Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Another link to Quaresma.

http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagenews.asp?newsid=185971
    Liverpool Football Club are lining up a £15million bid for Ricardo Quaresma.

The player has also been linked with a move to Jose Mourinho’s Inter Milan in recent weeks, but the press in Portugal have placed Liverpool as the concrete favourites to land the Euro 2008 star.

I like how they say "euro 2008 star" as though he's actually done something there, rather then just a portugese star about to play at euro 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

~Rebel~ wrote: »

sounds like tabloid talk tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Pool could even sweeten the deal by offering Stephen Darby as the backup RB on loan for a year. Very highly rated very solid player who captained the reserves this year and the youth winning team beforehand.

Rick Parry - i want your job!

You've got my vote for the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

£14m for Barry is on the high side of what he's worth imo. Would think Finnan could be of interest to Villa. Would much prefer paying say £11m to £12m cash plus Finnan rather than £14m cash, as it seems that we are shortish on liquid cash at the moment, esp given I think we probably have enough cover for Finnan's postion now. I vaguely remember Finnan to Fulham rumours from a while back - Any indication as to what the value was?

That article from the Mail definately sounded realisticly plausible in terms of the other transfer deals, especially with the fact that Rafa is having to juggle things around to finance his dealings.

Fingers and toes crossed this is a case of playing things close to the chest and letting other clubs think there is not a big pot of money for them to get their hands on when Liverpool show an interest. If this is the policy then it would also make sense to sort out the cheaper filled positions first and then announcing any bigger signings later. Imagine a situation where we put in a £15m bid for say Villa in two weeks, after signing Barry for £14m ish. We can then say to Valencia "look we don't have any more cash left. We've paid out £21m already this month." Then revise the offer upwards to £18m "saying we've scraped up everything to afford this" Then maybe go to £20m saying "we had to sell little Timmy's bike to afford this" In other words, stop a situation where we put in a bid for £15m and Valencia say something like "he can leave if we get £30m" Figures quoted, Villa and TImmy's bike used mainly as illustrative examples.

Also not pleased to be linked with Muntari from Portsmouth - don't rate him really. Would think it's a case of Harry trying to move someone on. Would be wary of dealing with Harry especially with a player transfer deal. Wasn't there a story about Harry being under pressure with regard to the wage bill at Portsmouth. I'd assume there are quite a number of players on tasty money esp for a club of their size.

If Roma do offer £5m for JAR, hopefully we'll snap their hand off for it. Any chance someone can lock Parry in a cellar for a couple of months, so he can't bllx this one up?

Can understand the lack of offers for Pennant - for such a youngish player he's been around a long time and has failed to live up to massive intital hype -don't think he would have a very good reputation - I think the best change of moving him on could be as part of a player swap. Don't think there's any chance MON/Villa might want him? Don't think he was one of the mish-mash players, or am i wrong?

Also very not pleased to be linked with James Milner. No no no no. Think it would be an utter waste of time. A Newcastle reject - fu.ck off, fu.ck right off.

Also whisper it - Torres missed a great chance against the Yanks in a friendly for Spain apparently. Was meant to be carrying a mild knock. Sounded like Spain made hard work of beating the Yanks. Ended up 1-0 to the Spanish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Any chance someone can lock Parry in a cellar for a couple of months, so he can't bllx this one up?

AH don't worry, once we're getting down to the nitty-gritty of transfer deals, he'll take his annual summer holiday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

sounds like tabloid talk tbh.

yup, they'll do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Times believe Spurs representatives are due to meet the agent of Real Zaragoza striker Sergio Garcia today to discuss a move to White Hart Lane.

The Mail says Garcia would cost in the region of £14m, which is a lot less than the £17m Valencia are asking for David Villa.

Can someone please tell me why spurs are being linked constantly with players who
    Liverpool should be buying ?
    What the hell is going on?

Milner would be a disaster of a signing IMHO.
    He is a poor mans pennant which is saying something.
    For the same money you could get Aimar, who is inconsistent but can be world class at times.
    Can someone please make me manager of Liverpool for a few weeks, would have our
    attacking problems sorted out in 10 days.
    Im off to play FM now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

spurs are always linked with players,remember all those times they nearly signed someone...hilarious for a few years.To be honest im not that interested in modric or dos santos,one might be a good player but is being judged on a good performance against england while the other is very inconsistent and if he was that good surely a struggling barca team would have found room for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Wat the **** are these clowns playing at? Are they just trying to make themselves more and more hated?!

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2008/06/06/anfield-us-owners-tom-hicks-and-george-gillett-in-shared-stadium-talks-64375-21032552/

Haven't seen this posted, would be an excellent signing imo

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/06/06/david-bentley-next-as-liverpool-close-on-gareth-barry-64375-21032569/

am i the only one who actually rates Milner? :)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Wat the **** are these clowns playing at? Are they just trying to make themselves more and more hated?!

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2008/06/06/anfield-us-owners-tom-hicks-and-george-gillett-in-shared-stadium-talks-64375-21032552/

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/06/06/david-bentley-next-as-liverpool-close-on-gareth-barry-64375-21032569/

Bentley or Milner would be a massive disappointment in my eyes.
    Dont rate either of em much higher than pennant.
    Bentley for me is not the answer, we should be chasing someone
    who will be a world class addition instead of an overhyped
    and overpriced englishman who has had one good season in the premiership
    despite being almost 24.
    Milner is barely good enough to start for Newcastle, enough said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

IrishMike wrote: »
    despite being almost 24.

I concur about Milner, but bentley has been a pleasure to watch the past year.
    He is talented enough to be a LIVERPOOL player

IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Bentley would be a very good signing but milner is ridiculous.
    How much realistically will he go for though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

despite being almost 24.

Fully agree with you. I've said it all along here that i think Bentley is overhyped. Would much prefer to go for someone like David Silva. He is a quality player. Can't see it happening though.
    Milner is pure average. I'm hoping that we don't seriously consider him as an adequate transfer. I'd rather see Paul Anderson given a chance in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

what noobs! OUR stadium should be nearly built now if they delivered on their promises when they took over.
    the lads that started digging a few weeks back, wonder how their getting on?:D

I concur about Milner, but bentley has been a pleasure to watch the past year.
    He is talented enough to be a LIVERPOOL player

IMHO

In what way has bentley been a pleasure to watch may i ask?
    His assists rate is not high, he doesnt score enough goals and he has no real
    pace to speak of.
    We dont need another wide player who can pick a pass, Gerrard and
    Barry/Alonso or whoever will be there to do that.
    We need a winger who can pass people, use their pace and THEN pick out a pass.
    For me bentley is not that type of player.
    Kuyt has more assists than him this season despite Bentley
    being "outstanding" in everyones eyes.
    Dont get me wrong he is a fine player, but he is not going to transform
    Liverpools fortunes in the way Torres has.
    Why not go for a winger who can do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I agree with the concensus that I wouldn't like to see Milner coming in. As for Bentley, I think the guy has a lot to offer but whether he would be worth signing or not depends on the fee. Did anyone hear what kind of money is being spoken about?

Silva vs Bentley is much the same to be honest.

Seen both quite a bit and both are excellent.

Bentley is a superb player and the future England RW, Wenger recently said he wishes he was still at Arsenal, he is a quality quality player. Different league to wat we have.

Sometimes i fear people automatically write off English players because they are overhyped by the media, this is not exclusively and Eng trait,all nations hype up their best players and best prospects (Mc Geady,Miller,Mc Shane!?!?!?), we are just in a position to view the English doing it more often as we share their media 99% of the time. Rooney is overhyped, as is Rio, as is Gerrard, overhyped players usually have something to generate a bit of hype about them in the first place, Bentley falls into that bracket for me.

would be a cracking buy and less of a risk than Silva, but i'll take either :)

I don't see anything in this report tbh. Some guy from the North West Development Agency and another Liverpool Council guy say they think groundsharing is the way forward. There are no quotes in it from Liverpool F.C. saying anything positive about groundsharing - or did I miss something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Shamrok wrote: »
    I agree with the concensus that I wouldn't like to see Milner coming in. As for Bentley, I think the guy has a lot to offer but whether he would be worth signing or not depends on the fee. Did anyone hear what kind of money is being spoken about?

Depending on what manager blackburn get in, but if it is the like of Big Sam or a Big name, he will want assurances that none of his top players will be sold.

As for Bentley he is English so multiply his fee by 2.5. :D

There seems to be a lack of quality wingers at the moment, Bentley is a good player but has been hyped, then again he has looked better than Jole Cole this season.

• Advertisement

Shamrok wrote: »
    There are no quotes in it from Liverpool F.C. saying anything positive about groundsharing - or did I miss something?

Does the article not say that Gillette and Hicks have agreed to meet the planning authority to discuss the possibility of a ground share?

Unless they are meeting to say.....

1. **** off. Not happening.
    2. Why would Everton want to play in a half empty ground week in week out?

..... then they are making life more difficult for themselves with the fans AGAIN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

In what way has bentley been a pleasure to watch may i ask?
    His assists rate is not high, he doesnt score enough goals and he has no real
    pace to speak of.
    We dont need another wide player who can pick a pass, Gerrard and
    Barry/Alonso or whoever will be there to do that.
    We need a winger who can pass people, use their pace and THEN pick out a pass.
    For me bentley is not that type of player.
    Kuyt has more assists than him this season despite Bentley
    being "outstanding" in everyones eyes.
    Dont get me wrong he is a fine player, but he is not going to transform
    Liverpools fortunes in the way Torres has
    Why not go for a winger who can do that?

excuse me but how has torres transformed liverpool's fortunes??? 2006/2007 season without torres we finished 3rd in the league and got to a champion's league final, 2007/2008 with torres and his hatful of goals we finished 4th in the premier league and got knocked out in the champion's league semi final!!!

why not get bentley and silva imo??? we need two wingers not one (if its true we will be selling half our squad players)

Does the article not say that Gillette and Hicks have agreed to meet the planning authority to discuss the possibility of a ground share?
    No, it says they're to meet late next week. You can't blame them for wanting to meet with the North West Development Agency. I imagine many meetings have been held - Stanley Park is hardly being developed without input from them.

they should not be meeting in regards to a groudshare, that idea was put to bed a long time ago.

it should stay that way.

mormank wrote: »
    excuse me but how has torres transformed liverpool's fortunes??? 2006/2007 season without torres we finished 3rd in the league and got to a champion's league final, 2007/2008 with torres and his hatful of goals we finished 4th in the premier league and got knocked out in the champion's league semi final!!!

why not get bentley and silva imo??? we need two wingers not one (if its true we will be selling half our squad players)

Torres has transformed how Liverpool play, their style and the threat they pose.
    Thats what i meant to say.
    Gerrard and Torres are the most potent attack Liverpool have had in years.
    The Liverpool team with Torres is a huge improvement on the team without him.
    I dont see the same level of improvement if Bentley replaced Kuyt as I did
    when Torres replaced Crouch.

they should not be meeting in regards to a groudshare, that idea was put to bed a long time ago.

it should stay that way.

Would Liverpool or Everton fill a large stadium every week, they are running 10th and 12th in the attendance charts?

• Advertisement

it should stay that way.

I dont care who they meet or when they meet as long as the damn stadium is built within 2 years.
    Its a complete farce at this stage and if they are still only talking about the
    location of the stadium then that will more than likely mean design changes
    as im sure Everton will want some input.
    Its not the fact that there will be a ground share that disappoints me, its the
    fact that the stadium more than likely will be delayed yet again.
    The longer Liverpool are without it, the further they will fall behind.

Boggles wrote: »
    Would Liverpool or Everton fill a large stadium every week, they are running 10th and 12th in the attendance charts?

those attendence charts are bull****. I have no idea how they are calculated, 99.9% of Liverpools CL and league games sell out.

Torres has transformed how Liverpool play, their style and the threat they pose.
    Thats what i meant to say.
    Gerrard and Torres are the most potent attack Liverpool have had in years.
    The Liverpool team with Torres is a huge improvement on the team without him.
    I dont see the same level of improvement if Bentley replaced Kuyt as I did
    when Torres replaced Crouch.

ok i dont know what your opinion was of course but before we got torres he had many many doubters too...just believe man. you gotta believe! if we get bentley it will not be a mistake. rafa has seen so much of him at this stage he knows what he can do. and he has had far more than one good season. at least two with blackburn, both good, and he was great for norwich also. pennant on the other hand was signed off the back of a season at brum that saw him make most crosses out of anyone in the premiership that season, what a bogus stat!!!! most crosses, so what?? bentley is a completely different proposition.

those attendence charts are bull****. I have no idea how they are calculated, 99.9% of Liverpools CL and league games sell out.
    This is true. I have no doubt Liverpool will fill Stanley Park almost every match...
    Boggles wrote:
    ...As for the other crowd I don't really care.

Anfield is 96% full on average over a season.
    More than enough to warrent a stadium extension especially when CL nights
    are factored into the equation.
    mormank wrote: »
    ok i dont know what your opinion was of course but before we got torres he had many many doubters too...just believe man. you gotta believe! if we get bentley it will not be a mistake. rafa has seen so much of him at this stage he knows what he can do. and he has had far more than one good season. at least two with blackburn, both good, and he was great for norwich also. pennant on the other hand was signed off the back of a season at brum that saw him make most crosses out of anyone in the premiership that season, what a bogus stat!!!! most crosses, so what?? bentley is a completely different proposition.

Why is bentley a different proposition considering he will be 3 times the price is he even 2x the player?
    I have seen a lot of him, dont see him anywhere near world class tbh.

• Advertisement

There calculated quite easily, isn't the attendance announced at the end of every match, plus it is nearly always printed with the score in the papers and on sky.

yea but those attendances are now rubbished thanks to the auto-cup schemes or watever they are called that some clubs have introduced. seats sold but yet empty.

All PL & CL games are sell outs.

yea but those attendances are now rubbished thanks to the auto-cup schemes or watever they are called that some clubs have introduced. seats sold but yet empty.

All PL & CL games are sell outs.

Haha, was looking there, Liverpools official attendance is 44459, attendance for the United match was 44459. :pac:

Ovbiously making it up and just assuming it was full.

Edit: Just saw official att is 45+

They must be bollix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Getting Degen on a free is 'good business', but as a 25 yr old right-back, does he really add anything to the team? I cant see him being a first player and ahead of Arbeloa or Finnan or am I wrong on that?

Dossena is more the real deal as a left-back, and as it seems its been decided that Riise has to go so its probably an okay move, albeit it an a high price of 7 million.

I have not watched enough of Udinese or Borrussia Dortmund to have any familiarity with these players so I hope they adjust.

Rafa starts his 'tinkering' with full-backs, yet again. Lets hope they work out.

Redspider

ps: I wish they'd get rid of that betfair flash ad - its eating up my CPU!

redspider wrote: »
    I wish they'd get rid of that betfair flash ad - its eating up my CPU!
    If you're on Firefox, try Flashblock. Very handy.

bentley has more to his game than pennant ever had. i dont wanna go down the road of comparin the two. whats in question is whether bentley is good enough for the pool. he was a real protagonist for blackburn this year. a real leader, the player they looked to to create things and get them going in general. it is his emergence as an important player and how he has responded to the responsiblity that has impressed me most about him more than his ability. i think he has what it takes to not be a shrinking violet at the pool. for example when babel scored that 40 yarder against chelsea it was the fact that he was confident enough in his own game to try that in that situation that impressed me more than the goal. think it is players like this that we need.

in short bentley will be an influental player at the pool imo, something that the likes of pennant and benayoun will never be, Babel also will be. I see bentley filling in for stevie too in his role with torres if needs be tbh..he isnt exclusively a winger which is why ive been advocating a bentley plus a winger idea..

Bentley and Silva please and thank you

redspider wrote: »
    Getting Degen on a free is 'good business', but as a 25 yr old right-back, does he really add anything to the team? I cant see him being a first player and ahead of Arbeloa or Finnan or am I wrong on that?

Dossena is more the real deal as a left-back, and as it seems its been decided that Riise has to go so its probably an okay move, albeit it an a high price of 7 million.

I have not watched enough of Udinese or Borrussia Dortmund to have any familiarity with these players so I hope they adjust.

Rafa starts his 'tinkering' with full-backs, yet again. Lets hope they work out.

Redspider

havent seen enough of degen either but now our defence looks so solid, if dossena is half as good as he is rated, we will have skrtel, agger, dossena and degen/arbeloa!! oh and a certain mr carragher to play also!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Silva vs Bentley is much the same to be honest.

Seen both quite a bit and both are excellent.

Bentley is a superb player and the future England RW, Wenger recently said he wishes he was still at Arsenal, he is a quality quality player. Different league to wat we have.

Sometimes i fear people automatically write off English players because they are overhyped by the media, this is not exclusively and Eng trait,all nations hype up their best players and best prospects (Mc Geady,Miller,Mc Shane!?!?!?), we are just in a position to view the English doing it more often as we share their media 99% of the time. Rooney is overhyped, as is Rio, as is Gerrard, overhyped players usually have something to generate a bit of hype about them in the first place, Bentley falls into that bracket for me.

would be a cracking buy and less of a risk than Silva, but i'll take either :)

Silva is much much better than Bentley.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Silva is much much better than Bentley.

not from wat i've seen.

a little better in a league that perfectly suits his kind of play? perhaps.

but much better?

not in my opinion.

Although the end of the above article says we aint in for Bentley, so thats probably that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The only thing that puts Bentley and Barry ahead of any other target is thier nationality and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before now. We only have 2 english players in our 1st choice 11 (Carra and Gerrard). With the new "6+5" proposals from FIFA we really need to boost this and Rafa has publicly stated that he will be bearing the potential new rules in mind when looking at transfers. It's excellent forward planning - Alonso is a quality player but replacing him with a player of roughly equal ability who is english makes sense with those suggested rule changes in mind.

tusky wrote: »
    silva Is Much Much Better Than Bentley.

+1.

The only thing that puts Bentley and Barry ahead of any other target is thier nationality and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before now. We only have 2 english players in our 1st choice 11 (Carra and Gerrard). With the new "6+5" proposals from FIFA we really need to boost this and Rafa has publicly stated that he will be bearing the potential new rules in mind when looking at transfers. It's excellent forward planning - Alonso is a quality player but replacing him with a player of roughly equal ability who is english makes sense with those suggested rule changes in mind.

The 6+5 rule will never be implemented and worst case even if it was it will
    probably start from the 2015 season or something like that.
    How would the likes of fulham or derby be expected to field 6 English players
    when their value will be hugely inflated due to the shortage of quality.
    If its implemented, which i still dont think it will, it will only widen the gap
    between the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Although the end of the above article says we aint in for Bentley, so thats probably that anyway.

It's the 2nd time TB has said that too.

David Bentley doesnt even have a youtube compilation! Even MrAlan has a youtube compilation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

The 6+5 rule will never be implemented and worst case even if it was it will
    probably start from the 2015 season or something like that.
    How would the likes of fulham or derby be expected to field 6 English players
    when their value will be hugely inflated due to the shortage of quality.
    If its implemented, which i still dont think it will, it will only widen the gap
    between the top 4.

The 6+5 rule will never be implemented. Platini is against it as well as the fact that it flies in the face of EU employment law.

Tusky wrote: »
    David Bentley doesnt even have a youtube compilation! Even MrAlan has a youtube compilation.

Its a pity its NSFW though ;)

Its a pity its NSFW though ;)

I'm posting it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

In the first place, I will tell them that my idea of the good football and of a good team passes for a stable, orderly assembly in defense and desequilibrante in attack. For that they cause lacks players that interpret well the football, that know when one must play short and when one must do it long, when one must enter for the centre and when by the wings, when one must maintain the ball and when one must leave quickly to the counterattack. All in all, players of quality. I do not speak of jugglers neither simply technical players. I speak of football players truly, the ones that take advantage of its conditions so that its team win playing possible the best, that know to be adapted if is necessary, that try to impose its style of play, but that they can vary it so that its team be benefited and win.

You tell 'em Rafa.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/news/2008/06/rafa-benitezs-euro-08-column/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement