Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Milner would be a terrible signing for yous IMO, what exactly does he offer that yous don't already have?
    Average player that is at his level now, I'm sorry but would be a needless transfer and waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Some more stats

Milner has 20 assists in 167 appearances for Leeds, Newcastle or Villa.
    He has 7 assists in 92 for Newcastle
    In that time he has 12 goals

Pennant has 29 assists from 150 games
    He has 17 assists in his last 90 appearances for Liverpool
    He has scored 10 goals in his career and 5 in his last 90 appearances.

Looking at the stats i cant make any case for trading Pennant for Milner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

IrishMike wrote: »
    Some more stats

Milner has 20 assists in 167 appearances for Leeds, Newcastle or Villa.
    He has 7 assists in 92 for Newcastle
    In that time he has 12 goals

in what time, his whole career or just while at newcastle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56167666#post56167666

Basically Checking Millner's stats

2007-2008 Newcastle Aps 33 Goals 3
    2006-2007 Newcastle Aps 51 Goals 4
    2005-2006 ASton Villa Aps 39 Goals 3
    2004-2005 Newcastle Aps 44 Goals 1

Aps 167 Goals 11 one every 15 games - hardly impressive.

While Pennant's Career Stats

2006-2008 Liverpool Aps 52 Goals 3
    2005-2006 Birmingham Aps 50 Goals 2
    2003-2004 Leeds Aps 36 Goals 2
    2002-2003 Watford Aps 21 Goals 3
    1999-2005 Arsenal Aps 12 Goals 3

Aps 171 Goals 13 one ever 13 games - slightly better than Millner

Admittedly it's playing in differing teams and at a different stage in their career but it shows that neither of them is exactly a goal machine, but to suggest

is just plain wrong

fair enough, looks like i should have done a bit more (some) research! still though, form his style of play and age, i could see it being far more a part of his game then it is for Pennant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I hate stats :)

i'm with Rebel, i think he'd be much more suited to the role than Pennant, even if the stats dont back it up! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Stats shmats. Just get rid of pennant and play paul anderson.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    in what time, his whole career or just while at newcastle?

http://premiersoccerstats.com/Records.cfm?DOrderby=OPAss&DYearby=2007/8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

From Goal.com:

Quaresma states he has already signed for a big club(http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=733575)

A crazy notion just occured to me about Milner...Could Rafa be using him as a bargaining chip with MON? We know that Villa want him, but pool's involvement will only make the price rise. Could pool say they'll pull the plug on that if Villa agree to a fair price on Barry?

Bit off the wall, but you never know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Has there actually been a credible link to Milner yet ? Right now I'm just not buying into these rumours - e.g. iirc the original story about Milner supposedly had Rafa offering Insua to the barcodes as part exchange (1 of 3 players iirc) - can anyone actually see Rafa letting Insua go like that given that he's looking like he'll be a great player ? It just doesn't make sense no matter how strapped for cash we are.

• Advertisement

zing wrote: »
    Has there actually been a credible link to Milner yet ? Right now I'm just not buying into these rumours - e.g. iirc the original story about Milner supposedly had Rafa offering Insua to the barcodes as part exchange (1 of 3 players iirc) - can anyone actually see Rafa letting Insua go like that given that he's looking like he'll be a great player ? It just doesn't make sense no matter how strapped for cash we are.

well theres loads of links;
    can never tell if they're real or not though, but we must be making some form of offer to spark it all off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    well theres loads of links;
    can never tell if they're real or not though, but we must be making some form of offer to spark it all off.

We've been linked with Bentley just as much and one of the few journalists most of us trust on lfc related matters (i.e. TB) has said we're not interested in him. Personally I'll believe him over all the fleet street types. Same goes for Milner - unfortunately there's been nothing from him in the Echo all week so I can only assume he's on holidays or sick or something.

zing wrote: »
    We've been linked with Bentley just as much and one of the few journalists most of us trust on lfc related matters (i.e. TB) has said we're not interested in him. Personally I'll believe him over all the fleet street types. Same goes for Milner - unfortunately there's been nothing from him in the Echo all week so I can only assume he's on holidays or sick or something.

thats true, but no offer was ever reported about bently, only interest, whereas we have been reported as making menial offers for milner.

As I said above, it could be us driving up his price on Villa in order to try and get them to be reasonable over barry's fee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

screw milner. i want mancini.

i actually like the "swap" of alonso for barry. i think him and mascherano will make quite the midfield pair next season

On Milner, if we Do get him, i still want another, better winger. Dont think he's good enough to be first choice yet, would just be a step up in backup from Pennant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Jazzy wrote: »
    screw milner. i want mancini.

Was reported a while ago about a 4 milion move for Mancini to Liverpool. Saw it on Skysports, but the Mirror is the best link I can find for it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

evil_seed wrote: »
    Stats shmats. Just get rid of pennant and play paul anderson.

QFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I'm a very depressed liverpool supporter at the moment. The wealth (pun not intended) of talent at euro 2008 and we cannot afford any of them.

We are looking at players who can just about to get into their national teams and these national teams are crap or unable to make it to euro 2008.

Rumors about that citeh are chasing podolski 20m - 3 goals this competition already.

What sickens me the most is players actually want to come to our club but we cannot buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

excellent link...whatever happened to us being linked with mancini?? he'd be a great signin and not too expensive id imagaine with only one year left on his contract..nah milner would not be good i reckon. at least 5 better wingers on that list in this link...

• Advertisement

Aston Villa are to hold out for around £20m for Gareth Barry after rejecting a second bid from Liverpool. (Daily Star)

Game over at this stage surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Had to laugh last night, MON was on BBC for the football, and when asked to comment on the Barry situation, he didnt give away much, except to point out that his price would be high because "You got to remember this was the last man to wear the captains arm band for England....!"
    FFS Trinidad and Tobago! Haha.......ah good ould England, they won the world cup in 1966 you know?

Anyways, £20m, you got to be kidding me, no way on earth hes worth that.

Is laughable at this stage.
    £20m would value him at over twice what he is worth.
    The man is good but he is not worth £20m, i dont care what country he captained!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

If Barry's going for £20 million, Juventus better hand over at least £25 million for Alonso.

Xabi Alonso's proposed move to Juventus could be off with the Italian club unwilling to meet Liverpool's £15m valuation. (Daily Express)

Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool have all been linked with Inter Milan striker Mario Balotelli. (The Times)

some other rumors from bbc.

Martin O'Neill is just trying to price Rafa out of the market. I hope Rafa pulls out and leaves Villa with a player who is not so keen on playing for them anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

malice_ wrote: »
    If Barry's going for £20 million, Juventus better hand over at least £25 million for Alonso.

Juve are set to be stalling at meeting the £15m asking price for Alonso. £20m (cash) for Barry is ridiculous. Rafa should move onto other targets. Why not offer Crouch as part of a swap if Villa are interested. Pompey are now claiming that £10m is too much for him but might be interested if the price goes down. This is turning into a joke. Give Villa 1 final offer, a take it or leave players + cash deal and if they don't want it, move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

barry only ever made any sense if he came in at the same price or less than alonso went out at, if that isnt happening screw them they can have him and we keep xavi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I hope Juve give up on Xabi, cause if we end up selling him I can see Liverpool going and handing over £18-20m for Barry when imo he is worth approximately half that figure.

Captain of England. Who gives a fcuk. It's not as if he is on the way to nailing down the captaincy permanently.

Villa are holding out for the best deal they can get. Cant blame them for that. Hopefully this wont drag on for much longer. The player wants to go and while Villa dont want to sell him, surely they dont want to keep a player who has said he wants to play for a team who can match his ambitions. I think it's time we start playing hard ball with them. We don't need Barry. At the same time though, I cant see Xabi staying either way now as he has lost the backing of Rafa, so one way or another, he's gone. There are some good players out there who we could get in with that £15m (or whatever we get for Xabi) so why not let Villa know that. £5m plus Crouch and Carson, take it or leave it.

Villa are holding out for the best deal they can get. Cant blame them for that. Hopefully this wont drag on for much longer. The player wants to go and while Villa dont want to sell him, surely they dont want to keep a player who has said he wants to play for a team who can match his ambitions. I think it's time we start playing hard ball with them. We don't need Barry. At the same time though, I cant see Xabi staying either way now as he has lost the backing of Rafa, so one way or another, he's gone. There are some good players out there who we could get in with that £15m (or whatever we get for Xabi) so why not let Villa know that. £5m plus Crouch and Carson, take it or leave it.

Fire the Rick Parry and hire the G Child
    You heard it here first ;)
    Would be good business but cant see it happening unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Admittedly from todays Metro but I read that we along with Arsenal and Chelsea have been linked with Dejan Stankovic from Inter

http://www.inter.it/aas/squadra/player1?codgioc=G0764&L=en&stagione=2006/07

This is the first time I've seen us linked with him

Could this be a back up move in case the Barry debacle does not materialise?

• Advertisement

tonc76 wrote: »
    Admittedly from todays Metro but I read that we along with Arsenal and Chelsea have been linked with Dejan Stankovic from Inter

http://www.inter.it/aas/squadra/player1?codgioc=G0764&L=en&stagione=2006/07

This is the first time I've seen us linked with him

Could this be a back up move in case the Barry debacle does not materialise?

well the BBC TG has Us, Arse and Chelsea linkied with mario balotelli from inter, which i reckon is much more likely than Stanković, so they may have got their wires crossed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Does anybody else get tired of all this 'paper talk',I know some people love it but after a while I just turn off.

O'Neill is taking the piss if he think Barrys captaining England few a few minutes in a pre-season friendly that FIFA dont even recognise as a match due to both teams making so many subs should have ANY effect on his price.

read somewhere yesterday that Gerrard/Carragher/Murphy/Owen all captained England in one friendly game a few years ago. It makes no difference. Only time being a captain makes any difference is if its your permanent role in your club side (which explains Barrys already inflated price)

part of me wants Barry very much cause i do think he will improve our side. another part of me wants Rafa to tell O'Neill to go and **** himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

heres some more paper talk for you, enjoy!

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=98095

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Is it just me being paranoid or does anything over 12 million seem crazy for a player of Barrys ability.I personally dont believe the figure being thrown about of us making a 15 million pound offer for him is anything more than papertalk.Barry is painfully limited as a matchwinner and surely to god there must be someone out there who can do a better job for the team that we can spend 12 million quid on.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Dub13 wrote: »
    Does anybody else get tired of all this 'paper talk',I know some people love it but after a while I just turn off.

Depends on what players we are linked to :pac:
    All this Barry talk is boring the pants off me tho'.

kryogen wrote: »

Yawn

kryogen wrote: »

Thanks for that. Cheered me up :)

the ****e that gets written is just hilarious.

Hicks has said there is no way on earth that he would sell Torres. Torres has said there is no way on earth that he would leave. Rafa has said there is no way on earth he would sell Torres. Even if 1 of the americans was willing to accept a bid, which they wouldnt be, 1 is not enough, see Parry still having a job as an example.

absolute non-story.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I get sick of them repeating the same shtuff over and over....like the Ronaldo debarkle. But when there is something new and different and from left field it is interesting.....like all the names that are now being linked with Chelski.

Anyhow, Barry would be a great signing. He's probably a better player than Xabi and scores more goals, might not have the range of passing but is more attacking minded.

As far as villar holding out for more cash, LFC fans cannot critise, are we not doing the same with Peadar Crouch?

It is mostly bull**** and i dont pay much attention to it myself. Still it sells papers:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I cant see Xabi staying either way now as he has lost the backing of Rafa, so one way or another, he's gone.
    Why do you think Alonso has lost the backing of Rafa? I don't think that's the case at all.
    I do too! The Barry saga has me fed up at this stage and reading about Milner is just depressing.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    As far as villar holding out for more cash, LFC fans cannot critise, are we not doing the same with Peadar Crouch?

I wasnt aware any club had made a bid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Is it just me being paranoid or does anything over 12 million seem crazy for a player of Barrys ability.I personally dont believe the figure being thrown about of us making a 15 million pound offer for him is anything more than papertalk.Barry is painfully limited as a matchwinner and surely to god there must be someone out there who can do a better job for the team that we can spend 12 million quid on.:(

When you say 'matchwinner' do you mean like Gerrard?

Barry's strength isn't in his matchwinning ability. That's why I think he would work very well with Gerrard. I think all Pool fans will admit that Stevie isn't the most consistent, he fades in and out of matches. Barry is really consistent and keeps play ticking over.

I think the reason that the prices are getting inflated are that Barry is basically invaluable to us, ie he will be very hard to replace. So while we value him around £18mil, his market price may be around £12mil, so I reckon around £15mil may be paid in the end. There's a difference between 'asking' price and 'market' price.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

The Times wrote:
    'Chelsea have been told that one of the Americans is willing to let Torres go for the right price and are planning to test Liverpool's resolve with a bid.'

Just read that on Football365. Wouldn't surprise me with those yanks. OMG tho, I would lose all hope if this happened. The day Liverpool turned into a selling club...

malice_ wrote: »
    Why do you think Alonso has lost the backing of Rafa? I don't think that's the case at all.

The fact that he is trying to sell him to replace him with Barry tells me that he has lost faith in him. If Xabi was still a key part of Rafa's plan, he wouldn't be getting shipped out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Tusky wrote: »

Downing? interesting... i wouldn't have thought he'd be at the standard Pool need, tbh i'd only rate him marginally ahead of Pennant.

The fact that he is trying to sell him to replace him with Barry tells me that he has lost faith in him. If Xabi was still a key part of Rafa's plan, he wouldn't be getting shipped out.

i would say Alonso still has a place in the team, i would imagine Rafa not wanting to sell Alonso but his hand being forced by the facts that he :

1. is very highly rated in Europe and should command a high price
    2. hasnt lived up to expectations
    3. we have no money

since rafa isnt gonna get the valuation he wants, and barry is looking too expensive, i would be very sure Alonso would stay and play an important part in the team next year. and you never know he might actually go out to prove a point next season and recapture the form we all know he has.

Downing oh great!
    Lets roll out the red carpet for yet another dodgy squad player
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Downing? interesting... i wouldn't have thought he'd be at the standard Pool need, tbh i'd only rate him marginally ahead of Pennant.

Downing is a decent player. We have to accept that this is the type of player who we will be going for. While I would rather sign Messi, its not going to happen. We cant afford Villa, Quaresma, Eto'o, Silva etc. Downing could be a good squad man who's game could develop moving to a big club.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement