Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

It's something that I keep iterating, but the key to the current 4-2-3-1 system isn't the oft-touted 'wide men'. With Babel and Kuyt last year, we played with two narrow players on the flanks - that is to say, they like to cut in and shoot/play a through ball rather than hug the sideline and get crosses in. That's why Pennant, and by extension Crouch, got so little game time. It's also why the right-footed Babel played on the left.

In signing what are ostensibly (word of the day toilet paper) wing-backs in Dossena and Degen, it further frees up the 'wide men' of the 4-2-3-1 to play narrow, with our fullbacks commiting the opposition's fullbacks and offering wider options.

I agree with this completely. Given that we've signed Dossena (and to a lesser extent Degen), we're chasing Barry as if he's essential and our one big transfer target appears to be Villa, it seems obvious to me that we will play narrow with both full-backs providing the width. I think Villa could play the Torres role if needed, and both Kuyt and Babel can play there if required.

I see us playing a modified 4-3-3 next season, with 2 from Carra/Skrtl/Agger in the centre of defence, and Finnan/Arbeloa/Degen and Dossena/Aurelio playing as attacking full-backs.

Then Gerrard-Masch-Barry in midfield, with Masch holding and both Gerrard and Barry playing box-to-box with the freedom to get forward or out wide as necessary. Lucas, Plessis and maybe Downing or Milner providing cover.

Up front Torres in the middle, with both Villa (hopefully!) and Babel or Kuyt supporting, dropping deep to make a 5-man midfield when needed, with Benayoun (again) providing cover. Any three from Torres, Villa, Babel, Kuyt and Benayoun would make a pretty fromidable front line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

our one big transfer target appears to be Villa,

ROFL - do you really think so? Will take any bet on this!!

kida wrote: »
    ROFL - do you really think so? Will take any bet on this!!

I'm hopeful that there is a big transfer target, around £25 million, and Villa looks a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm hopeful that there is a big transfer target, around £25 million, and Villa looks a possibility.

Yes there is, his name is Gareth Barry.

If Villa finishes top scorer in the Euro's, your talking around the 30 million region, not to mention 120 grand a week.

The only way I can see Liverpool getting Villa is if they sell Torres, I'd prefer to have Torres every day of the week to be honest, much more suited to the Prem League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

on Villa
    if that article is true (id give it a 5% chance of being true) it would be a golden opportunity for the owners to put something into the club.

Positives:
    The 2 strikers obviously have a good relationship and a good understanding. I can see why he'd choose pool over any other english club with our spanish influence. if the article is to be believed he wont be looking for massive wages, we have 60k + from kewells contract so maybe riises wages aswell would give 90ish per week.

negatives:
    the article looks like something from the s*n! money ALWAYS comes in to it and if he doesnt stop scoring he'll go for 30m+.
    Chelsea have Lots of money.

prendy wrote: »
    on Villa
    we have 60k + from kewells contract so maybe riises wages aswell would give 90ish per week.

Liverpool have signed 2 players, Degen on a free which usually means he will be on a good earner.

To believe that Villa won't be looking for top wages is very naive.

Plus it is not as simple as, this player is leaving so we can transfer his wages, Kewell has milked Liverpool of millions with little return, I'm sure the burden of his wages will not be seen as a transferable asset.

Boggles wrote: »
    Yes there is, his name is Gareth Barry.

If Villa finishes top scorer in the Euro's, your talking around the 30 million region, not to mention 120 grand a week.

The only way I can see Liverpool getting Villa is if they sell Torres, I'd prefer to have Torres every day of the week to be honest, much more suited to the Prem League.

Lol - a little pessimistic, no? The Barry deal will be funded by Alonso's sale, then Riise's sale looks almost done, Crouch will leave for a decent fee and quite possibly Carson and Pennant too. On top of that I'm sure Rafa has some budget, even if it's not much. I'd say a lot of his original budget went on Dossena, which is why he hasn't concluded a deal since. Maybe enough for Villa, maybe not. Keep the faith.

Lol - a little pessimistic, no?

Not really, I'm a United Fan! :pac:

I'd say it's more like Rises sale will fund Dosena.

I would prefer to see Villa at Liverpool than Chelsea thou. I would just like to see Villa week in week out to be honest.

Not really, I'm a United Fan! :pac:

Nobody's perfect. :D

I would prefer to see Villa at Liverpool than Chelsea thou. I would just like to see Villa week in week out to be honest.

Me too. Chelsea will be an unknown quantity next season, with a new manager and (probably) a whole lot of changes. They could be a threat, they could struggle to find their feet.

Nobody's perfect. :D

I'm Close enough.
    They could be a treat, they could struggle to find their feet.

Excellent! From now on all posts have to rhyme! :D:D:D

I'm sure Chelsea's new manager will have a huge budget, especially considering they will be selling 3-4 top players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Lads where is all this Villa talk coming from.Just because the lad says he would like to play for Liverpool doesnt mean that we can afford him.Think a lot of people will have to wake up to the cold hard facts.We are broke and have to sell several players just to be able to afford Barry FFS.Where exactly will the xtra 30+ we will need to afford Villa come from.If it comes down to a bidding war both Chelsea and Arsenal can outbid us with ease.Prob Manchester United also although they are in a dire financial situation also.Would rather we took a chance on Ronaldino (cheaper at 10 million) as we need more creative players in the middle with alonso going to Juve.Barry is a worker but will not create match winning moments for us so would rather we didnt waste 15m+ on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Villa wont come but if he did...

Babel--Gerrard--Masch--Barry

Villa--Torres

Would be my preferred line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Lads where is all this Villa talk coming from.Just because the lad says he would like to play for Liverpool doesnt mean that we can afford him.Think a lot of people will have to wake up to the cold hard facts.We are broke and have to sell several players just to be able to afford Barry FFS.Where exactly will the xtra 30+ we will need to afford Villa come from.If it comes down to a bidding war both Chelsea and Arsenal can outbid us with ease.Prob Manchester United also although they are in a dire financial situation also.Would rather we took a chance on Ronaldino (cheaper at 10 million) as we need more creative players in the middle with alonso going to Juve.Barry is a worker but will not create match winning moments for us so would rather we didnt waste 15m+ on him.

first off i dont think Villa will go for more than E30m, secondly the reasoning for our speculation is due to the following:

1. Villa gets on very well with Nando and Pepe
    2. Villa has spoken very highly of Liverpool on more than one occasion
    3. Valencia will sell him this summer
    4. Rafa was apparently negotiating with Valencia for an unknown player before Euro2008
    5. Guillem Ballague says Rafa may have a very nice surprise in store for us
    6. Rafa rates him very highly afaik
    7. apparently he would only leave Spain for Liverpool and he really wants a move to Barca or Real, dont know how true this is
    8. i dont see Barca or Real being able to afford him especially if Barca have the overhaul there supposed to be having and Real buy Ronaldo
    9. There has been rumors flying around that Hicks appreciates what Torres has brought to the club and how his value has gone up (and therefore the value of the club) and he wants to recreate this with Villa.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    first off i dont think Villa will go for more than E30m, secondly the reasoning for our speculation is due to the following:

4. Rafa was apparently negotiating with Valencia for an unknown player before Euro2008
    7. apparently he would only leave Spain for Liverpool and he really wants a move to Barca or Real, dont know how true this is
    8. i dont see Barca or Real being able to afford him especially if Barca have the overhaul there supposed to be having and Real buy Ronaldo
    9. There has been rumors flying around that Hicks appreciates what Torres has brought to the club and how his value has gone up (and therefore the value of the club) and he wants to recreate this with Villa.

-Balague
    People keep talking about David Villa and a possible link to Liverpool. I have said it again, but I will repeat it. There has been NO CONTACT between Liverpool and David Villa’s representative, Jose Luis Tamargo. Someone made up a quote that the player did not say in the mixed zone. He is supposed to have hinted he would be interested in a move to Anfield. It is not true; he has not said such a thing. He has told me so in an exclusive interview with guillembalague.com.

His best friend in the national team is Pepe Reina, and Pepe has jokingly asked him to join Liverpool many times. But, believe me, that is as far as it has gone between David Villa and Liverpool. I will give you my prediction: David Villa IS NOT GOING TO LIVERPOOL. There has been interest from Juve, Inter, Real Madrid, Spurs and Barcelona and I have the impression he will end up going to one of those teams. Pep Guardiola is dreaming of playing Mario Gomez and David Villa together, but that is far from a reality yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Here's hoping your right Al but just dont see how the club can afford him IMO.Now Villa and Ronaldino would be a tasty summer in the transfer market:cool:

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Here's hoping your right Al but just dont see how the club can afford him IMO.Now Villa and Ronaldino would be a tasty summer in the transfer market:cool:

i would want to keep well clear of Ronaldinho tbh.

and Tusky i know it is all very optimistic, but just because nothing has happened yet doesnt mean that nothing will happen.

so if we know Rafa wasnt at Valencia to discuss Villa it must be Silva then? or is there someone else we may be interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

There has been a couple of credible people who've linked us with Villa and there's been a couple of similar types who've said we're not in for him. imo Ballague doesn't fall into either category. I wouldn't trust anything he says when it comes to transfers as from what I've seen he gets it wrong more times than he gets it right. That's just my opinion though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

No hope in hell of us even attemting Ronhildino.
    We have a pay cap, and he's talking about £200,000 a week FFS!
    Plus he'd never fit in, or play the kind of football we need.

As for Villa, who knows.
    Cross fingers and toes and lets wait and see.

New Barcelona coach Guardiola declares Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Deco surplus to his requirements

BARCELONA, Spain: Ronaldinho, Samuel Eto'o and Deco are missing from Pep Guardiola's plans at FC Barcelona as the new coach begins the task of reversing the club's flagging fortunes.

"We are contemplating the future without them. The coach thinks this way after analyzing questions of performance and the (last) season," Guardiola said Tuesday at his presentation at Camp Nou stadium.

Ronaldinho, who has lost his status as the world's best player after a poor season, is currently being courted by Manchester City. AC Milan has shown interest in Eto'o, a three-time African player of the year who has scored 77 league goals in his four seasons with the club. Portugal midfielder Deco could join coach Luiz Felipe Scolari at Chelsea.

However, Guardiola said France striker Thierry Henry and Mexico defender Rafael Marquez would remain at Barcelona.

Just throwing it up out of nowhere, with no backing or conviction, but we were linked for Eto'o last summer, and I do remember loads of quotes about him loving Liverpool's fans, and wanting to one day play there!

If he's surplus to requirments, then the fee wouldn't be astronomical, and if it's a choice between us and AC, then I reckon we'd have a chance.

Here's that Eto'o interview from last summer.
    Eto'o insists he is not aware of any approach being made by the Champions League finalists, but revealed his admiration for the club and its fans.

'The great thing about Liverpool is their team spirit - it is very strong,' he told the Sunday Mirror.

'But, for me, it is their fans who win matches for Liverpool because they have so much power.

'They are fantastic. Any player would love to have those types of fans behind him.

'I have played at Anfield in the Champions League quarter-final so I know all about their fantastic supporters.

'It would be wonderful to have that kind of support as a Liverpool player but I really don't know what will happen in the next two years.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Hasn't Eto's been strongly linked to Spurs over the last year with Berbatov moving to the Mancs?

Shamrok wrote: »
    Hasn't Eto's been strongly linked to Spurs over the last year with Berbatov moving to the Mancs?

He turned them down.
    Tottenham have already given up their attempts after being unable to offer Champions League football.

"Tottenham, and I hope the English fans will forgive me, are a club in mid-table and I need more," Eto'o told CRTV.

Shamrok wrote: »

he said a couple of weeks ago that he isnt interested in joining Spurs as he has to be playing champions league football next season.

Again, not saying that it's even on the cards or anything.

Just that we were linked last summer.
    That he'd be cheaper this year.
    That Rafa has shown interest in the past.
    That he'd compliment Nando (though it would scrap our current formation!).
    And that he's shown interest in Liverpool before.

I think that Eto'o is the personification of the term "nice surprise for the fans"!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

It's not going to be Eto'o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

PiE wrote: »
    Probably right. Reports today and yesterday linking him with both Milan teams and Chelsea. Down to who can offer the best personal terms, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Would love eto'o, though i would also worry about his knee. we Might not have to switch systems, last season he spent a lot of his time out wide. Not just 3 up top wide, but actually hugging the touchline wide. Now, i hated that position for him, but in a more WF he has all the attributes to do well, especially as he'd find himself coming into the center pretty often as the front 3 shift around making runs.

To be honest i wouldn't mind taking a risk on Ronaldinho either. He can demand fee's like 200grand when being linked with a club like Man city as it has to compensate for his lack of top top level football, but i think theres a very good chance he'd take more normal wages if got his top club move (still very high, but more realistic). He had gone stale at PSG before he joined barca. He'd started having a bad attitude etc, but as soon as he moved, the new challnge made him the best player in the world. He's still young, and a change could reinvigorate his confidence and ability again. If he didn't cost an arm and a leg he'd be worth the risk imo. No reason whatsoever why he cant return to his previous form. Lets also not forget how his attitude was lauded after he joined Barca, he was known everywhere as the guy who just loved football and never stopped smiling. A Ronaldinho with a smile on his face would instantly turn Liverpool into title challengers, like no other player out there at the moment. Perfect for our WF position, would work well with top class players like Gerrard and Torres, gets tonnes of goals and assists even when not in top form, has a wicked free kick (something we desperately need) and has the creativity to open teams up.

PiE wrote: »

Thanks for clearing that up then.

Oh, could you give me the lottery numbers for this week too, and the answer to life!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Would love eto'o, though i would also worry about his knee. we Might not have to switch systems, last season he spent a lot of his time out wide. Not just 3 up top wide, but actually hugging the touchline wide. Now, i hated that position for him, but in a more WF he has all the attributes to do well, especially as he'd find himself coming into the center pretty often as the front 3 shift around making runs.

To be honest i wouldn't mind taking a risk on Ronaldinho either. He can demand fee's like 200grand when being linked with a club like Man city as it has to compensate for his lack of top top level football, but i think theres a very good chance he'd take more normal wages if got his top club move (still very high, but more realistic). He had gone stale at PSG before he joined barca. He'd started having a bad attitude etc, but as soon as he moved, the new challnge made him the best player in the world. He's still young, and a change could reinvigorate his confidence and ability again. If he didn't cost an arm and a leg he'd be worth the risk imo. No reason whatsoever why he cant return to his previous form. Lets also not forget how his attitude was lauded after he joined Barca, he was known everywhere as the guy who just loved football and never stopped smiling.

True I suppose, the interchanging between Babel, Eto'o and Torres could be leatal!!!

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks has insisted that the club would not accept an offer for star striker Fernando Torres, no matter what the fee.

Recent press reports have claimed that new Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari is lining up a colossal bid of £50million for the Spain international's services.

Liverpool have been quick to quell the rumours, with chief executive Rick Parry dismissing the speculation outright.

Torres then expressed his commitment to the club he joined from Atletico Madrid last summer for a fee in the region of £20million.

However, rumours of an offer from Chelsea have continued to rumble on, with reports suggesting that the Stamford Bridge club could be set to test The Reds' resolve with a formal approach.

But Hicks has spoken publicly in a bid to finally dispel the lingering speculation, insisting that Torres, 24, is invaluable.

"There is no price at which we would consider selling Fernando Torres," said Hicks in the Liverpool Echo.

"The Chelsea rumours in the media are total rubbish."

Well, he's saying the right things at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Stuff from the BBC Transfer rumour list
    Liverpool's John Arne Riise is expected to complete a £5m move to Roma this week. (Daily Mail)
    Portsmouth will make an opening bid of £10m for Liverpool striker Peter Crouch this week. (The Independent)
    Newcastle have told Liverpool and Aston Villa they want £9m for winger James Milner. (Daily Mirror)

I'm going to take these as all good news, even if they are just rumours.

£15m for Riise and Crouch would be great business, especially consdering I was expecting something in the £10m to £12m region for them both.

As for the Newcastle looking for £9m for Milner, I'm taking it as good news as there's no way I can see Benitez paying this much for him, for which I will be very grateful.

Also on the Barry transfer thing, saw reports Villa have cancelled a planned Barry testimonial in August and are having a pre-season friendly instead. Since this could be worth up to £1m to Barry, that's could be in effect £1m saved off his transfer price. Don't know if we will have to make this up to Barry, but it would probably be over the length of his his contract, but it does show he is keen to move and also that Villa seem to think he won't be there to have a testimonial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

10m for Crouch is great business, so with him moving on we will probably see Babel in the Torres role against weaker teams next season, which I really wanna see.
    5m for Riise is good value for Roma, he's 28 this year. I know he hasn't been in form for a while, but a change might do him good.

• Advertisement

Am I the only one that thinks 10m for Crouch isn't exactly great business ? We bought him for about 7m and he has improved so much since then. He has become a great goal scorer for England and has scored plenty in Europe for Liverpool. With the price of England players these days, I think he is worth more.

Hes only has one year left on his contract which is what is obviously keeping the price down. In future, if we plan to sell a player we should get them to sign a new contract the year before to increase the price.

Bent - 16m
    Barry - 15m
    Hargreaves - 18m
    Bentley - 12-15m
    Carrick - 17m
    Crouch - 10m ???

Tusky wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks 10m for Crouch isn't exactly great business ? We bought him for about 7m and he has improved so much since then. He has become a great goal scorer for England and has scored plenty in Europe for Liverpool. With the price of England players these days, I think he is worth more.

Hes only has one year left on his contract which is what is obviously keeping the price down. In future, if we plan to sell a player we should get them to sign a new contract the year before to increase the price.

Bent - 16m
    Barry - 15m
    Hargreaves - 18m
    Bentley - 12-15m
    Carrick - 17m
    Crouch - 10m ???

Defoe went for 9 and is a better player than Crouch. As for signing a new contract, I don't think Crouch and Rafa are exactly great buddies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Very poor price imo, I <3 Crouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Maybe if Cappello had given Crouch the captains armband for a match he'd probably be worth more :pac::p

10m is still good business under the circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Defoe went for 9 and is a better player than Crouch. As for signing a new contract, I don't think Crouch and Rafa are exactly great buddies.

Defoe is better than the Crouchinator...?!?! You're on crack my friend. To start with Defoe is so one dimensional it's not even funny. He has good pace and is a decent finisher but he was shipped out of Spurs for a reason, he adds nothing to the build up play. Crouch is just as good a finisher if not better (the guy actually has great instincts in front of goal, not given enough credit for that IMO) brngs far more to the team as whole as he is superb t holding the ball up and bringing other players into the game. He's also unmarkable at times and if the Refs stopped punishing him for his height (some of the frees gven against him are a a disgrace) he'd be even more effective.

I don't think it's a personal thing between him and Rafa either. It's just our style of play has changed and Crouch no longer suits it. Rafa isn't a sentimental manager so Crouch has seen his first team chances slip away. He can't be expected to stay here and sit on the bench when he's finally made the England team...

I'd take the 10m btw, he's worth more imo but we won't get more.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Defoe is better than the Crouchinator...?!?! You're on crack my friend. To start with Defoe is so one dimensional it's not even funny. He has good pace and is a decent finisher but he was shipped out of Spurs for a reason, he adds nothing to the build up play. Crouch is just as good a finisher if not better (the guy actually has great instincts in front of goal, not given enough credit for that IMO) brngs far more to the team as whole as he is superb t holding the ball up and bringing other players into the game. He's also unmarkable at times and if the Refs stopped punishing him for his height (some of the frees gven against him are a a disgrace) he'd be even more effective.

I don't think it's a personal thing between him and Rafa either. It's just our style of play has changed and Crouch no longer suits it. Rafa isn't a sentimental manager so Crouch has seen his first team chances slip away. He can't be expected to stay here and sit on the bench when he's finally made the England team...

I'd take the 10m btw, he's worth more imo but we won't get more.

x2

but he was shipped out of Spurs for a reason,
    And what's Crouches reason for being shipped out?
    he adds nothing to the build up play. Crouch is just as good a finisher if not better (the guy actually has great instincts in front of goal, not given enough credit for that IMO) brngs far more to the team as whole as he is superb t holding the ball up and bringing other players into the game.

He is a bean poll that can't run or head the ball. What other 6-7 forwards do you know that there worst attribute is in the air.

Himself and Defoe would be a decent partnership thou.

I do think £10m would be a good bit of business for Crouch due to his contract situation. I know we bought him for £7m and he has definately improved his reputation from then.

However if you are a manager thinking of buying Crouch you have to really want him and want him now, considering you can buy him for nothing in a year.

Also there is the fact that he will be 28 in December, so is unlikely to have much in the way of re-sale value.

There is also the fact that he clearly wants to play football and is not happy in the bench with Liverpool which pushes his price down.

He'll also be looking for pretty tasty wages.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest for him especially from any of the big four in England and he's not the type you can imagine attracting interest from abroad.

Throw in the facts that there are seemingly a lot of top-tier strikers on the move around Europe this summer, plus the fact that Liverpool are in a sell-to-buy situation and I think £10m is a very decent price.

Also Tusky regarding the prices you quoted

Bent for £16m :- this has been mentioned numerous times as one of the worst pieces of transfer business in recent times.
    Barry for £15m :- this was a case where Villa didn't want and or need to sell and Rafa seems pretty keen - even still a lot of people are saying hr's not worth this sort of money
    Hargreaves for £18m - this was a case of the selling club being the one in the driving seat as Bayern werent especially keen to sell and as such attracted a premium because SAF was especially interested
    Carrick for £17m - Ok this was a case of Spurs getting a good price from Utd. People still think SAF overpaid for Carrick
    Defoe - £9m Portsmouth was crying out for a goal scorer and Spurs had shown they were quite willing to have him on the bench
    Bentley - £12m-£15m - Will see how this turns - Blackburn have reportedly put a price tag of £15m on his head. I think this could be a case of daring other clubs to match this. I think they would much prefer to hang on to him, but given the fact that he has come out and said he is looking
    for CL or European football they have to realise he is on the market. However I could well see them saying to him at the end of the summer "Look David - we think you are worth £15m but no other club is interested in paying this for you, looks like you'll have to stay with us for another season"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Bent - 16m
    Barry - 15m
    Hargreaves - 18m
    Bentley - 12-15m
    Carrick - 17m
    Crouch - 10m ???

You've answered your own question there really, Tusky. It's the fact he only has a year left. I agree with you, he's definately worth more than that. Around the 12-15 million mark at least. Especially when you see the likes of Darren Bent going for 16m.
    Crouch has improved so much at Liverpool, it's unreal. He was a joke figure before, but now he has really surprised a lot of people as to how good he is. When he plays, he scores. And some of his goals have just been sheer quality e.g his hat trick against Arsenal, the overhead against Galatasary, etc
    I'm sad to see him go if that's the case, but as has been said, the system we now play just doesn't suit him. He'll always get a great reception at Anfield, i'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

And what's Crouches reason for being shipped out?

He is a bean poll that can't run or head the ball. What other 6-7 forwards do you know that there worst attribute is in the air.

Himself and Defoe would be a decent partnership thou.

Crouch is being shifted out because he does not uit our style of play anymore. It's not a knock on his footballing ability. The same reason RVN was shipped out of United (altough iirc there was a personaliy thing there too).

He's a bean pole who can't run or head, but he winsthe majority of long balls up to him and he has a deft touch and great vision. It's his lack of pace that's keeping him out of the pool team. That's not going to be an issue for a lot of other clubs. f we still played 2 up front he'd be starting imo.

And for someone who is unquestionbly suspect in the air his height makes up for it. He's scored a fair few headers over the course of his pool career.

• Advertisement

I remember when he first signed, Paddy Power were giving 50/1 odds on Crouch being caught on camera hitting his head on the "This Is Anfield" sign!:D

He'll always be thought of fondly.

Long post on possible players in side of things

Assuming we sign Barry and sell Crouch (looking increasingly more likely) and with Kewell gone, we are left with the following attacking players

Torres , Babel , Kuyt , Gerrard , Benayoun , Pennant , Lucas , Voronin ,
    Nemeth , Barry

Also given there have been rumours about Pennant and Voronin being on the way out, and with Lucas and Barry maybe we classified as defensive players, I think we would definitely need to increase out attacking options.

To be honest I think we are looking pretty light as regards our goal treat especially if we pick up an injury to say Torres or Gerrard.

As such I think any of our further activity in the summer transfer market will fall in one of two categories

1) sale of Carson and/or transfer of Itandje with the purchase of replacement keeper

2) purchase of attackers - with Crouch gone the priority would be a replacement striker as otherwise we are down to Voronin/Nemeth or switching Babel/Kuyt to striker. However I'm sure we'll be looking to increase options on the wings, espcially if they can bang in a goal or fifty.

On the basis of this, I’ve listed some of the players we’ve been linked with, followed by those who are rumoured to be on the move and finally just possibilities to consider.

I’ve been mainly looking at players who can play up front. I know the 4-5-1 has proved successful in the last while, but in general I’m of the opinion that players are more important than formations. In other words if it was a choice between Vill or 4-5-1 I'll go for Villa everytime.

I’ve listed a minimum price, a maximum price and then followed by my guess as to what we would actually pay if they ended up a Liverpool player, all in Sterling. Some of these are just very rough estimates, especially the ones in the third group, some of which are basically plucked out of thin air.

Basically I’m wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for players we might possibly sign.

If you have any other players might as well throw down the minimum price, maximum price and your best guess as to what we would actually end up paying. Also your opinion on these players would be welcome.

Quim 2 5 4
    Milner 5 9 8
    Downing 8 12 10
    Bentley 10 17 13

Villa 25 35 30
    Silva 17 25 22
    Eto 18 25 20
    Benzema 20 30 27
    Quaresma 15 22 17
    Henry 12 16 14
    Riera 8 12 11

Van Der Vaart 15 25 20
    Santa Cruz 10 15 12
    Javier Saviola 4 8 6
    Huntelaar 16 25 22
    Luis Fabiano 6 10 8
    Affelay 8 15 10
    Martins 13 18 15
    Milito 8 15 11

Let the speculation begin :D

Players out of that list i would like to see at the club and their prices imo.

all prices in GBP

Downing 8 12 10

Villa 17 25 25
    Silva 15 20 20
    Eto 9 15 12
    Benzema 18 22 22
    Van Der Vaart 18 20 20
    Santa Cruz 10 14 12
    Huntelaar 15 20 20
    Milito 10 15 15

Eto 9 15 12

Youve drastically undervalued Eto'o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Thsi was probably reported earlier, but:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3703411,00.html
    Valencia striker David Villa has rubbished speculation that he has set his sights on a move to Liverpool or Chelsea next season.

Villa has impressed at Euro 2008 and is the tournament's current top scorer after firing four goals in the group stages.

That form has reportedly put the 26-year-old on the radar of Liverpool, who are on the look out for a strike partner for Villa's Spain team-mate Fernando Torres, and Chelsea as the Blues consider options for the possible replacement for Didier Drogba.

Villa was recently quoted as saying he held an 'attraction' for both Liverpool and Chelsea, however the former Real Zaragoza star insists he is happy at the Mestalla and that Valencia have not told him he is for sale.
    "I have heard that I am supposed to have said that I would prefer to go to Liverpool to play next season or that I want Chelsea to be my next team," Villa told guillembalague.com.

Focus

"I have not said anything like that. My club insists I am not for sale and, believe me, I am totally focused on the European Championship.

"As far as I know, nobody from Liverpool has been in touch, but in any case my future is not something I have in my mind at the moment. I do not understand why people put words in my mouth.

"I always say the same thing, nobody from Valencia has told me that I am for sale. In any case, I am not at all worried about that at the moment.

"My priority, for now, is to play well in Euro 2008."

Villa also insists that he would not be tempted by the likely increase in salary that a move away from Valencia could bring.

"Money means nothing," Villa added. "Of course, everybody works to earn money, but if you are not happy, material things mean nothing. My only target in life is to get better at my job."

You gotta love his attitude. Loyal to his club, and humble......not like a smarmy Portugese pr*ck I could mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

rosboy wrote: »

You gotta love his attitude. Loyal to his club, and humble......not like a smarmy Portugese pr*ck I could mention.
    Damn right rosboy. The Premier League is much better off without old smarmy pants Mourinho.

Youve drastically undervalued Eto'o.

when everybody in the world knows your team is looking to sell you your value drops dramatically, if Barca still wanted him i would say he would cost 20-25m easily.

Pighead wrote: »
    Damn right rosboy. The Premier League is much better off without old smarmy pants Mourinho.

I was going for a slightly younger "smarmy Portugese pr*ck":p

But I agree with you nonetheless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

rosboy wrote: »
    I was going for a slightly younger "smarmy Portugese pr*ck":p

But I agree with you nonetheless!

but he is such a modest chap :P needs to come out of his shell a bit!!:D

• Advertisement

stick-dan wrote: »
    but he is such a modest chap :P needs to come out of his shell a bit!!:D

Good point. I think Sir Alex should sent him on an assertiveness course. Give him more confidence to pursue his goals in life. Its a shame to see him being held back at such a small club that has little potential or ambition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement