Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well its unfortunate, but Rafa is almost immune to sentiment (even Fowlers return was free and served a purpose), he has made a decision and thats that. Alonso at least knows at one player at Juve (maybe more) and can re-establish himself with Momo Sissoko.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

staker wrote: »
    any1 feel bad for alonso?? i think rafa undermined him constantly with his rotation policy. i know he was injured this season, was available for a lot of games but never got a look?

thing about Crouch is - at the start of last season he underwhelmed anytime he played unless it was as an impact sub, and now that we have found a system that seems to work (1 up with 3 behind) he's obviously going to have to play second fiddle to Torres. If he's not willing then fair enough he can leave. But not for less than 10m.

I think Villa would be a great signing at anything under 20m. He could play up on his own, or in any of the positions behind Torres. Also gives us a good 442 option. I think Zarate would be a great alternative though.

Eh? :p

Mike.

I'm genuinely starting to get excited at the prospect of at least one world class addition this summer. We'll be generating so much from sales - around 50 million probably (Alonso 17, Crouch 10, Riise 5, Carson 6, Pennant 6, Finnan 2, Guthrie 2, Voronin 2). Plus we're likely (though not guaranteed) to get 15-20 from the board, based on our euro run and tv deals. That could give us up to 70 mill to spend. Assuming Barry and Dossena come for 14 and 7 million respectively, we should still have in the region of 45-50 million left.

To spend on:
    Right/Left Winger - First Choice - someone like Silva, Quaresma, Bentley. Even Kranjcar would be good imo and maybe slightly cheaper.(15-20)

Striker - Will we buy back up to Torres and retain our current formation or a top class strike partner? My hope would be for someone versatile like Villa who can play up on his own when Torres is resting or injured, can play with Torres in a 442 or can play in one of the 3 behind Torres in our current formation. Obviously we'd always find room in the team for someone of his class.

Winger/Forward - someone to cover both roles. My preference here would be Zarate at 10m or so.

Get those 3 signings right and we can challenge next season, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It'll be a shame to see Alonso go, but the quoted price is good value for us and we can hopefully improve the squad. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for him and Momo at Juve - hopefully they can get one over on Maureen's Inter next year! ;)

Apparently tomorrow's fish-wrappers are speculating that Kuyt has been offered as a makeweight to Villa for Barry. I wouldn't be keen on Kuyt leaving to be honest - for all his criticism, his end-of-season form was fantastic, he scores some important goals and he defends from the front.

If we really are offering him to Villa, surely it increases the likelihood of a new striker/wing-forward being brought in though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Alonso was my favourite player, but really hasn't done enough to deserve a starting place, and if an player is worth 17m - it's pointless leaving him on the bench when that money could be used for another starter in a different position.

Harsh, possibly - our problem in the past was keeping players who weren't performing , I can't remember the last time we sold a player for a decent profit.

//Edit

Just to add, We need to keep a 2 striker option - certainly against some of the 'park the bus' clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Dont want Kuyt to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Apparently tomorrow's fish-wrappers are speculating that Kuyt has been offered as a makeweight to Villa for Barry.

I'm sure all the Villa fans will love that one :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Dont want Kuyt to go.

Ether do I,he has growing on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

if kuyt is being offered around it leads me to believe there is definitely a big name RW in the works. we just need Crouch, Alonso, Pennant and Riise to tie up deals to go and we should see some more movement on the players coming in.

it'll be sad to see the four players go as i think they have been great servants to the club, barring Riise's last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I dont think as many players will be sold as some people believe. I really cant see Carson, Riise, Finnan, Kewell, Pennant, Kuyt, Crouch, Alonso & Voronin all leaving. Thats 9 players!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Kuyt wont be sold, we wont get enough money for him as he is not a traditional winger
    and doesnt score enough goals to be considered a striker.
    He basically has a position of his own at Liverpool

As for Alonso, dont think he was impacted by Rafas rotation policy.
    He was basically first choice when fit until he lost his form.
    Whether thats due to the system or not playing in the same exact role as he did when
    Gerrard played wide right but the new system doesnt suit him.
    If we are being offered the money being said (£17m) then its very very hard to turn it down.
    Barry may not be of the same quality in vision and passing terms, but he will probably
    play better in the position than Alonso has over the past 2 years.
    Plus their is his recent injury streak that has to be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

I wouldn't like to see Kuyt going. He's still more than good enough to have as support in the squad. He's more than good enough for regular off the bench appearances as a wing or to a lesser extent a striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Dub13 wrote: »
    Ether do I,he has growing on me.
    There is a cream for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

zAbbo wrote: »
    Harsh, possibly - our problem in the past was keeping players who weren't performing , I can't remember the last time we sold a player for a decent profit.

Momo.

Bought for £5,000,00 ish.
    Sold for £9,000,000 ish.

A rare event, though a decent return was got from Bellamy too I think.

Mike.

Carson should make a good profit also.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

guys, any1 have the site bookmarked where they have the footie kits for 22 euro? cba searching back through the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

A certain MR Owen also generated us a profit!!

ppl seem to be forgetting that Babel is more than capable of playin in all 4 of the attacking positions in the new system we are playing. to be honest i really like him playin up front on his own. he is so direct. of course torres is untouchable there and my one hope this season is that rafa does not 'rest' players for the second half of the season like he did last season. he was right that we would have a strong finish but we were simply too far behind...

I've just been informed by a pretty excellent source that we definately are not in for David Villa :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

dardoz wrote: »
    guys, any1 have the site bookmarked where they have the footie kits for 22 euro? cba searching back through the thread

Think its on page 20 or so?
    http://www.jomzajung.com/cart/default.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I've just been informed by a pretty excellent source that we definately are not in for David Villa :(

From the bbc gossip page:
    Arsenal and Tottenham will do battle over Valencia striker David Villa, who has been made available for around £17m. (Daily Telegraph)

Porto are not allowed into the Champions League:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7435898.stm

Anyone there we could tempt over to anfield?
    Edit: Quaresma???
    List of players: http://www.fcporto.pt/English/football_players.asp...
    One of their forwards has scored 24 goals in 27 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

mormank wrote: »
    A certain MR Owen also generated us a profit!!

Owen did not generate us a profit that he should have, he went for an absolute pittance...

Getting 8m for Owen, who joined Newcastle for 16m a year later was a disastrous piece of business, and the blame can lie firmly with Owen.

cant see Villa going to Spurs, he'll need/want Champions League Football

zAbbo wrote: »

Momo.

Bought for £5,000,00 ish.
    Sold for £9,000,000 ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I'd find it somewhat depressing if we're arent linked with Villa especially at that price :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Momo, yeah so 4million or so profit. What wages was he paid in that time though? Doubt ye made much if anything on him. Plus the fact is he probably cost ye a fair few games through his general donkeyness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

believe it or not they are all paid wages, thats why they are called pro fess ion al footballers ;)

kaimera wrote: »
    I'd find it somewhat depressing if we're arent linked with Villa especially at that price :(

We aren't.

Hopefully this Shankslegend fella has gotten his wires crossed and we are actually in for Silva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Read something saying that Bent will be signed from Spurs for 7 million. Also said that we will sign Barry and Bentley in an attempt to bolster the number of English players that are in the squad.

I would have no problem with us signing Bent for that price.

We aren't.

Hopefully this Shankslegend fella has gotten his wires crossed and we are actually in for Silva.

C'mon Alan, you, nor anyone else knows for sure. You cant come out and say we aren't in for someone. Even the best sources on any forums I read are wrong at least half of the time.

Source isnt from a forum, and i trust him 100%.

I want us to be in for Villa as much as anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Read something saying that Bent will be signed from Spurs for 7 million. Also said that we will sign Barry and Bentley in an attempt to bolster the number of English players that are in the squad.

I would have no problem with us signing Bent for that price.

Liverpool have been officially linked with everyone then. :pac:

Boggles wrote: »
    Liverpool have been officially linked with everyone then. :pac:

I'm signing next week.
    Just have to work out the payment structure with my 5 a side team!:D

I want us to be in for Villa as much as anyone.

Well if he is so good, apart from Dossena, who is our next signing ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Momo, yeah so 4million or so profit. What wages was he paid in that time though? Doubt ye made much if anything on him. Plus the fact is he probably cost ye a fair few games through his general donkeyness

donkeyness...only one donkey around here by the looks of your post.:rolleyes:

I'm signing next week.

Ahem!!!

Tusky wrote: »
    Well if he is so good, apart from Dossena, who is our next signing ?

:D

I didnt ask him and I aint going to..... only that Villa came up in conversation and he mentioned that we definately were not in for him.

Believe me if you want, dont if you dont want to!

But remember I am meant to be the optimistic one and you're meant to be the pessimist! ;)

I didnt ask him and I aint going to..... only that Villa came up in conversation and he mentioned that we definately were not in for him.

Believe me if you want, dont if you dont want to!

But remember I am meant to be the optimistic one and you're meant to be the pessimist! ;)

So this guy knows Rafas transfer targets and you can resist asking him ? yeah right!

To be honest, I wouldnt be surprised if we werent in for him. As I said, he doesn fit into our current system. I just dont believe anyone knows anything for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

I'm signing next week.
    Let me be the first to congratulate you. Fair play.

• Advertisement

I'm signing next week.

Have fun at Villa so - or didn't anyone tell you we were going to throw you in as part of the Barry deal :p

LOL :) i love posts that make me actually laugh out loud.

Tusky, PM sent.

I'm signing next week.

will they take a Ukrainian Striker in exchange?

Doesn't change the fact that he/she/it is clearly making things up. I mean i trust my girlfriend 100% (even though she doesn't think Torres is that beautiful), but, given that she isn't Liverpool manager/CEO/owner, her transfer speculations are about as reliable as TribalFootball's.

Unless your source is Rafa, Parry, Gillet, Hicks or someone similar they are unlikely to be doing anything more than guessing.

Doesn't change the fact that he/she/it is clearly making things up. I mean i trust my girlfriend 100% (even though she doesn't think Torres is that beautiful), but, given that she isn't Liverpool manager/CEO/owner, her transfer speculations are about as reliable as TribalFootball's.

Unless your source is Rafa, Parry, Gillet, Hicks or someone similar they are unlikely to be doing anything more than guessing.

thats just not true, if we were in for Villa at the moment there would be a lot more people that would know about it at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Call_me_al wrote: »
    thats just not true, if we were in for Villa at the moment there would be a lot more people that would know about it at this stage.

Mr Alan, for one. Rafa would have been straight on the phone to him if he were gonna sign Villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

monkey9 wrote: »
    Mr Alan, for one. Rafa would have been straight on the phone to him if he were gonna sign Villa

I have no doubt Torres would have mentioned it to him while they spooned.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Gotta love the transfer window. The highs and lows of who we're in for and who we're not in for is almost as good as the highs and lows :( of the actual football season. :pac:

I mean i trust my girlfriend 100% (even though she doesn't think Torres is that beautiful)

Dump her now :cool:

Daemonic wrote: »
    Gotta love the transfer window. The highs and lows of who we're in for and who we're not in for is almost as good as the highs and lows :( of the actual football season. :pac:

If you think it's fun now just wait until the window actually opens

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement