Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

Fair point :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

are we linked with gudjohnson or is this wishful thinking on our behalf?if he was really available for 4 mill then we should snap him up.
    Milner isa terrible option i would prefer anyone at this stage to him,on half decent loan spell is all he has ever produced.
    United if they sell ronaldo will have around 60 mill and chelsea 100m to spend.How is rafa meant to compete.
    Shocking and sad that a club like ours will be outspent by 7 possibly 8 clubs this summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Rumours in the papers that Man City are planning to spend €200m over 3 years
    and have no wage cap considering they are going to offer 200k a week to Ronaldinho
    United, spurs, chelsea, arsenal and newcastle will all outspend us too.
    Liverpool fans are talking about a title push when in fact staying in the top 4 should be
    the objective considering what we will have to compete against.
    Man City are talking to Ronaldinho we are talking to Milner.
    Puts things in perspective

I have read reports that Gudjohnson is available for £4m as part of the Barca clear-out. I haven't seen anything linking him with us. The usual group of no-marks are sniffing around, West Ham, Newcastle, Bolton. I'm just saying that if a player of this quality is available for such a small fee then surely a club of our stature could get him ahead of these clubs. When you see reports like £10m for Milner, or even £20m for Barry, then I think we're missing a trick here with Gudjohnson. As I said, You could get him and Aimar for the same money as Milner. I know Aimar could flop as he is pretty small and lightweight. But I'd rather risk it on a bit of quality like him or Gudjohnson, rather that Milner, who has proved nothing, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

City Shmity. I wouldn't sign Ronaldinho in a fit and certainly not for 200k a week or whatever. Stars in thier eyes - nothing in the trophy cabinet, I'd sooneer Rafa built a team not the Harlem Globetrotters of Lancashire.

Mike

Other clubs are gonna spend big this year. But I can't see any of them catching us or beaking into the top 4. The thing with Liverpool is that we are looking for a few pieces to fit around a very solid spine.

city are already a decent team and they arent just signing old guys,are they not also buying the kid jo?They could be a force around the top 4 next season

I don't think City will get near us next year. I reckon there will be an interesting battle from 5th to 7th. Everton, Villa, Spurs, City & Pompey will all have good teams next season. I don't think Ronaldinho is gonna turn City into title challengers as I think he's lost his spark. Jo is a good player, but a gamble. Elano looked great last year but fizzled out something terrible. Could see Jo doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if ronaldinho comes to the premiership they will get at least 2 good years from him, dont care what he has lost, he still has plenty more, the guy is pure quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'm sure this has been said already, but why are we going for a player like Milner? He offers nothing and is no better than Pennant in fairness. I know this whole 6+5 rule has probably altered the way the top teams are gonna buy their players, but surely £10m for Milner is a wind-up?
    What about looking at maybe players like Gudjohnson or Aimar. Both of these could fit into the current system playing in and around Torres. I know they're not wingers but are good creative players. You could probably get them both for £10m (The figures I seen were £6m for Aimar, £4m for Gudjohnosn). Surely these represent better value than Milner. I seen Everton were linked with Juoaqin, surely he could do a job for us on the right wing, and would be available for around £10m, maybe even less. If we are going for Young English players, why not go for Downing? He scores and creates a lot of goals and looks like he needs to move away from Boro. Bentley would be the first choice, but I reckon he could follow Hughes to City. A new striker is key, but not nescisserily a huge name that we have no realistic chance of getting (Messi would be a nice fit on our RW, but its not going to happen). Voronin is woeful and I don't understand why Tusky has him surviving the summer cull in his team for next season. But I understand why they went for him. A free transfer signing who would not demand a starting role is always handy to have n the squad. Good additions I see for next season are Barry, Dossena, Deggen, Downing/Bently, Juoaqin/Aimar, Gudjohnson and 1 decent striker.

I have him surviving the summer cull because I think he will be here next season. I dont want him here, but I think he will be here. I just cant see us selling all of Crouch, Voronin, Pennant, Kewell, Riise, Finnan, Itandje & Alonso. Thats eight players!

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    I have him surviving the summer cull because I think he will be here next season. I dont want him here, but I think he will be here. I just cant see us selling all of Crouch, Voronin, Pennant, Kewell, Riise, Finnan, Itandje & Alonso. Thats eight players!

The thing is there is no benefit to selling Voronin.
    We will get tiny money for him, his wages are low and he has actually scored a few goals.
    There is no cost to having him on the books and he could do a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

IrishMike wrote: »
    We will get tiny money for him, his wages are low and he has actually scored a few goals.

id agree but he looked very disinterested the last few times i saw him, at least crouchy always looked to make an impression no matter how little time he got

I wouldnt say he looked disintered, i just think he looked crap ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

I wouldnt say he looked disintered, i just think he looked crap ;)

Agreed!
    If we can keep crouch i'd be happy but the lad wants to play an lets be honest he aint going to so we should cash in. Voronnin should be just sold no matter how little we get for him as he just aint up to it. If we do sell the 6-8 players on that list above we would have a nice kitty to bring in the 2-3 quality players that are needed to firm up the problem positions.
    The defence has been covered all ready so its mid field and maybe a striker needed. With about say 20 million at most to spend depending on who leaves we could get the players needed.

I think if we could get £2m for Voronin that would be great business. Maybe I'm being harsh. I saw him in pre season and thought he looked tasty, but when it came to the league, he looked garbage. One thing about Rafa is he's not afraid to clear a player out after a season if he doesnt do it, a la Gonzalez and Bellamy. I think he'd take anything he can get for a player brought in on a Bosman. I think we could get rid of the 8 players listed and replacing them might be tough. But if we take Barry as a given, along with Deggen and Dossena, maybe another 4 players would be enough, depending on the quality of those players obviously.

MY problem with Voronin is that he was played too much. 19 apperances is too many for a player of his quality. If we had him in reserve in case we got a rake of injuries, fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i'm not so sure Carson will go (probably due to price and his second half of last season), i reckon he'll be our umber two next season.

would we get more than 5 mill for carson.He is just a decent keeper but has slow reactions.Be happier with him than itjande as reserve though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Does anyone else feel that bringing in too many new players might upset the team?
    i.e. it would take too long for the team to gel together.

• Advertisement

I think £5m for Carson is good money. He played his way down from the supposed £10m that was agreed with Villa last year. He's still a good keeper though. I would be happy to have him as Pepe's understudy, but will he be happy to do this??

Does anyone else feel that bringing in too many new players might upset the team?
    i.e. it would take too long for the team to gel together.

Absolutely. I would much rather less players sold & less players (of higher quality) bought. We have had 5 or 6 players leaving and joining every year since Rafa joined.

In my opinion, we should have bought two top class full backs and a top class ride sided attacker to replace Kuyt. If Crouch was intent on leaving, replace him also. 3 signings, 4 max.

I think everyone would rather we only make 1 or 2 quality additions every year, but we really do need fullbacks, wingers and strikers. Untill Rafa gets it right in these positions we will always see him tinkering with them. When you look at the spine of the team it is impressive. Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Carra, Masch, Gerrard, Barry/Alonso, Torres. Its all about getting the players in and around them that can push us on. We're only a couple of players short in my opinion of really challenging.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I think all we need for the summer now is Silva (Really wishful but possible) and if the price is as stated Gudjohnson would be brilliant.
    Sorry I should add if Alonso goes then Barry and 1 more backup CM should be brought in aswell.

Kuyt, Babel, Nemeth, Gudjohnson can all play up front if anything happens to Torres.

Will degan be playing for the swiss in the euro's does anyone know?we might get a proper look at him.They guy from the guardian podcast said he is great going forward but basially hopeless defensively.
    Dossena seems to be a good player and reviews of him suggest he will be a good signing.
    Crouch will net us 10m but is that funding the Barry move?
    Has rafa got less than ten mill to spend before sales?it seems that the owners havent given him anything other that the dossena deal?

I don't think Nemeth is ready for the 1st team yet. I think he is a bit lightweight and would be bullied by top Premiership defenders. Maybe a couple of run outs in the Carling Cup or against Hull or Stoke (or whoever this seasons Derby are). I'm all for the young players getting a run out. I would like to see Nemeth, Plessis and Insua figuring a bit more this year to give them valuable 1st team experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Don't forget 7 subs from August so more chance for the likes of Nemeth, Insua, etc.. to get some 1st team football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

zing wrote: »
    Don't forget 7 subs from August so more chance for the likes of Nemeth, Insua, etc.. to get some 1st team football.

agreed, the 7 subs thing could be the making of a lot of our youth. can always have 1 or 2 of them on the bench to bring on if we're coasting. Also much easier to come on, fresh and enthusiastic, against tired legs that have done 70 or 80 mins running. Think we could see Nemeth and Insua on the bench very often next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

raven136 wrote: »
    Will degan be playing for the swiss in the euro's does anyone know?we might get a proper look at him.They guy from the guardian podcast said he is great going forward but basially hopeless defensively.

He has been injured for sometime and is not anywhere near match fit - according to bbc the other night anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

zing wrote: »

Is that in the PL too or just European football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Kuyt, Babel, Nemeth, Gudjohnson can all play up front if anything happens to Torres.
    I realise it would take all 4 to make up for Torres being missing...wonder could we get dispensation to field 14 players :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    Is that in the PL too or just European football?
    PL too, as of next season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The source is utter tripe (football365.com)but is there truth in this?
    The cost of Tom Hicks and George Gillett's takeover of Liverpool is becoming clear after the club published their first set of accounts since the Americans arrived last year.

Kop Football (Holdings), the company set up by the Americans to buy Liverpool, made a loss of £33million in the year ending July 2007, quite the achievement when one considers the pair only took over the club in the February of that year.

Given that the Americans transferred the debt they took on to buy Liverpool to the club, it is not surprising to learn that interest of £64million on those loans must be paid to Kop Football Ltd, the club's immediate parent company.

However, while those figures were largely expected and anticipated, Liverpool fans may not be best pleased to learn that Hicks and Gillett claimed more that £1.4million in expenses in the period covered by the accounts, and given that they have paid plenty more visits to Britain since, that won't be the end of things.

The Time reports that the owners wrote off another £10.3million when they scrapped the existing plans for a new stadium when they took over. The pair brought in their own design, a design that they have been forced to scale back in recent months because of the constraints of the global credit crunch.

A number of Liverpool fans held a demonstration at Anfield on Sunday, demanding 'repossession' of the club and posting eviction notices for Hicks and Gillett.

I'm sure you all know but Kyut got a nice assist this evening.
    Put your hands up for dirk kyut :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

he's actually playing very well, looks much better than half the french team so far. starting to think might need to get some money on the dutch, looking very good, hopefully spain do the same tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

/stumbles into thread

How long has this been here? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Kuyt is doing what he's done all season for us. Good work from him and great assist.

Two assists. Could nearly have a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Maybe this will put the groundshare issue to bed for a while anyways ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/7443339.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

GBX wrote: »
    Maybe this will put the groundshare issue to bed for a while anyways ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/7443339.stm

Surely, the basis of getting a new stadium is by outgrowing your old one. Do the small fry even sell out their hell hole of a stadium??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

monkey9 wrote: »
    Surely, the basis of getting a new stadium is by outgrowing your old one. Do the small fry even sell out their hell hole of a stadium??

You are a gimp.

Go support Chelsea or United will you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You are the gimp! Ha! (he was talking about Everton shopping at Tescos!)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

mike65 wrote: »
    You are the gimp! Ha! (he was talking about Everton shopping at Tescos!)

Mike.

It was an easy mistake to make. I though he was talking about Liverpool until I followed the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Welcome back phenom BTW, we have not seen you in these parts in a while.

This whole dragging out of the stadium thing is really annoying me now. These two liars who said that the first sod would be turned etc etc have been a thorn in our side since they arrived. They should just take their money and chuff off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

You are a gimp.

Go support Chelsea or United will you.

I'm glad we've had this talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The Sun (yes, yes, I know) have quotes from Barry's agent saying that Barry has told he wants to join Liverpool.

It's looking very likely that we'll be losing Alonso and gaining Barry. A step sideways, not quite the leap forward we're looking for this season.

I guess we're going to be waiting until after the Euros for any big moves - if we even make one...

Barry will bring a lot of qualities to the Liverpool team. While we will lose Alonso's ability to control the tempo and slow the game down, we will gain Barry's ability to hit a deadball. Gerrards inability to clear the 1st defender on corners is a joke at this stage. Also Barry is naturaly a defensive player so maybe that extra steel in midfield will make us harder to beat, along with the extra threat of his delivery into the box. Could be a good move in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Gareth Barry isn't fit to lace the boots of an in-form Alonso but the problem is, the in-form Xabi Alonso that we need has been a rare sight over the last 2 seasons. I really wish that the £10-£15 million that will presumably be spent on Barry could be spent on areas of the team where we really need strengthening e.g. left and right of midfield.

Barry is a very consistent performer for Villa. I'm a big fan of Xabi, espescially in Europe where you need a ball player of his type to control and dictate the midfield. Gerrard cannot do this and while he usually grabs the headlines by scoring, it is Alonso that keeps the play ticking, much in the same way that Hamann used to. If we are going to get rid of him, I think Barry is a good alternative as he can keep the midfield ticking while his delivery into the danger zones is better than Xabi, and even Gerrard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

The Journo behind those stories isn't exactly reliable from what I've seen. Seems to just rehash stuff that's printed elsewhere

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement