Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Tusky wrote: »
    One thing that annoys me about him is that he seems to go for quantity rather than quality.
    Are you trying to fill the gaping hole left by PHB with all this re-posting of the same opinion over and over? 'Cos that's one hole we could do with leaving wiiiiide open. Judge him after he's finished shopping eh.

Gerrard's fawning over Barry in the news yesterday was a bit odd. I think he just wants his mate at the club because he seems to be overstating his abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Would be happy to see Rafa pay 20-25 for riberry. And Barry would not be a bad signing, he would be well able to fill in in a nu,ber of positions if needed, not a guaranteed starter by any means though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

IrishMike wrote: »
    Wasnt patrick berger signed on the back of the euros or am i dreaming?

I belive so, that tournament combined with the Bosman Ruling at end of 95 was the starting gun for Prem imports on a large scale.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

The return we are getting from Kuyt is similar to what he was getting at Utrecht - about one in four. It was only at Feyenoord he was prolific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

zing wrote: »
    Absolutely crap source but .... 20m for Ribery ..
    http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=717666

Better chances of getting the likes of Villa & Silva imo
    The Ribery rumours are a carbon copy of the ones that appeared weeks ago on the same website but about Chelsea rather than Liverool. I think Bayern payed that amount for him only a year ago plus he's one of their most creative players. So if he went at all it would take a minimum of £25m (the old: a top 4 club want him and his current club don't need to sell him routine).
    Another dodgy defender off to that retirement home in the north it seems
    Funny yet probably very, very trueth_tongue-smiley-8855.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

zing wrote: »
    Absolutely crap source but .... 20m for Ribery ..
    http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=717666

Better chances of getting the likes of Villa & Silva imo

ok just watched this guy on youtube. now i know that mere clips can make anybody look good but it is the arrogance that he shows that interests me...we need somebody like that in the team. somebody who just thinks he is better than everybody else!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

To be fair he thinks he is better than everyone because he is better than almost everyone.
    The closest thing to the new zidane that is out there at the moment.
    Brilliant brilliant player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Wasnt patrick berger signed on the back of the euros or am i dreaming?

Poborsky was, Berger was injured for the bulk of that comp afair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

While he's been overrated somewhat (especially by the French) I think Ribery would be ideal for Liverpool, but i don't think there's a hope in hell he'll be let move so soon, it would take at least £30m i'd hazard, which i dont think anyone in their right mind would be willing to pay for him.

While he's been overrated somewhat (especially by the French) I think Ribery would be ideal for Liverpool, but i don't think there's a hope in hell he'll be let move so soon, it would take at least £30m i'd hazard, which i dont think anyone in their right mind would be willing to pay for him.
    Bayern would certainly throw out numbers like that, especially if the player was showing no signs of wanting a transfer. I'd say the max any club would pay would be around the 25m mark and even then Chelsea would still probably pay in the £100,000 bracket in wages and out price any other club.

But like Mormank said, he's exactly the kind of creative, if not slightly arrogant attacking midfielder that Liverpool need right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Sorry if this was mentioned before, I just read in todays Irish Independent that Bernard O'Byrne is the Co-Ordinator of the Irish section of Share Liverpool FC.

The same guy who supposedly "mis-used a FAI company credit card on a number of occasions during his four-and-a-half years in office". And didnt some Eircom league club get rid of him aswell. Jesus if I was Liverpool fan and wanted to buy shares then I certainly wouldnt give a cent if the money had to go through him!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

babel out of euro 08 - gutted for him :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

mayordenis wrote: »
    babel out of euro 08 - gutted for him :(

Torn ankle ligaments, could mean he misses the start of the season too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How annoying is that? Got 8 weeks to recover.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Really feel sorry for Babel, was really looking forward to seeing him in the Euro's. Hope he recovers well and in time for the start of the season

What a shame about Babel. Playing for his country in the euros would've given him a massive lift. Here's hoping he's fit for August.

ah thats horrible news...now we definitely need a new top drawer winger. this will surely hinder his developement if not keep him out for the start of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sh!t, didn't know that about Babel. And there was i today reading about himself and Kuyt making the Dutch squad. Gutted for him, it would have been great experience for him. Plenty more tournaments for him though

True only a young lad and he has a whole lot of football ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Unlucky babel, jeeze gutted for the chap!:(

Any timeline on the injury as of yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Spain beat Peru 2-1.. Good game, Xavi with a nice assist, but Spain looked a little shaky... Capdevilla with a beauty though... Also, yet again Villa outclassed Torres in a Spanish shirt, it'd be a crime for Torres to be played at the expense of Villa... Silva was good yet again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

eZe^ wrote: »
    Spain beat Peru 2-1.. Good game, Xavi with a nice assist, but Spain looked a little shaky... Capdevilla with a beauty though... Also, yet again Villa outclassed Torres in a Spanish shirt, it'd be a crime for Torres to be played at the expense of Villa... Silva was good yet again.

what are they like as a partnership? havent seen much of spain recently, do they even play together for spain?

stick-dan wrote: »
    Unlucky babel, jeeze gutted for the chap!:(

Any timeline on the injury as of yet?
    According to the official Liverpool website they still don't know yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

How did Alonso play?

eZe^ wrote: »
    Thanks for the update. Did they both play together or did Torres come on off the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Torres started with Villa up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Lads, sorry bout posting that here... I was meant to post in the euro 2008 thread. Now it just seems like I was Torres bashing... Apologies.... Although, Alonso was extremely disappointing iswell... :p
    what are they like as a partnership? havent seen much of spain recently, do they even play together for spain?

No, under this Aragones side they have only played with one upfront... But over the past couple of weeks he has decided he wants to play with both Villa and Torres upfront, at the expense of Fabregas... It should be a winning combination, especially when you can replace either with Guiza (scored 27 goals in the league this season) to change your point of attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

bbc gossip wrote:
    Liverpool are officially the best team in Europe. The Anfield club top the official Uefa rankings that are based on European performances over the last five years. AC Milan are a point behind in second, Chelsea make into third while European champions Manchester United only make it to seventh. (Sunday Express)

I always knew it:pac: Great work by Rafa, a slow and steady improvement under him. Let's hope we can translate it into some trophies this year. And attract one more star player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

oobydooby wrote: »
    And attract one more star player.

attracting them isnt the problem, its the paying for them : /

This is so typical News of the World and of course, Chris Bascombe. The following story is taking from Liverpoolfc.tv

Fernando Torres has spoken about his affection for Liverpool FC and said he wants to stay at the club for many years to come.
    El Nino, who is preparing for Euro 2008 with Spain, was a record breaker in his debut season at Anfield when he beat Ruud van Nistelrooy's scoring record. His strike at Tottenham on the final day of the season saw the Spanish star become the most prolific foreigner ever in a debut season with 24 Premier League goals.

Earlier this week Rafael Benitez laughed off suggestions linking his star striker with a move away from Anfield and said the player is simply not for sale.

"It is an honour to be linked to clubs like Barcelona, Chelsea, or Arsenal, but I am not thinking about a change and I want to continue playing for Liverpool for many years to come," said Torres.

Reflecting on his debut season at Anfield the Reds number nine said things couldn't have gone any better for him.

"It's been quite easy for me," he added. "I have been able to enjoy every minute at a club where things have gone well.

"I have been part of a team where every player shares the same goals and where a player can rely on the support of his team-mates.

"I have also worked with a manager who believed in me. It was the combination of all these factors

The story comes with the headline Torres:I love it at Anfield.

But of course, NOTW try to spin it with the headline Torres 'honour' Shocker. They go on to say how Torres has 'stunned' Liverpool fans by claiming to be honoured to be linked with the likes of Chelsea. But they're angle comes back round by saying Liverpool fans have nothing to worry about as he also says he wants to stay for years to come.
    I know it's typical of them and no surprise, but i just needed to get it out of me. Now i can carry on with my Sunday. I feel better already.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »

The story comes with the headline Torres:I love it at Anfield.

But of course, NOTW try to spin it with the headline Torres 'honour' Shocker. They go on to say how Torres has 'stunned' Liverpool fans by claiming to be honoured to be linked with the likes of Chelsea. But they're angle comes back round by saying Liverpool fans have nothing to worry about as he also says he wants to stay for years to come.
    I know it's typical of them and no surprise, but i just needed to get it out of me. Now i can carry on with my Sunday. I feel better already.
    How trash like that get printed is beyond me. Torres was being diplomatic using the word "honoured". It's a bit lame creating news out of that. Why not actually do proper research on a story with real substance for a change?

As others have said, the tabloids have a controversial history with Liverpool FC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

if the rumours of Dos Santos being set to join spurs in the next few days are true i'd be absolutely gutted we didn't make a stab at getting him. Ridiculously good price being mooted!
    Giovani Dos Santos is on the verge of completing a move from Barcelona to Tottenham Hotspur after a basic agreement was reached between all three parties.

The 19-year-old Mexico international could join the Premier League side as early as Monday according to Sport after Barca accepted an 8million euros (£6.2million) bid.

That fee may rise to 11million euros (£8.6million) depending on both Dos Santos and Tottenham meeting specified targets during his four-year stay at White Hart Lane.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3637519,00.html

6.2mill is just nuts, we should really be all over that, trying to gazump them! Even 8mill straight off the bat would be a great deal imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You really have to wonder why they are letting him go for so cheap though?

Seeing more reports of Alonso going to Juve and his transfer being used to fund a move for Silva and then Barry being taken in to replace Alonso.

The transfer window isn't even open yet and Spurs have signed some quality players right under the big clubs' radars. Cheap? The price seems reasonable for a relatively inexperienced yet high potential teenager. I'd like to have seen Rafa make a move for him too. Along with young Nemeth, the Hungarian reserves striker they'd have some good up and coming prospects for the future. Hopefully there's still time to gate crash the deal.

The transfer window isn't even open yet and Spurs have signed some quality players right under the big clubs' radars. Cheap? The price seems reasonable for a relatively inexperienced yet high potential teenager. I'd like to have seen Rafa make a move for him too. Along with young Nemeth, the Hungarian reserves striker they'd have some good up and coming prospects for the future. Hopefully there's still time to gate crash the deal.

The only thing is that Rafa is obviously looking at more established players
    or else we would have been strongly linked with Dos Santos and Capel.
    Can see him pulling a move for silva or villa out of the bag in a few weeks.
    Im very optimistic about what is going to happen in the summer transfer market.

Well you couldn't sign him as a completely reserve player with a few years time in mind - he's played for the barca senior team in and around 30 times i think bagged a couple of goals - has player in the CL - with him mordic and possibly bentley - spurs would have a good chance of taking 4th especially if they could hang on to berbatov

spurs would have a good chance of taking 4th especially if they could hang on to berbatov

that they'll mount a challenge seems almost a certainty, the question is, at the expense of whom? Alonso out with Barry and Silva in would certainly seem a good bit of business. would Silva would be a solution on the wings though? I know he can play there, but i thought he's best through the middle. it would still seem to be a vulnerability should that be Pool's main activity this summer...

The only thing is that Rafa is obviously looking at more established players
    or else we would have been strongly linked with Dos Santos and Capel.
    Can see him pulling a move for silva or villa out of the bag in a few weeks.
    Im very optimistic about what is going to happen in the summer transfer market.
    I'm optimistic myself but why choose a striker over a class winger? Where would Villa fit in at the minute? There's already Crouch on the bench and if Nemeth gets a full squad place next season he's another class young prospect. Are you saying Liverpool should start with 2 strikers?
    Well you couldn't sign him as a completely reserve player with a few years time in mind
    I'm saying sign him with the view to phasing him in. The role in the team grows as experience and confidence grows. It works with united: they've blended talented youth (Nani and Anderson) with established players like Scholes and Giggs. If those guys retire next season there's already two 20 year olds to take their place who have CL campaign and winner's medals behind them. That's what the pool need to aim for as well as signing experienced guys like Barry etc.

Here's Liverpool's rising star Nemeth in the reserves:

That's why I don't think Villa is an essential buy. Another top quality winger and Nemeth as understudy to Torres next season is the dream ticket imo. Along with experienced players like Barry (if he signs) and the same core of the team as last season.

watched the games on LFC TV and he does look like the real deal. Still, it is the reserves and it is a massive step up to first team.

• Advertisement

watched the games on LFC TV and he does look like the real deal.

definitely has promise. time to get him playing against real goalkeepers soon though, some of the attempted saves were awful in that vid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If I'm right, Gerrard was the last player to make a step-up from the reserves, and how many years ago was that? Since then we've had the likes of Mellor and Warnock flirt with making an impact, but nothing really came of them. I understand that Nemeth was bought recently enough by Rafa, but it would be rash to pin our hopes on him.
    would Silva would be a solution on the wings though? I know he can play there, but i thought he's best through the middle. it would still seem to be a vulnerability should that be Pool's main activity this summer...

Liverpool don't play with out-and-out wingers hugging the sideline and pinging in crosses. We play with a fairly narrow three, with the two wider players cutting in. Hence we play the right-footed Babel on the left of the three, even though he can't cross with his left foot at all. If Silva did arrive, I'd see him taking Kuyt's place on the right of the three, allowing him to cut in onto his left-foot.

I'll be disappointed if Alonso leaves, but if we use the money to finance a move for a player of Silva's quality, I will be more than happy. Barry is an able replacement for Alonso, and he has already shown a good understanding with Gerrard, he's got great Premiership experience and he's versatile.

On Spurs: In signing Modric & Dos Santos, they'll have 2 huge young talents. They're a bit lightweight for the Premiership and may not make an immediate impact, but they're both players I'd love to see at Liverpool. Has Commoli redeemed himself after the signing of Darren Bent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Barry looked fairly sh#t hot for england albeit against terrible opponents.I realy think he wold be a great signing for us but knowing our luck he will stick with villa or Villa will put a crazy price on him:rolleyes:

blackburn are ready to sell bentley for 8.5 million according to the sun. for this price he'd be a good purchase. along with silva of course!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

blackburn are ready to sell bentley for 8.5 million according to the sun. for this price he'd be a good purchase. along with silva of course!!

8.5 million is the very most I'd like to see Liverpool spend on Bentley - and only after a top quality attacker was brought in.

He may turn out to be the best thing since sliced bread, or he may turn out to be another over-hyped one-season wonder. We were linked with the likes of Stelios and Gamst Pederson after a season of flashy performances on the wings, and we ended up picking up Pennant after a similarly successful season with Birmingham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Today's BBC Gossip rumours
    Ricardo Quaresma, a £15m target for Liverpool, has declared he wants to leave Porto. (Metro)

John Arne Riise will head the summer exodus from Liverpool by joining Roma for £5m. (Daily Express)

Blackburn are set to replace £8.5m Liverpool target David Bentley with Wolves' Michael Kightly. (The Sun)

Don't know about Quaresma for £15m - havent seen much of him but just afraid he might not be up to the physicality of the PL. However does posess some silkly skills - according to some YouTube vids. Would have thought
    Porto would have been looking for around £20m for him. Price could rise or fall depending on his performance at the Euros.

£5m for JAR - Would be well pleased with £5m esp after his performances this season. Hopefully the move will get him going again as he is a guy I've always had a good bit of time for, esp after the Bellamy incident.

If we get Bentley for £8.5m I'd be delighted. However I honestly cant see us getting him for that little. If we did it would be a massive bargain.

He was an ever present in my fantasy football team this season and last, so have been watching him fairly closely, and I've thought he could definately do a great job for us on the RW. I don't agree that he has had just one good season a la Gamst Pedersen - from what I've seen he has shown constant upward development.

Also people say he's slow for a winger, which is nonsense - he's not a speedy gonzalez player who's only asset is speed - but he is decent enough speed-wise and I remember a fair few goals where he set up assists for McCathy/Santa Cruz on the break with tasty passes and could easily imagine him doing the same with Torres. Also if it was a choice between him for £8.5 and Quaserma for £15m I'd go for Bentley every day of the week.

Also re Babel - harsh for him missing out in the Euros, but tbh i'm also feeling that maybe a break could do him good. He was playing at the Euro U21s last year and I think that had an impact on his performance. At least this way he should get a complete pre-season which will set him up for next season.

Re Nemeth - looks like he is deserving of a squad place. People are saying he might no make the breakthrough to the first-team. Fair enough if he doesn't I say. At the very least it shows that there is a chance of making it and worst case scenario I'm sure if he doesnt work out for us, we will manage to make a couple of quid selling him on, which is not to be sneezed at.

Today's BBC Gossip rumours

Don't know about Quaresma for £15m - havent seen much of him but just afraid he might not be up to the physicality of the PL. However does posess some silkly skills - according to some YouTube vids. Would have thought
    Porto would have been looking for around £20m for him. Price could rise or fall depending on his performance at the Euros.

£5m for JAR - Would be well pleased with £5m esp after his performances this season. Hopefully the move will get him going again as he is a guy I've always had a good bit of time for, esp after the Bellamy incident.

If we get Bentley for £8.5m I'd be delighted. However I honestly cant see us getting him for that little. If we did it would be a massive bargain.

He was an ever present in my fantasy football team this season and last, so have been watching him fairly closely, and I've thought he could definately do a great job for us on the RW. I don't agree that he has had just one good season a la Gamst Pedersen - from what I've seen he has shown constant upward development.

Also people say he's slow for a winger, which is nonsense - he's not a speedy gonzalez player who's only asset is speed - but he is decent enough speed-wise and I remember a fair few goals where he set up assists for McCathy/Santa Cruz on the break with tasty passes and could easily imagine him doing the same with Torres. Also if it was a choice between him for £8.5 and Quaserma for £15m I'd go for Bentley every day of the week.

Also re Babel - harsh for him missing out in the Euros, but tbh i'm also feeling that maybe a break could do him good. He was playing at the Euro U21s last year and I think that had an impact on his performance. At least this way he should get a complete pre-season which will set him up for next season.

Re Nemeth - looks like he is deserving of a squad place. People are saying he might no make the breakthrough to the first-team. Fair enough if he doesn't I say. At the very least it shows that there is a chance of making it and worst case scenario I'm sure if he doesnt work out for us, we will manage to make a couple of quid selling him on, which is not to be sneezed at.

I would take bentley for £8.5m over Quaserma for twice the price.
    Not a big fan of Quaserma, think he will be too lightweight for the premiership.
    Oh and bentley is slow for a winger, to be honest i think he is too slow
    for a counterattacking team with Gerrard Torres and Babel all having
    excellent pace.
    Still for £8.5m think it would be an excellent bit of business.
    Would surely get £5m for pennant which is a very small outlay for a decent
    improvement on the wing.
    Still dont think he is anywhere near world class though and if Liverpool have
    money to spend i really hope its not spent big on Bentley.

As for Riise, any team that would offer £5m should have their hand taken off.
    Would be an excellent bit of business.

anyone who cant see the class that bentley has is blind simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

While Barry in his last two performances for England has really made me rethink not wanting to sign him i think Bentleys performances have been pi$$ poor. i really dont think he will make the step up, if we sold Pennant for 5m and got him for 8.5m maybe but he isnt what we need, he isnt that much better than Pennant and he will never be a world class winger.

• Advertisement

Was never really sure whether Bentley would be up to it at Liverpool, but in the 4-2-3-1 formation we've been playing, he might actually do well. A lack of pace may not be that big a problem as the formation doesn't require out and out wingers. He can spot a pass and could lay one on for Torres on a break. Also, we would have the pace of Babel on the left and also the powerful runs of Gerrard.
    As much as Pennant annoys me and he probably will leave, i wouldn't mind keeping him as a squad player to provide pace for the right side if that was needed or change in formation etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement