Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

We are being tenuously linked with Ivica Olić by Setanta. I think Newcastle declared an interest in him a while back too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Shamrok wrote: »
    We are being tenuously linked with Ivica Olić by Setanta. I think Newcastle declared an interest in him a while back too.

Yeah, saw that earlier. Hes a ridiculously hard working but unclinical striker. Why does that sound so familiar ? :p

Definitely not what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Tusky wrote: »
    Yeah, saw that earlier. Hes a ridiculously hard working but unclinical striker. Why does that sound so familiar ? :p

Definitely not what we need.

spot on. not what we need at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I just got made aware of this video,this was taken at our last legends night back in May.Some of you may be interested in giving it a look if you are thinking about coming to any of our nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

the spain match on now is a good chance to take a look at Sergio Garcia who we've been linked with a fair few times. He's playing in the exact position he'd be playing in for us, attacking right wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    the spain match on now is a good chance to take a look at Sergio Garcia who we've been linked with a fair few times. He's playing in the exact position he'd be playing in for us, attacking right wing.

yup and de la red who we have been linked to a few times. Also Pepe, Arbeloa and Alonso have started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

According to Sky Sports, Riise has completed his move to Roma for £3.96 million.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3707803,00.html

Edit: Setanta have the story too. Apparantely its from a statement by Roma.

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/06/18/PremSerie-A-Riise-completes-Roma-move/?facets/great-britain-locale/sport-space/football/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

That be €5m then, most reports seem to suggest it was pounds all along.

Details of Riise transfer.
    In short the below statement states that Riise was bought for a mere €5 million which will be paid in 4 equal payments to be effected on 1 July 2008, 30 Sep 2008, 31 July 2009 and 31 Jan 2010.

There are also few payments that will be paid according to Roma's Performances during Riise's Contract.

(i) € 0,1 milioni, for the first 2 seasons if Roma qualifies for the CL
    (ii) € 0,075 milioni, for every 25 appearances during official matches up to a max of € 0,3 milion

PLayer have signed a contract of € 2,8 milion for every season.

Quite surprised that we have agreed to allow them to pay in four installments, the last being almost 2 years away. Its only 5 million euros after all.

from asroma.it
    L 'A.S. Rome S.p.A. announced that it had reached agreement with Liverpool Football Club and
    Athletic Grounds Limited for the acquisition outright entitlement to benefits sports
    , JOHN ARNE RIISE footballer, with effect from 1 July 2008.
    To acquire this right, A. S. Rome to recognize a Liverpool Football Club
    consideration of € 5 million, payable in four instalments of equal amount, the first by 1
    July 2008, the second by September 30, 2008, the third by July 31, 2009 and the fourth
    by January 31, 2010, as well as the A. S. Rome recognize the Liverpool Football Club the following
    additional money: (i) € 0.1 million for each of two sports season from the
    2009/2010, in which the first team to participate all'Uefa Champions League, (ii) € 0075 million,
    every 25 presences made by Footballer in official races, up to a maximum of € 0.3 million.
    With the Footballer was signed a contract for economic performance sports duration
    four, which provides for the recognition of gross compensation of € 2.8 million for each
    sports season with a duration of the contract, as well as some individual premiums to achieve
    set goals sports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

That payment plan looks a bit ****e.
    We'll have to start doin similar deals if we are not gettin money up front

That payment plan looks a bit ****e.
    We'll have to start doin similar deals if we are not gettin money up front

a lot of deals are paid for over two years, a lot more than i thought when i looked into it before.

E55k a week for Riise, ha hasn't done too bad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

We've been doing that kind of deal for years now. Very few clubs stump up any sort of significant lump sum on day 1 if they can get away with it. It's one of the reasons why a few of our potential deals have fallen apart over the last few years - basically the 2 clubs couldn't work out payment structures that suited them both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Xabi is captain tonight for the spanish - few million extra onto his transfer then eh?

Im really gonna miss him to be honest. I really think if we dont look like getting Barry we should cut both deals and keep Xabi rather then looking for another alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Alonso hasn't performed for you in the league for two years though. He either needs a new challenge or a new system, either way, he ain't working out at Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He had a good game tonight judging by what I heard of the fivelive commentary.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Goodbye JAR. Best of luck.

£4m for him isnt the worst price for him, given his form and the fact that he has only only a yeat left on his contract. Would have been happier if we got a few moew quid. Would imagine that the payment plan might be pretty standard. However the fact that it was posted on the website is surely unusual. Anyone any ideas what may behind that?

Watching the Russia-Sweden game the boy Arshavin has looked quality - showed great awareness as well as some well tasty passing and didnt do too badly for with his finish for the goal. Really made a big difference to the Russian performance. Has also stood up well to some Swedish tackles, so reckon would be up to the physical side of the PL.He seems able to play in a variety of attacking midfielder/second striker as well as in a wide role possibly. He might be available relatively cheapish and we have done business with Petersburg before.
    Maybe a cheeky £8m bid to worry MON and Barry into being a bit more flexible on price? Although there is a tumour Newcastle have bid £11m for him.

An option no?

Apparently Alonso had an effort from his own half that was about a yard wide in the Greece game. Might have upped his price a bit more if it had gone in :p

I just seen the Alonso effort from his own half....it would have been a great goal,he also hit the post with a nice shot.

PHB wrote: »
    Alonso hasn't performed for you in the league for two years though. He either needs a new challenge or a new system, either way, he ain't working out at Liverpool

See, thats just not true. Hes been consistently good/ok over the last two years with a fair few excellent performances. In his first season, he was consistently excellent.

If he stays which is looking very unlikely, he needs to step up his game. Saying he hasnt performed in the last two years is selling him a bit short though.

SIDE NOTE : Arsharvin really impressed me tonight. He would be ideal for our RWF position. Hes strong, fast, can pass, shoot and beat a man. Although he would cost a fair bit, it wouldn't break the bank. Maybe 15m euros or so ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

watching highlights,alonso looked electric tonight.I hope rafa doesnt swap him for the inferior barry:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

dc69 wrote: »
    watching highlights,alonso looked electric tonight.I hope rafa doesnt swap him for the inferior barry:(

Pool don't play a system that suits him. I don't think he'd ever play as well for them.

Its being reported on 5live that Spurs have signed Bentley for 9.5m. They are really making good strides this transfer window. Modric, Dos Santos & Bentley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Thank god they signed Bentley I had to laugh when we were linked with him, he is grand for a midtable club like Spurs but any higher and he will be shown up for the average player he is.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Thank god they signed Bentley I had to laugh when we were linked with him, he is grand for a midtable club like Spurs but any higher and he will be shown up for the average player he is.

I gaurantee you we will sign a worse player than bentley.Wait until the season starts and you will wish we had bentley.

Also I think spurs will pip us to 4th this year.

Reganio 2 wrote: »

Maybe so but he was still better than most of the other wingers we have been linked with. i.e Downing & Milner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

yeah spurs really have mad-over their midfield this summer.

Its being reported on 5live that Spurs have signed Bentley for 9.5m. They are really making good strides this transfer window. Modric, Dos Santos & Bentley.

Would be surprised if this was true for a couple of reasons

- £9.5m seems a long way from the £15m Blackburn were looking for last week

- there were rumours that Villa had bid £15m for him (no CL football though - only UEFA via Intertoto at best)

- seems a bit of a strange signing from Spurs point of view

- would doubt that Blackburn would sell one of their top players when trying to recruit a new manager

I'm on the wait-and-see bench on this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Well so long JAR best of luck to you, hopefully he will be remembered for his good moments (which we didnt see much off recently) and not just for his own goal against chelsea.

They are really making good strides this transfer window. Modric, Dos Santos & Bentley.

not really. they've always had good attackers in their side, yet the defence goes largely ignored. i see the same thing happening this summer to be honest. cue another season of Spurs fans wondering 'what if King were fit?' imo

Would be surprised if this was true for a couple of reasons

- £9.5m seems a long way from the £15m Blackburn were looking for last week

- there were rumours that Villa had bid £15m for him (no CL football though - only UEFA via Intertoto at best)

- seems a bit of a strange signing from Spurs point of view

- would doubt that Blackburn would sell one of their top players when trying to recruit a new manager

I'm on the wait-and-see bench on this one

Bentley said he was off no matter who comes in
    Spurs are in london and have decent shout of champs league next year with all the new guys that came in.

• Advertisement

not really. they've always had good attackers in their side, yet the defence goes largely ignored. i see the same thing happening this summer to be honest. cue another season of Spurs fans wondering 'what if King were fit?' imo

I think if Liverpool bought those 3 players you would think they were making good strides in the transfer market.

Granted you have a point about their defense but how you can disagree that they are making good strides after those signings sends alarm bells ringing in my ears

Berbatov--Keane

D.Santos
    Modric
    Bentley

Zakora

Bale----Woodgate---King---Chimbonda

Robinson

That, to me, is a cracking team. Also have Bent on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

monkey9 wrote: »
    Although i wouldn't particulary want Garcia back at this stage, i just have to respond to those who say he wasn't great or that his dodgy moments outweighed his good.
    Yes, Garcia could be really, really frustrating at times. He could have you screaming at the tv, but the thing about him was that he was a big game player. He was always the one to stand up to the task when you really really needed someone to. He got us on our way against Leverkusen and then finished them off in the second leg, got winning goals against Juve and Chelsea, then got the winning goal against Chelsea in the F.A Cup semi finals. The things we have achieved under Rafa were hugely influenced by Garcia. Brilliant player for Liverpool and it is those moments that i'll remember over any inconsistencies.

so true so true...he never went missing. no matter how many times he messed up he always still looked for the ball and tried to get things going. would take him back in a heartbeat!! long live king luis!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

dc69 wrote: »

Highlights. That's the problem. He's only good (albeit very good) in patches. Essentially he doesn't have the pace for a top Premisership side. Too sluggish and so struggles to get involved. If he had pace he'd work fine for us.

I think if Liverpool bought those 3 players you would think they were making good strides in the transfer market.

no sh*t. and what's been Liverpool's strength over the past few years? their defence. different teams need different acquisitions for god sakes... what good is a Spurs team loaded to the hilt with attackers if they can't defend a lead?

that get's me thinking... Spurs attackers on Pool's defenders... /drool...

Dub13 wrote: »
    I just got made aware of this video,this was taken at our last legends night back in May.Some of you may be interested in giving it a look if you are thinking about coming to any of our nights.
    It's not playing for me, Dub13. I'll look it up on YouTube.

Highlights. That's the problem. He's only good (albeit very good) in patches. Essentially he doesn't have the pace for a top Premisership side. Too sluggish and so struggles to get involved. If he had pace he'd work fine for us.

Pace or not,he is far better than gareth Barry,who is pretty much muck imo.

It doesnt look like we are gona sign anyone good this season and it will be another year where we say "we can win it this year".

Only difference being,all the previous years we were saying,If new owners come in we can buy the players and it will all be good.The new owners are here now,have no money and we are pretty much the same as before..

We did buy some good players,but so did every team.

There is nothing really positive about being a Liverpool fan atm,the players we are linked with look like players Sunderland would be looking at aswel.Makes me feel sick tbh.

Spurs buy modric,dos santos etc and we are linked with downing and milner.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

fairly negative tonight aint ya DC69?! Barry is a very good player. and who knows who we might sign over the summer, best not to get stressed about it :)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    fairly negative tonight aint ya DC69?! Barry is a very good player. and who knows who we might sign over the summer, best not to get stressed about it :)

Yeah ,lol

Hopefully we get some surprises like babel was for next year.

Does anyone know if Lucas is playing tonight for brazil or on the bench even?

Well done, Dub13. Looks like it was a savage night.

• Advertisement

They are great nights,we are working on couple of big ones so watch this space (by that I mean here and Irishkop).

All the nights I've been to in the tram that Dub13 has organised with IrishKop have been cracking nights (apart from the noisy pikeys!:eek:) really recommend everyone who hasnt gone to any to give it a blast, great craic (especially if Molby is there:D)

bye bye Mr Riise: http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5grTUtGztAE7j4X7X10xCMT2TauVQ
    Liverpool's John Arne Riise has completed a five-million-euro move to AS Roma, the Italian first division club said on Wednesday.

i've said it before but I really would take Downing over Milner and Bentley - i think he will be a quality signing for one of the top teams and if he was around 8-10m would be very worth it.

Dub13 wrote: »
    They are great nights,we are working on couple of big ones so watch this space (by that I mean here and Irishkop).

Have you thought about recording the events properly and streaming them from the site? if you were interested i could give you a hand!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I really hope that everyone now just wishes riise the best - great servent to the club.

Just to cheer up those who are a bit depressed about our transfer dealings so far - dc69 in particular

I know it assumes a lot of sales

Degen 0
    Dossena -6.8
    Barry -16

Total Out -22.8

Riise 4
    Xabi 15
    Crouch 8
    Pennant 5
    Carson 5
    Finnan 3
    Guthrie 2
    Kewell 0
    Voronin 0
    Itandje 0

Total In 42

Net In 19.2

Transfer Kitty 20

Available to Spend 39.2m

Out of this 39.2m we would really really need a second striker and a backup keeper.

We would also have Degen, Dossena and Barry signed as well

Call_me_al wrote: »
    Have you thought about recording the events properly and streaming them from the site? if you were interested i could give you a hand!:D

Its something I have thought about but its on the long finger as they say,I may get back to you on it.

mayordenis wrote: »
    I really hope that everyone now just wishes riise the best - great servent to the club.

fishing.jpg

surely?!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Just to cheer up those who are a bit depressed about our transfer dealings so far - dc69 in particular

Degen 0
    Dossena -6.8
    Barry -16

Total Out -22.8

Riise 4
    Xabi 15
    Crouch 8
    Pennant 5
    Carson 5
    Finnan 3
    Guthrie 2
    Kewell 0
    Voronin 0
    Itandje 0

Total In 42

Net In 19.2

Transfer Kitty 20

Available to Spend 39.2m

Out of this 39.2m we would really really need a second striker and a backup keeper.

It doesn't look bad at all to be honest. We will just have to see how the window pans out after the euros.

• Advertisement

Degen 0
    Dossena -6.8
    Barry -16

Total Out -22.8

Riise 4
    Xabi 15
    Crouch 8
    Pennant 5
    Carson 5
    Finnan 3
    Guthrie 2
    Kewell 0
    Voronin 0
    Itandje 0

Total In 42

Net In 19.2

Transfer Kitty 20

Available to Spend 39.2m

The above is us getting rid of our 2nd choice keeper, 2 strikers & 2 wingers - all of whom would have to be replaced! Thats 5 players. Why in the world would we give Voronin or Itandje away for free also ?

8 of those players that you have for sale are first teamers. Thats a fairly mass outflux.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement