Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I am not sure what it is they are required to adapt to. I do think that there are plenty of very good english players and I also think that Bentley would do a great job for us over a season. would prefer to see Villa mind

I think he meant adept... Have to agree though, I think Bentley would do a job, we aren't gonna get a world class winger imo but do we really need a world class one! Two or three steps up from Pennant will do fine... And lets not forget when we talk about summer signings that Agger is back now. If we signed a CB of his quality we'd be jumping around the kitchen!!

Still need a few wingers though... grumble grumble grumble... trying to stay positive but it's fuppin hard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Not that hard, Pennant as a reserve with one very good winger would make a big difference. If we had Bentley I am not sure that pennant would stick around but as has been shown again and again, Kuyt offers a bit more than a lot of wingers in that he can pop up with some decent goals and is good heading towards his own goal too.

Bentley would be a good signing, babel can play on the left and if we got another player who could pop up with a few when we have a 2nd/3rd man up top then that would not be too bad.

Yeah but I don't want not bad, we need to challenge soon I feel or it's just gonna get harder. I'm under no illusions about our chances next season (it's highly unlikely that we'll win the league) but we need to get a bit closer. I guess solice can be taken from the fact that points wise we were close last year and that in general the transfer market seems a bit weak this year in general.

I would just love us to have some owners who were prepared to say "here's 60million go buy who you want and sell who want, all transfers are in yoru hands Rafa " although I'd like someone else to actually handle the contract negotiations to a degree, as great as the man is we don't want to overload the guy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

We need to stop aiming for players that 'wouldnt be bad signings'. Its our downfall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tusky wrote: »
    We need to stop aiming for players that 'wouldnt be bad signings'. Its our downfall!

very true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

as regards winning the league. i think if we cannot do it while we have carragher, gerrard and torres in the same team it could become near impossible without something major happening!!! the planets realligning or summit...obviously we need more than those 3 but you get my point

Tusky wrote: »

Every team makes these signings though. It's just that United and Chelsea have the money to sign those players as supplements whereas we are basically trying to get a squad capable of surviving injuries and competing.

I think we as fans forget that we HAVE to finish in the top four. We can't sell a few players and go out and buy 2 as that would leave us woefully short on cover if we picked up a few injuries. Would it really be worth the risk to go that route end up with a bad two months due to a spate of unlucky injuries and not get a champions league spot because of it?? If that happened the board would be hopping with people slating Rafa for not buying cover! I mean it basically happened last year with regards to defensive cover when Agger got injured!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Just a bit of the usual "no Torres sale" stuff from Parry in the Echo.
    The Alonso bit at the end is interesting though.
    LIVERPOOL have moved swiftly to stamp out any speculation regarding the future of Fernando Torres.

Luiz Felipe Scolari's appointment as new Chelsea manager, coupled with the unlimited transfer pot he is set to be handed, has sparked a fresh wave of transfer stories – with Milan's Kaka and Liverpool's Torres topping the tabloid shopping lists.

But Reds chief executive Rick Parry has reacted sharply in a bid to prevent any escalation of unsettling stories.

"The only interest we have had in Fernando Torres seems to have been generated by certain newspapers," he said.

"We have certainly had no contact whatsoever from Chelsea. Any speculation suggesting otherwise is categorically untrue.

"But if they were to make contact they would receive a very short answer. Fernando Torres is not for sale."

Rafa Benitez moved to spike speculation about an imminent bid from Stamford Bridge for Torres three weeks ago when Avram Grant was still boss.

Now that Scolari has taken his place further stories resurfaced yesterday, with one even suggesting that one of Liverpool's American owners was prepared to sell the Spanish striker while the other was not.

Parry is keen to stamp out these stories instantly.

Meanwhile, reports that the Reds had accepted an increased bid from Juventus for midfielder Xabi Alonso have puzzled officials at Anfield.

According to Corriere dello Sport, Juve had increased their offer to 18 million euros (£14.25m) and Liverpool had agreed.

But while avenues for discussion are still open between Juve and Liverpool, the clubs were "miles apart" in their respective valuations yesterday.

Juventus' capture of Palermo's Brazilian striker Amauri has left them strapped for the cash necessary to complete the Alonso deal.

After one of the longest transfer sagas in history, Amauri eventually joined the Turin club for £18m a fortnight ago, but they are now struggling to meet Liverpool's £15m valuation of Alonso.

Liverpool's proposed capture of Andreas Dossena has still not been confirmed, but no problems are anticipated with the £7m transfer of the Italian full-back from Udinese.

Some outstanding paperwork still needs to be completed following the player's successful medical at Melwood earlier this month.
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/06/14/chelsea-bid-for-fernando-torres-bid-is-fiction-100252-21072449/

At least we know that Xabi isn't going for only £14,000,000.

mormank wrote: »
    as regards winning the league. i think if we cannot do it while we have carragher, gerrard and torres in the same team it could become near impossible without something major happening!!! the planets realligning or summit...obviously we need more than those 3 but you get my point

I love the lad and he's a legend but he needs to learn how to pass the ball along the ground! In all honesty Agger is our top centerhalf these days (If the dipso can ever get fit!!).

dunno about agger bein our top centre half. carra is a giant!!! agger has only had one season with us wher he didnt even start every game..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

another possibility for our suprise?
    Thierry Henry has once again revealed his admiration for Liverpool supporters after hailing Anfield as his favourite away ground in the world.
    The France striker, who was speaking at the launch of Reebok's 'Your move' campaign in Barcelona recently, believes England boasts a number of atmospheric stadiums but insists he has never experienced anywhere with the same passion as on the red half of Merseyside.

"For my first few years at Arsenal we didn't do well there, but we improved," he said.

"It's the atmosphere I love. It's unbelievable. I've played in a lot of stadiums but for me there is nothing like playing at Liverpool.

"Nothing can beat Highbury, of course, but playing at Anfield was great. The fans always sing and hold up their scarves before and after the game - whether they have won or lost.

"It must be amazing if you are a Liverpool player."

i'd take him in a second being honest.

As would I, intelligent, not as quick over the ground as he used to be but spots things and makes openings at others don't. Wonder would Rafa take him though, not exactly the kind of character they are used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Just a bit of the usual "no Torres sale" stuff from Parry in the Echo.
    The Alonso bit at the end is interesting though.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/06/14/chelsea-bid-for-fernando-torres-bid-is-fiction-100252-21072449/

At least we know that Xabi isn't going for only £14,000,000.

I would not put pass on what Parry says as he is not in a very strong position at the moment. Benitez will want to keep Torres but who knows what the yanks will do if they are offered big money for him ? £50 million would just cover Liverpools loses this year, they might be tempted .

just outa curiosity what would ppl think about somebody like SWP coming playin for us?? i know there has been no link but i just wanna gauge a reaction.

also, henry would be welcomed with open arms by me too!!!

lads, can we please stop with any talk of Torres leaving.

Its just not going to happen. More likely we'll sign Ronaldo from the mancs that Torres leaving us this summer.

All parties involved have denied its even a possibility, incl Torres,Rafa,Parry and Hicks.

Its just not going to happen-its a waste of bandwidth, time and energy discussing it.

Rafa;
    The situation is very simple - we do not want to sell Fernando Torres. I am not aware of any offer being made by Chelsea but even if there was (a £50m offer) my answer would be the same - he is not for sale.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3617198,00.html

Torres;
    ”I have no intention of leaving. We have to focus our energies to give the little step we need to get to the top teams. If we only improve the team a little, we are going to manage to do so.I want to say very clearly that I’m not on the market and it is my desire to continue at Liverpool.I am very happy at Liverpool and want to carry on.”

http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=735874

Hicks;
    But Hicks told The Daily Telegraph in an email yesterday that no amount of money could persuade them to part company with Torres."We would never consider it," he said.When asked whether he believed Chelsea were using the Torres story to deflect attention from the fall-out from Grant's sacking and to destabilise a rival, he replied, "absolutely".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2008/05/27/sfnliv127.xml

Parry;
    "Fernando Torres is just not for sale to anyone. It is as simple as that, really - he is not going anywhere.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/14/premierleague.chelsea

so please, lets just end all the talk now, its a story in the news of the world for ****s sake :( totally made up bull**** nonense ****e crap steaming lies.

also worth noting that the article in the NOTW was written by Rob Beasley.....anyone remember that name?

He is the man Rafa refered to as a liar and took legal action against. This is man who went on a massive rant on national television about how he dislikes Rafa....some of the highlights of which;
    I think this is classic Benitez,” said Beasley, “he behaves at times like a petulant spoilt brat. One of his favourite ploys is to give these secret little briefings where he asks journalists to turn off their microphones and he then gives them a bit of inside information.He’s certainly got a problem with the new owners, he’s spent a lot of money and now he wants more. The thing about Benitez that annoys me is not just his petulance, but nothing is ever his fault.But when things go well it’s always to his credit and nobody else’s and I don’t like that in a manager. He’s made a classic mistake of believing his own publicity. He’s had a degree of success at Liverpool - nothing in the Premier League - they haven’t won the championship since 1989-90 and that’s a long time for Liverpool not to be the dominant force in English football. Yes he’s had Champions League success once and they won the FA Cup under Benitez, but that’s not the success that is expected at Liverpool. I’m not a fan of Benitez the manager and Benitez the person.”

he is quite clearly making up **** to unsettle Fernando, thankfully Fernando is not that way inclined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Mr Alan wrote: »
    another possibility for our suprise?

Oh please no.He is two seasons past his best.Id only take him if they take Voro in a straight swap :)

did henry score 19 goals last season? struggling with injuries and playing on the wing?

yea he is ****e :rolleyes:

would really help Babels development as well i reckon.

cant see it happening though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Mr Alan wrote: »

......from behind :pac:

sorry, couldn't resist.

tbh, I'd have him at Anfield. This time of the year wrecks my head tho' with transfer speculation, even more so when there's Euro/World Cup competition on.

Agreed, is crazy season alright. Teams with money to spend and holes to fill will be linked with anyone who is looking a bit tasty.

christ that would be something beautiful though

Torres
    Henry--Gerrard--Babel
    Barry--Masch

Mmmmmmm

Dont think he'd join another premiership club besides Arsenal though...but you can never say never in football...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I'd rate Bentley at a step or two ahead of Downing and probably three ahead ahead of Milner.

When we were first linked to him, there was no way I could see Mark Hughes leaving him go. Now however things are changed.

I think Blackburn would still be keen to hang on to him, but I definately think Bentley would be a lot more interested especially with the opportunity of playing Champions League. However I'm not sure what kind of price we'd have to pay Blackburn.

Given that I cant see Kuyt or Benayoun going anywhere and the fact that we well could have one of Pennant or Milner next season, I'd be surprised if we did end up with him.

Regarding Henry i can see it making sense - he hasnt looked happy with Barcelona yet still provided an impressive goal/assist treat. Given reports that his daughter is in England with his divorced wife, I think England is his likeliest destination if he does move. Of the top English teams I think Liverpool is his only realistic option - def cant see him going back to Arsenal, don't think Chelsea would be interested (not enough of a name player at the moment, don't think he would be interested in playing for them) can't see him going to Utd given their current attaking options. There is also the chance that he might end up with one of the smaller London clubs - West Ham, Fulham maybe?

I do think he could fit a kind of super-sub role. He's moving on now and from what I saw of him in the Crzzzee French team he didnt look like Classic Henry. On the left our attacking options aren't that deep - Babel, Benayoun Barry (assuming he signs) fair enough, but after that we're looking a little light. As someone said earlier think Babel could learn a lot from him. Also have heard he's quite pally with Gerrard.

On the left-hand side I don't think we'll see Dossena much in the mid-field ; just a bit of a hunch but I would be surprised.

On the downside Henry seems to be on the decline somewhat. However I wonder if a move back to England might revitalise him. The atmosphere at Anfield with Rafa seems a million miles ahead of the atmosphere around Barcelona last season. Given that Arsene has moved him on I'd be a little wary. However there is the possibility {depending on what happens at Barcelona } that we could pick him up somewhat cheaply. He might also be willing to be flexible on his wages if it seemshim back in England.

Given the fact of our finances, this is one that pasts the possibly plausible test in my eyes.

Also remember Rafa talking about the player who was able to speak English, but wasnt English? Va va voom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

mormank wrote: »
    dunno about agger bein our top centre half. carra is a giant!!! agger has only had one season with us wher he didnt even start every game..

Obviously Carra is a legend at the club and will always be held in that regard, but does anyone else agree that in the past 1-2 seasons everything seems a bit 'last ditch' with him. He was never the most graceful footballing centre back and he never will.
    Love him to bits but I would have to start with Agger and Skrtel at CB next season. Maybe Carra fullback, I'm not sure yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I hope that we'll see Carra back to his best if he's played alongside Agger next season. The two have a great understanding and compliment each other very well.

Carra had a poor season by his recent standards, but he was playing beside an aging Hyypia and Skrtel, who was just off the back of a long season and adjusting to a new system, a new team and a new league. Due to injuries, he also had to play at right-back at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Why are ye not getting mad excited about David Villa?

Surely him and Torres up front would be mint,

He has stated his interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He stated his interest about 9 months ago, and the News of the World recycled those quotes, which was then picked up by Skysports.com, Goal.com etc.

unfortunately its just lazy lazy journalism making up a story where none exists. Those exact quotes were in papers back in summer 2007. One paper resurrected them and the rest simply copy and pasted.

Even if he did wanna come, its not looking like we could afford him.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd be getting excited if there was any real chance of it happening. About as much chance of that happening as Carra being top scorer next season though sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

To me, Henry was the best foreign player to grace the premiership. Obviously, this could be turned into a huge debate but I'm not trying to go there. It's just my opinion so if he were to express interest in coming to Anfield and Barca were willing to offload him for a decent price, I can't think of any reason why not. Can't imagine thinking that it'd be a bad buy when he's more than proved himself in the EPL and our other options bar Torres are Voronin and Crouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

From the BBC:
    Valencia striker David Villa, who is being targeted by Chelsea, insists he wants to stay in Spain, saying he would reject a big-money move to London in favour of Real Madrid or Barcelona (Various).

I'd much prefer that than to see him move to Chelsea or Man U anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

Don't think I'd fancy signing Henry to be honest. He plays in too similar a way to Torres. Both like to come from the left and play on the shoulder of the defence. There was huge criticism of Henry in France before the Euro's when he was paired with Benzema, as they were making the same runs and getting in each others way. Plus cant see him wanting to play on the left hand side of our attack as he stated that as a reason he found it difficult to settle in Barca. His ego is too big to accept a role other than that of the main striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Liverpool have accepted an offer of £4m for John Arne Riise, while negotiations about Xabi Alonso's sale to Juventus are ongoing. (The Guardian)

£4m is better than the £3m previously quoted.

Reports that Barry will be signed for £15m this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Don't think I'd fancy signing Henry to be honest. He plays in too similar a way to Torres. Both like to come from the left and play on the shoulder of the defence. There was huge criticism of Henry in France before the Euro's when he was paired with Benzema, as they were making the same runs and getting in each others way. Plus cant see him wanting to play on the left hand side of our attack as he stated that as a reason he found it difficult to settle in Barca. His ego is too big to accept a role other than that of the main striker.
    This has nothing to do with LFC but wasn't Henry at his best for Arsenal when coming in off the left?

Torres and Henry dont play in a similiar way at all.
    Torres plays on the shoulder, Henry likes to drop to the left and run at people.
    He could become the new Kuyt if he joined except on the left!!!!!!!!!!!!!

malice_ wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with LFC but wasn't Henry at his best for Arsenal when coming in off the left?

Yeah, but in a central strikers role. Similar to Torres really, drifts out between the full back and centre half and then bursts into the box. Henry was absolutely brilliant at it. But if he was to come to Liverpool, he wouldn't be the main striker. He would be the left sided attacking player. He would have a lot more defensive duties that he wouldn't have at Barca. I just don't think it is what we need, as I reckon there is no way he would come cheap. While he may have struggled at Barca, he was still their top scorer, so they would be looking for a sizable fee if he was to go.

Kuyt has phenominal workrate which Henry doesn't have. Henry would only be happy in a centre forward role with no expectations to defend. I don't think he would be happy signing on as a left winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

IrishMike wrote: »
    He could become the new Kuyt if he joined except on the left!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah not at all, I don't think this henry fella has the potential to turn into the 2009 Balloon D'Or winner that is the Dirk Destroyer :D (i still have to put that 50p bet on!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Yeah, but in a central strikers role. Similar to Torres really, drifts out between the full back and centre half and then bursts into the box. Henry was absolutely brilliant at it. But if he was to come to Liverpool, he wouldn't be the main striker. He would be the left sided attacking player. He would have a lot more defensive duties that he wouldn't have at Barca. I just don't think it is what we need, as I reckon there is no way he would come cheap. While he may have struggled at Barca, he was still their top scorer, so they would be looking for a sizable fee if he was to go.

Kuyt has phenominal workrate which Henry doesn't have. Henry would only be happy in a centre forward role with no expectations to defend. I don't think he would be happy signing on as a left winger.

TBH it's not as if Babel did a whole lot of tracking back / defending last year. Henry would be a class signing. He and Torres don't really play the same role. Villa and Torres play up front for Spain with Villa taking up that left wing/striker position with Nando up top.
    Wouldn't ask him to play left wing in a 4-4-2 but if we were playing that formation he would slot in up front.

I have seen a bit of him this year and I think he can still do the business. Everything just didn't click with Barca. He has played pretty well though and had a bit of bad luck on the field.

Pennant and babbel are not eactly amazing at their defensive duties either.
    Having barry and mascherano will allow the team to be more attacking as
    they are both excellent at breaking up attacks and have good stamina.
    Definitely think Henry would work very very well in Liverpools system.
    He played a similiar position at barca and didnt look out of place despite
    being 25 yards further from goal than he was at Arsenal.

ibh wrote: »
    TBH it's not as if Babel did a whole lot of tracking back / defending last year. Henry would be a class signing. He and Torres don't really play the same role. Villa and Torres play up front for Spain with Villa taking up that left wing/striker position with Nando up top.
    Wouldn't ask him to play left wing in a 4-4-2 but if we were playing that formation he would slot in up front.

I have seen a bit of him this year and I think he can still do the business. Everything just didn't click with Barca. He has played pretty well though and had a bit of bad luck on the field.

Torres does not look to pose the threat for Spain that he does for us, maybe its because Villa is taking up the positions he likes ie. the left side of the attack.

I disagree about Babel, I think he done a fair bit of tracking back. He admitted that it took him a few months to get used to playing on the Left for Liverpool due to the defensive duties he had. At Ajax and Holland, The left wingers didn't have to come back past the halfway line. He has had to adjust to that and he admitted it was hard.

Henry is still a good player, I just dont think he would suit us right now. If we're going for a forward we need a 2nd striker to compliment Nando, not an egotistical (former) superstar who could upset the applecart.

Babel and Pennant have added defensive duties to their games. They may not be the best defensively but they get back to make up numbers. Whether we like it or not, Rafa demands his wingers to track back and do a shift defensively. Signing a great player like Henry is all well and good if you want to build your play around him. At Liverpool he would just be another cog in the machine. Henry is not a team player, he's an individual and doesn't fit into Rafa's team and work ethic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

If Henry is available cheap I think he would come to Anfield, and I think he would be a good option. If we are playing one up front we currently have Torres for that role... and if Crouch goes then no-one else. Would Henry be happy to be second-choice? Given Rafa's rotation, I think between resting Torres to keep him fresh and occasionally playing 2 up front he would get plenty of games.

Don't forget Henry didn't see himself as being ideally the main goal-poacher for Arsenal, leading to Wenger signing Franny Jeffers. Ok, so that didn't work out :)
    but Torres is a far better player.

Villa has also stated that he would like to play in the Premiership, and that he'd like to move to a Spanish club. Sounds like Liverpool to me :D it's just a question of whether we can afford him.

it's just a question of whether we can afford him.

Computer says "no"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think this is classic Benitez,” said Beasley, “he behaves at times like a petulant spoilt brat. One of his favourite ploys is to give these secret little briefings where he asks journalists to turn off their microphones and he then gives them a bit of inside information.He’s certainly got a problem with the new owners, he’s spent a lot of money and now he wants more. The thing about Benitez that annoys me is not just his petulance, but nothing is ever his fault.But when things go well it’s always to his credit and nobody else’s and I don’t like that in a manager. He’s made a classic mistake of believing his own publicity. He’s had a degree of success at Liverpool - nothing in the Premier League - they haven’t won the championship since 1989-90 and that’s a long time for Liverpool not to be the dominant force in English football. Yes he’s had Champions League success once and they won the FA Cup under Benitez, but that’s not the success that is expected at Liverpool. I’m not a fan of Benitez the manager and Benitez the person.”

6jwk55l.gif6jwk55l.gif6jwk55l.gif6jwk55l.gif

What a tool. I love how this guy accuses Benitez of Underhand tactics when his paper (and its sister paper) has had more libel cases thrown at them than any other rag.

I would just like to say that I wouldn't mind seeing Henry come to Liverpool, I just don't think its what Rafa will be looking for.

THE WORLD’S BEST-PAID BOSSES

1 Jose Mourinho (Inter Milan) £7m
    2 Luiz Felipe Scolari (Chelsea) £5.5m
    3 Arsene Wenger (Arsenal) £4.5m
    Fabio Capello (England) £4.5m
    5 Kevin Keegan (Newcastle) £4m
    6 Carlo Ancelotti (AC MIlan) £3.6m
    Sir Alex Ferguson (Man Utd) £3.6m
    8 Harry Redknapp (Portsmouth) £3m
    Mark Hughes (Man City ) £3m
    Roy Keane (Sunderland ) £3m
    11 Rafa Benitez (Liverpool) £2.5m
    David Moyes (Everton) £2.5m

Rafa deserves a pay rise.

Earing the same as gollum across the park. less than Keegan and Keane?! shocking really.

taken from another site. figures were in Fridays Guardian.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Liverpool will kick-off the 2008-09 Barclays Premier League campaign with an away trip to Roy Keane's Sunderland.
    The game at the Stadium of Light will take place on August 16 when the Reds will be looking for a similar performance to the one which gave them a 2-0 victory in the corresponding fixture last season.

Middlesbrough are the first visitors to Anfield the following weekend with Manchester United arriving on Merseyside in mid-September.

The first derby of the season takes place at Goodison Park on September 27 with the Anfield fixture on January 17.

Our Boxing Day clash next season will be a home game with Bolton while we will also end the campaign at home when Juande Ramos' Tottenham will be the opponents.

Please note that all of these fixtures are subject to change for television purposes and/or police requests. It is envisaged that the first set of television fixtures will be confirmed on Thursday, 3rd July.

Liverpool's fixture list for the 2008-09 Barclays Premier League campaign is as follows:

August:

16 Sunderland (a)
    23 Middlesbrough (h)
    30 Aston Villa (a)

September:

13 Manchester United (h)
    20 Stoke City (h)
    27 Everton (a)

October:

4 Manchester City (a)
    18 Wigan Athletic (h)
    25 Chelsea (a)
    29 Portsmouth (h)

November:

1 Tottenham Hotspur (a)
    8 West Bromwich Albion (h)
    15 Bolton Wanderers (a)
    22 Fulham (h)
    29 West Ham United (h)

December:

6 Blackburn Rovers (a)
    13 Hull City (h)
    20 Arsenal (a)
    26 Bolton Wanderers (h)
    28 Newcastle United (a)

January:

10 Stoke City (a)
    17 Everton (h)
    27 Wigan Athletic (a)
    31 Chelsea (h)

February:

7 Portsmouth (a)
    21 Manchester City (h)
    28 Middlesbrough (a)

March:

4 Sunderland (h)
    14 Manchester United (a)
    21 Aston Villa (h)

April:

4 Fulham (a)
    11 Blackburn Rovers (h)
    18 Arsenal (h)
    25 Hull City (a)

May:

2 Newcastle United (h)
    9 West Ham United (a)
    16 West Bromwich Albion (a)
    24 Tottenham Hotspur (h)

Nice Christmas and a nice run in.
    Couldnt have asked for a whole lot better to be honest.
    Playing united in Sept, im going to have to head over for it i reckon

More news
    Portsmouth are on the verge of completing the £8m signing of Peter Crouch from Liverpool. And, according to the Sun, manager Harry Redknapp is also in the hunt for Nolberto Solano.

We are told Crouch will agree a four-year deal worth £60,000 a week, and to follow that up Redknapp will sign Solano on a free following his release by West Ham.

Elsewhere, and Gareth Barry's proposed switch to Liverpool has apparently taken a step closer after it emerged plans to hold a testimonial for him at Aston Villa have been shelved.

The Mirror suggests Liverpool are to make a fourth bid for the England international after offers of £10m, £12m and £13m were rejected.

The Guardian backs up this story and informs us that Rafa Benitez will have ample money to spend this summer with the imminent sales of Xabi Alonso and John Arne Riise to Juventus and Roma respectively.

The Guardian tells us reports in Italy over the weekend claim Juve have agreed a fee of £14.2m for Alonso, while Riise will leave for £4m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Nice to see our last game will be at home for a change. The visit to Villa Park at the end of August should be fun :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

drool

torresvilla.jpg?t=1213481753

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Haha great picture!, someone was busy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

ha ha typical Merseyside weather too!!!

if that happens it would be like 100 christmasses in one:D:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement