Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Torres does not look to pose the threat for Spain that he does for us, maybe its because Villa is taking up the positions he likes ie. the left side of the attack.

I disagree about Babel, I think he done a fair bit of tracking back. He admitted that it took him a few months to get used to playing on the Left for Liverpool due to the defensive duties he had. At Ajax and Holland, The left wingers didn't have to come back past the halfway line. He has had to adjust to that and he admitted it was hard.

Henry is still a good player, I just dont think he would suit us right now. If we're going for a forward we need a 2nd striker to compliment Nando, not an egotistical (former) superstar who could upset the applecart.

Babel and Pennant have added defensive duties to their games. They may not be the best defensively but they get back to make up numbers. Whether we like it or not, Rafa demands his wingers to track back and do a shift defensively. Signing a great player like Henry is all well and good if you want to build your play around him. At Liverpool he would just be another cog in the machine. Henry is not a team player, he's an individual and doesn't fit into Rafa's team and work ethic.

Don't agree with much of what you've written tbh. Its your opinion though so you're entitled to it.

I think Torres has looked fantastic for Spain and I can understand that Villa has grabbed the headlines, but no mistake he would have scored fcuk all without Nando doing the business with him.

I agree Nando drifts to the left of the attack, but he only does it off the centre backs shoulder as opposed to Henry who like to take a wingers starting position and drive forward in posession from there.
    If we have someone on the opposite wing that puts in extra defensive effort, then there is no reason that Henry's creativity cannot be encouraged. I also think that at Arsenal he did do his share of the defensive duties on the left side, he did more than Pires i reckon. Although he was helped by having Ashley Cole on the left.

I don't think the team needs to be built around him. He's got quality and an eye for goal. Thats enough in my opinion to give him a shot.
    I think he could have another couple of good years in him. We also assume he would be relatively cheap which is a must for our tightarse owners.

In short, would I pick Villa ahead of him? Yes. Will we have that option? No chance.
    Can't think of too many players of his quality that we will be able to afford. I think if we get the chance then grab it with both hands.
    There is also the small matter of a number 14 jersey that will soon need to be filled...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

ibh wrote: »
    Don't agree with much of what you've written tbh. Its your opinion though so you're entitled to it.

I think Torres has looked fantastic for Spain and I can understand that Villa has grabbed the headlines, but no mistake he would have scored fcuk all without Nando doing the business with him.

I agree Nando drifts to the left of the attack, but he only does it off the centre backs shoulder as opposed to Henry who like to take a wingers starting position and drive forward in posession from there.
    If we have someone on the opposite wing that puts in extra defensive effort, then there is no reason that Henry's creativity cannot be encouraged. I also think that at Arsenal he did do his share of the defensive duties on the left side, he did more than Pires i reckon. Although he was helped by having Ashley Cole on the left.

I don't think the team needs to be built around him. He's got quality and an eye for goal. Thats enough in my opinion to give him a shot.
    I think he could have another couple of good years in him. We also assume he would be relatively cheap which is a must for our tightarse owners.

In short, would I pick Villa ahead of him? Yes. Will we have that option? No chance.
    Can't think of too many players of his quality that we will be able to afford. I think if we get the chance then grab it with both hands.
    There is also the small matter of a number 14 jersey that will soon need to be filled...

We're both entitled to our opinions and I do take on board what your saying. Just on some of your points:

Torres did set the ball rolling for Villa with his 1st goal against Russia. But really, he doesn't have the understanding with any of the midfielders to know when to make his runs. If you watch them, he's getting ready to run and has to check his run as the pass doesn't come. He is a quality player, but our style suits him better than the Spanish style does.

The point I'm making about them making the same run is being echoed by yourself. Where your saying Henry does it from deeper, they're both coming from the left hand side.

Henry has an Ego the size of Anfield, and he wont be happy playing on the left wing. He will want to play central. If we go with 2 up top, him and Torres get in each others way. If he doesnt get the adoration he had at Arsenal, he will get frustrated.

Plus i don't know where we're getting the idea that he will come cheap. I reckon your lookin at £12m at least.

I just dont think he is what Rafa will be after. A better bet would be Gudjohnson, who has (as Rafa says) game intelligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If you ask me, Babel's role in the team is tailor made for Henry. They're very similar players.

Henry was never a lead-the-line forward, and never played off the shoulder of the defender. Instead, he'd cut in from the left, and use his pace and technique to beat players. Babel's role might be a little deeper, and more of a support role rather than a target man, but they're largely similar.

I'd be surprised if he signed for us though, for any of number of reasons. He's injury-prone, losing his sharpness, would come with huge wage demands, and may not even consider a move to anyone save Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

would come with huge wage demands,

You better believe it, it would be his retirement move so he would be after a huge weekly packet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The Henry will he/wont he work thing for me come down to 1 question.

4-5-1 or 4-3-3

If we're making the small shift to 4-3-3 like many expect with Barry's signing, then i think he would be perfect. Here you have Barry helping with left side defensively and Gerrard helping right side defensively, both in almost roaming roles coming from just off center in both attack and defence.

Henry wouldn't really have too much defensive responsibilities, and to be honest when you have a player like Henry, you make it work. He pretty much is by definition a WF. The only issue i see with henry is that its also Babels position. Babel would end up shifting across, but i much prefer him coming from left. Not a bad problem to have though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Just wondering does anyone know if Rafa is planning on buying another striker this year, theres been no speculation of him being in for anyone yet that I know of. Now that it looks like crouch is on the way out we will have to buy someone, we can't go a whole season with only 1 decent striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

That is some photo :D:D

runs off to printers to get 8'x6' version lol :D

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The Henry will he/wont he work thing for me come down to 1 question.

4-5-1 or 4-3-3

If we're making the small shift to 4-3-3 like many expect with Barry's signing, then i think he would be perfect. Here you have Barry helping with left side defensively and Gerrard helping right side defensively, both in almost roaming roles coming from just off center in both attack and defence.

Henry wouldn't really have too much defensive responsibilities, and to be honest when you have a player like Henry, you make it work. He pretty much is by definition a WF. The only issue i see with henry is that its also Babels position. Babel would end up shifting across, but i much prefer him coming from left. Not a bad problem to have though.

To be honest i don't think you can simplify a 4-2-3-1 formation down to old fashioned 4-5-1 or 4-3-3. I actually hate when lazy journalists call the system we played with for most of last season a 4-5-1.
    I think that Barry will just slot into that holding / passing role beside Mascher to make up the 2 defensive midfielders.

I do agree that with Gerrard one side and Barry the other it is a formidable line up for a 3 man midfield but i would be concerned that it leaves no central link man between MF and attack.
    I would like to see Gerrard or a new playmaker in that position behind Torres. I think it gives more penetration than a flat 4-3-3.
    I have said before that with the right signing i think Gerrard would be the best man to fill the wide right attacking role with a playmaker in the central role. Cant see us spending the cash for the right type of player however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Telegraph change thier minds about Villa

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/06/16/sfnche116.xml
    Villa, who has scored 43 La Liga goals over the past two seasons, is expected to leave Valencia this summer, but is understood to be eyeing a move closer to home, with Barcelona and Real Madrid sure to be alerted by his desire to stay in Spain.

This link sums up the madness.
    http://www.footballtransferleague.co.uk/football_player.aspx?football_player=David+Villa

Mike.

• Advertisement

ibh wrote: »
    To be honest i don't think you can simplify a 4-2-3-1 formation down to old fashioned 4-5-1 or 4-3-3. I actually hate when lazy journalists call the system we played with for most of last season a 4-5-1.
    I think that Barry will just slot into that holding / passing role beside Mascher to make up the 2 defensive midfielders.

I do agree that with Gerrard one side and Barry the other it is a formidable line up for a 3 man midfield but i would be concerned that it leaves no central link man between MF and attack.
    I would like to see Gerrard or a new playmaker in that position behind Torres. I think it gives more penetration than a flat 4-3-3.
    I have said before that with the right signing i think Gerrard would be the best man to fill the wide right attacking role with a playmaker in the central role. Cant see us spending the cash for the right type of player however.

The real change i was referencing was the switch from having widemen who spend a lot of time down at the halfway line and move forward, to fully fledged Winger forwards.

I would still see Gerrard in the same kind of role as last year, with maybe a bit more work defensively though still free to slot in behind torres, but more that Barry is there to support him.

like;

Masch
    ---Gerrard--Barry
    Babel-\/\/
    Henry
    Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

From ireland.com 12:00Monday, 16th June, 2008

Aston Villa have told Liverpool they are under no pressure to sell skipper Gareth Barry until the price is right which will be in the region of at least €23million.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill has no need to offload the England midfielder on the cheap because it is understood the deal will have no bearing on his own spending power during the summer.

O'Neill, currently working as a TV pundit at the Euro 2008 finals, is believed to be aware of the funds he has at his disposal from club owner Randy Lerner.

Reds manager Rafael Benitez has already had three bids rejected by Villa for 27-year-old Barry.

And, while it appears inevitable that Barry will move to Anfield, O'Neill will not give the green light until his value of the player is met by Benitez.

A source close to Villa said: "The sale of Barry will have no effect on the plans Martin O'Neill has in place for the summer. Any deal for Barry will be on his and Villa's terms."

Benitez is expected to make a fourth offer during the coming week for Barry.

The expected sale of Xabi Alonso to Juventus for a reported €18million may pave the way for what Villa will regard as a more realistic offer for Barry who has been at Villa for 10 years.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The real change i was referencing was the switch from having widemen who spend a lot of time down at the halfway line and move forward, to fully fledged Winger forwards.

I would still see Gerrard in the same kind of role as last year, with maybe a bit more work defensively though still free to slot in behind torres, but more that Barry is there to support him.

like;

Masch
    ---Gerrard--Barry
    Babel-\/\/
    Henry
    Torres

Yea i do think it is a sytem that can work but i would be concerned about how much defending you would get out of Babel and Henry. Just means that the midfield trio have to work harder.
    Its more like the system Chelsea play imo. They leave Makelale to do the defensive work and after that they are quite attackminded with one MF with an exceptional engine, Essien. This could be mirrored by L'pool with Masch and Gerrard being free to roam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

What matches are people hoping to get over to? I'm looking at Middlesbrough (first home) and Pompey (late Oct) at this stage. The Arsenal one over Easter looks tempting too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Villa can get lost if they're waiting for that kind of money, We laughed when United bought Carrick & Hargreaves for those prices, but in fairness they did win the league in both years...

He may be Gerrards new bezzie mate, but it's hard to jusity that kind of price when I think Lucas or even Plessis could plug the hole left by Alonso.

I rate Barry, but if we've a shoestring budget, we should be using most of it in a position which we are possibly strongest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

zAbbo wrote: »
    Villa can get lost if they're waiting for that kind of money, We laughed when United bought Carrick & Hargreaves for those prices, but in fairness they did win the league in both years...

He may be Gerrards new bezzie mate, but it's hard to jusity that kind of price when I think Lucas or even Plessis could plug the hole left by Alonso.

I rate Barry, but if we've a shoestring budget, we should be using most of it in a position which we are possibly strongest.

If our midfield options next year consist of Plessis and Lucas then we wont qualify for a UEFA cup place.
    No point in having Torres and Gerrard when there is no one in midfield to give them the ball.
    Neither Lucas or Plessis is good enough to be first choice and even if they
    were we would have no strength in depth in the most important place on the pitch.
    If Alonso goes then replacing him would have to be our #1 priority.

• Advertisement

I think everything comes down to the Alonso deal. I cant see us spending more on Barry then we make on Alonso, judging by the small increased increments in our bids for Barry - 10mill, 12mill, 13mill. If we had the cash, the 3rd bid would have been 14 or 15, but i think at this point, all Rafa can guarantee to be getting in for Alonso is 13 so thats the sticking point until Juve increase their bid, which they really should as he's really worth it, perfect signing for them at this point imo. I think in the long run both deals will be done for 15 rather then falling apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

As a non pool fan would it not make more sense to drop Barry interest and play Gerrard central midfield and try and sign an attacker for cheaper (experienced older with 2/3 years left)? Lucas and young players can be given game time in easier games to see if they could hack it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

kida wrote: »
    As a non pool fan would it not make more sense to drop Barry interest and play Gerrard central midfield and try and sign an attacker for cheaper (experienced older with 2/3 years left)? Lucas and young players can be given game time in easier games to see if they could hack it)

But then you'd be taking Gerrard out of his best position, and breaking up the Torres/Gerrard partnership which works so well.

Plus for 15million you'd sign **** all great attackers who could take Gerrards place. Gerrard is among the best in the world. Barry is a logical choice imo as he is an excellent player in his own right, and frees up one of our best players to play in his best position.

Mascherano----Barry
    ----Villa
    Gerrard
    Babel--
    Torres

its the future :cool:

or maybe.......
    Mascherano---Barry
    Kuyt/Babel
    Gerrard
    Silva---
    Torres

.........is the future, i havent made up my mind yet :)

Would you not be happier with Torres + Mr Alan in a small cottage in connemara as the future? ;);)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    But then you'd be taking Gerrard out of his best position, and breaking up the Torres/Gerrard partnership which works so well.

Plus for 15million you'd sign **** all great attackers who could take Gerrards place. Gerrard is among the best in the world. Barry is a logical choice imo as he is an excellent player in his own right, and frees up one of our best players to play in his best position.

Mascherano----Barry
    ----Villa
    Gerrard
    Babel--
    Torres

its the future :cool:

or maybe.......
    Mascherano---Barry
    Kuyt/Babel
    Gerrard
    Silva---
    Torres

.........is the future, i havent made up my mind yet :)

Make up your mind please Mr Alan :(:(

Tell Villa he can come over to us as long as he doesn't mess with your torres :D:D

That's good for us, liverpool and you :D:D

Imo i don't think the henry deal is even plausible, all his quotes are being used from a year or two ago like the villa one where he was on the verge of moving to barca and he told some reporter how stevie tried to get him to anfield. Reused IMO.

• Advertisement

IrishMike wrote: »
    Would you not be happier with Torres + Mr Alan in a small cottage in connemara as the future? ;);)

can we let this **** go please?:(
    stick-dan wrote: »
    all his quotes are being used from a year or two ago

I dont think the move will happen, BUT the quotes were brand new, from some product launch last Thurs he was at if i'm not mistaken. They are up on the official Liverpool website i think. Again, not saying i think he'll come, but the quotes are for real and current, and he does love us :cool:

Oh ty Mr.Alan, didn't realise they were real, with all the dodgy journalism lately it is hard to tell :(

I do apologise for wasting a post :D:D

Yeah i wouldn't mind henry, would help babel progress, But as someone said earlier he was barcelona's top scorer he isn't going to go on the cheap, especially with eto'o supposedly moving too.

We should keep alonso and just buy villa..If we score enough goals it won't matter how crap our defence is, seems to be the running strategy at euro 2008 :D:D

if only it was that easy:(

Sorry lads for my lack of info atm as I have been on the piss the last few days. Are these Henry rumors credible?

not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160222080616-1616.htm

wtf? do any of you guys know what this is all about? I'd imagine it's nothing similar to the Man Ure situation - as they wouldn't post this on the official site if it was linked to dissenting voices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Fernando Torres spells it out: I won’t be leaving Anfield
    Jun 16 2008 by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

FERNANDO TORRES has stamped out any speculation over Chelsea’s interest in his services – by issuing the firmest possible statement of intent about his Anfield future.

The Reds’ top scorer, who opened the scoring for Spain against Sweden on Saturday night, spoke about the transfer speculation afterwards.

“I want to say very clearly that I’m not on the market and that it’s my desire to continue at Liverpool,” he stressed.

“I’m very happy there and I want to carry on.

“I came to the club to win trophies. I have many years left on my contract and I expect to win some silverware there.

“I have gone through things I have never experienced before, like playing in a Champions League semi-final.

“And now that I have come within touching distance of glory I want it all.”

Torres added: “I know now what it means to be a champion and that’s made me even happier and hungrier for success.”

The Spanish striker also underlined that the off-field upheaval at the club in the past 12 months has not affected him.

“What has happened behind the scenes at the club has nothing to do with me,” he said.

“I don’t pay much attention to that stuff or to any of the problems. It hasn’t affected me at all.”
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/06/16/fernando-torres-spells-it-out-i-won-t-be-leaving-anfield-100252-21082165/

End of discussion!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

as far as henry goes, hasnt he won absolutely everything in his carreer except for one thing?? he has never won the champions league. we are specialists at this comp and could almost guarantee him a place in the semis!! if we want him we should remind him of this. surely he'll wanna win this before he retires...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

KaG1888 wrote: »
    Sorry lads for my lack of info atm as I have been on the piss the last few days. Are these Henry rumors credible?

No.They are paper talk and no more.thank god

mru wrote: »
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160222080616-1616.htm

wtf? do any of you guys know what this is all about? I'd imagine it's nothing similar to the Man Ure situation - as they wouldn't post this on the official site if it was linked to dissenting voices.

its not dissenting voice per say.

its a club set up by fans who have been priced out of going to the match week in week out.

while setting it up they were in discussions with parry a little and the two have come to the conclusion that they can exist in harmony and compliment eachother.

quote good of parry tbh.

One of the main guys involved described it as Liverpool FC represented at grassroots level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

mormank wrote: »
    as far as henry goes, hasnt he won absolutely everything in his carreer except for one thing?? he has never won the champions league. we are specialists at this comp and could almost guarantee him a place in the semis!! if we want him we should remind him of this. surely he'll wanna win this before he retires...

Not going to happen - it would be a very un-Benitez like signing. He's not into big stars.

Not going to happen - it would be a very un-Benitez like signing. He's not into big stars.

And what then is Torres?

And what then is Torres?

a fuking ride

i'll get my coat

can we let this **** go please?:(
    a fuking ride

Lol was gonna start laying off after the first comment.

No chance in hell after the second one ;)

I know, it actually is starting to piss me off, but then you wrote this;
    And wat then is Torres?

and i couldnt resist :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Lol was gonna start laying off after the first comment.

No chance in hell after the second one ;)
    Lol! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

He is a good looking lad alright. And he was no superstar when we bought him. Big fish small pond maybe but not anywhere near the level he is now.

And what then is Torres?

A great young player and a potential massive star on the way up (when we bought him). Bought potential there, Henry would be completely different, a star on the wane. Apart from maybe Pellegrino, a stop-gap measure and Fowler, maybe a sentimental move, he doesn't tend to go for ageing superstars. Or stars in general. Valencia was all about the whole being bigger than the sum of the parts. I think he would like to create similar at Liverpool. Any stars will be created by Him.

Think Rafa not buying stars has more to do with the lack of funds than it does not wanting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Think Rafa not buying stars has more to do with the lack of funds than it does not wanting them.

+1
    Do you really think Rafa would go out and purposefully sign the likes of Pennant and Crouch if he had the money to buy world class stars?
    Torres was a indication he would sign the world class stars when giving the money.

Smegball wrote: »
    +1
    Do you really think Rafa would go out and purposefully sign the likes of Pennant and Crouch if he had the money to buy world class stars?
    Torres was a indication he would sign the world class stars when giving the money.

Maybe I should rephrase - Rafa doesn't like players with big ego's, hence wouldn't sign Henry

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

David Villa it has been reported will only consider Liverpool as a destination if he moves to England this summer. Villa has apparently ruled out moves to both Man Utd and Chelsea and while he does indeed admire Arsenal he is fully aware that they will not meet his personal terms.

Villa has stated quite categorically that money is not so important, happiness is, and he believes that only Liverpool will bring him that in the Premiership.

It has been reported that he wants to stay in Spain and would prefer a move to either Barcelona or Real Madrid, however Valencia will not sell to a Spanish club if they can help it, and would prefer that Villa goes abroad, to either Italy or England, and that opens the door further for Liverpool.

The only issue for Liverpool is the funding of the deal, however Liverpool will complete the Alonso move to Juventus within 24 hours and is close to the sale of numerous other players including Kewell, Crouch and others.

The Liverpool board are prepared to put the cash up based on Benitez selling others, what won't happen is that the funds wont be made available until players are sold, Liverpool are prepared to buy first then sell.

The preferred target for Valencia is Liverpool, the player prefers Liverpool, the board will pay the cash and Benitez wants Villa at Liverpool.

The signs are that Villa will be a Liverpool player before the new season starts.

No idea how reliable this is but thought I'd throw it up anyway.

http://footylatest.com/news/news.php?extend.855

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kewell is not for sale - he's a free agent. Thats how reliable that site is.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Villa has stated quite categorically that money is not so important, happiness is, and he believes that only Liverpool will bring him that in the Premiership.

:D Didn't know Walter Mitty was a Pool fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

There's no way i'm gonna get my hopes up at all until Torres and Villa are in the red of Liverpool together, sharing the love in front of the Kop after combining brilliantly for yet another quality Liverpool goal. Until then, i remain calm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

if we are gonna be playing a 4-2-3-1 system then how would the (unlikely) signing of villa feature?

Reina

-Finnan?---Carragher--Agger---Dessena-

Mascherano---Barry

-Babel
    Gerrard
    Villa?-

Torres

a lot of pace but imo very little width with both villa and babel being more central players. babel is better at staying wide then villa but not by much. i think we didnt use the width of the pitch as much as we should have last season with a lot of attacking play often drifting towards the centre in the final 3rd only to be dissapated quite easily by good defenses. our problem was that we didnt get enough points off the big teams and to compete with them we need to be more effective in the final 3rd. stretch their well organised defences and use the ball better when we have it. often when watching vs. man utd and chelski its like watching us batter off a big wall until something (or torres) happens. to that effect id much rather see a pacey wide man brought in. someone like silva or mancini would be absolutely perfect for that wide birth and bit of trickery that can open teams up. villa is too much of a direct player for this job imo. to play him we would have to go 442 with g-unit on the right and mascherano and barry down the middle with god knows who as a left midfielder.

Kuyt and Babel are okay to put on either wide position imo and kuyt is very good in big tight games (CL games etc.) playing them together tho on the wings like last season was only really partially effective. especially against good full backs (all the big 3 then really). i really wanna see babel come into his own next season. hes really unlucky not to be involved in a dutch squad which are flying atm but hopefully he can come back and really show us wat he can do.
    right full back is still a problem position as i see degen going the way of josemi and kromkamp. hopefully he'll prove me wrong but i doubt it. dessena seems like a good buy and with riise off to roma its a welcome change.

dont like seeing alonso going tho i like GB and think he will be more effective then alonso has been the past few seasons. a great left foot on is very handy for free kicks and a better replacement from john arne.

if i was to be really frank tho i still think that a team even with mancini or silva in it wont be as good as wat utd and chelski will have next season. tbh, i wanna see an attempt made to sign ronaldhino. if citeh are talking about getting him then surely we can definately find a way to bring him to anfield. thats the type of player we really need to keep up with utd and chelski as make no mistake about it, they are that good. if we dont make a big name signing this summer i forsee another stale season.
    i just hope to god then that i eat my words this time next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

if we are gonna be playing a 4-2-3-1 system then how would the (unlikely) signing of villa feature?

That's an interesting question - though sadly probably entirely academic! If we do sign Villa, and Rafa wants to press on using a 4-2-3-1, we have a few options.

Villa has played in a deeper role for both Valencia and Spain on occasion. He's as comfortable running at defenders as he is playing off their shoulder. So, he could play off Torres, giving is a sort of 4-2-2-1-1

----Mach--Alonso
    Gerrard
    Babel
    Villa
    Torres

However, the roles could similarly be swapped around. Torres had a fantastic season in his lone-striker role supported by Gerrard, but he too has the qualities to play deeper. We could stick Villa in the striker's role, and give Torres a role similar to Rooney's deep role at Man Utd.

Alternatively, we could see a crazy rotating merry-go-round with a front four of Babel, Kuyt, Torres and Villa all swapping around and dragging defenders here and there. Rafa likes his players well drilled and disciplined though, so I don't think we're going to see Total Football at anfield any time soon!

It's something that I keep iterating, but the key to the current 4-2-3-1 system isn't the oft-touted 'wide men'. With Babel and Kuyt last year, we played with two narrow players on the flanks - that is to say, they like to cut in and shoot/play a through ball rather than hug the sideline and get crosses in. That's why Pennant, and by extension Crouch, got so little game time. It's also why the right-footed Babel played on the left.

In signing what are ostensibly (word of the day toilet paper) wing-backs in Dossena and Degen, it further frees up the 'wide men' of the 4-2-3-1 to play narrow, with our fullbacks commiting the opposition's fullbacks and offering wider options.

One could argue that the likes of Villa are more suited to the role than the likes of Mancini. Delivery of a cross is secondary to creativity and ability to spot a run and create space. How many of Torres' goals last year came from crosses? How many from through balls or chips into the box from Gerrard or Kuyt? I'd wager the latter far outweigh the former - and a player like Villa (or more suitably Van Der Vaart, Diego, Sneijder, Silva) are more likely to provide than an out-and-out winger in the David Bentley or Mancini mould. It may be smoke and mirrors, buy Downing has the potential to blossom in a more central role too.

The signing of Barry seems to be a direct replacement for Alonso, and hopefully at no net cost to us. Alonso is a very handy player, but he has had a poor run of injuries, and many feel he has stagnated since his debut season. I rate him very highly, but Barry offers a decent alternative. Superficially they are similar, though there are differences. Alonso offers more in his ability to pick out and deliver a key pass, as well as being disciplined enough to keep the ball moving, with short, simple passes. In contrast, Barry is perhaps a bit more hurried on the ball, but with his left foot he will give the midfield more balance, and also more forward impetus. He is also adept defensively and will offer more of a threat from set pieces (both from indirect and direct free-kicks & corners) than Alonso - which has always been a weakness in this side. Not to overstate matters, he has also showed a good understanding with best-mate Steven Gerrard for England. Lastly, he is flexible, and is capable of playing left-back, central midfield as well as a more advanced attacking role.

There remain question marks about this squad though. Who will our first choice full backs be? Arbeloa is solid, but unspectacular and not great going forward. Aurelio is injury prone and there are concerns over his defensive positioning. I know very little of Dossena and Degen, only that they are both attacking...

The big problem position barely needs to be stated - a creative attacking midfielder. Personally, I would be happy with Babel, Gerrard and Kuyt in the starting XI next year, but we seriously lack alternatives. If we cant afford somebody to slot straight in, we at least need cover for those three, as currently we rely almost solely on Benayoun to step in.

If Crouch is sold, a back-up striker will be required, but perhaps Nemeth can step up. Any title push would depend entirely on Torres keeping fit though.

No a title push would depend on Torres and Gerrard scoring over 50 goals a season and no injuries to any of our big players.
    Imagine Mascherano gets injured, doesnt matter if we sign 10 strikers we would be a much weaker team.
    We are still 5 or 6 strong squad players and 2 first choice players away from a title push.
    Another CL though thats a different matter, but unfortunately thats not what the fans want :(

monkey9 wrote: »
    There's no way i'm gonna get my hopes up at all until Torres and Villa are in the red of Liverpool together, sharing the love

Or sharing Mr Alan ;)
    Damn exhibitionists :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement