Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

One of the reports seemed to suggest that Rafa was trying to raise 50 million in player sales to bolster the 20 million that he already has for transfers in the summer.

id be very surprised if he will have 70m to spend. 50m? that will be alot of players gone so!

and i dont think he'll even get 20 from the owners:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

The 50m was only made up of 5 or 6 players with Crouch & Alonso both being up in the 10-15 region, Carson around 8, Riise & Pennant around 5 each and a packet of crisps and a mars bar for Voronin. Those valuations were ever so slightly optimistic in some cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

zing wrote: »
    The 50m was only made up of 5 or 6 players with Crouch & Alonso both being up in the 10-15 region, Carson around 8, Riise & Pennant around 5 each and a packet of crisps and a mars bar for Voronin. Those valuations were ever so slightly optimistic in some cases

:D. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

raido9 wrote: »
    So David Healy would be a good bet for the golden boot at Euro 2008 so?

ar u seriously going on about this? some lad just counted kuyts 2 previous goals... they are not counted officailly in the actual tournament, he was just pointing them out. get over it
    Given the previous ludicrous nonsense low valuations of Crouch i have to say this rising to £12m pleases me greatly. A hell of a lot more like whats he actually worth. As long as they don't inisist on sending Kranckjar in Anfield's way I'd have to say I'd be ok with this especially if the money was put towards getting a striker/right-winger type of player.

would u really not like to see kranckjar included in that!? maybe i just misread.. it doesn't matter. i just think that krankjar is a good player, very skillful... good cross.. free kicks his only negative point is that he isn't the quickest winger around. i'd have no problem seeing him join... anyone else??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Think they are based on 10 for Carson, 12 for Crouch, 16 for Alonso and whatever for the rest,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

mormank wrote: »
    your argument about arsenal not winning anything recently isnt valid cos my point was merely that they have been very successful during wenger's time there without spending big. the fact that they have not won the league over the past couple of years cannot be put down to not spendin

I dont agree with that at all.
    If wenger had spent what Fergie spent last summer they would be PL champions.
    They do not have a big enough squad and thats why they lost.
    Injuries and loss of form for players like Fabregas and Adeybour even for 2-3
    games was detrimental to the team as they couldnt replace those players
    with someone of similiar quality
    The days of winning the PL on a shoestring are well and truely over when the
    likes of United and Chelsea are able to spend 30M+ on squad players each summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

reports have resurfaced about chelsea and torres.Apperantly they are gona break the transfer record and bid 50 million and supposedly hicks wants to sell:(

dc69 wrote: »
    reports have resurfaced about chelsea and torres.Apperantly they are gona break the transfer record and bid 50 million and supposedly hicks wants to sell:(

Already mentioned 3 times this morning alone.
    There is a better chance of Phil Collins becoming the next president of Cuba for crying out loud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Smells like bullsh*t

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

All we want is to able to talk about our club without some pedantic knobend turning it into a free for all.
    So David Healy would be a good bet for the golden boot at Euro 2008 so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hicks is trying to win over fans.. Selling Torries will make that impossible.. The only way it would happen is if Rafa gives the ok and Rafa is able to appease the fans by singing 2 or 3 world class players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can we simply not talk about what some tabloid reckons Chelsea might do?

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

IrishMike wrote: »
    Already mentioned 3 times this morning alone.
    There is a better chance of Phil Collins becoming the next president of Cuba for crying out loud
    Typical delusional thinking. Liverpool were bought as a business. If the board reckon selling Torres will benefit the club financially in the long run they will sell.

They didn't buy the club as fans, they bought it to make some money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

no one is doubting that papers are reporting it DC69, its just that its silly season! never gonna happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Typical delusional thinking. Liverpool were bought as a business. If the board reckon selling Torres will benefit the club financially in the long run they will sell.

Yes - but the board are extremely unlikely to approve that sale. The original article in the Daily Mail suggests that the sale would benefit Hicks as he tries to raise funds to buy out Gillet. It kinda overlooks the bit about how Hicks would then get his hands on this cash - surely the board would need to approve that. Gillet has stated he won't sell to Hicks under any circumstances so he sure as hell is not going to gift him a wedge of cash to help him in his attempts when it would potentially devalue the club and therefore his stake in it. He seems to be holding out for as big & fat cheque as he can get from DIC/whomever so the more value he can keep in the club the better from that pov.

i wonder if Gerrard is jealous of Torres being the one mooted for the big money move in the press? :)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i wonder if Gerrard is jealous of Torres being the one mooted for the big money move in the press? :)

Jealous no, apprehensive maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Torres to Chelsea is clearly the new Gerrard to Chelsea.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

:rolleyes:

Complete crap tbh.
    Its the same as saying that if Real offered £40m for Ronaldo that United would
    have to sell seeing as they are £1bn in debt and the Glaziers need the money.

There is a board at the club, its not a dictatorship therefore any attempted
    sale would 100% definitely be blocked.
    He is now the most marketable player Liverpool have, no chance in hell he will be sold.
    Plus the fact is he would not want to move, he is loving life where he is

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

they are £1bn in debt and the Glaziers need the money.

Not quite £1bn!! (Yes every penny counts)

Also the Glaziers don't need any of those pennys as the debt is completely on the club.

If madrid offered enough to make interest payable for the next few years i'd bite their hand off, but i don't think he or any other player is worth that!!

On topic, he has as much chance of signing for chelsea as i do.

Complete crap tbh.
    Its the same as saying that if Real offered £40m for Ronaldo that United would
    have to sell seeing as they are £1bn in debt and the Glaziers need the money.

There is a board at the club, its not a dictatorship therefore any attempted
    sale would 100% definitely be blocked.
    He is now the most marketable player Liverpool have, no chance in hell he will be sold.
    Plus the fact is he would not want to move, he is loving life where he is
    If Real offered 60M+ it would not be a football decision, it would be a business one.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    On topic, he has as much chance of signing for chelsea as i do.

PP are currently offering odds of 12000-1 for Lordgoat to be signed by chelsea.
    Odds for Torres is 5000-1.
    Your comment is a little wayward but i completely agree with the sentiment ;)

*Actually odds maybe completely different as suprisingly i made those ones up!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

What people seem to forget is that Liverpool can't just 'sell Torres to Chelsea' without Torres agreeing to it.

Torres has a 5 year contract with Liverpool. The only way Liverpool can get out of that contract is if they either buy him out (20m +?) of it and he goes on his way, or he agrees to allow his contract to be transferred to another club. Can you really imagine Torres jumping at the chance to ditch his contract with Liverpool so he can head down to London? He'll hardly be punished with a spell in the reserves if he refuses to go now will he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Tusky wrote: »
    I'm hoping the new 7 subs rule might give him his chance at the first team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    I'm hoping the new 7 subs rule might give him his chance at the first team.

just thinking about this the last day, surely with benitez's tactical awareness this will hugely benefit us this year. i think this has helped us in Europe, as he's not so constricted with his subs.
    Just a thought.

spockety wrote: »
    Can you really imagine Torres jumping at the chance to ditch his contract with Liverpool so he can head down to London? He'll hardly be punished with a spell in the reserves if he refuses to go now will he?

I can think of a few reasons why Torres might leave. Maybe Torres has ambition to win trophies?

• Advertisement

Okay thats it you are a troll.

Mike.

I can think of a few reasons why Torres might leave. Maybe Torres has ambition to win trophies?

:eek:

how dare you!

in recent memory Liverpool have won every concievable trophy except the PL.

back under your bridge!

Yeah...like the Champions league ?

If he wants to win the Champions League he should definitely head to Chelsea :p

Trolling :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

$%%&*$£%"£)(%$*(£")!!_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

If you're trolling I think you'll have to try harder than that :rolleyes:

spockety wrote: »
    What people seem to forget is that Liverpool can't just 'sell Torres to Chelsea' without Torres agreeing to it.

Torres has a 5 year contract with Liverpool. The only way Liverpool can get out of that contract is if they either buy him out (20m +?) of it and he goes on his way, or he agrees to allow his contract to be transferred to another club. Can you really imagine Torres jumping at the chance to ditch his contract with Liverpool so he can head down to London? He'll hardly be punished with a spell in the reserves if he refuses to go now will he?

Thats what I was thinking,he as stated before there is only 2 clubs he would play for,Liverpool and Athletico.Im sure even if the board agreed to the sale he would refuse the terms and want to go back home.For some people money isnt the be all and end all and to me he seems to be a humble guy and probably has that view,although that could be nievety on my part.

I also agree that the 7 sub rule will benefit nemeth immensly,although I think he should play a role next year regardless of whether the rule had come into place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Bagsy the mars bar

Bagsy the mars bar

i called arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Bet they're low fat crisps and the mars bar is fun-sized.

On the Torres to Chelsea hoopla, he seems to be a smart lad so I find it difficult to see him moving to the Chelsea Circus when he's adored at Liverpool. Money is obviously important to any professional player, but I don't see him being convinced by an extra 20-30k a week.
    The only reason he would leave is if Rafa made it clear he wasn't part of his plans for next season.....highly unlikely I imagine.

• Advertisement

Daemonic wrote: »
    Bet they're low fat crisps and the mars bar is fun-sized.

On the Torres to Chelsea hoopla, he seems to be a smart lad so I find it difficult to see him moving to the Chelsea Circus when he's adored at Liverpool. Money is obviously important to any professional player, but I don't see him being convinced by an extra 20-30k a week.
    The only reason he would leave is if Rafa made it clear he wasn't part of his plans for next season.....highly unlikely I imagine.

Exactly
    He took a pay cut to join Liverpool, so i doubt an extra 30k a week to join
    Chelsea will mean much to him
    A non story to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Link or it didnt happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Torres has repeatedly gone above and beyond the usual footballer spiel in stating how important the fans, the players and the coach at LFC have been in improving his game and his overall well-being and state of mind. He's too smart to put that at risk to hitch a ride on Chelsea's impending downward spiral, especially as he's already financially set up for life, so he doesn't really need to move for the money - and the fact that he took a pay cut to come to Liverpool says that even if he did he probably wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'm actually starting to get a bit excited here.
    Pool are strongest at the back, and in central midfield.
    It's in attack, and on the wings that we need more umph.
    The fact that all of our acquisitions, and near buys (Degan, Barry, Dosena) are in those positions, and not for massive ammounts of money, shows me that what we have, which I really don't think will be as little as a lot of the doomsayers here, will be spent upfront.

Just becasue we're linked with Krankjar, Bently, and Dowling, doesn't mean that we're gonna buy them.

I can see at least three "pleasing" signings coming in the next few months.

I'm thinking Silva, Milito, and somebody else.
    Personally I'm hoping that Nasi's rumoured move to Arsenal isn't set in stone.

Seriously lads.
    If we can sort out Dosena, Degan, and Bary for £20-22 million, then I can see a lot of money left over for upfront.
    Rafa's no fool.
    If he only has limited funds, then he wouldn't be going about things like he is.
    Rafa hasn't been given a fortune I'm sure, and he will have to sell, but I can see a gross outlay of about £60 million this year, with £30 coming back in.
    That'd leave us with £40 or so million.

£17 for Silva, £13 for Milto (Zaragoza can hardly hold out for more), that leaves £10 for someone else.

And that's only with a transfer kitty of £30 million, which isn't too unlikely.

Chin up lads.

IRWT.:D

P.S: And that doesn't take into acc the selling of Alonso if it does happen, which would throw in another £15 million or so.

I'm actually starting to get a bit excited here.
    Pool are strongest at the back, and in central midfield.
    It's in attack, and on the wings that we need more umph.
    The fact that all of our acquisitions, and near buys (Degan, Barry, Dosena) are in those positions, and not for massive ammounts of money, shows me that what we have, which I really don't think will be as little as a lot of the doomsayers here, will be spent upfront.

Just becasue we're linked with Krankjar, Bently, and Dowling, doesn't mean that we're gonna buy them.

I can see at least three "pleasing" signings coming in the next few months.

I'm thinking Silva, Milito, and somebody else.
    Personally I'm hoping that Nasi's rumoured move to Arsenal isn't set in stone.

Seriously lads.
    If we can sort out Dosena, Degan, and Bary for £20-22 million, then I can see a lot of money left over for upfront.
    Rafa's no fool.
    If he only has limited funds, then he wouldn't be going about things like he is.
    Rafa hasn't been given a fortune I'm sure, and he will have to sell, but I can see a gross outlay of about £60 million this year, with £30 coming back in.
    That'd leave us with £40 or so million.

£17 for Silva, £13 for Milto (Zaragoza can hardly hold out for more), that leaves £10 for someone else.

And that's only with a transfer kitty of £30 million, which isn't too unlikely.

Chin up lads.

IRWT.:D

P.S: And that doesn't take into acc the selling of Alonso if it does happen, which would throw in another £15 million or so.

Barry will cost 15m & Dossena 8m. We already spent 18m on Masch and 7m on Skrtel this year. I dont see us splashing the cash up front unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

i really hope he doesn't sell alonso... i was thinking this whole barry move isn't such a bad idea. he is a very good player and rafa knows we will bw short of midfielders at the start of the season. lucas and mascherano will be going to the olympics so what does that leave in midfield? alonso and gerrard maybe plessis. so thats why he is going for barry and he is very versatile!

tok9 wrote: »
    i really hope he doesn't sell alonso... i was thinking this whole barry move isn't such a bad idea. he is a very good player and rafa knows we will bw short of midfielders at the start of the season. lucas and mascherano will be going to the olympics so what does that leave in midfield? alonso and gerrard maybe plessis. so thats why he is going for barry and he is very versatile!

you'd never know it might give anderson the chance to make an impression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Tusky wrote: »
    Barry will cost 15m & Dossena 8m. We already spent 18m on Masch and 7m on Skrtel this year. I dont see us splashing the cash up front unfortunately.

Ah come on man.
    That's last season.

You can't count Masch and Skrtel in the totals for last year, and again for this year.
    Liverpool, as with most businesses, don't work on a calendar fiscal year.
    Masch and Skretel were bought in the last business year.
    Club expenditures (transfers/wages/etc) and incomes (tickets/tv money/sponsorship/transfers/etc) are calculated in the closed season.

That's always how it's done.

Ah come on man.
    That's last season.

You can't count Masch and Skrtel in the totals for last year, and again for this year.
    Liverpool, as with most businesses, don't work on a calendar fiscal year.
    Masch and Skretel were bought in the last business year.
    Club expenditures (transfers/revenues/etc) and incomes (tickets/tv money/sponsorship/transfers/etc) are calculated in the closed season.

That's always how it's done.

What are you talking about ? Of course it will count! Rafa splashed the cash in January. Its reasonable to expect that he might not have as much to spend in the summer because of it. I'm not saying it was a bad move, Masch & Skrtel were good buys.

There was a loan taken out in January to pay for January transfers, summer transfers and Jan 2009 transfers. How much is spent in one window will most likely affect the budget for the next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

But you're forgetting Sissoko being sold which funded Skrtels transfer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement