Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Well with a name like "Jesus" he even sounds South American!

I reckon we should try something like

Reina

The Flash----Paul O'Connell
    Carragher
    Speedy Gonzales

Mascherano
    Chuck Norris

Jesus
    Gerrard
    Babel

Torres

Id have Cedric Haymens instead of Babel, much faster and a more skillful winger ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

GBX wrote: »
    But dont the BBC gather the newspapers gossip/rumours and load them on their site? So still the Sun
    The golden rule is: the longer the rumour the truer the rumour ;)
    The BBC took it from the Sun. The Independent borrowed it from the BBC. The Irish Indo borrowed it from the Indo. The Examiner borrowed it from the Irish Indo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Why not, he spreads himself well and is not afraid of a cross?
    According to Catholic doctrine he has saved more than anyone ever will.

The only thing going against him is the fact that he's not spanish or south american

very good!! lol

and ya gary macs free against everton...swwweeeeeeet!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I love a bit of blasphemy in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

monkey9 wrote: »
    I love a bit of blasphemy in the morning

Smells like.........victory!

:D

I take your point!!!!

Jesus, Kaka and Torres in the same team!!!!! Look, any chance of getting Messi as well! I promise, i won't ask for anything else!!
    I actually just scanned through the post and took it you were on about the classy Seville winger Jesús Navas González :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Villa will wait till after the Euros:
    http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_3628704,00.html

I would imagine most players/teams will do the same.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2008/05/28/liverpool-close-in-on-25m-man-who-could-make-rafas-men-title-chasers/7039.html
    Liverpool are once again supposedly nearing the signing that could well put them back in the title race as Rafa looks for a strike partner who fits well with the fantastic Fernando Torres, and this woudl really be a match made in heaven!

Valencia stars David Villa and David Silva have revealed they are prepared to leave El Mestalla this summer if the club accepts bids from chasing clubs. (Setanta Sports) Liverpool are said to be favourites to land the £25m rated Spanish international hotshot (various)

David Villa is the real deal, a proven striker with a prolific record in one of the best leagues in the world and perhaps most importantly he has scored his mountain of goals despite not plying his trade with either of the big two in Spain. The 26 year old works well with El Nino at international level and i think it wouldn’t be too much of an overstatement to say that the potential partnership of Torres and villa would be the best in the Premier League.

I would honestly cream myself if he signed....

Dejan Stankovic and Maicon (this last one has been the first to call Mancini after the exoneration), could leave Inter. The Serbian seems to have received an offer from Liverpool, while the brazilian, that has not still renewed with nerazzurri, is so much appreciated by Barcelona and Chelsea. If Mancini should to Chelsea transfer, is so easy that the player will follow the manager.
    http://www.transfermarketweb.com/?action=read&idsel=17223

Finally it looks like spurs are about to sign capel for £12m
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3623888,00.html
    Would sicken me to see spurs sign him for that price when we are being linked to Riera and Bentley for similar money.

IrishMike wrote: »
    +1. As a backup to Villa, Aguero would be class.
    (+) younger than Villa
    (-) game:goal ratio is lower but still impressive.
    (-) less experienced than Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What about Santos at Barca. He's supposedly on offer for around nine million

Its actually supposed to be closer to £12m and spurs are strongly linked with him too.
    Spurs will have half the attackers in Europe bought by July if they buy the players they are linked with!

Santos is a fantastic prospect. More first team action will be on the boy's mind and given Rafa's Spanish links never say never. He could be gradually phased in like Babel and Lucas. Liverpool would still need another experienced winger if they got him though. He wouldn't be ready for a regular first team start just yet, given the physical demands of top 4 football. But over time he'd be awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

New Torres Nike Ad

Download for mobiles etc. (mp4)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7j9t94

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

What about Santos at Barca. He's supposedly on offer for around nine million

He's going to be class.. I will be sick if Spurs pick him up on the cheap (8-9m). 12m is a bit steep however as he's only a kid..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ibh wrote: »
    He's going to be class.. I will be sick if Spurs pick him up on the cheap (8-9m). 12m is a bit steep however as he's only a kid..

heard he's supposed to have a real attitude problem though? doesn't train seriously or that, and that's why they are willing to let him go.

• Advertisement

heard he's supposed to have a real attitude problem though? doesn't train seriously or that, and that's why they are willing to let him go.
    Rafa would put manners on him ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Precoucious young talent= Attitude problem. No biggie. If you get him early and get a few years out of him, under a manager that takes no shit he do ok. Then sell him for big bucks..

I wonder has the emergence of Bojan pissed him off?? Cause last year he was being talked up big time, then Bojan started doing the business and heard fcukall about Santos after that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ibh wrote: »
    I wonder has the emergence of Bojan pissed him off?? Cause last year he was being talked up big time, then Bojan started doing the business and heard fcukall about Santos after that..

he plays the same position as Messi though, on the right? maybe he just thinks he'll never get first team opportunities while Messi is at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Rafa would put manners on him ;).
    Not so sure about that - Rafa isn't the 'arm around the shoulder' type manager. He didn't exactly put manners on Bellamy did he!

Just a quick update on the Share Liverpool group: On the rumour front, Madrid may rival Juventus for Alonso's signiture. Certainly wouldn't do any harm for Liverpool's transfer funds.
    http://goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=716712

It would be interesting to hear how many of those interested bidders are active forum users.

Ronnie Whelan and Jason McAteer among them while pledged bids are now at 15,000. 25,000 more interested. 100,000 needed.
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2008/05/30/two-more-ex-players-onside-in-share-liverpool-fc-bid-100252-20995806/

• Advertisement

The agent of Espanyol midfielder Albert Riera says there is no truth in the reports that Liverpool have made a bid for his player. (BBC Sport, 1535 BST)

Thank god for that.
    Considering he is being touted around for the same fee as Capel, Dos Santos etc i think
    he is very very expensive for what you are getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

if the Share Liverpool idea was going ahead, i'd definately be involved.

cant see it happening though, the time for this to happen was 5 years ago, not now in the middle of a worldwide recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

joker77 wrote: »
    Not so sure about that - Rafa isn't the 'arm around the shoulder' type manager. He didn't exactly put manners on Bellamy did he!

Perhaps Rafa didnt ... but he didnt last that long at the club either ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'm interested in the Degen signing. A poster on another forum reckoned he wasn't getting much game time with Dortmund so would he even be a step up on Arbeloa or Finnan. Haven't seen him play but he's supposed to be good going forward. Guess Euro 2008 will be the best measure of his level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'm interested in the Degen signing. A poster on another forum reckoned he wasn't getting much game time with Dortmund so would he even be a step up on Arbeloa or Finnan. Haven't seen him play but he's supposed to be good going forward. Guess Euro 2008 will be the best measure of his level.

Degan spent most of last season injured.
    Can't really blame him for not playing that much.

He's young, very fast, supposedly tireless, and strong as a bull.

He played right wing as a kid, and is more of a wing back than an arthodox full back.

He's supposedly good going forward, but a bit suspect at the back.

Like Dosenna, he's real strength is in getting forward and that's what I think Rafa is interested in.

Dessena and Degan as flying wingbacks, with Masch mopping up for them behind, and Babel and a new right sided player cutting inside.

Think Abidal and Ronildinho for Barca.

Degan spent most of last season injured.
    Can't really blame him for not playing that much.

He's young, very fast, supposedly tireless, and strong as a bull.

He played right wing as a kid, and is more of a wing back than an arthodox full back.

He's supposedly good going forward, but a bit suspect at the back.
    Good assessment. Apart from this video link from his official page there doesn't apear to be too much coverage of him: http://www.degendegen.com/
    Anyways, hopefully he'll have a few good years with the pool in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I doubt that rafa would have gone for him if he could not see a position for him in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I doubt that rafa would have gone for him if he could not see a position for him in the team.

+1

its all a part of the plan ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Rafa isnt always right though, he makes mistake, particularly with attacking players I find.

Bellamy
    Fowler
    Crouch
    Kuyt
    Voronin
    Babel
    Benayoun
    Garcia
    Torres
    Gonzalez
    Zenden

How many of those are truly top class ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Tusky wrote: »
    Rafa isnt always right though, he makes mistake, particularly with attacking players I find.

Bellamy
    Fowler
    Crouch
    Kuyt
    Voronin
    Babel
    Benayoun
    Garcia
    Torres
    Gonzalez
    Zenden

Torres ... Fowler was .. Babel is gonna be ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Tusky wrote: »
    How many were meant to be? From that list I'd say maybe 3 - other's are make weights in other transfers (eg garcia), potential top class (eg gonzalez), frees (eg veronin), brought in to do a job for a while (eg fowler).

Ideally we should always be aiming for top class obviously but squads rarely work like that. No he's not always right, but what I like about rafa is that he's reasonably quick to ship on his mistakes - he makes plently like any other manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

p.pete wrote: »
    How many were meant to be? From that list I'd say maybe 3 - other's are make weights in other transfers (eg garcia), potential top class (eg gonzalez), frees (eg veronin), brought in to do a job for a while (eg fowler).

Ideally we should always be aiming for top class obviously but squads rarely work like that. No he's not always right, but what I like about rafa is that he's reasonably quick to ship on his mistakes - he makes plently like any other manager.

I agree, I think Rafa has done well for the most part. When he has been given money he has spent it well. One thing that annoys me about him is that he seems to go for quantity rather than quality. I could understand this for the first few seasons as we needed an overhaul of the squad but now Id rather we buy less players and spend more money on them.

After four years, you would have expected him to bring in more than one top quality attacker though...Babel may make it two, only time will tell.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Re Share Liverpool,a few of the Lads from IrishKop were at the meeting and will post up a review when they get a chance.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Re Share Liverpool,a few of the Lads from IrishKop were at the meeting and will post up a review when they get a chance.
    That'll be an interesting insight. From the links I put up earlier they should hit the 100,000 target from the campaign as a whole (500m). But whether it's enough to move out the Americans is another thing. If they were looking for a quick profit they could have sold out to DIC months ago. Although one of them was interested. Was there any public release about the size of buy-out DIC were offering?...Just checked £450m.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/05/01/sfndic101.xml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Share Liverpool got coverage on RTE news at 6:00 this evening. Spoke briefly about the background behind the club/initiative and had a quick interview with Rogan. Great publicity for the cause. Hopefully it'll be on the 9:00 news too.

no dont believe anything you see at the euros..dont wanna get stuck with another diouf type player!! was good against france and then we got stuck with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

mormank wrote: »
    no dont believe anything you see at the euros..dont wanna get stuck with another diouf type player!! was good against france and then we got stuck with him
    As far as I remember, the Diouf deal was done before the 2002 World Cup had kicked off. By doing well for Senegal he made it seem like we were getting value for money. Oh how wrong we were! :mad:

in that respect it doesn't really matter how he does at the euro's...degen is already our player.

On th euro's in general, its a no win situation really. A players value cant really drop if they have a poor campaign as its only one short tournament so if they did well with their club, they hold their value. But their value can sure as hell rise if they shine on the world (well european) stage. Fingers crossed we get as much of our business done as possible before they start. or that all our targets are fantastic players who have stinkers for their countries in June!

• Advertisement

true enough about the degen deal. he is of course already ours. remember the last world cup before we signed kuyt?/ i remember everybody lookin at him playin thinkin why is rafa signing him...turns out we were right. although i dont wanna start the kuyt bashing again. lets just say he has been a mixed signing for us. wouldnt mind if he was our cover striker next year. just not a winger plz

i was happy enough with his stint on the wing. would obviously prefer a top notch attacking winger, but i wouldn't mind him being used as cover for both striker and winger. Dont think he's quite at the level we'd like to be starting though. To be fair to him as well he's proven to be a big game player for us.

yeah good point. but thats what i mean. he can be our pennant next season. dont want him to leave just as long as he doesnt play 60 games for us next season..

can anybody give me an example of a player who was first noticed at a big tournie i.e world cup or euros, that turned into a great success for the team that went out and bought him off the back of these few performances??

There'll certainly be a few clubs taking a financial sting thanks to the euro finals: some less than average player who has the form of his life for a handful of games. The next "Cristiano Ronaldo" will be offered a major contract and as soon as his signiture goes on the dotted lines he'll suddenly return to his old (shabby) self again :D. Hopefully Rafa gets lucky and off-loads a few of Liverpool's "Cristiano Ronaldos".

With Kuyt, he certainly has enough quality to justify next season's squad position if nothing else. Hopefully Babel will take a bigger role and build on the success this season. One other winger and maybe a striker and its home and dry.

can anybody give me an example of a player who was first noticed at a big tournie i.e world cup or euros, that turned into a great success for the team that went out and bought him off the back of these few performances??
    It's a tricky question alright. Most international players at major tournaments are already established at a relatively big club and as a result show up on the international radar for selection, rather than the other way around.

If I had to pick one (and admittedly it's a pretty crap example) I'd mention Carvalho. Granted he had already maintained very good form with Porto during the 03-04 season but I think it was his performance with Portugal in Euro 2004 that put him in the limelight and earned (dubious choice of word :p) him a big money transfer to Chelsea.

I'm sure the other lads will think of a few better examples :).

It's a tricky question alright. Most international players at major tournaments are already established at a relatively big club and as a result show up on the international radar for selection, rather than the other way around.

If I had to pick one (and admittedly it's a pretty crap example) I'd mention Carvalho. Granted he had already maintained very good form with Porto during the 03-04 season but I think it was his performance with Portugal in Euro 2004 that put him in the limelight and earned (dubious choice of word :p) him a big money transfer to Chelsea.

I'm sure the other lads will think of a few better examples :).

while reading your post i think i thought of one. whilst he was already on the radar im sure to some extent. Mr Ronaldinho's big breakthrough was at 2002 world cup when alot of ppl didnt even know who the guy was that was keeping the mighty rivaldo out of the team..he then moved to Barca

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Djiouf and Diao at the world cup...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Papa Bouba Diop too. There were a whole lot of Senegalese make weights signed after that tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Absolutely crap source but .... 20m for Ribery ..
    http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=717666

Better chances of getting the likes of Villa & Silva imo

Wasnt patrick berger signed on the back of the euros or am i dreaming?

Liverpool are ready to unload left-sided attacking full-back John Arne Riise with Newcastle likely to target the Norwegian. (Daily Star)

Another dodgy defender off to that retirement home in the north it seems

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement