Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

when does the window actually open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

dardoz wrote: »
    when does the window actually open?

july

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lads was there a link today with someone from Man City coming in to take Parry's job at the club or was I dreaming this morning??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Lads was there a link today with someone from Man City coming in to take Parry's job at the club or was I dreaming this morning??

You were not dreaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

There was alright - here's an article from the Telegraph on it.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/06/04/ufnliv104.xml

Remember Hicsk alone doesn't have the power to make such a change. He favoured Ian Ayre when the orig story about him wanting Parry out while Gillet backed Parry. Maybe this guy is a neutral party that both guys would welcome ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Naahhh, not a patch on Nando. The hair does not do it for me ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Tusky wrote: »

Should that not be *Swoon* :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

He'd be a much better No 7 than the player that just vacated the jersey ;) .. id welcome him.

• Advertisement

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Should that not be *Swoon* :p

*swrool* maybe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

monkey9 wrote: »
    Mr Alan, for one. Rafa would have been straight on the phone to him if he were gonna sign Villa
    IrishMike wrote: »
    I have no doubt Torres would have mentioned it to him while they spooned.
    ;)

Surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Why did they use the black eyed peas in that video?
    They suck testicles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I mean i trust my girlfriend 100% (even though she doesn't think Torres is that beautiful)

Just get her to watch this! She'll soon change that poisoned mind of hers!

/Mmmmmmmmmm.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

embed the youtubes lads, cmon we have the technology...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I read somewhere recently that Rafa was going to 'retire' the number 7 jersey next season, because it puts too much pressure on players.

Here's the latest, according to The Internet:

'Arry Redknapp won't pay 15 million for Crouch, but would be interested for 10 million.

Dossena's abandoned wedding preparations to do his medical, and looks set to join for 7 million.

Barry has hinted he wants a move to Liverpool if we can agree a deal with Villa.

Juventus want Xabi, but Liverpool are holding out for a big fee - anything from 15-18 million has been touted.

Roma are rumoured to be bidding for Riise, and we could recoup most of the outlay on Dossena.

We've made an offer for Ramsey, but it doesnt look like it was accepted.

We're also rumoured to be in for Silva, Villa and/or Queresma - none of which will be playing in the Champions League next year, and all are likely to be on the move.

The future's starting to look a bit brighter, no?

• Advertisement

We're also rumoured to be in for Silva, Villa and/or Queresma - none of which will be playing in the Champions League next year, and all are likely to be on the move.

The future's starting to look a bit brighter, no?

Link to story linking us to Villa, Queresma or Silva please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Link to story linking us to Villa, Queresma or Silva please.

You haven't read any of the rumours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

zAbbo wrote: »
    Owen did not generate us a profit that he should have, he went for an absolute pittance...

Getting 8m for Owen, who joined Newcastle for 16m a year later was a disastrous piece of business, and the blame can lie firmly with Owen.

true. and i would never take him back at the pool now. that ship has firmly sailed!!

Queresma is being linked but nothing strong e.g.
    http://www.footballingworld.com/2008/06/04/focused-quaresma-ready-for-a-second-stab-at-the-big-time/

As for Ramsey the Daily Mail reckon we have met the asking price
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1024105/Everton-Liverpool-given-permission-talk-Cardiff-whizzkid-Ramsey.html?ITO=1490

I'd love to have more than just hearsay on Villa and don't even have that to offer on Silva

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Update on Alonso
    Juventus have agreed terms with Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso but have to agree a fee with the Reds, who want £16m compared to the Italian club's £14.5m offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I read somewhere recently that Rafa was going to 'retire' the number 7 jersey next season, because it puts too much pressure on players.
    Ah jesus, nearly anyone they could bring in would be a success compared to Harry!!
    Why dont we give it to Vronin, frees up the No.10 then :) Would be a nice to see Babel in the No.10 then, could inspire him to be like John Barnes!!

(Dont mind me, continue on the thread while i day dream here!)

gucci wrote: »
    Ah jesus, nearly anyone they could bring in would be a success compared to Harry!!
    Why dont we give it to Vronin, frees up the No.10 then :) Would be a nice to see Babel in the No.10 then, could inspire him to be like John Barnes!!

(Dont mind me, continue on the thread while i day dream here!)

Would be even nicer to see Villa in the no. 7 shirt

No way I can see them retiring any shirt number

So Barry may not have scored his first international goal against T&T after all ?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7437052.stm

How silly that would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

least it would knock a couple of million off his price! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Steady on the Villans will be in here pronto to point out that Barrys first international goal was rendered null and void while a Villa Park employee.

Regarding Alonso I think we can safetly say he's gone - Liverpool and Juve won't fall out over the odd million.

Torres terrorises Prem defenders
    Liverpool striker Fernando Torres believes Chelsea's Ricardo Carvalho is the best of a bad bunch among defenders in the Barclays Premier League.

Torres insists defenders' reliance on brawn over brain has made his life in England easier than expected.

The 24-year-old found the net 24 times in the top flight in 2007-08 - the most successful debut season ever by foreigner in goalscoring terms.

And he insists he met his toughest opponent in Chelsea's Portuguese centre-half, who he rates above Carvalho's Blues team-mate and England captaincy candidate John Terry.

"Terry is captain so gets a much higher profile. But he's only secondary to Carvalho," Torres told The Sun.

"Ricky is superb. He has every quality that is needed."

Torres added: "The central defenders (in the Premier League) are usually big, strong, aggressive lads.

"I guess it is probably because of these characteristics that the majority think they can solve problems by getting tough with me.

"But the truth is most of them lack defensive positioning as a result of their reliance on strength and aggression and leave so much space for you to take advantage of."

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Steady on the Villans will be in here pronto to point out that Barrys first international goal was rendered null and void while a Villa Park employee.

Maybe this is just another part in the media campaign LFC have supposedly been conducting to turn Barrys head ? :rolleyes:

zing wrote: »
    Maybe this is just another part in the media campaign LFC have supposedly been conducting to turn Barrys head ? :rolleyes:

Did you not hear that Mr Alan actually writes for the Liverpool Echo?
    Damn rumourmonger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

before any smartarses point it out.....Torres did not speak to The S*n.

and i wish i worked for the Echo, my job is wrecking my head today.

The man behind Torres success
    We've a Spanish goalkeeping coach and he has been a genius at telling me every week exactly what kind of task lies in front of me in the following match

Nobody has ever worked with me like this before. It's outstanding. Basically, I know days before the next game exactly the best way to finish a chance against the keeper I'm about to face.

Xavi Valero tells me precisely what each keeper tends to do - stay big, go down early, if they have a preferred side they try to push you to. It's vital information. I've refined the way I take chances as a result.
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160130080605-1039.htm

Pretty badass in fairness.
    Just shows that a lot of his finishes are not instinctive but are calculated.
    Amazing player

• Advertisement

No offer for Ramsey after all - basically money can be better spent elsewhere right now.

Roma have made an offer for Riise but it falls short of the asking price

Everything else in here we've seen before.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/06/05/liverpool-go-cool-on-aaron-ramsey-100252-21027735/

You haven't read any of the rumours?

Ive heard people talking about it on forums but there has never been a proper link to any of those three. Well not this summer anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I've been saying Carvalho is better than terry for years....glad someone cool now finally agrees with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Torres is some legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3653495,00.html

Thiago Silva, another defender. I didn't know that we were in for him. We will probably end this chase now though.

I would imagine there are 3 signings left in us...
    barry.
    quaresma or silva or bentley(might head to citeh with hughes)
    another forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3653495,00.html

Thiago Silva, another defender. I didn't know that we were in for him. We will probably end this chase now though.

I said a few months ago that the difference between us and the other 3 was anything between 10 and 15 goals a season. This difference could either be made up by us scoring the goals or just not conceeding them.

One thing that you can be certain about though is that we conceeded too many sloppy goals last season - bad mistakes, own goals and penalties.

Shoring up the defence like he seems to be doing will hopefully cut that 10 to 15 goal difference in half. What that leaves us in need of is a right winger that can be directly involved in a handful of goals and someone like Barry signed for the midfield who will, unlike Alonso in recent seasons, contribute a handful or two of goals throughout the season.

All of a sudden, we could see ourselves in a position whereby we could be considered genuine contenders while realistically still being a world class player or two away from winning it.

I said a few months ago that the difference between us and the other 3 was anything between 10 and 15 goals a season. This difference could either be made up by us scoring the goals or just not conceeding them.

meh... more often than not the problem has resulted from a failure to keep possession. I think width is the issue, ye havn't got it. Pennant's the only proper wide player you have, but he isn't up the to standard. ye end up trying to essentially break down the spine of the team which is always difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

meh... more often than not the problem has resulted from a failure to keep possession. I think width is the issue, ye havn't got it. Pennant's the only proper wide player you have, but he isn't up the to standard. ye end up trying to essentially break down the spine of the team which is always difficult.

Meh eh.. Good way to set the tone alright..

Thats why I made the point about strenghtening our defence in order to take a chunk of 5, 6 or 7 goals out of our total conceeded for the season.

No one can dispute that one of Rafa's strongest attributes is the organisation of the defence. Quality defensive players are generally alot cheaper than quality attacking attacking players. He seems to be making a conscious effort to shore up the defence whereas most fans expected the majority of our money to be spent on offensive players.

Those 5, 6 or 7 goals can make the difference between 5, 6 or 7 games that were drawn last season being wins. That could be a difference of up to 14 points over the course of a season. This is perfectly conceivable as we conceeded an abnormal amount of soft goals last season and had quite a few injury porblems.

Add another 5, 6 or 7 goals from wide and midfield players and all of a sudden you are talking about a dramatically improved season. Naturally, these will be alot harder to come by but Babel should be more effective now that he has a season under his belt, Barry will certainly contribute more goals than Alonso did (assuming he is signed) and there is still the possibility another world class striker or winger being added.

Finally, for once we do not have to worry about the likes of Gerard being poached by Chelsea or the likes. Previous seasons always seem anything up to 10 players leaving and arriving whereas this season should see some deadwood being sold and being replace by 3 or 4 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Napoli have rejected a bid of €28 million for Marek Hamsik (http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=724808). We were linked with Hamsik a few weeks ago, but I'm pretty sure Rafa isn't going to spend €28 million + on him!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well that is bad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

NON-BELIEVER !!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Wassup?

Mike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

zing wrote: »

not a quote in sight, not that I think Barry will be at VP next season at this stage but I do think we will get more from you (liverpool). Although, unlike some others i only expect it to be around 15m (or something like 10/13+mil & Pennant/Finnan), i know thats not much more than suggested but think 15 is the mark where Villa might start to cave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

im surprised Finnan hasn't been mentioned more as part of this deal since we got degen in. Would be absolutely perfect for Villa. They really need 2 RB's since Olof is gone. Could see Finnan still giving at least 1 great year as first choice and then another 2 or so as backup.

If i was a Villa fan i'd be happy with 8mill + Finnan + Pennant which is about 16mill value. Solves 2 problem positions to a reasonably decent standard and leaves enough cash to get a good midfielder to replace barry (sidwell perhaps).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I hope we get Barry, but honestly, £15m for him is an absolute joke! It really is. Why someone's value is doubled just because they're English is beyond me.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    If i was a Villa fan i'd be happy with 8mill + Finnan + Pennant which is about 16mill value. Solves 2 problem positions to a reasonably decent standard and leaves enough cash to get a good midfielder to replace barry (sidwell perhaps).

has this been specifically mentioned anywhere? because that could make a lot of sense for both parties. I think as long as Finnan doesn't have to compete on four fronts like at Pool there could well be another 2 or 3 years of him at a top level, a la Irwin. he's never been overly pacy or technical, just solid.

has this been specifically mentioned anywhere? because that could make a lot of sense for both parties. I think as long as Finnan doesn't have to compete on four fronts like at Pool there could well be another 2 or 3 years of him at a top level, a la Irwin. he's never been overly pacy or technical, just solid.

not seen it specifically, besides the "unnamed players plus cash" deal, but as you said it simply makes sense. Both are obviously surplus to requirements at pool and would fit in with villa's team nicely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Would really like to see Finnan at VP if im honest as long as another right back came in (unless Gardner is actually turned into a RB), Stearman (Leicster/EnglandU-21) has been suggested. A young right back who could learn from and eventually replace the solid Finnan who has a number of years left in him at a top half prem club. regular football would be a plus for Steve and for Ireland too if he is to return.

Pennant on the other hand, id be less keen on although he would fill a needed position and most likely do a good job. only reason id be less keen though is im hopeing more so for SWP. Pennant and Finnan would be the only two of the suggested trades id like at VP though and definatley the two that would fit the bill for what is needed there too.

after how long this Saga has gone on and how almost enevitable Barrys departure now is/seems I would believe most Villa fans would be v.happy with the above suggested £8m & Finnan+Pennant. especially as like youve said that could be a RB, RM and Sidwell all financed from the one deal with even a few million left over (nowhere have i seen Sidwell quoted at as much as £8m)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Have to say, i think Pennant would do really really well for Villa. Would have his work cut out though, i'd imagine to win over the Villa fans after his Birmingham City years

Would really like to see Finnan at VP if im honest as long as another right back came in (unless Gardner is actually turned into a RB), Stearman (Leicster/EnglandU-21) has been suggested. A young right back who could learn from and eventually replace the solid Finnan who has a number of years left in him at a top half prem club. regular football would be a plus for Steve and for Ireland too if he is to return.

Pennant on the other hand, id be less keen on although he would fill a needed position and most likely do a good job. only reason id be less keen though is im hopeing more so for SWP. Pennant and Finnan would be the only two of the suggested trades id like at VP though and definatley the two that would fit the bill for what is needed there too.

after how long this Saga has gone on and how almost enevitable Barrys departure now is/seems I would believe most Villa fans would be v.happy with the above suggested £8m & Finnan+Pennant. especially as like youve said that could be a RB, RM and Sidwell all financed from the one deal with even a few million left over (nowhere have i seen Sidwell quoted at as much as £8m)

Pool could even sweeten the deal by offering Stephen Darby as the backup RB on loan for a year. Very highly rated very solid player who captained the reserves this year and the youth winning team beforehand.

Rick Parry - i want your job!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement