Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Xabi Alonso's proposed move to Juventus could be off with the Italian club unwilling to meet Liverpool's £15m valuation. (Daily Express)

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp is still keen on Liverpool striker Peter Crouch, but is unwilling to pay the £10m asking price. (Daily Mirror)

All starting to turn a little sour in the transfer market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

IrishMike wrote: »
    Downing oh great!
    Lets roll out the red carpet for yet another dodgy squad player
    :rolleyes:

Cappello was asked who out of the england squad had impressed him the most and he said downing.

remember he was at boro who only scored more than two goals in a game once this season, they scored 43 goals overall and Downing got 9 goals and 5 assists in the league. that means he was involved in 33% of all their goals. Stevie G was involved in 22/67 nearly the exact same ratio of our goals.

i think downing has the potential to make a step up when surround by better players much more than milner and bentley anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

That'd be the same 10m price Redknapp said a few weeks ago that he'd be interested in doing business at ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i would say Alonso still has a place in the team, i would imagine Rafa not wanting to sell Alonso but his hand being forced by the facts that he :

1. is very highly rated in Europe and should command a high price
    2. hasnt lived up to expectations
    3. we have no money

since rafa isnt gonna get the valuation he wants, and barry is looking too expensive, i would be very sure Alonso would stay and play an important part in the team next year. and you never know he might actually go out to prove a point next season and recapture the form we all know he has.

I think Alonso is a great player, and while he is not spectacular, he makes the midfield tick over. But to me, the fact that he's being moved out to bring in Barry, shows that his days are numbered here. If he was so highly rated in Europe, why have we got a case where we're haggling over £1m with Juve for him. Not a sniff of a bidding war for him. Where are the other takers. £15m for a player of his quality and age is a bargain.

I'd be happy to see him stay, but just cant see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Cappello was asked who out of the england squad had impressed him the most and he said downing.

remember he was at boro who only scored more than two goals in a game once this season, they scored 43 goals overall and Downing got 9 goals and 5 assists in the league. that means he was involved in 33% of all their goals. Stevie G was involved in 22/67 nearly the exact same ratio of our goals.

i think downing has the potential to make a step up when surround by better players much more than milner and bentley anyway.

Yeah was just checkin' Downing's stats from last season, he played all 38 league games and scored 9 goals, which ain't bad.

• Advertisement

IrishMike wrote: »
    Xabi Alonso's proposed move to Juventus could be off with the Italian club unwilling to meet Liverpool's £15m valuation. (Daily Express)

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp is still keen on Liverpool striker Peter Crouch, but is unwilling to pay the £10m asking price. (Daily Mirror)

All starting to turn a little sour in the transfer market

£15m for Alonso, £10m for Crouch, I dont think these figures are excessive, but thanks to Gillet and Hicks, everyone knows we're desperate.
    Just offer Alonso and Crouch to Valencia for Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I think Alonso is a great player, and while he is not spectacular, he makes the midfield tick over. But to me, the fact that he's being moved out to bring in Barry, shows that his days are numbered here. If he was so highly rated in Europe, why have we got a case where we're haggling over £1m with Juve for him. Not a sniff of a bidding war for him. Where are the other takers. £15m for a player of his quality and age is a bargain.

I'd be happy to see him stay, but just cant see it happening.

you may be missing my point, rafa thought he would get a good price for him and be able to replace him with someone slightly better for cheaper, ie sell him for 18 buy barry for 5 plus players and have 13m left over to buy another position. but it hasnt worked out that way so why bother selling alonso for below our valuation, get screwed on the barry deal and still have a load of players we want to get rid of knocking around.

i think rafa saw this going very smoothly but now i reckong if Barry doesnt come in due to whatever reason alonso probably will stay. i would say the same for Carson too i can see him being our no2 next season and i think he'll be happy about it, gives him a year off to rebuild his good reputation which he shattered in about 5 months of rubbish goalkeeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If we are paying 12m for the likes of Downing, surely we could sell a player and bring it up to 18m and get someone truly top class ? Silva would be available for around 18m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I would rather we just spend £3million on Xabi Alonso who we already have, to sort him out proper, give him psychologist or whatever it takes to get the player we had between 2004 and 2006, come on Xabi, we believe in you!! Step up to the mark once again!

you may be missing my point, rafa thought he would get a good price for him and be able to replace him with someone slightly better for cheaper, ie sell him for 18 buy barry for 5 plus players and have 13m left over to buy another position. but it hasnt worked out that way so why bother selling alonso for below our valuation, get screwed on the barry deal and still have a load of players we want to get rid of knocking around.

i think rafa saw this going very smoothly but now i reckong if Barry doesnt come in due to whatever reason alonso probably will stay. i would say the same for Carson too i can see him being our no2 next season and i think he'll be happy about it, gives him a year off to rebuild his good reputation which he shattered in about 5 months of rubbish goalkeeping.

Yeah but my point is, you don't sell a key player unless you get a ridiculous offer that's too good to turn down. We're talking about replacing Alonso with Gareth Barry. A player who's older and in some area's better, other area's worse than Xabi. I take it on board what you say about Rafa trying to free up cash for other signings, but it looks like all of the Alonso Money is going to go on Barry, with a player thrown in too. The fact that we're strengthening an already strong area of the team tells me that Rafa doesn't think Xabi can offer much more to us. Just my opinion of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

£15m for Alonso, £10m for Crouch, I dont think these figures are excessive, but thanks to Gillet and Hicks, everyone knows we're desperate.
    Just offer Alonso and Crouch to Valencia for Villa.

That is the sad truth. Villa claiming that Carson is no longer worth 8-10m, Crouch's valuation some how at one time going from about 12-15m to under 10m, Alonso going from 16m to 12m. Add that to the extortion that some clubs are trying to do to us it is getting quite depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The fact that we're strengthening an already strong area of the team tells me that Rafa doesn't think Xabi can offer much more to us. Just my opinion of it.

Personally, i dont think that Rafa was impressed when xabi didnt travel for the Inter away tie. I said it at the time that i thought Rafa wouldnt be happy at all and him being moved on confirms it for me imo.

One thing that Hicks was right about is that we should have tapped into the commercial market of Asia and America 10 years ago. We were in a sh*t state before the yanks showed up, they just made it worse by pretending they had money when they bought us.

Without having to sell Xabi, we could look at selling:

Riise - 4m
    Crouch - 10m
    Carson - 6m
    Pennant - 6m
    Voronin - 2m
    Finnan - 2m

I think they are realistic figures. That's £30m from player sales that we should be able to generate. I'm assuming the board are making £15 - £20m available.

I'm assuming the board are making £15 - £20m available.

Your first mistake :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Lads I'm seriously seriously worried here.
    If the americans cannot provide the funds...surely they have to sell up. Another refinancing would cripple us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I hope to god those rumours of takeover talks restarting, but being kept quiet and slow are true! We need that so bad its ridiculous.

Did G+H ever explain how they racked up over a million in expenses in their first 6 months in charge? Surely thats something the head of any organisation should be acountable for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I hope to god those rumours of takeover talks restarting, but being kept quiet and slow are true! We need that so bad its ridiculous.

Did G+H ever explain how they racked up over a million in expenses in their first 6 months in charge? Surely thats something the head of any organisation should be acountable for...

er they arent the head they are the owners, they can do what they want:(

i think a lot of it relates to professional fees tho

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Your first mistake :(

How much would you assume is available? £15m - £20m is a relatively small budget. Rafa was told that there would be funds. £10m or less is not a kitty. I assumed (maybe optimistically and incorrectly) that he would have £20m, and if he wanted a bigger kitty he would have to sell.

How much would you assume is available? £15m - £20m is a relatively small budget. Rafa was told that there would be funds. £10m or less is not a kitty. I assumed (maybe optimistically and incorrectly) that he would have £20m, and if he wanted a bigger kitty he would have to sell.

If we had 20million we'd be sorted. 20mill plus 30million min from sales would leave us able to get who we need, top level winger, Dossena, Barry, backup striker. We Don't have 20 million.

Id say no more then 10million before we sell anyone.

If we had 20million we'd be sorted. 20mill plus 30million min from sales would leave us able to get who we need, top level winger, Dossena, Barry, backup striker. We Don't have 20 million.

Id say no more then 10million before we sell anyone.

£10m is probably the lowest transfer budget in the Premiership. Sad state of affairs.

• Advertisement

£10m is probably the lowest transfer budget in the Premiership. Sad state of affairs.

whats worse is that 10mill isn't even money we have. we had to loan it. along with the first installment of stadium money.and yet no stadium work. if it wasn't so sad and depressing it'd be hilarious.

whats worse is that 10mill isn't even money we have. we had to loan it. along with the first installment of stadium money.and yet no stadium work. if it wasn't so sad and depressing it'd be hilarious.

Our club has turned into a joke. Those 2 Americans are only the icing on the cake. Parry and Moores have sold us down the river for the sake of a couple of million pounds. The Glazers came in and done a similar sketchy deal when buying United, but because of the commercial success of the Club in Asia and America, and proper marketing, they can afford the ridiculous interest repayments on their loan. We foolishly looked at United and harped on about Liverpool being a proper peoples club that we didn't need to sell our soul to the devil, we're doing alright as we are thank you.

The truth is we're a laughing stock. A proud club who went and sold our soul anyway and still ended up without a pot to piss in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

if it is true that ye have damn all to spend, i wonder was the money for mascherano and skrtle taken out of this summers transfer budget?

how much was spent on those two, around £20-22 million?

Yeah, that's a fair point. Mascherano cost something like £17m and Skrtel cost £6m. But some of that was made back by the sale of Sissoko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think people are very harsh when criticising Alonso's form over the last couple of seasons. He has been employed in a variety of different systems with various midfield partners, and he's had a couple of serious injuries he's had to get over. He has rarely had a particularly poor game for us, and it's quite understandable that he hasnt reached the heights of his first season for us.

An uninterrupted, injury-free run in a settled first-team would undoubtedly get the best out him again, in my opinion.

I think people are very harsh when criticising Alonso's form over the last couple of seasons. He has been employed in a variety of different systems with various midfield partners, and he's had a couple of serious injuries he's had to get over. He has rarely had a particularly poor game for us, and it's quite understandable that he hasnt reached the heights of his first season for us.

An uninterrupted, injury-free run in a settled first-team would undoubtedly get the best out him again, in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more. His dip in form (and it has dipped) has never gone below average in my opinion. He's a fantastic player.

Barry is also a good player but his value is getting ridiculous. What other midfielders are out there that can play the calm passing game like Alonso that could be realistic targets. What about Joao Moutinho at Sporting Lisbon. Looks a good little player for Portugal.

Juventus Strike Deal With Liverpool For Alonso

Juventus have agreed a deal with Liverpool over Xabi Alonso according to Il Corriere Dello Sport and the player's arrival is imminent.

Xabi Alonso will be a juventus player next season after Jean Claude Blanc agreed a deal with Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez over the Spanish midfielder.

The Old Lady has been involved in on-going talks with the Reds for almost a month now and they have finally settled on a fee.

It is reported that the Merseyside club have agreed to an €18m offer from the Bianconeri and Blanc is set to fly to Liverpool within the next few hours to add the final touches to the deal and it’s is likely that Alonso’s move will be officially announced over the weekend.

Juve are still looking to strengthen despite Alonso’s likely arrival and their attentions have now turned to Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic.

According to Corriere, the 24-year-old defender is a target for Juve as they prepare to add to their backline for next season’s Champions League.

The Old Lady has returned to Europe's best club competition after a two year absence and they want to ensure they have a talented squad able to challenge for all the major honours next term.

18m euros, just over 14m pounds :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Some positive stuff

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/13/premierleague.astonvilla?gusrc=rss&feed=football

Mainly about Barry but the bit of interest
    Liverpool expect to sign the 26-year-old left-back Andrea Dossena from Udinese. They are close to finalising a deal initially worth £6m to the Italian club but potentially £8m with add-ons and the player underwent a medical on Merseyside last week and has agreed personal terms.

Dossena's arrival may coincide with the departure of his fellow left-back John Arne Riise to Roma. Liverpool yesterday agreed a fee of just over £4m for the 27-year-old Norwegian, who must now decide if he wishes to pursue a career in Serie A.

I'd be happy with £4m for Riise.

Basically it would seem £2m for an uprade to Dossenal, which has to be good news

Also potentially much bigger news, but massively teaserish

Basically no interest in Reira

http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?id=11
    There has been mention – and a lot of you guys have been asking about - a possible £9 million bid from Liverpool for Riera of Espanyol. I can certainly guarantee that no such a thing has happened.

Espanyol have not received an offer and Liverpool have not made one. Riera is, no doubt, a player that can easily adapt to Liverpool. For those of you who remember him at Manchester city, you’ll recall that the manager was Stuart Pierce: someone who didn’t have much time for creative players who did not track back.

Riera needs someone to be on top of him constantly, but he is good enough to play for any top four team in the Premier League, provided he can be relieved of his defensive duties.

The problem, at least at the moment, is that Espanyol are not selling anybody (having said that, they can’t stop Kameni form going because his buy out clause is just 6 million euros) and I have the impression that Liverpool are leaking stories about Riera, to hide other targets. As well as Gareth Barry (and the selling of Peter Crouch, Riise, Xabi Alonso and Scott Carson), Rafa is preparing a nice surprise for the fans

The first line highlighted was highlighted in the original article.
    I highlighted the second one.

As well as Gareth Barry (and the selling of Peter Crouch, Riise, Xabi Alonso and Scott Carson), Rafa is preparing a nice surprise for the fans

I know Ballague has a mixedish reputation but he has got some stuff right before, so in light of my optimism today I keeping my fingers crossed.

Some positive stuff

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/13/premierleague.astonvilla?gusrc=rss&feed=football

Basically it would seem £2m for an uprade to Dossenal, which has to be good news

As well as Gareth Barry (and the selling of Peter Crouch, Riise, Xabi Alonso and Scott Carson), Rafa is preparing a nice surprise for the fans

I know Ballague has a mixedish reputation but he has got some stuff right before, so in light of my optimism today I keeping my fingers crossed.

In fairness to Ballague, he has been spot on so far this transfer season. That bit does excite me!

Rafa better have something nice in store because replacing Alonso with Barry and Pennant with Milner is not real progress!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ballague is usually good with his info ... would love if the surprise was somebody like Villa .... We shall see :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Villa! Van Der Varrt! Xavi! Sneijder!

Mike.

GBX wrote: »
    Ballague is usually good with his info ... would love if the surprise was somebody like Villa .... We shall see :D

Ballague said last week that we were not interested in Villa! Hopefully Silva, he would fit into the team better than Villa anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

mike65 wrote: »
    Villa! Van Der Varrt! Xavi! Sneijder!

Mike.

Surely a wide player is needed more than one of these. All great players but hardly the answer to solve the width problem at Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Liverpool and Juventus have finally agreed a £14m deal which will see Xabi Alonso head to Italy. (Il Corriere Dello Sport 1529 BST)

Bye bye Alonso.
    Bit of a crap price too imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

A wide player... please dont let it be Fat Frank ... :D:p

• Advertisement

i was wary of going for villa rather then a winger at first, but after seeing spain last week id love him to come. All 3 of him, Torres and Silva played right across the pitch, all switching between wide left, wide right and down the center, they kept switching everying creating a bit of havok and more importantly, space. Would definately fancy a bit of that alright and could see Babel, Torres and Villa operating similarly. Still dont expect it to be him obviously, but id definately welcome it!

I'm wondering if Barry is in fact a very billowy piece of smoke and mirrors. I reckon the deal will not go ahead and was never meant to (unless he left Villa Park for a "cheap" price). Dunno why I think that.

Mike.

I'm wondering if Barry is in fact a very billowy piece of smoke and mirrors. I reckon the deal will not go ahead and was never meant to (unless he left Villa Park for a "cheap" price). Dunno why I think that.

Mike.

I think you're crazy Mike. There have been comments from Gerrard, Barry, Rafa, O Neil & lots of Barrys team mates in the press. Villa have announced that they have rejected three bids from us. To add to that, we have just agreed a price with Juventus for Alonso.

There is absolutely no way its a smokescreen.

LOLcat3.jpg

Mike.

FLAIL

XD624.jpg

• Advertisement

Mike.

Too much has went on for this to be the case, the only way the deal wont go through is if MON prices Barry out of a deal. Barry is Rafa's first choice target, he had to sacrifice Alonso to make the deal happen.

Having the money suddenly I think we can do better for less. Fickle bastard me, at times.

Mike

Im sure a cheaper foreigner just as good could be found.

there is definately somthing to be said for a player whos already incredibly used to the league and has a good understanding with his midfield partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i will be happy with Barry only if he costs the same of less than Alonso. I dont see the point in paying money we dont have to fill a position we dont need filled.

14m tops for Barry maybe 5+ crouch OR 10+Carson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Some positive stuff

Yesterday Queresma is reported to have said that he has already signed for a big club (http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=733575). Wouldn't that be a "nice surprise" :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What would happen to us if we didnt get Barry and are now losing Alonso? Our strongest position would all of a sudden become one of our weakest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

rosboy wrote: »
    Yesterday Queresma is reported to have said that he has already signed for a big club (http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=733575). Wouldn't that be a "nice surprise" :)

I'd say he's a Inter player tbh

I like Balague, i hope to god he is right.

*please be silva*please be silva*please be silva*

wasnt he saying we were in discussions with valencia not long ago about Silva?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

rosboy wrote: »

Am pretty sure I've seen similar from him for the last 2 or 3 seasons. He's always on the verge of a big move - or so he says

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement