Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good news about Dossena, it would be great to see someone actually signed. Thats worth talking about.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Boggles wrote: »
    If Liverpool win the league twice and champions league in the next 2 years with Barry at the helm, 30 million would be a bargain, no? :pac:
    He'd be a bargain buy if he could bring those back to Anfield. Along with a new stadium they'll need an extension on the trophy room at this rate :D
    Boggles wrote: »
    I think 10-12 million plus Carson will be the deal and will be a fair deal.
    That looks to be a good deal all round. For 15m or so Liverpool get their man and Villa would probably afford Shaun Wright Phillips and possibly Steve Sidwell to bolster a fairly thin squad. Good exchange I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Ah i love how the 20m figure provoked a response, i know all you Liverpool fans dont think hes worth that, thats why hopefully MON will ride the storm out and keep Barry.

and +1 to what Savman said on the other points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Ah i love how the 20m figure provoked a response, i know all you Liverpool fans dont think hes worth that, thats why hopefully MON will ride the storm out and keep Barry.

That's what it is all about. He doesn't want to sell, that is quite clear. MON will do what he has to do to keep Barry, which includes a very public battle of wills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yeah keep an unhappy player instead of getting money in to replace him, makes a lot of sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

I see where you're coming from and naturally Villa fans will want to keep their captain. But I doubt the price will be the determining factor here. If Barry really wanted to move there'd be precious little MON or anyone else could do once the 15m mark is reached. There's nothing worse than having a disinterested player at a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

They wont, Villa are just waiting for the right offer on their terms, not Liverpools.
    thats why hopefully MON will ride the storm out and keep Barry.

Make up your mind - do you want him to stay or go..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Savman wrote: »
    Have to chime in here, cos that's utter crap. You're accusing MON of lying? Christ Jebus he's one of the few characters that has stuck to integrity and morals throughout this entire affair.

Utter crap.
    MON came out and said that he had never been in contact with Liverpool.
    Rafa came out and said that yes they had, and that he had spoken to MON regarding the transfer two weeks earlier.
    MON then admitted that yes they had talked, but never came to an agreement (which Rafa had never even claimed!).

What do you call that?!

Lying.

"No, I never talked to him, except for when I talked to him!!!"
    Savman wrote:
    The story appeared in the Liverpool Echo the morning after Liverpool faxed a bid to AVFC. A bid that was declined as it were.

The story appeared in the Echo before the Birminham paper, cause Liverpool leaked it first.
    I never denied that.
    All I pointed out was that as soon as Villa got an official fax, it was leaked to their media outlet, in the same way as Liverpool did with the Echo.

Also as for this statement:

Savman wrote:
    More rubbish. Please don't drag us down to your level. You may well be the bigger club but it wouldn't do you any harm to act like it once in a while.

What?

Like Man Utd?
    Or Chelsea?
    Or Milan?
    Or Inter?
    Or Juve?
    Or Real?
    Or Barca?
    Or any of the big clubs?!!

All big clubs do it.

Stop being so bitter.

The simple fact of the matter is that both clubs, and managers lied.
    They both know exactly what they're doing.
    Neither have acted well.
    In fact the only person in the whole thing that has acted well is Garrath Barry himself, and fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

also i cannot see any other top 4 team, aresenal aside bidding for him

and they arent going to pay over the odds either so villa are screwed in that regard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

All big clubs do it.
    Stop being so bitter.
    No, they don't actually. Just you, Chelsea and Real Madrid seemingly. ManU and Arsenal seem to know how to conduct their affairs with due diligence whereas Anfield and Stamford Bridge are like a never ending episode of Dream Team.
    In fact the only person in the whole thing that has acted well is Garrath Barry himself, and fair play to him.
    That's our boy. btw "Gareth" is his name, if you're gonna pay £15m you should really know the lad's name :D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

exactly Cyrus, if there is no competition for Barry's signiature, it will not go anywhere near €20m.

I would guess that this will end up around 10m + Carson.

I don't think Carson is worth nearly 20m but since Villa already agreed on it effectively last season that would effectively make buying Barry worth €20. But realistically, more like €16 since I don't think Carson would get €10m.

No, they don't actually. Just you, Chelsea and Real Madrid seemingly. ManU and Arsenal seem to know how to conduct their affairs with due diligence whereas Anfield and Stamford Bridge are like a never ending episode of Dream Team.

Yeah, I'm just gonna sit back and let somebody else do most of the work here!

Alex Fergusson.
    Never tapped a player up in his life.

And Juve, and AC.
    Model clubs, never did anything wrong ever!

Savman wrote:
    That's our boy. btw "Gareth" is his name, if you're gonna pay £15m you should really know the lad's name :D

Yeah, but for how long!

:p

(joke)

Like Man Utd?
    Or Chelsea?
    Or Milan?
    Or Inter?
    Or Juve?
    Or Real?
    Or Barca?
    Or any of the big clubs?!!

All big clubs do it

Stop being so bitter.

They do indeed but heres the kicker, they offer good players in sensible deals, look at what rafa allegedly offered MON in exchange for his captain, Crouch-Villa reject, Pennant-Brum Arsenal & Liverpool reject, Riise - hopeless, Carson - ridiculously overpriced, you accuse me of inflating Barrys worth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

ManU ... seem to know how to conduct their affairs with due diligence whereas Anfield and Stamford Bridge are like a never ending episode of Dream Team.

Ahem: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/columnists/reade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

They do indeed but heres the kicker, they offer good players in sensible deals, look at what rafa allegedly offered MON in exchange for his captain, Crouch-Villa reject, Pennant-Brum Arsenal & Liverpool reject, Riise - hopeless, Carson - ridiculously overpriced, you accuse me of inflating Barrys worth!

Your posts are absolutely ridiculous. Is every player that gets sold a 'reject' of the club ? Of course they arent. Thats a brainless thing to say.

Crouch, Pennant and Carson would all be first choice at Villa..possibly even Riise too.

Alex Fergusson.
    Never tapped a player up in his life.

And Juve, and AC.
    Model clubs, never did anything wrong ever!

Yeah but whilst i admire those clubs success i dont admire their unpleasant transfer and business dealings, is that really where you want Liverpool to be at? to imitate Juventus' & Milan practices? guess H&G are having more of an impact upon Liverpools supporters attitudes then i realised.

I never once accussed you of inflating Barry's worth.
    I think that most Liverpool fans criminally undervalue him.
    Great player.
    Easily worth £15,000,000 +

And how can you accuse Liverpool of overpricing Carson, when Villa and MON both agreed to the price a year ago, but are now trying to pay less than they already agreed to?!

And come on man.
    Crouch and Pennant are decent players.
    Neither fit into Rafas formations so they're being moved on as both require first team football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Crouch wasn't part of the initial offer. And if Carson was ridiculously overpriced why did MON agree to that price last August ?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/columnists/reade/

Good one savman 6jwk55l.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Ok, thanks man, you have made your points and defended your club as best you can.

I don't think there is anything new you can add to the debate. We can search back through the thread to find out what your view on the Gareth Barry saga with Liverpool and Villa is.

You are ranting now, abusing Liverpool players, and talking some nonsense.

Can you now please vacate the thread unless you have something new to add, before you piss everyone off completely?

Dude, shirley you can't be serious? I would rather eat my own foot than take anything in The Daily feckin Mirror as a factual basis for an educated discussion. :eek:
    Come back with a real reference ffs.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Knowing the thread I'm in, I didn't expect a "hell yeah" to that ;)

I never once accussed you of inflating Barry's worth.
    I think that most Liverpool players criminally undervalue him.
    Great player.
    Easily worth £15,000,000 +

not you personally i aimed that at, and i hope the rest of Liverpools fans and more importantly your board realise he's worth that and act accordingly, then this pantomine will be over.
    And how can you accuse Liverpool of overpricing Carson, when Villa and MON both agreed to the price a year ago, but are now trying to pay less than they already agreed to?!

Carsons is ****e, MON would be mad to sign him for 10m, personally speaking id be glad if Carson joined Villa, but not for 10m, there are better keepers for that price out there.
    And come on man.
    Crouch and Pennant are decent players.
    Neither fit into Rafas formations so they're being moved on as both require first team football.

Remember you are taking Villas captain, neither Crouch or Pennant would be first teamers at Villa IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Crouch-Villa reject, Pennant-Brum Arsenal & Liverpool reject, Riise - hopeless, Carson - ridiculously overpriced, you accuse me of inflating Barrys worth!

Pennant-actually done quite well for Liverpool. Played in the CL final 12 months ago and had a good game. He is good enough to be a squad player for us and i dont nescessarily want him sold. If he is good enough to be a squad player for us, definately good enough same for Villa.

Crouch-Courted by Juventus and numerous other clubs around Europe. Excellent player. Definately good enough for Aston Villa. Different player than the one who used to play for villa.

Riise-bad couple of years, i dont rate him at all. Many people do. Supposedly on his way to Roma for £5million. If good enough for Roma, obviously good enough for Villa.

Carson-You first choice goalkeeper all year. Fee was agreed at the start of the loan period. If MON doesnt want him now that fair enough but labelling him a nameless player was not very nice of him.

I rate Barry at 12-15 million. Same as i rate Alonso.

Dude, shirley you can't be serious? I would rather eat my own foot than take anything in The Daily feckin Mirror as a factual basis for an educated discussion. :eek:
    Come back with a real reference ffs.

You should read it, it has direct quotes from people in clubs that have expierenced Man U's "dilligent" transfer dealings. Surely you wouldn't dismiss them, since you happily accept what MON says.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

dont disagree with everything Pool fans ae saying but...

1)continuing to quote that Villa agreed to buy Carson for 10m. No we didnt! However Villa did agree to a first option on Carson to the value of 10m should they wish to purchase Carson while at Villa Park. Unfortunatley for Carson/Villa/Liverpools bank balance Carson turned out to be nowhere near as good as people thought (next England no.1) and is prob valued at around 4-5m by Villa now. especially when you consider Villa paid £2m for the year. Villa will now look elsewhere (hopefully) and get someone like Jussi/Jens Lehmann (free both) with Guzan (USA) coming in as no.2/future no.1

2) for a few weeks now MON's "mish mash of nameless players" comment has been refered to here in a negative light saying that he was refering to his current No.1 keeper as "nameless". Prehaps he just didnt want to name these players out of respect to their club or didnt name them as (and this has been suggested previously) the player exchange bid was a sort of 2 out of 3bid and therefore he couldent name who was actually involved in the bid. I doubt he was putting down his own keeper before the last game of the season and I also doubt Carson took it that.

also apart from prehaps Pennant I dont want Villa to sign any of the players proposed in this exchange talk i.e Riise, Crouch or Carson (let Newcastle have the first 2 and West Brom carson on loan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Ok moving on.....

Newcastle are in the hunt to sign Argentine star Pablo Aimar after his club Real Zaragoza put him up for sale for £6.5m. (Daily Mirror)

£6.5m for Aimar, about what we would get for Pennant.
    Anyone like to see him join the club?
    Think he could do a job, a better version of Luis Garcia.
    West Brom want to take Liverpool goalkeeper Scott Carson on loan after Aston Villa were put off making a £6m move. (Daily Mirror)

Looking like Carsons value is falling with every passing day.
    Any extra money we may get from the Alonso now looks to be offset by Carsons dwindling value.
    At this rate it is probably going to be worth keeping him as #2 as it wouldnt be worth selling him for small money

****ing love if Aimar joined.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Pennant-actually done quite well for Liverpool. Played in the CL final 12 months ago and had a good game. He is good enough to be a squad player for us and i dont nescessarily want him sold. If he is good enough to be a squad player for us, definately good enough same for Villa.

Crouch-Courted by Juventus and numerous other clubs around Europe. Excellent player. Definately good enough for Aston Villa. Different player than the one who used to play for villa.

Riise-bad couple of years, i dont rate him at all. Many people do. Supposedly on his way to Roma for £5million. If good enough for Roma, obviously good enough for Villa.

Carson-You first choice goalkeeper all year. Fee was agreed at the start of the loan period. If MON doesnt want him now that fair enough but labelling him a nameless player was not very nice of him.

I rate Barry at 12-15 million. Same as i rate Alonso.

how condescending. They may all be 'good enough for Villa' in the Liverpools fans eye, but evidently MON doesnt agree.

spockety wrote: »
    Ok, thanks man, you have made your points and defended your club as best you can.

I don't think there is anything new you can add to the debate. We can search back through the thread to find out what your view on the Gareth Barry saga with Liverpool and Villa is.

You are ranting now, abusing Liverpool players, and talking some nonsense.

Can you now please vacate the thread unless you have something new to add, before you piss everyone off completely?

back seat modding ftw!:pac:

• Advertisement

Carsons is ****e, MON would be mad to sign him for 10m, personally speaking id be glad if Carson joined Villa, but not for 10m, there are better keepers for that price out there.

So you're calling MON mad then, seing as he already agreed to sign him for £10,000,000!

Well done!

Remember you are taking Villas captain, neither Crouch or Pennant would be first teamers at Villa IMO.

Yeah, you're just really not worth arguing with are you!

Bye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Do Villa fans really not think that Crouch would be a starter at the club ? Lunacy.

Tusky wrote: »
    Do Villa fans really not think that Crouch would be a starter at the club ? Lunacy.

id prefer Carew and cant see the two starting together so despite the fact that I think he is now a better player than when he failed at Villa Park previously no i dont want Crouch as I dont want Riise or Carson. Pennant I wouldent mind but there is better out there that should be attainable for Villa (like SWP).

So you're calling MON mad then, seing as he already agreed to sign him for £10,000,000!

Well done!

as I said about 5posts ago
    me wrote:
    )continuing to quote that Villa agreed to buy Carson for 10m. No we didnt! However Villa did agree to a first option on Carson to the value of 10m should they wish to purchase Carson while at Villa Park. Unfortunatley for Carson/Villa/Liverpools bank balance Carson turned out to be nowhere near as good as people thought (next England no.1) and is prob valued at around 4-5m by Villa now. especially when you consider Villa paid £2m for the year. Villa will now look elsewhere (hopefully) and get someone like Jussi/Jens Lehmann (free both) with Guzan (USA) coming in as no.2/future no.1

Well done!.

Yep im calling MON mad thats it thats the jist of what im saying.:p

Yeah, you're just really not worth arguing with are you!

Bye.

:rolleyes:

Tusky wrote: »

i cant see Crouch doing better then Carew, and i doubt Nacho boy is going to join Villa without being given assurances that he will be a 1st teamer.

Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso is set for contract talks with Juventus today.

The Daily Mail says Xabi's agent will hold talks with Juventus today to seal a £13.5million move.

His representative Inaki Ibanez is expected to hammer out the terms of a five-year deal.

The Spain midfielder, who was settled in Liverpool, had hoped for an offer from his native country but only Barcelona and Real Madrid can afford him.

Very very cheap, £13.5m would be a steal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

i cant see Crouch doing better then Carew, and i doubt Nacho boy is going to join Villa without being given assurances that he will be a 1st teamer.

A proven premiership, champions league and international goalscorer vs Carew who managed 13 goals this season. Crouch would get 20+ goals for Villa if he played regularly with Young putting crosses straight on to his head.

Actually fúck it, we should keep Crouch and try and take Young off Villa too.

Melion wrote: »
    A proven premiership, champions league and international goalscorer vs Carew who managed 13 goals this season. Crouch would get 20+ goals for Villa if he played regularly with Young putting crosses straight on to his head.

Crouch isnt the worlds best header though infact id say Carew is better.

• Advertisement

Actually fúck it, we should keep Crouch and try and take Young off Villa too.

If i was a Liverpool fan id say that too "we should keep Alonso anfd try or Young instead of Barry" but Ashley is not going anywhere.

If i was a Liverpool fan id say that too "we should keep Alonso anfd try or Young instead of Barry" but Ashley is not going anywhere.

Would be a much better piece of business for us IMO. Bar any Liverpool players, Young is my favourite player to watch in England. I honestly think he wouldnt look out of place playing alongside the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Kaka, Torres, Stevie ( ;) )

Would be a much better piece of business for us IMO. Bar any Liverpool players, Young is my favourite player to watch in England. I honestly think he wouldnt look out of place playing alongside the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Kaka, Torres, Stevie ( ;) )

still a bit early to have him along side those players (except maybe Stevie;)) but he is quality for sure and can only get better especially when you consider that Villa essentially had no right flank last year and every decent defence knew that everything was coming through Young and kept very close tabs on him, often man marking him. I fear that this time next year we might be in another Barry esque saga with someone trying to rob Young from us and Liverpool wont be the only ones interested.

Ha Ha Ha....this has to be a pisstake?

http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=506917

as I said about 5posts
    me wrote:
    )continuing to quote that Villa agreed to buy Carson for 10m. No we didnt! However Villa did agree to a first option on Carson to the value of 10m should they wish to purchase Carson while at Villa Park. Unfortunatley for Carson/Villa/Liverpools bank balance Carson turned out to be nowhere near as good as people thought (next England no.1) and is prob valued at around 4-5m by Villa now. especially when you consider Villa paid £2m for the year. Villa will now look elsewhere (hopefully) and get someone like Jussi/Jens Lehmann (free both) with Guzan (USA) coming in as no.2/future no.1

Sorry there BH.
    I forgot that you obviously know ore than Rafa, and are a much more reliable source!
    Rafa wrote:
    “It is a matter between the clubs,” he said. “We agreed the fee with Aston Villa last year.

“The fee has been there for one season so to talk about the fee now is not correct.

“We agreed with Martin O’Neill and that was the situation.”

Villa agreed first option to buy Carson at £10,000,000.
    They now want to buy him for less than £6,000,000.
    They don't have to buy him if they don't want to, but they can't give out about a valuation, that they already agreed to!!!!!!!!!

still a bit early to have him along side those players (except maybe Stevie;)) but he is quality for sure and can only get better especially when you consider that Villa essentially had no right flank last year and every decent defence knew that everything was coming through Young and kept very close tabs on him, often man marking him. I fear that this time next year we might be in another Barry esque saga with someone trying to rob Young from us and Liverpool wont be the only ones interested.

If young has another season like the one he just had then there will be clubs
    breaking down the villa door for him.
    For me he would be the #1 target if i was Liverpool manager and had a blank cheque book.
    Think he is just outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

lmao - you are full of crap, Crouch is just a villa reject and Gareth Barry is an English Regular and occasional captain?

You are completely deluding yourself, if Barry moves the one reason will be to make himself an England regular. He has 20 caps over the last 8 years while Steven Gerrard (a real regular) has 67 caps over the same period even Peter Crouch has 28 caps over the last 3 years.

why dont you take your baseless trolling elsewhere please?

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BB4CEE8FA%2D9A47%2D47BC%2DB069%2D3F7A2F35DB70%7D&newsid=6610831

Aaron Ramsey has just signed for United.
    Believe Liverpool put in a bid for him.
    Not too disappointed, £5m is risky for a 17yr old who is unproven at a high level.

Mr Alan wrote: »

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Call_me_al wrote: »
    lmao - you are full of crap, Crouch is just a villa reject and Gareth Barry is an English Regular and occasional captain?

You are completely deluding yourself, if Barry moves the one reason will be to make himself an England regular. He has 20 caps over the last 8 years while Steven Gerrard (a real regular) has 67 caps over the same period even Peter Crouch has 28 caps over the last 3 years.

why dont you take your baseless trolling elsewhere please?

Because people keep responding to the stupid and baseless posts.
    Hows about ignoring his posts and hopefully he will stop, hopefully!!!!

Anyone that says Crouch is a bad player and a Villa reject obviously knows
    very very little about football.
    If he wasnt in the last yr of his contract he would be worth about the same
    as Barry for crying out loud.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement