Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Esse85 wrote: »
    Massive difference between 14 and 40.

Owen is world class, Crouch isnt.

There's also a massive difference between Crouches 28 caps, and Owens 89.
    In fact, it's a bigger difference!!!!

Crouch has a better games to goals ratio.

Edit: Yeah, see someone (or three) got there first!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Crouch will never play 89 games for england:rolleyes:

Neither will Barry ;)
    Got any more hairs you would like to split ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Crouch will never play 89 games for england:rolleyes:

Good call. Crouchy makes his debut for England aged 24/25, Mickey Owen is straight in there from age 18. A good head start there. Maybe that makes him no good the fact that he was so late to be capped? Or maybe he had to wait til he was with a big club (Southampton!)

(I should really know better than to make a statement like that, sorry couldnt resist!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

IrishMike wrote: »
    Ashley is not far off of it though.
    For me he is the best winger in the league except for that rodent features
    and his 40 goals.

i really rate ashely young and he probably was the seoncd best winger in the PL last year but he is nowhere near world class, maybe in 2/3 years time with some CL experience and when actually plays well for England then he would have a case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Villa arent after crouch as far as anyone knows (although he was supposidly offered in part exchange in one of the turned down bids according to paper talk) so this conversation is relativley moot. although portsmouth as Esse85 said are interested
    Esse85 wrote:
    Because he had a successful spell at Pompey before, Harry Redknappy said he'd like to sign him, Defoe said he'd like to play along side him and because he'd be first choice there.

anyone else really looking forward to Euro 08 just so we can have something to distract us from all this nonsense? actually is that Soccer beers thing still happening during it? we could get a lil Aston Villa table beside the massive cluster fup of Pool tables and endlessly shout statistics about Crouch, Barry & Carson at each other it'd be great crack.

anyone else really looking forward to Euro 08 just so we can have something to distract us from all this nonsense? actually is that Soccer beers thing still happening during it? we could get a lil Aston Villa table beside the massive cluster fup of Pool tables and endlessly shout statistics about Crouch, Barry & Carson at each other it'd be great crack.
    Haha...yeah totally. Bring on the Rugby at 8 sat morn and the footy in the afternoon.

Incidently, does anyone know what the oldest player to make an international debut was? I dont, im just throwing it out there, might lead to some good discussion!

Villa arent after crouch as far as anyone knows (although he was supposidly offered in part exchange in one of the turned down bids according to paper talk) so this conversation is relativley moot. although portsmouth as Esse85 said are interested

Ill be the one with Crouchs international goalscoring record tatooed onto my left ear!!!
    :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

gucci wrote: »
    Haha...yeah totally. Bring on the Rugby at 8 sat morn and the footy in the afternoon.

Incidently, does anyone know what the oldest player to make an international debut was? I dont, im just throwing it out there, might lead to some good discussion!

Rugby? What is this.......rugby you speak of??

Ireland vs New Zealand 1st test saturday morning (good team selection too see the rugby forum)

• Advertisement

the second bid Cardiff has accepted is confirmed as from Arsenal

monkey9 wrote: »
    Rugby? What is this.......rugby you speak of??

Its supposedly a "sport" :)
    I admit to being a fan, but il watch anything at this stage im suffering from withdrawal from Footy!

gucci wrote: »

It'll be me.
    (I still hold out hope!!!!:D)

It'll be me.
    (I still hold out hope!!!!:D)

Yeah theres no age limit on the tiddley winks team as far as i know :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Why would Barry want to join the pool as Villa will finish above them next season. This season Rafa got Torres who came and scored a load of goals but didn't even manage to improve there league position in fact they went backwards! The owners don't even speak to each other. They need to sell some of ther best players to fund his transfer. He would be crazy to join them, if he is going anywhere he should hold out for a bigger club.

tomred1 wrote: »
    Why would Barry want to join the pool as Villa will finish above them next season. This season Rafa got Torres who came and scored a load of goals but didn't even manage to improve there league position in fact they went backwards! The owners don't even speak to each other. They need to sell some of ther best players to fund his transfer. He would be crazy to join them, if he is going anywhere he should hold out for a bigger club.

we finished 8 points ahead of our 2006/2007 points total, so unless you have something accurate or worthwhile to say gtfo.

• Advertisement

Good post which was well constructed and full of valid points....

Troll.jpg

Back under whatever rock you crawled out from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Crouch isnt the worlds best header though infact id say Carew is better.

crouch is the worst headerer of a ball per foot in height that the world has ever seen!!! oh he's so bad at headering a ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Man I love this thread :)

It's like 'Villas Got Talent' and the fans somehow get a vote on what player we'll buy

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Thanks for your amazing contribution.

Sweet Jesus!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

you're like.....so right!

Everyone knows Liverpool are shhhhoite! Rafa is so clueless!

do people not know Man Utd are the biggest and bestest club in the world ever! they've won almost everything since football was invented in the early ninties!

its like so friggin obvious! they just won the double and Ronaldo is sooooo much better than zidane and pele combined.

Barry should go to Utd so he can play with "the viper", wazza, wes brown and the boyas.

this thread really is going to the dogs today :(

zAbbo wrote: »
    Man I love this thread :)

my ignore list is getting very long!

Cant access Youtube, so cant post the video but they lyrics will have to do:

"Over and over and over and over and over
    Like a monkey with a miniature cymbal
    The joy of repetition really is in you
    Under and under and under and under and under
    The smell of repetition really is on you
    And when I feel this way I really am with you"

Call_me_al wrote: »
    we finished 8 points ahead of our 2006/2007 points total, so unless you have something accurate or worthwhile to say gtfo.

But the "pool" only finished 4th compared to 3rd the season before.

Tom seriously quit while you are ahead.
    United got 2 points less than they did last year, maybe they should sack the manager as thats obviously not progress.

Yeah, but closer to the top on points

Tom seriously quit while you are ahead.
    United got 2 points less than they did last year, maybe they should sack the manager as thats obviously not progress.

Who talking about Utd! I'm just stating reasons why i feel Barry would be crazy to go to the Pool,as they are going backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Jesus wept! So many rebuttals to that but I think I'll settle for this:
    Call_me_al wrote:
    my ignore list is getting very long!
    :)

tom. the pool are not going backwards but right now id be willing to bet alot of money with you that villa will go backwards next season. in terms of points on the board and league position!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

6 points more this season than last is going backwards?

• Advertisement

Who talking about Utd! I'm just stating reasons why i feel Barry would be crazy to go to the Pool,as they are going backwards.

Liverpool are the most successful team in the CL over the past 5 years.
    Barry has never played in the CL and more than likely wont if he stays at Villa.
    What other reason would he possibly need?
    The chance to play alongside players like Gerrard and Torres may also be a
    small bit of an incentive too dont you think :rolleyes:
    The extra 20k he will pick up might also turn his head.
    Villa are not able to compete with what Liverpool can offer.
    Stop deluding yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

course they are ;)

sure i fancy us to get relegated next season!

Tom, im gonna give you an offer. Since your certain pool are going backwards, ill place a wager with you. Ill give you 2-1 odds on pool finishing outside the top 4 next season. Any size bet you want! The bigger the better imo. So, put your money where your mouth is, take the bet or gtfo

why did so many people respond to him? was his post worth responding to? I hope Barry stays at Villa & I think what he wrote was bollocks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Lads just ignore this poster, he appears to be a united fan yet he is in a liverpool thread. They are obviously wondering what its like to support a real club, or go to a game and experience an atmosphere

How many liverpool fans on here actually look at the united thread, how many of us actually care about united.

On the transfer talk:

kewell going is great news,
    im not convinced that we need barry, id prefer to go for quaresma - he has stated that he wants to leave porto.
    then try and steal david villa before the euros begin.

oh.and we are all supporting spain in the euro's right!!

AdrianII wrote: »
    How many liverpool fans on here actually look at the united thread

No way man! only a real loser would do that :cool:

Of course! Viva Espana

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

YEHH GOO MASCHERANOOOOO!! ...ehh ;)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    No way man! only a real loser would do that :cool:

Very true.
    Torres would weep if he thought for a second any true Liverpool fan would do such a thing ;)

• Advertisement

Very true.
    Torres would weep if he thought for a second any true Liverpool fan would do such a thing ;)

Cruel!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

To change the subject a bit and talk about Villa instead of Villa ;) - here's an update from ShanksLegend on RAWK on what he's heard in relation to David Villa.
    I wasn't gonna post this but **** it, all I know is that when i ask a contact before about Barry he told me that Villa is still the top target. Basically the yanks see him as a Torres type investment that would hopefully sell the club more commercially.

At the end of the day did you think this time last year we would sign Torres, well we will see what happens with Villa. Lets get things straight he wants to come here and Rafa wants him, the club knows this and i know for defo they have inquired about his price with a bid, which Valencia did not like the terms.

Back to the drawing board, but here's hoping or do we really have to hope lets see, i vote for the later?
    Those who read RAWK will know him as a very credible source but no - he's not always right so don't take everything he says as being 100% accurate.

Melion wrote: »
    6 points more this season than last is going backwards?

Villa and Torres up front would be a lethal combination for Liverpool, plus Villa has played much of this season in a WF role as far as i know so could also slot into Liverpools current formation as a Kuyt replacement who then could be rotated as backup for RWF and CF (with Nemeth).

would be this Summers dream signing (Torres) for Pool fans IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Villa is one of the best strikers in the world and I would love him at Liverpool BUT I dont see how he fits in.

Torres

Babel
    Gerrard
    Villa

or

Torres

Babel
    Villa
    Gerrard

or

Torres---Villa

Babel----Barry--Masch---Gerrard

Hmmm

all of the above look sweet to me Tusky!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Tusky - that'd a very nice kind of problem to have though wouldn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mr Alan wrote: »
    all of the above look sweet to me Tusky!!!!!!!!

Suppose it would depend how happy Gerrard or Villa are to play out wide. Problem is, we dont have the wingers to play 4-4-2 and we we only need one striker in 4-2-3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I could see him and Torres switching during games to mess with defenders heads. We know Torres can go out wide, go past players and put in a good ball....now if we had another top class player in the centre to get on the end of them.

Tusky wrote: »
    Suppose it would depend how happy Gerrard or Villa are to play out wide. Problem is, we dont have the wingers to play 4-4-2 and we we only need one striker in 4-2-3-1.

i wonder if Capello told him he wanted to play out wide for england would he be more willing to do it with us. he did well out left against USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

do they play well together though?

i thought they are both quite similar and am not too sure how they would play.

will see more at euro 2008 im sure though

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement