Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

rosboy wrote: »
    You gotta love his attitude. Loyal to his club, and humble......not like a smarmy Portugese pr*ck I could mention.
    Pighead wrote: »
    Damn right rosboy. The Premier League is much better off without old smarmy pants Mourinho.
    Ah Carvalho isn't that bad ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Call_me_al wrote: »
    when everybody in the world knows your team is looking to sell you your value drops dramatically, if Barca still wanted him i would say he would cost 20-25m easily.

If Eto'o is sold for 15m or below, I will close my boards.ie account. You can quote me on that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Tusky wrote: »
    If Eto'o is sold for 15m or below, I will close my boards.ie account. You can quote me on that.

done

Damn. Didnt think that through.

Damn. Didnt think that through.

One get out clause you might need - you didn't give the currency.

/killjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

lol, if we get eto'o i'll close mine!lol, no chance of it, you cannot quote me on that tho :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

That's rather risky no :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well in fairness you could be talking gold bars so you have a chance :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well in fairness you could be talking gold bars so you have a chance :)

Or the M could stand for Mars Bars. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Or the M could stand for Mars Bars. :p

thats voronins value..., plus a pack of tayto and a macaroon bar based on appearances

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

el rabitos wrote: »
    thats voronins value..., plus a pack of tayto and a macaroon bar based on appearances

Yeah but Tusky might mean if Eto'o went for 15 Mars Bars he would close his account!! I will offer 6 Mars Bars and a packet of tayto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Macaroon bars, don't get them over here. Bastids. Anyway not sure etoo would fit us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Dont want Eto'o....... David Silva please.

Could Rafas suprise be Luis Garcia coming back? ooohhhhh that'd make me :D

Wat do you see Below?

@B@BBBB$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$lllllllllll$llll$llll$llll$llll$llll$llll$lllllllllll$lllllllllll
    #CV2VmJ2UQFG66I60II8888I8j8gj8jj8MMjj8Mjj@@BBBB@@i@B$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    iWJ2UQFGGtGI6#k08I8j8gggNgNjjNjjiBB$$lllll$$$$$$$$$$$$$$iii@@B$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    #CLJJJmJFUGG6A0#I8I8j8gj8NM@i$$$$@M0A#I#6A#I#I@$lll$$$B@$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    #1OVJVJ22QQtG6ttII###0Ijji$llllllll@2v,,,........,,;;vv1v;v1L2GI6MiB$$$$$$B$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    #1LVOJVVJVQUttF6ttI66IIMi$llll@V,,,,,,,.............,,,;,,;;;;;;;;;v1;;vW$ll$$B$$$$$$$$B$$$$$
    #vOLVOJOWUFQtGtGAI@$llllllL;,,.,;;;;,,,.............;;;;;;;v;;;;;;;;;v;;,,,c8llllll$B$$$$$B$$$$B$$
    j21rLLOVLJVJWUUFQF#B$BO,,,;;vv1vv;,,,,.,,,,,,,,,;;;;;;;;vvvv;vv;11v;,;m$ll$BiB$$$$B$B$B@
    #;cLLOrOLLJV2WQJmIj$$L;,;;v1111vrcrLLC1;1r11vvv;v;;111v;1vv11CCr;;;Liiilll$BiB$BB$B$iB$$
    WvCCcLCLLOJV2Omiiilll$t1;v117rr7rVJOLvr111111cLOJL7111v1vvv;v;vrrLC;;CBlll$BBB$B$B$B@
    W;CCLrrLLOOVOOgillll@Cv7CCrOLLLr1v;;;,;;;;11rLrrrrCC7C11v1vvv;v;;vC71;vt$lll$@iiB@BBBB
    WvCCrLLrLLOOLWillllll$UCrrLL7CrLLCrrrLOO71v;v1CLL2rrCr11v1;;;;;v;;v;;v11vv#lllll$@iiiB@B@
    @BB
    jj1rOVVJVJJVJLLW$lllllBL1COLv;;;rLL71CV2QAkGWLr1rLO2rVQJC;,,,,;;;;;;;vvC11Jj$ll$NjjNN@N
    MrVVJ2VWm2JJW$llllllNOOO1v2##6IgB$lll$llllll$$B@#I#6F8iii$$BNktJOLr1vv1v11Ij$ill$NNNiijN@
    iiFV2U2U2UmQ2QiiilllllB2;rV2F@$j8IINiM8#8#jj$llll$i8J2Lv;OjBB$$$$ii8JOLCr11v;v@$$NjjNjjNgj
    NrWUFQFQGQQ6$llllllQ17Wjjlll$$llllllll$illllllllll$$llllllllllll$L;.,;,,1j$$$$$$$@mv1LVVvv;,#lll$NgNNNj@
    #OQGt6G6G62r,1glll@JV2JkNi$llllllll$iMNB@$llll$$$t1;,vvCt$llll$g8$lllll$$$gVJ2Lr;;;FjlllBiMMNjNNN
    MLGFt6t06#G0#c;;r@6W7v;;1LJWMNM@$$j8#2r;,1rrvvcF8NM8IAJvLI8mcVv;;,V$ll@MgMggN
    i8mtI6##8#6g$llllll8jNgWcv;,,,,;1LL2t0iii@0UJOV;;,;1r11v;vrWGQCv,,,vLL1v;;;;N$NMMM8gj88
    @tFW22V11v1LUmLrv;1LLC;,,,,r11rv;,,,vrrL1v;,;;vLJL1v;vLkG1rFgij8jj8MM
    BGII88M8gjMj6G#g8FOm68NNN021;;,,,,,1#tJ;7r;;;;;,,,;v1vv11CLL2Lc1;;;;vLvFWM6I8M88j88
    $FI8IM8jNNiiiii@CLNJLO2JI8MAQJO711vU$@F@$N02,;;,,1#L7Cr1r7rO1;;;1rL1W#B28jM8j888
    $t6I80MMNNB$g1,;;OItGtQ62tGGIJJJUIj$BJ8lllllllllllllllltIBlll$UI@GC1111vv;;1v11v7jgjAgj88888II
    $U8088IMMiiBi@;,;V266tUFJ2G#GGQF6G1,,Wllll$l$$@j$$@GFGW1;;v;;;1v;;;v1;C6Mij8j88j88M
    BFAI#IM8N@$Mr.,;rmWFQttt66tI6AII62W8@jj0Igllllll$$BBiNjrrCUOvv;v1vv;;vv7GMI#k08I88II
    $2#II88ggjiiiiiB$$$$il@tG66F66k8#88II6B$@t#2LLFGVVVFMNWVJO1vv1rvvvv120AttGttF66#8
    BQ68I8jj8NNBiiB$$$$N6#888Mj88#Mii$$$$$$llllllll$@6$$$8FA8AUm7r1vv;1v;;;;rV2JVWWQt6tt
    $26II888MgN@@BiiBBMIINiNM#GJ2@llllll$$$$N6UtUFLrWI8kNBgIU1v1CrLr1;;W82LLVOJVVWFG
    BG6888j8gggNNg8M@@NNN#ItWAj$B82VVmGG#@BF;,,,;;vm@2v,v1rOr1,.#lllllllB6WFW2V2JJ
    $F##88N@iiN@ii$$lllll@g@ijjM#8j@g86G6AI8j$B$llllllllBm;;v;;;Jk#1v1rrr7r,;1lllllllllllllll@A6GFWJW
    @iiB@iN@iiiB@BB$llllllll$NmLLLLrrG6JLCr11v;,Wlllllllllllllllll$NM8I66UU
    lll$$l$ll$$$$$$$$$llllllllllBk6@B@j@iB$@iNjM888M8Nggj#VvrC1rOJLcrv;;;;,v#llllllllllllllllll$BNiNjjj8#I
    $$$lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll@AI@$@g@BiN66U2VVVLLVFGWOOCCOFC1v;;,;;Wllllllllll$lllllllll$B$B@NN8
    $iii$$$ll$llll$llll$llllllllllllll@,A8giB$$$$B$NNj8I8NijMj0MNN8I6FVO#2rrvv;;1kjllllllllllllllllllllllll$$$$$BBiN@

lllllllllllllllll$llll$llllllllllllllllll8,.m@8888B$$$lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll$$BiB$$$NIWVVjjilllllllllllllllllllll$lllllll$$$$$ll$$$$$
    lllllllllllllllllll$$lllllllllllllllll@;.,Wi$ij8kAjjB$$$$$lll$llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll$@6WQIjilllllllllllllllllllllllll$$lllllllBB$$lllllllll$$$$
    lll$lllllllllll$llll$llllllllllllllllll.....r0$iN888BB$$$$$l$$l$$$$$Bii86F2Qkg$lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll$$lll$BB@jiBlllllll$$$

lll$llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll@;..,,,...,OMNjiB$$$$$$$$$$$$$BB$BB@iB$$lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll$$llllllllligC,,...;7#N
    lll$$lllll$lllllllllllllllllllll$;...........,,rJIgiB$$$$lll$lllllllllll$$@j0tt#j$llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll$$llllllllV,...,1r,....,,
    lll$$$llllllllllllllllllllllllll;;.....,cjillllllll@CC28@iiiiB$g#AFJOOQgi$llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll$lllllN,..;W6;,,,,,..
    $$$$llllllllllllllllllllllW...,Gillllllllll$$@AJLCCm6g@j;,.,;cLJ8Billll$lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll7,.;m0L,,,,;,,
    lll$$$$ll$lllllllllll$;..CBllllllllllll@7WM80kNBlll$B$lllllN7OgB$$$$lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll@.;c#r,.v;;vv
    lll$$$lllllllllllllll@,,,lllllllllllllllllgI8llltJ1MB$iiB$llllll$Mllllllllll@ii$$$lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllBWgFCc7;,,,
    $B$lllllllllllllllllB#$lllllllll$$N6Jr,.;WjjNB$l$$lllllllllllllllllllllllllB@llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll$gIIVv;;,;;
    llllll$$llllllllllllllll$l@IGUUVr18ll#,;Q$$Bllllllllllllllllllllllll$BiB$lllll$lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllNW;;,;;,,

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Dont want Eto'o....... David Silva please.

Could Rafas suprise be Luis Garcia coming back? ooohhhhh that'd make me :D

Wat do you see Below?

Would you actually be happy if Garcia came back ? IF that was the 'surprise' that Rafa had planned I would be very very unhappy. Scored some great goals and had some great games but nowhere near consistent enough. Garcia wasnt even a starter 2 years ago, why would he be a starter above what we have now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I see rafa, does that make me the special one :D:D

bring back luis!! for sentimental value of course :D:D

Garcia wasnt even a starter 2 years ago, why would he be a starter above what we have now ?

I doubt he would be a starter if he came back. I would imagine more an impact sub but Mr. Alan has the hots for him so with him bumming Torres he is telling him to get rafa to get Garcia back and they can have a 3some, or a gang bang if Garcia and Villa join. :p

Garcia would be perfectly suited to our current formation, PERFECTLY suited to it.

I'm not saying he would be a certain starter, but, if we are shopping in the bargain basement, i'd love him back, and definately play him against the weaker opposition we'd face, think of the likes of Blackburn,Portsmouth,Birmingham,Reading,Wigan last year, that little ****ing genius could make a huge impact in games like that.

he was a massive player for us in his time at the club.

CL/Big Game opponents;

Mascherano--Barry
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    NewWF(silva?:))
    Torres

attacking subs;Babel,Garcia,Nemeth,New striker

Poorer opposition:

Mascherano--Barry
    -Garcia
    Gerrard
    Babel--
    Torres

Attacking subs;New WF(silva:)),Kuyt,New Striker

Garcia would be perfect anywhere across the front three, incl Gerrards position, and available for less than 5 million, probably around 3m

3639179727.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be honest i'd also take Garcia back in a second, so long as we were still getting another winger/WF. Garcia works as both cover to Torres and as Mr Alan said, the 3 behind him. Was quite effective when played as a striker i always thought. Would obviously largely be used in one of the 2 wide roles, which are tailor made for him. What a sub to have on the bench! Remember Arsenal (when we still lost thanks to Gerrard feeding Henry a nice through ball), but Garcia changed that game with his appearance and would have saved it if not for a moment of madness. And by god could he head the ball for a little fella!

Dossena, Degen, Barry, Silva/other WF and Garcia would do me nicely for this window.

On Mr. Alans Rafa picture, some people really have waaaay too much time on their hands!

Just took a look through Valencia's squad list to see who it could be that Ballague said Rafa was negotiating for there.
    These would be my suspects;

Canizares - leaving on a free, could solve out backup keeper problem nicely

Edu - unlikely but apparantly Rafa was a fan of his, could also be a "we're lookin at other people as well as barry y'know" thing

Vicente - Bit injury prone, but very good when fit, if we're lookin in the bargain bin, he could be one, tho i suspect will be kept as Silva will depart.

Joaquin - Fantastic one day, invisible the next. Rafa again was interested a few years back, but his attitude and inconsistency make it unlikely, never know tho..

Silva - we know all about him, can play wide, in the hole, or up top if needed. A question of money

Villa - Pretty much as above, swapping priority positions

Zigic - Exact replacement for Crouch, in that he's a giant striker. Not fit to lace crouch's boots imo though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'd rather have pongolle back always had a soft spot for his penalty getting ability,
    but I love luis but In my heart of hearts he wouldn't improve the team enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Am I the only one that thinks 10m for Crouch isn't exactly great business ? We bought him for about 7m and he has improved so much since then. He has become a great goal scorer for England and has scored plenty in Europe for Liverpool. With the price of England players these days, I think he is worth more.

Hes only has one year left on his contract which is what is obviously keeping the price down. In future, if we plan to sell a player we should get them to sign a new contract the year before to increase the price.

Bent - 16m
    Barry - 15m
    Hargreaves - 18m
    Bentley - 12-15m
    Carrick - 17m
    Crouch - 10m ???

A player moving up, club wise, is always going to cost more than one on the way down. We re a club selling Crouch because he cant get into the first team. The others are stars at smaller clubs that dont want to sell, with the exception of Hargreaves but Bayern didnt want to sell so UTd had to pay what they wanted.

• Advertisement

I dunno. I think we should just move on. If Garcia came back it would mean selling Benayoun else we would have too many players. We have plenty of back up (Pennant, Benayoun, Kuyt, Voronin) what we need is someone who can add quality and be a consistent performer & starter.

Not sure about Garcia but I'd have no problem selling Benayoun.

I hate when he's playing out on the wing because he's incapable of staying there. He spends the whole time in the centre getting in the way of others, narrowing the play and leavign the full back exposed.

I dunno. I think we should just move on. If Garcia came back it would mean selling Benayoun else we would have too many players. We have plenty of back up (Pennant, Benayoun, Kuyt, Voronin) what we need is someone who can add quality and be a consistent performer & starter.

yes but we can obviously have both, just because we get a starter, doesn't mean we can offload pennant and voronin to be replaced with garcia. Garcia being able to play up top is important too. He wouldn't be bought as an answer to our wing, he'd be bought as he's better then what we have as backup for the WF position, and id much rather him up front then Voronin.

For Benayoun, I like the idea of keeping him, he's quite garcia-esque, can be quiet but win a match single handedly. Perfect for fillin in Gerrards position too if we wanna rest him.

Id be happy with with Babel and NEW as the main wingers, Yossi and Garcia as the backups and Kuyt backup for wing and striker. 3 players, 2 of which can play in any of the 3 positions up for grabs, and the 3rd, Yossi, able to do a fine job in Gerrards role, so we have 3 all capable of covering a lot of circumstances.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Not sure about Garcia but I'd have no problem selling Benayoun.

I hate when he's playing out on the wing because he's incapable of staying there. He spends the whole time in the centre getting in the way of others, narrowing the play and leavign the full back exposed.

Benayoun scored 10 or 11 goals for us this season. Only Torres & Gerrard scored more. I think hes a great player to have coming off the bench.
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    yes but we can obviously have both, just because we get a starter, doesn't mean we can offload pennant and voronin to be replaced with garcia. Garcia being able to play up top is important too. He wouldn't be bought as an answer to our wing, he'd be bought as he's better then what we have as backup for the WF position, and id much rather him up front then Voronin.

For Benayoun, I like the idea of keeping him, he's quite garcia-esque, can be quiet but win a match single handedly. Perfect for fillin in Gerrards position too if we wanna rest him.

Our back up for the WF positions next season should consist of Kuyt, Benayoun & possibly Pennant. I dont see the point in bringing Garcia back. Theres been too much chopping and changing in the reign of Rafa. I know alot of it is justified but it has to end at some point. We cant keep replacing players with players that are ever so slightly better. The team needs to gel.

Our back up for the WF positions next season should consist of Kuyt.

I actually think that unless we sign a Torres style world class RWF that Kuyt should get another shot at that position(definately for big matches). End of the season he was excellent. Excellent there for the dutch. and is perfect type of player to wear the jersey.

And tusky, Garcia doesnt count as chopping and changing cause he was already with us ;)

I'd like.....Silva,Babel,Kuyt,Garcia,Yossi as our wide options next year :)

Benayoun scored 10 or 11 goals for us this season. Only Torres & Gerrard scored more. I think hes a great player to have coming off the bench.

Meh, that includes the hat trick against H&W.

which of course doesnt count!

hold on, :confused:?!

yossi is an excellent little player, do wish i could stay out wide a little more though.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Meh, that includes the hat trick against H&W.

Lets not play the 'goals against weak opposition dont count' game!
    I actually think that unless we sign a Torres style world class RWF that Kuyt should get another shot at that position(definately for big matches). End of the season he was excellent. Excellent there for the dutch. and is perfect type of player to wear the jersey.

And tusky, Garcia doesnt count as chopping and changing cause he was already with us ;)

I'd like.....Silva,Babel,Kuyt,Garcia,Yossi as our wide options next year :)

Benayoun & Garcia are too similar, no point having them both in the squad. I also think we should have one classic winger as we will play 4-4-2 sometimes. Babel, Kuyt, Garcia, Yossi and even Silva, tend to cut inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I don't now if this was posted up before, please forgive me.....anyway, here's some masterbation material to enjoy (stolen from RAWK)

v6onrs.jpg

• Advertisement

that picture only makes me sad cause its not going to happen :(

which of course doesnt count!

hold on, :confused:?!

yossi is an excellent little player, do wish i could stay out wide a little more though.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I can't believe you want Garcia back, he was handy in that he would get some vital goals but he was rubbish 90% of the time.

Nostalgia messes with peoples minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I can't believe you want Garcia back, he was handy in that he would get some vital goals but he was rubbish 90% of the time.

Joaquin - why is no one mentioning joaquin?

...i did within the last 20 posts...

But anyway, he's been a bit poo since he joined Valencia, incredibly inconsistent still. He's not a kid anymore so inexperience is no longer an excuse. Not sure he has the mentality for the premiership.

Theres a chance if other targets are out of reach, but he's not by any means first choice.

Reganio 2 wrote: »

Reganio, if you want a reminder of how important Garcia was, look at the first half of any of Kuyt's goal compilations from his first year at Anfield. Garcia played a part a lot of them if im not mistaken, with very impressive passing, until he was ruled out for the rest of the season.

He was inconsistant with his tricks and flicks yes, but his reading of the game, his simple passes, and his play making were actually quite consistant. They just got overshadowed by his more high profile errors and occasionally amazing skills. But he was a lot more then that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

he was mentioned a few times actually but he's a massive risk to take, but if anyone was to turn his career (and attitude) around I would say Rafa could do it, but it would have to be a very good price.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Reganio, if you want a reminder of how important Garcia was, look at the first half of any of Kuyt's goal compilations from his first year at Anfield. Garcia played a part a lot of them if im not mistaken, with very impressive passing, until he was ruled out for the rest of the season.

He was inconsistant with his tricks and flicks yes, but his reading of the game, his simple passes, and his play making were actually quite consistant. They just got overshadowed by his more high profile errors and occasionally amazing skills. But he was a lot more then that.

I have to disagree. Nothing about Garcia was consistent. Put it this way - Would you be happy with him starting week in week out for us ? No chance. Why not ? Because he was one of the most inconsistent players to have played for the club in my memory. If he could play at his best week in week out, he would be one of the best in the world as his best is very good indeed.

The Luis Garcia of today is 2 years older than the one that wasnt good enough to start for us. Theres no need to have him and Benayoun in the squad and it would be silly to sell Benayoun and bring back Garcia.

Oh and in case you didnt know, Garcia turns 30 next week.

I have to disagree. Nothing about Garcia was consistent. Put it this way - Would you be happy with him starting week in week out for us ? No chance. Why not ? Because he was one of the most inconsistent players to have played for the club in my memory. If he could play at his best week in week out, he would be one of the best in the world as his best is very good indeed.

The Luis Garcia of today is 2 years older than the one that wasnt good enough to start for us. Theres no need to have him and Benayoun in the squad and it would be silly to sell Benayoun and bring back Garcia.

Oh and in case you didnt know, Garcia turns 30 next week.

Its looking like Pennant is gonna go. His name has been linked in all these players plus cash deals. We need a backup striker. Garcia would be a bargain bin replacement for both.

The massive massive difference between now and then is He was generally a first 11 man then when fit, and when he didnt start he nearly always came on. He wouldn't be anymore. He'd be backup. Nothing more. It IS progress to bring someone back to play a far lesser role then they did before.

If pennant goes and Voronin goes, both of which are very likely, then he makes more sense then another cheapo option.

I agree if Pennant stays it doesn't make sense. A backup being 30 years old wouldn't bother me very much. its not exactly over the hill, and he won't be playing a high number of games.

Of course, theres nothing suggesting it will happen. We're getting really good at making up rumours ourselves and debating them as thought they were true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Pennant has no place in the Liverpool squad, especially if Crouch goes.

To be honest, I'd take Garcia back in flash. If we are working on limited funds, his price-tag and versatility would be well suited to us. He'd slot in perfectly to our attacking three in midfield. He may not start week in, week out, but he'd offer more than Benayoun or Pennant would.

Has he been getting a look in at Atleti?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Only bit of transfer speculation from the BBC website today
    Portsmouth are set to launch a £10m bid for Liverpool striker Peter Crouch this week. (Daily Telegraph)

Come on, launch your bid already Harry, so we can snap the £10m off of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I know it's all speculation on these boards, but if it were anyway true about Garcia coming back, it just shows what a bad state of affairs the club is in.

Yes he had his moments, but imo he was one of the most frustrating players to watch and his dodgy moments certainly outweigh the good moments for me.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

DeadSkin wrote: »
    I know it's all speculation on these boards, but if it were anyway true about Garcia coming back, it just shows what a bad state of affairs the club is in.

Yes he had his moments, but imo he was one of the most frustrating players to watch and his dodgy moments certainly outweigh the good moments for me.

I'm with you on that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Garcia would be perfectly suited to our current formation, PERFECTLY suited to it.

I'm not saying he would be a certain starter, but, if we are shopping in the bargain basement, i'd love him back, and definately play him against the weaker opposition we'd face, think of the likes of Blackburn,Portsmouth,Birmingham,Reading,Wigan last year, that little ****ing genius could make a huge impact in games like that.

he was a massive player for us in his time at the club.

CL/Big Game opponents;

Mascherano--Barry
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    NewWF(silva?:))
    Torres

attacking subs;Babel,Garcia,Nemeth,New striker

Poorer opposition:

Mascherano--Barry
    -Garcia
    Gerrard
    Babel--
    Torres

Attacking subs;New WF(silva:)),Kuyt,New Striker

Garcia would be perfect anywhere across the front three, incl Gerrards position, and available for less than 5 million, probably around 3m

3639179727.jpg

No, no, no.

I loved Luis as much as the next man, but Benayoun is at least as good as him and just as versatile to have as backup. Buying him back would be a step backwards.

But on the other hand if he were free . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

There is a statement on Roma's website saying they are in talks with Liverpool and have received permission to talk with Riise.

On Goal.com {not a superb source} there is a report saying the price could be up to €8m, which is £6.35m at current excahnge rates, which would be a super piece of business.

Cant see it being this high but fingers crossed. Seem to be looking at a minimum in the region of £5m anyway according to the latest reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

DeadSkin wrote: »

I disagree totally about his dodgy moments out weighing his good. For me he will always be remembered for his goals against Juve and Chelsea on the way to Istanbul. He might have had a few flicks that dont come off, but I'll always remember the goals he scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

There is a statement on Roma's website saying they are in talks with Liverpool and have received permission to talk with Riise.

On Goal.com {not a superb source} there is a report saying the price could be up to €8m, which is £6.35m at current excahnge rates, which would be a super piece of business.

Cant see it being this high but fingers crossed. Seem to be looking at a minimum in the region of £5m anyway according to the latest reports.

Saw that last night so went off to check Roma's www site to confirm and couldn't see any mention of Riise on it. I'd have expected such a statement to be in their news section but ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

zing wrote: »
    Saw that last night so went off to check Roma's www site to confirm and couldn't see any mention of Riise on it. I'd have expected such a statement to be in their news section but ...
    If its anything like LFC tv that will be the last place you will see or hear it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

If its anything like LFC tv that will be the last place you will see or hear it;)

True but the article from goal.com that MementoMori referred to claimed Roma had issued a statement on their www site. Here's the article in question:
    http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=740799

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

True but the article from goal.com that MementoMori referred to claimed Roma had issued a statement on their www site. Here's the article in question:

I came across this
    John Arne Riise is a Roma player, at least according to the English press. According to The Sun' and 'Daily Mail',
    http://www.transfermarketweb.com/?action=read&idsel=18636

When I see those 2 comic books I usualy ignore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

and the statement is linked to on the front page of Romas sites

http://www.asroma.it/NewsDoc.aspx?Categoria=ITComunicatiFinanziari&Documento=9142

You can download the press statement there, not that i understand what it says besides Risse and Liverpool!

Here it is translated:
    As part of negotiations for today still ongoing with Liverpool Football Club aimed
    outright acquisition of entitlement to benefits of sports footballer JOHN ARNE
    RIISE, A. S. Rome S.p.A. said that was authorised by English clubs to deal with
    the agent of the player to assess whether there are conditions and the conditions for
    reach an agreement for economic performance of the same sports and
    carry out, if necessary, medical visits rite.
    Therefore, the advances spread today by some organs of the press and information
    should be considered premature.
    The A. S. Rome reserves to inform immediately via a notice on
    any developments of the operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Although i wouldn't particulary want Garcia back at this stage, i just have to respond to those who say he wasn't great or that his dodgy moments outweighed his good.
    Yes, Garcia could be really, really frustrating at times. He could have you screaming at the tv, but the thing about him was that he was a big game player. He was always the one to stand up to the task when you really really needed someone to. He got us on our way against Leverkusen and then finished them off in the second leg, got winning goals against Juve and Chelsea, then got the winning goal against Chelsea in the F.A Cup semi finals. The things we have achieved under Rafa were hugely influenced by Garcia. Brilliant player for Liverpool and it is those moments that i'll remember over any inconsistencies.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement