in in our senior team too. :pac:
    He's been immense for the reserves this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

i would love to see quaresma comin to the pool. whatever happened to him being linked to everybody. i mean, he is too good for that league he is in. but having said that i wouldnt like to have the same problems with him as utd had in the first couple of seasons i.ei him not releasing the ball, no end product, training ground bust ups etc. so i think silva would be an excellent choice. he has alread yshown that he is a team player and has bucket loads of skill to boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Mike.
    According to here, van Basten has axed two more players from the squad (Denny Landzaat and Sander Boschker). As they are a midfielder and goalkeeper respectively, I wonder does this mean that a forward will be next for the chop? As I'm biased towards Kuyt, I'd bring him instead of van Persie (assuming he's fit of course).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement