Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I'd take Silva as a second prize, nice ball in for Torres to score tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Could it be Villa?

http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?id=11

The problem, at least at the moment, is that Espanyol are not selling anybody (having said that, they can’t stop Kameni form going because his buy out clause is just 6 million euros) and I have the impression that Liverpool are leaking stories about Riera, to hide other targets. As well as Gareth Barry (and the selling of Peter Crouch, Riise, Xabi Alonso and Scott Carson), Rafa is preparing a nice surprise for the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

They could be leaking it about Riera, but I doubt the same applies to Barry, especially after all Rafa, Gerrard, Martin O'Neill, Doug Ellis are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

from balague's piece the most interesting part (aside from his tease at the end) is Kameni being available for 6million euro's. We should be all over that as our number 2 for a year! Then sell him in a year for much more. very good keeper, worth so much more then that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I keep seeing and hearing stuff that makes me wonder about that surprise signing, tonight David Pleat on ITV dwelt a little longer than he needed to on how Villa would work well with Torres at club level, now Barney Ronay in the Guardian review blog mentions the same thing unless he was taking his cue form Pleat.

Damn it I'm going to lie down in a dark room (well its midnight after all! :D )

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Don't get your hopes up to much just incase its a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Torres aint going anywhere lads.

I wouldn't be so sure, if Chelsea offer him similar wages to John Terry(£140k a week). Happiness is one thing, but in those circumstances, staying at Anfield would be costing FT several million a year in lost wages and if Villa or Kaka was at Chelski then Torres couldn't be blamed for being tempted, I mean its not like he's a local lad and he has only been at Anfield for one season.

Also as ManU could be seeing with Ronaldo, a contract ain't worth spit if a player wants to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

heyjude wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure, if Chelsea offer him similar wages to John Terry(£140k a week). Happiness is one thing, but in those circumstances, staying at Anfield would be costing FT several million a year in lost wages and if Villa or Kaka was at Chelski then Torres couldn't be blamed for being tempted, I mean its not like he's a local lad and he has only been at Anfield for one season.

Also as ManU could be seeing with Ronaldo, a contract ain't worth spit if a player wants to leave.

Call me naive but everything we have seen and heard from Torres from the moment his transfer was sealed up to this point is that he has really immersed himself in "The Liverpool Way" and that with him it really isn't all about the money. I could be wrong but didn't he take a small wage cut coming from Atletico as well? He also clearly has a great relationship with Benitez who was obviously a big factor in luring him to Anfield. Throw in his love of Stevie G and ill take the fact that as you say its only been a year as a positive thing in that he hopefully believes Liverpool are going places and sees himself being a part of that in the years to come.

Maybe a few more trophyless years at Liverpool and he might get restless but for now I thinks its safe to say he is going nowhere.

Now move along :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Kulgan wrote: »
    Call me naive but everything we have seen and heard from Torres from the moment his transfer was sealed up to this point is that he has really immersed himself in "The Liverpool Way" and that with him it really isn't all about the money. I could be wrong but didn't he take a small wage cut coming from Atletico as well? He also clearly has a great relationship with Benitez who was obviously a big factor in luring him to Anfield. Throw in his love of Stevie G and ill take the fact that as you say its only been a year as a positive thing in that he hopefully believes Liverpool are going places and sees himself being a part of that in the years to come.

Maybe a few more trophyless years at Liverpool and he might get restless but for now I thinks its safe to say he is going nowhere.

Spot on. I'd say there's VERY little chance of him going. And even if he ever does go it won't be to Chelsea. It's not like he couldn't get that money somewhere else. He seems to genuinely be the kind of player who revels in fan adoration.

On the subject of a surprise for the fans from Rafa could it be more of a "HA Surprise! We really did pay 10 million for Milner! Bet you weren't expecting that!"... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Kulgan wrote: »

+1
    From all the interviews I've seen/read concerning Torres, I've no doubt in my mind that he, loves Liverpool, loves the fans, loves the team and in time may come to love Mr. Alan. I could never imagine him leaving Liverpool now by choice as he would almost see it as a betrayal, (esp to Chelsea) after the way he's been accepted. He strikes me as being intelligent, level headed and not someone who'd be lured away for a bit of extra cash. He'll be a scouse for years to come. ;)

A bit of extra cash is probably an understatement but you get the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    On the subject of a surprise for the fans from Rafa could it be more of a "HA Surprise! We really did pay 10 million for Milner! Bet you weren't expecting that!"... :(

:pac::pac:LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

heyjude wrote: »

Torres has said he does NOT want to leave.He is a breath of fresh air in the modern game as money isnt his holy grail like say Ronaldo or Lampard etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

He also took a pay cut to join the club... Can't see him moving for wages... Not yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Torres is a hero \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

He won't leave as long as Mr. Alan is around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Listening to Torres in interviews etc, I'd say it's very, very doubtful that he would leave Liverpool for Chelsea - even if the yanks did accept the bid.

To wet your knickers a little bit more:
    Villa Tempted By Liverpool Move
    Spanish striker David Villa has admitted that the prospect of moving to England and playing for Liverpool is an attractive one, stating that the idea of linking up with former Valencia coach Rafael Benítez is tempting...

“Liverpool and Chelsea are both big clubs with a lot of attraction,” he said before adding, “Liverpool have a Spanish coach and I also have a lot of friends there.”

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is clearly a fan of the striker having previously tried, unsuccessfully, to sign Villa when he was Valencia manager, something Villa is aware of. He said: “When Rafa was coach at Valencia and I was at Zaragoza there was contact about me joining Valencia but I couldn’t arrive until the year after he left there.”

http://jp.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=737003

I don't know the source of these quotes, but it's certainly encouraging. Could we really sign Villa? I've been harsh on him in the past, but he is winning me over with his performances in the Euros!

Tee hee hee wet knickers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Listening to Torres in interviews etc, I'd say it's very, very doubtful that he would leave Liverpool for Chelsea - even if the yanks did accept the bid.

To wet your knickers a little bit more:

http://jp.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=737003

I don't know the source of these quotes, but it's certainly encouraging. Could we really sign Villa? I've been harsh on him in the past, but he is winning me over with his performances in the Euros!

Interesting .. We "could" sign him if the yanks got there fingers out... or sold out to DIC and they stumped up the cash... Id love to see him join ... not holding too much hope though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I defo think 1 big signing is a possibility. While there is gonna be feck all cash available, I still reckon there will be at least 15 or 20 million in the kitty.. Add that to what Rafa is gonna get from player sales and you are talking at least 40 million or so..

My only worry about Villa is that it might upset out system. If so, that would minimise the positive effect of signing a player of Villa's quality and may not have any real benefit. His signing could require the signing of 2 or 3 support players..

Saying that, the more players of his calibre, the better.

• Advertisement

It would be brilliant to sign him, Torres may be able to convince him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Those guotes in that goal article sound very much like they were taken from an interview Villa did about a month back (maybe even earlier) when he mentioned liking Arsenal's style of play as well. So there is nothing new there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Those guotes in that goal article sound very much like they were taken from an interview Villa did about a month back (maybe even earlier) when he mentioned liking Arsenal's style of play as well. So there is nothing new there.

yup spot on, I think its from 2 or 3 months ago. According to BBC's transfer gossip marchena said he wouldnt be surprised if villa came to Liverpool, paraphrased there btw. I just have this feeling that after the euros we will find we have already signed villa or silva, there hasn't been much transfer gossip about silva and I expect him to leave and there has been so much said about villa and Liverpool. I may be optimistic but its better than hearing about riera or milner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Those quotes are actually from 2007, it turns out. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

WEEEEEEE - Finally an actual, real link!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3693685,00.html

Villa admits Reds interest
    Liverpool temptation for Spanish ace

Spanish star David Villa has hinted he would like to move to Liverpool, if he heads to England this summer.

The Valencia striker has lit up Euro 2008 with four goals in their opening two group games.

A host of clubs are tracking Villa with Liverpool and Chelsea reported to be heading the queue for the diminutive front-man.

Villa, who has linked up so well with current Reds star Fernando Torres for Spain, admits he would be tempted by the prospect of playing with him on a weekly basis.

"Liverpool and Chelsea are both big clubs with a lot of attraction," he told the News of the World.

Villa also admitted that Liverpool's Spanish coach Rafa Benitez could play a big role in attracting him as he tried to sign him earlier in his career.

"Liverpool have a Spanish coach and I also have a lot of friends there," he said.

"When Rafa was coach at Valencia and I was at Zaragoza there was contact about me joining Valencia but I couldn't arrive until the year after he left there."

I fear that Chelsea would oubid us by a fair margin though. Actually wait...are they the same quotes ? I dont remember him mentioning Chelsea in the previous interview so I think they are new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

You're right Tusky - previous quotes iirc he mentioned Liverpool & Arsenal saying he'd a lot of friends at Liverpool and liked the way Arsenal played or something along those lines.

• Advertisement

Tusky, NekkidBibleMan just posted that story and if you read the post right above yours you will find that they are the quotes from an interview given ages back that keep being rehashed.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    Tusky, NekkidBibleMan just posted that story and if you read the post right above yours you will find that they are the quotes from an interview given ages back that keep being rehashed.

He posted a story from goal.com which is probably the most unreliable website on the internet. Mine is a different story and is from skysports.com. The quote about "Chelsea & Liverpool" is not from the old interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Call_me_al wrote: »

tuskys quote came from sky sports, heres the headline and the date

Villa admits Reds interest
    Liverpool temptation for Spanish ace
    Last updated: 15th June 2008

Sorry to be a party pooper lads but;

tuskys;
    "Liverpool and Chelsea are both big clubs with a lot of attraction," he told the News of the World.

Villa also admitted that Liverpool's Spanish coach Rafa Benitez could play a big role in attracting him as he tried to sign him earlier in his career.

"Liverpool have a Spanish coach and I also have a lot of friends there," he said.

"When Rafa was coach at Valencia and I was at Zaragoza there was contact about me joining Valencia but I couldn't arrive until the year after he left there."

and unfortunately from last year;
    http://www.premiershiplatest.com/news/spain-striker-david-villa-aware-of-liver-551490.html
    Submitted by Niraj Prabhu on Tue, 2007-03-06 14:24.

"They (Liverpool and Chelsea) are two big teams and both have a lot of attraction," the Daily Star has quoted Villa say.

"Liverpool don't just have a coach who is Spanish but I also have a lot of friends there.

"When Rafa was coach at Valencia and I was at Zaragoza, there was contact about me joining Valencia. But I couldn't arrive until the year after he left.

Could be that he's just repeating himself almost exactly a year later, but it just smacks of lazy journalism...

I think the long wait for a real link continues!

Arg - right you are Rebel. Ive never seen that interview in which he speaks of Chelsea and Liverpool, only the only were he talks about Arsenal & Liverpool . Hence the confusion.

Ah well, let the depression about signing top top players like Downing and Milner continue then. Speaking of which...

Milner appeals for 'dream move' to Anfield :(:(:(

FORMER Leeds United United trainee James Milner is reported to have pleaded with Newcastle United not to block his 'dream move' to Liverpool.

According to a report in the News of the World newspaper, the Magpies' winger is keen on a switch to Merseyside.

Reds manager Rafa Benitez is reported to have offered midfielder Danny Guthrie, 21, as part payment in the latest move by Liverpool.

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill is also believed to be still keen on taking the record-capped England Under-21 star to the West Midlands.

A move away from St James's Park has been rumoured since the end of the season.

However, Newcastle value the player at £7m and it is this figure which appears to be holding up any possible deal, along with Newcastle's determination to line up a replacement.

http://www.newsguardian.co.uk/newcastleunited/Milner-appeals-for-39dream-move39.4187004.jp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Damn you, i just ordered my villa jersey :D

Tusky wrote: »
    Arg - right you are Rebel. Ive never seen that interview in which he speaks of Chelsea and Liverpool, only the only were he talks about Arsenal & Liverpool . Hence the confusion.

Ah well, let the depression about signing top top players like Downing and Milner continue then.

Awful stuff out of Skysports though! really would have expected a little better out of them. I'm finding this summer especially their 'journalism' isn't stretching beyond cut and pasting from other websites.

On your Milner link there, there are a few positives to be taken from that, especially that pool value him less then 7mill, and that Guthrie is part of it. Decent move for him and lets us use Pennant for another move or straight sale.

In fairness, the guy is 21. if we had a player exactly the same as him in our reserve's we'd be demanding he be given more playing time, just like we have at times with Anderson who has far less experience. (Having said that I DO still want Anderson given a go! :) )

Id have no problem with Milner joining, once we got a better winger/WF as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

just a few coinincedences happening re david villa.... the number 7 jersey is now up for grabs, he dedicates his 3rd goal the other da to torres, reina helped him to keep the match ball that day, after scoring the winner against sweden he made a bee-line towards reina, things that make you go hmmmm.

I am in no way suggesting that david villa is signing or has already signed for liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

stick-dan wrote: »
    Damn you, i just ordered my villa jersey :D

Well if it says "Barry" on the back maybe it will be okay.

hope you get the joke

Tusky wrote: »
    He posted a story from goal.com which is probably the most unreliable website on the internet. Mine is a different story and is from skysports.com. The quote about "Chelsea & Liverpool" is not from the old interview.

the exact same quotes and both old, hate to say I told you so coz it would be amazing to sign villa. It would be the best striker pairing the prem has ever seen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Scum Of The World at it again.
    LUIZ FELIPE SCOLARI is ready to smash the UK transfer record with a £40million bid for Liverpool’s Fernando Torres.

New Chelsea boss ‘Big Phil’ (right) is determined to test the resolve of Liverpool owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett with the sort of offer they can’t refuse.

He will make room for the Spanish star by using Didier Drogba as part of the deal to take Deco from Barcelona to Stamford Bridge.

Then Scolari will go all-out to snatch Torres, who enhanced his reputation with Spain’s opener against Sweden yesterday.

The move for the man who scored 33 goals for Liverpool last season has already been discussed with Roman Abramovich, who has instructed Peter Kenyon to test the Reds’ resolve.

Kenyon wants to exploit the unrest on Merseyside between the Americans, who backed Kop boss Rafael Benitez with the £21.5m to sign the Spanish striker last summer.

Scolari is encouraged by reports that the Torres camp has privately admitted the 24-year-old would be interested in a switch to Stamford Bridge.

A Chelsea insider revealed: “Scolari is well aware it will be a real battle to try to get Torres out of Liverpool.

“But he’s ready to make the sort of bid that will make even the Americans sit up and take notice.

“Obviously he knows that Liverpool don’t want to sell one of their star assets but he still believes he can exploit the trouble and turmoil at Anfield to get his man.”
    http://blogs.notw.co.uk/sport/2008/06/40m-torres-for.html

Will they ever Kop on!!!(:p)

Loved this part though....."Scolari is encouraged by reports that the Torres camp has privately admitted the 24-year-old would be interested in a switch to Stamford Bridge."

Complete BS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rofl. They were offering 50 million a few weeks ago, he has since shined bright at the Euros and his price falls?! :p

Telegraph manage top combine both stories to comic effect.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/06/15/ufnfernando115.xml
    Meanwhile, should Torres be sold, the man to replace him at Liverpool could be none other than his Spain teammate David Villa.

Villa has attracted attention at Euro 2008 with some eye-catching performances, and Benitez is known to be a big fan of the Valencia forward.

Villa, currently valued at £25 million, is keen to experience Premier League football, and working under a Spanish coach is a key selling point.

Villa said: "Liverpool and Chelsea are both big clubs with a lot of attraction. Liverpool have a Spanish coach and I also have a lot of friends there.

Mike.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Awful stuff out of Skysports though! really would have expected a little better out of them. I'm finding this summer especially their 'journalism' isn't stretching beyond cut and pasting from other websites.

On your Milner link there, there are a few positives to be taken from that, especially that pool value him less then 7mill, and that Guthrie is part of it. Decent move for him and lets us use Pennant for another move or straight sale.

In fairness, the guy is 21. if we had a player exactly the same as him in our reserve's we'd be demanding he be given more playing time, just like we have at times with Anderson who has far less experience. (Having said that I DO still want Anderson given a go! :) )

Id have no problem with Milner joining, once we got a better winger/WF as well.

I'd much rather keep Pennant. The mass influx of players each year isnt doing the team any good. Quality additions or no additions at all in my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

mike65 wrote: »
    Telegraph manage top combine both stories to comic effect.

I'm just waiting for some paper to come out in one article and say that we're selling Torres, to buy Villa, Barry, Milner, Riera, Downing, Bentley, and Silva.
    In an elaborate series of swap deals for Crouch, Pennant, Riise, Finnan, Itange, Guthrie, and Voronin.
    That the new stadium is going to be a groundshare with Everton, and the naming rights of the stadium have been sold to The Sun!!!
    And that Rick is leaving, Rafa is leaving, Bill and George are leaving, DIC are coming, and we're hiring Alex Ferguson as our new manager!!!!!!!

All in one article.

Then we'll know that the crappy transfer journalism has reached its peak!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Breaking News on Sky Sports; they claim that David Bentley has told them that he wants to leave Blackburn. Since we have to be realistic about our budget and the fact that he has been linked, what's everyone's thoughts about Bentley?

• Advertisement

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Breaking News on Sky Sports; they claim that David Bentley has told them that he wants to leave Blackburn. Since we have to be realistic about our budget and the fact that he has been linked, what's everyone's thoughts about Bentley?

depends on what we're looking for, if its a top top player, i'd prefer we went for Silva, but if thats not an option id be pretty happy with Bentley. Dont think it'll happen though, judging by Tony Barrett saying we weren't interested.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Not good enough but given the lack of cash we may have to settle for him.

Bentley would probably cost around 15m. We could most likely get someone better for that price. I definitely rate him above Milner and Downing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I hear what you guys are saying. It does have a feeling of "settling for 2nd best" again. Silva would be the 1st choice. I was very impressed with his control of the ball, his composure on the ball, and most of all his strength on the ball against Sweden. But, we are looking at a price tag of above £20m. This is the worst thing about the Americans. We got the big takeover, but we're still being forced to settle for 2nd rate. It's humiliating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

He would be a very good signing for you imo. In a different league to the likes of Pennant and Milner

No No and No. Im getting sick of all these storys linking us to average English players.There is a reason why they are not at Euro 08. The press like to blame Mc Clown because he was an easy target but the hard harsh truth is that English players are leagues behind the best in Europe technically and bentley is not even an England first teamer.Say's it all IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

gixerfixer wrote: »
    No No and No. Im getting sick of all these storys linking us to average English players.There is a reason why they are not at Euro 08. The press like to blame Mc Clown because he was an easy target but the hard harsh truth is that English players are leagues behind the best in Europe technically and bentley is not even an England first teamer.Say's it all IMO.

How do you explain 10 english internationals starting the CL final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

gixerfixer wrote: »

Sorry but thats a bit of poo right there... I mean Italy are doing shocking in Euro 2008 but there's still a fair few Italians I woudln't mind signing!! Same with the French...

Bentley is a decent player but I don't think we'd be in for him. In relation to the post earlier about the potential (still not going to happen btw) signing of Silva disrupting our formation would that make the Milner etc link a bit more sane given we'd be switching to 4-4-2 probably and would nid actual wide midfielders?

Although I still think we'd line up...

Barry
    Massa

---Villa
    Stevie
    Babel--

Nando

With a lot of interchanging up front (attempting to emulate Uniteds style of play...

Unearthly wrote: »
    How do you explain 10 english internationals starting the CL final

Lucky year simple as that.If anyone thinks that English players are technically adapt then thats just fine,everyone's got an opinion and i respect that,but IMO they are not up there with other nations. I mean there is no doubt the media hype them up to be the greatest thing since sliced bread but come on they can hardly spring 5 passes together as a team. But like i said it's only my opinion :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I am not sure what it is they are required to adapt to. I do think that there are plenty of very good english players and I also think that Bentley would do a great job for us over a season. would prefer to see Villa mind

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement