Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

hunter164 wrote: »
    Jesus, get out a bit more will ya.Where you from?

You do realize you are posting in a Liverpool fc thread on an Irish forum, yes ? 99.9% of the people that post here are Irish Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

So am I!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Well why are youse all having Mickey fits when a fella slags Liverpool??
    That's a very strong way to put it but alot of fans here have supported Liverpool since they were kids. They've been there through the club's ups and downs, the highs and lows and if you invest that much time, energy and emotion into something of course your passion will occasionaly show.

If you're on about the banter between posters here. Well, I like to think that's no different to the innocent exchanges people would have across a bar stool. Often written stuff can come across blunter than intended but with no real meaning :).

That's a very strong way to put it but alot of fans here have supported Liverpool since they were kids. They've been there through the club's ups and downs, the highs and lows and if you invest that much time, energy and emotion into something of course your passion will occasionaly show.

Was that from your couch or barstool?

:D

What are you suggesting Mr Hunter? That my little bit of passion is thanks to 9/10 pints and a few small ones? I'll have you know that I never engage in verbal battles about soccer under the influence of alcoholic beverages. I'm cultured and civilised in all these matters. The cheek of ya :pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Do yourself a favour and quit while you are ahead.
    This is a Liverpool rumours and general discussion thread, hows about we keep it that way?
    Next topic please .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

i read somewhere that we are in discussions with kaka as ronaldinho is planning on going to milan. club aint big enough for both. this would be signing of the decade for us....(almost certain it was just paper talk)

but made me think. who do ppl think is the pools best signing of the naughties?? might be nolstalgic...i will propose big sammi...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mormank wrote: »
    but made me think. who do ppl think is the pools best signing of the naughties?? might be nolstalgic...i will propose big sammi...

we bought him in 1999...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Didi .. signed in 1999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Linked with Michael Johnson from city now....seriously why? We have more than enough central midfielders....

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=716075

That Rierra fellas bid was rejected aswell. Dont think hes good enough to be honest. Rafa makes some strange transfer dealings.

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »
    Linked with Michael Johnson from city now....seriously why? We have more than enough central midfielders....

That Rierra fellas bid was rejected aswell. Dont think hes good enough to be honest. Rafa makes some strange transfer dealings.

with alonso seemingly on his bike, id imagine Johnson is the backup if we fail to get Barry from Villa.

i read somewhere that we are in discussions with kaka as ronaldinho is planning on going to milan. club aint big enough for both. this would be signing of the decade for us....(almost certain it was just paper talk)

Kaka?
    Better chance of Mr Alan singing anti torres songs than that happening id say.
    He plays in the same position as Gerrard, as much as i would love him
    we have more pressing concerns like trying to get a #2 striker and some wingers
    and a replacement for Alonso :(

joe123 wrote: »

As was previously pointed out do we actually have enough in CM?
    We have Masch, Lucas, Gerrard, Barry and Plessis if Alonso goes.
    Gerrard plays as a striker these days and Masch and Lucas are heading off to
    the olympics for the first 4 games of the season at least.
    They will also probably need a rest or pick up injuries no doubt on their return.
    That leaves Barry and Plessis in CM for the start of the season.
    Makes us very lightweight IMHO.

*Im obviously assuming Alonso will be sold and Barry will be replacing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

IrishMike wrote: »
    As was previously pointed out do we actually have enough in CM?
    We have Masch, Lucas, Gerrard, Barry and Plessis if Alonso goes.
    Gerrard plays as a striker these days and Masch and Lucas are heading off to
    the olympics for the first 4 games of the season at least.
    They will also probably need a rest or pick up injuries no doubt on their return.
    That leaves Barry and Plessis in CM for the start of the season.
    Makes us very lightweight IMHO.

*Im obviously assuming Alonso will be sold and Barry will be replacing him.

In an ideal world we could do with maybe another youngster. Having said that, its still our strongest position! We are painfully weak up front and on the wings.

also i very much doubt we'd start the season with Barry and Plessis in midfield. I have no doubt Gerrard would simply drop back and we'd either keep the same formation with someone like Yossi in the AMC role or else just go straight 4-4-2. Gerrard may not be quite as good in a standard CM role as he is in his attacking role but he's a damn site better then most and a million miles ahead of plessis there.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    we bought him in 1999...

dammit i knew someone would spot that. of course. so have we even had any signings that are worthy of being called our signing of the decade. bar maybe torres and he has only been here one year...

dammit i knew someone would spot that. of course. so have we even had any signings that are worthy of being called our signing of the decade. bar maybe torres and he has only been here one year...

the frontrunners i guess would be Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, Reina, gary macalister.
    Think Jari Litmanen would have been one had he not been criminally underused.

Riise would have been one until 2 years ago imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

For me, in terms of actually achieving something, the signing of the noughties has got to be Gary MacLegend. For a start, we got him for nothing and he played a massive part in us winning the treble. What a player!! He is one of my favourite all time Liverpool players and he was only there a couple of seasons.

Kaka? No chance unfortunately. If Chelsea are constantly been linked with a 50m move I'm afraid the pool just aren't at the races :(.

With the upcoming Olympics it ironically looks like Liverpool's greatest need for added strengthening would be the centre of midfield, along with another winger. Are the Olympics mid-August? If so, I wonder would Alonso's (seemingly very likely) transfer be put on hold until transfer deadline day? Or at least until someone else was drafted in to cover Lucas and Masch.

I have to admit Kaka could be tasty for a very nice attacking formation. The problem being that it could be too attacking. But id very much doubt we could get him anyway such would be the bidding war if he decided to move on from Milan.

Arbeloa---Carra--Agger---Dossena
    Masch
    Gerrard--Kaka
    ---New
    Babel
    Torres

• Advertisement

He could wait til Jan

Kaka? Ah here.................

monkey9 wrote: »
    Kaka? Ah here.................
    Well it is a "rumours" thread ... and its nice to dream .. :D

I have to admit Kaka could be tasty for a very nice attacking formation. The problem being that it could be too attacking. But id very much doubt we could get him anyway such would be the bidding war if he decided to move on from Milan.

Arbeloa---Carra--Agger---Dossena
    Masch
    Gerrard--Kaka
    ---New
    Babel
    Torres
    If 50m became available I'd sooner get 2x20m wingers (Silva and Van der Vaart)+ 1x10m striker as cover for Torres, than 1x Kaka.

A team with a solid defence (Carragher) and strong holding defenders (Masch) can never be too attacking :pac:.

If 50m became available I'd sooner get 2x20m wingers (Silva and Van der Vaart)+ 1x10m striker as cover for Torres, than 1x Kaka.

A team with a solid defence (Carragher) and strong holding defenders (Masch) can never be too attacking :pac:.

indeed, that much money could be better spent then blowing our load on just one player, just playing devils advocate on what we would have if we did get him. I dunno about 2 20mill wingers though, i want Babel given every chance to develop. 1 top notch winger (silva), a good backup winger and a good backup striker would do me. Dont think its too much to ask!

GBX wrote: »
    Well it is a "rumours" thread ... and its nice to dream .. :D

I take your point!!!!

Jesus, Kaka and Torres in the same team!!!!! Look, any chance of getting Messi as well! I promise, i won't ask for anything else!!

I just realised that the above sounds like i would like Jesus in the team as well. Where do you think he would play?? I certainly wouldn't put him in goal....not after the crucifixion. Although in saying that, he'd probably be still better than Itjande.

He could wait til Jan
    He could, but I guess the arguement then reverts back to: would using the transfer funds generated by Alonso now be put to better use in getting Barry now. The old potential vs consistency debate. The general consensus seems to be that Gerrard and Barry work well together (especially after the other night) so who knows...

indeed, that much money could be better spent then blowing our load on just one player, just playing devils advocate on what we would have if we did get him. I dunno about 2 20mill wingers though, i want Babel given every chance to develop. 1 top notch winger (silva), a good backup winger and a good backup striker would do me. Dont think its too much to ask!
    Fully agree. 2 wingers is a luxury but even getting 1 would be enough. Babel really impressed me in the CL especially so I'd love to see him develop a bit more in the first team. With alot of maturity and youth on his side he should be there for years and then there's Kuyt. So, things are looking pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

"Adios la!"

Quality, love that lad something fierce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Is that Lee Pressley from Dream Team at the end?

Legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Mr Alan wrote: »
    "Adios la!"

Genius!!! Total genius!!!

Nananananaanananananana

For me, in terms of actually achieving something, the signing of the noughties has got to be Gary MacLegend. For a start, we got him for nothing and he played a massive part in us winning the treble. What a player!! He is one of my favourite all time Liverpool players and he was only there a couple of seasons.

ya its gotta be gary doesnt it!!! but doesnt that say something about our signings!!! remember that free kick he scored from 156 yards to ensure qualification to the champs league!!!

i hope in years to come we are talkin bout torres the same way gooners fans are about henry...we would need a league or two tho i reckon. a gooner's friend of mine told me the other day he still loved henry and would forgive and forget in a heartbeat!! compare that to michael owen for example, i wouldnt take him back now if he begged!!!!

ya its gotta be gary doesnt it!!! but doesnt that say something about our signings!!! remember that free kick he scored from 156 yards to ensure qualification to the champs league!!!

The one against Everton? Complete classic
    By the way i think you will find it was 157 yards and he had only 1 leg at the time! ;)

This mornings rumours
    And Man City midfield playmaker Michael Johnson, 20, is a shock £8m target for Everton. (The Sun)
    Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez hopes to persuade Argentinean midfielder Javier Mascherano to snub playing at the Beijing Olympics. (The Sun)
    Liverpool plan to give star striker Fernando Torres a £4m pay rise. The extra £400,000-a-year is designed to see off interest from Chelsea. (The Sun)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

This mornings rumours

Wonderful source on all 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I belive one of them - Masch at the olympics.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I'd rather no rumours than ones posted from THAT rag.

No Liverpool fan should be promoting anything published by that shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Mr Alan wrote: »
    "Adios la!"

I quite liked the bit where the Cavern is being renamed Caverna :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I take your point!!!!

Jesus, Kaka and Torres in the same team!!!!! Look, any chance of getting Messi as well! I promise, i won't ask for anything else!!

I just realised that the above sounds like i would like Jesus in the team as well. Where do you think he would play?? I certainly wouldn't put him in goal....not after the crucifixion. Although in saying that, he'd probably be still better than Itjande.

Why not, he spreads himself well and is not afraid of a cross?
    According to Catholic doctrine he has saved more than anyone ever will.

The only thing going against him is the fact that he's not spanish or south american

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

mike65 wrote: »
    I belive one of them - Masch at the olympics.

Mike.
    Which was published yesterday by Tony Barrett in the Liverpool Echo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

And was on lfc.tv too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i love how a £400,000 a year pay rise some how becomes £4m??? what is it a ten year contract! full of bs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »

Well said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

all that shower do is steal TBs stories all the ****ing time, even try and pass most of them off as exclusives

even the story about the 2 scouse builders and Gary Neville appearing in it the other day....do you really think those two lads would sell their story to that rag if they were such avid reds? not on your ****ing life. strange how all the quotes are word for word identical to the article about them in last months edition of The Kop....****ing gutter press at it worst that bunch

The only thing going against him is the fact that he's not spanish or south american

I suppose with his long hair and beard....put an alice band on him and we could pass him off as South America!!!!!
    But give him a season and Chelsea will be putting bids in for him.
    Ultimately though, Jesus isn't fit to shine Torres' boots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

zing wrote: »
    And was on lfc.tv too

That would explain it then.

Mike.

Wonderful source on all 3.

Quoted on the BBC website aswell ;)
    Rumours is rumours, is the source important?
    I dont think so because 99% of them are not going to come true anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I suppose with his long hair and beard....put an alice band on him and we could pass him off as South America!!!!!
    But give him a season and Chelsea will be putting bids in for him.
    Ultimately though, Jesus isn't fit to shine Torres' boots

Well with a name like "Jesus" he even sounds South American!

I reckon we should try something like

Reina

The Flash----Paul O'Connell
    Carragher
    Speedy Gonzales

Mascherano
    Chuck Norris

Jesus
    Gerrard
    Babel

Torres

Quoted on the BBC website aswell ;)
    Rumours is rumours, is the source important?
    I dont think so because 99% of them are not going to come true anyway.
    But dont the BBC gather the newspapers gossip/rumours and load them on their site? So still the Sun

You know it's a dry day in the Anfield rumour mill when you see headlines like "Chelsea want Torres" or "Grant shows admiration for Gerrard". What club doesn't? They're among the best in the world.
    It gets better when you see the tabloid "facts" getting borrowed for mainstream press.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement