Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

What does anyone think of the suggestion that Rafa may be considering a 4-3-3 for next season?

Arbeloa- Carra - Agger - Dossena

Gerrard - Masch - Barry

New Winger - Torres - Babel

What does anyone think of the suggestion that Rafa may be considering a 4-3-3 for next season?

Arbeloa- Carra - Agger - Dossea

Gerrard - Masch - Barry

Its the new popular formation it seems. Personally I think Liverpool looked best when playing 2 wingers and Gerrard behind Torres.

All the people talking about Silva.....it stinks of Nani and Anderson-dom (which worked out ok for United) in that I have my suspicions a lot of you's havent seen much of him bar youtube vids and eZe's appraisal!!

He's a very promising player though I have to say, would be a good buy for you's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Arbeloa- Carra - Agger - Dossena

Gerrard - Masch - Barry

thats basically what we are playing except gerrard is pushed up and the two wingers are a little less advanced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Its the new popular formation it seems. Personally I think Liverpool looked best when playing 2 wingers and Gerrard behind Torres.

I know what you're saying, but seriously, when have we ever played two wingers? Babel, Kuyt, Benayoun etc are not wingers.

I think the 4-3-3 could work well against the weaker teams, we will still have (mostly) three in central midfield, but two would have license to get forward rather than just one. Can't really see any other reason to buy Barry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Tusky wrote: »
    What are you talking about ? Of course it will count! Rafa splashed the cash in January. Its reasonable to expect that he might not have as much to spend in the summer because of it. I'm not saying it was a bad move, Masch & Skrtel were good buys.

There was a loan taken out in January to pay for January transfers, summer transfers and Jan 2009 transfers. How much is spent in one window will most likely affect the budget for the next.

When we talk of the Net spend last year.
    Masch and Skrtel are included.

Out

Luis Garcia (Atletico Madrid, Spain) est £3.5 million
    Florent Sinama Pongolle (Recreativo Huelva, Spain) £2.7 million
    Djibril Cisse (Marseille) est £6.2 million
    Craig Bellamy (West Ham United) £7.5 million
    Mark Gonzalez (Real Betis) £4.1 million
    Gabriel Paletta (Boca Juniors) £2 million
    Momo Sissoko (Juventus) £9 million

£35

In

Fernando Torres (from Atletico Madrid, Spain) £23 million {middle ground from the guesses}
    Lucas Leiva (from Gremio, Brazil) est £4.5 million
    Ryan Babel (Ajax) £10 million (rising to £11.5 million)
    Yossi Benayoun (West Ham) £4.5 million
    Sebastian Leto £1.8 million
    Charles Itandje £1.2 million
    Martin Skrtel (Zenit Saint Petersburg) £6.5 million
    Javier Mascherano (West Ham{ish:p}) £17.5 million

£70.5 million

So net spend of £35.5 million

Is it so unrealistic to think that we can get £30 million this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

When we talk of the Net spend last year.
    Masch and Skrtel are included.

Out

Luis Garcia (Atletico Madrid, Spain) est £3.5 million
    Florent Sinama Pongolle (Recreativo Huelva, Spain) £2.7 million
    Djibril Cisse (Marseille) est £6.2 million
    Craig Bellamy (West Ham United) £7.5 million
    Mark Gonzalez (Real Betis) £4.1 million
    Gabriel Paletta (Boca Juniors) £2 million
    Momo Sissoko (Juventus) £9 million

£35

In

Fernando Torres (from Atletico Madrid, Spain) £23 million {middle ground from the guesses}
    Lucas Leiva (from Gremio, Brazil) est £4.5 million
    Ryan Babel (Ajax) £10 million (rising to £11.5 million)
    Yossi Benayoun (West Ham) £4.5 million
    Sebastian Leto £1.8 million
    Charles Itandje £1.2 million
    Martin Skrtel (Zenit Saint Petersburg) £6.5 million
    Javier Mascherano (West Ham{ish:p}) £17.5 million

£70.5 million

So net spend of £35.5 million

Is it so unrealistic to think that we can get £30 million this year?

Unfortunately, with everything that has gone on, I would say 30 million would be unrealistic yes. Why would Gillett agree to that if he is about to sell his shares ? Also, the 35m net spending last year was split between Summer/January. We spent a good 15m net in January.

I would love to be wrong. Id love nothing more than to splash the cash on quality players but you have to look at the facts.

-No one knows who will own the club by the start of the new season
    -Gerrard has been practically begging for transfer funds to be made available, would he be doing that if we had a high budget ?
    -The vast vast majority of targets we have been linked with suggest we are working on a tight budget
    -Rafa has been offering our players in exchange deals
    -I also think Rafa is giving out signals. Read any of his recent press conferences and interviews. He seems to be intent on underlining how hard it is to win the premier league because the other teams are spending so much. If you read between the lines, I think hes trying to say that he is working on a much smaller budget.

There seems to be alot of top players moving on this summer from different clubs and we havent been linked to any of them. Lahm, Alves, Ronaldiniho, Eto'o, Deco, Silva, Aimar, Villa, Berbatov. Instead, we are linked with Downing, Degen, Valencia, Garcia, Riera etc.

Hopefully DIC will come in and we can splash the cash next year OR even better - maybe I have read the signals wrong and we do have actually have a substantial budget.

I know what you're saying, but seriously, when have we ever played two wingers? Babel, Kuyt, Benayoun etc are not wingers.

I think the 4-3-3 could work well against the weaker teams, we will still have (mostly) three in central midfield, but two would have license to get forward rather than just one. Can't really see any other reason to buy Barry.

Well 4-3-3 could be a good plan B. U need more than one system to challenge for the league.

Tusky wrote: »
    Unfortunately, with everything that has gone on, I would say 30 million would be unrealistic yes. Why would Gillett agree to that if he is about to sell his shares ? Also, the 35m net spending last year was split between Summer/January. We spent a good 15m net in January.

Once again, football clubs run a fiscal year of June-June.
    It doesn't matter when doing up budgets, and tax reports etc, if the money is spent in Jan or July.
    The net spend from June to June is what matters.

Fair enough on the other point, if you think that £30 mill won't be available.
    I do disagree though.
    Hicks and Gilette both want to seem like the good guys.
    They need to keep the fans onside.
    also, we already secured a loan of som £50 million to be put towards transfers remember.
    Even if half of that is diverted, that's still £25 million!
    Lastly, the quality of players being ofloaded this year is higher, so we can expect more money back.

Compare Cisse and Belamy to Crouch and Alonso.
    Or Paletta to Carson!

We'll make more money back, so that'll be more money to spend.

I see us spending at least as much this year as last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

you'd never know it might give anderson the chance to make an impression

The fact that he plays for united may pose a problem though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

mormank wrote: »
    it was 5 goals...7 goals, pffffft
    Well, if you count the game against Tolouse it was seven so pffffft yourself :p.

2 v Tolouse
    1 v Porto
    1 v Marseille
    1 v Inter
    1 v Chelsea
    1 v Arsenal
    DesF wrote: »
    There is support, there is red-tinted specs, and there is delusional.

Dirk Kuyt is not as good as RvP, and he never will be.

To say that you'd have DK in a squad, any squad, ahead of RvP is delusional as to his actual ability.
    Well, it's clear we're not going to agree on this :). For what it's worth I don't think it's delusional. I would prefer Kuyt to go to the European Championships as a Liverpool supporter.

Mind you Euro 2004 didn't exactly help Baros come back and set the Premier League on fire did it?
    The fact that he plays for united may pose a problem though
    I'm sure you realise he means Paul Anderson but just in case...

malice_ wrote: »
    Well, if you count the game against Tolouse it was seven so pffffft yourself :p.

2 v Tolouse
    1 v Porto
    1 v Marseille
    1 v Inter
    1 v Chelsea
    1 v Arsenal

Well, it's clear we're not going to agree on this :). For what it's worth I don't think it's delusional. I would prefer Kuyt to go to the European Championships as a Liverpool supporter.

Mind you Euro 2004 didn't exactly help Baros come back and set the Premier League on fire did it?

I'm sure you realise he means Paul Anderson but just in case...

Well i seriously doubt he means Paul Anderson since Alonso is a CM and
    Anderson is a right winger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Yes i mean paul anderson.
    I also think that gerrard would drop back to cm while we wait for the boys to come back from the olympics.

possibly putting babel up front with paul anderson on the right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Anderson is an out and out winger so i dont know how Mach and lucas being at the olympics gives him any better shot at a chance...

On our money, from Hicks and Gilette's point of view, im not so sure they wouldn't see it as a bad idea to go for someone like Silva.

Looking at it like this; If they don't get a top notch winger, pool are very likely to not present a serious challenge. If they do get a top notch winger, the potential for money back in through success is significantly increased as we would then have a real chance of challenging. Also makes sense from marketing point of view as was seen with Torres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I thought he played on the wings?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Daemonic wrote: »
    Bet they're low fat crisps and the mars bar is fun-sized.

On the Torres to Chelsea hoopla, he seems to be a smart lad so I find it difficult to see him moving to the Chelsea Circus when he's adored at Liverpool. Money is obviously important to any professional player, but I don't see him being convinced by an extra 20-30k a week.
    The only reason he would leave is if Rafa made it clear he wasn't part of his plans for next season.....highly unlikely I imagine.

But if Chelsea were to offer £50 million for him, the owners might not want to turn that down. It’s an awful lot of money, and Chelsea can afford to pay cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

But if Chelsea were to offer £50 million for him Chelsea can afford to pay cash.

and drogba :rolleyes:

But if Chelsea were to offer £50 million for him, the owners might not want to turn that down. It’s an awful lot of money, and Chelsea can afford to pay cash.

i dont know...if the offer of 50million were accepted, then we still need to spend around 30million to find a replacement for him and there aren't to many of his quality around for sale..Villa, but while he's awesome, i dont think he'd adapt as well or work as well in that role of lone striker in a very physical league due to his size. Eto'o as well, but his form has dropped off a bit in the past year and he's had an awful lot of injuries.

So that means we lose the certainty of a fantastic player who suits the team down to the ground in favour of a very good striker who may or may not fit in together with another 20mill player (probably a winger). For a 20million boost, along with risk, it just doesn't seem worth it. IMO we'd need to be really really strapped for cash for it to be worthwhile. Torres is adored and adores liverpool. Just seems like a bad move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

And it would require Gillet & Hicks both agreeing to sell Torres and the odds of that happening are slim given that they can't agree on anything else

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

As I said before, it would also require Torres agreeing to join Chelsea.

Also with any transfer where the player isn't much of a willing participant, it's usually the manager who has signalled the intent to sell, and the threat of 'rotting in the reserves' looms. Can you imagine Rafa not selecting Torres next season because he has refused the owners wishes of being offloaded to Chelsea?

Pfft.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Regarding Anderson - I understand he is going to spend another season on loan with a Championship side.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Regarding Anderson - I understand he is going to spend another season on loan with a Championship side.

Mike.

I suppose thats not too bad, though i'd much prefer he got loaned to one of the promoted teams or even the likes of wigan, fulham or bolton. We need to see if he can handle the premiership.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    i dont know...if the offer of 50million were accepted, then we still need to spend around 30million to find a replacement for him and there aren't to many of his quality around for sale..Villa, but while he's awesome, i dont think he'd adapt as well or work as well in that role of lone striker in a very physical league due to his size. Eto'o as well, but his form has dropped off a bit in the past year and he's had an awful lot of injuries.

So that means we lose the certainty of a fantastic player who suits the team down to the ground in favour of a very good striker who may or may not fit in together with another 20mill player (probably a winger). For a 20million boost, along with risk, it just doesn't seem worth it. IMO we'd need to be really really strapped for cash for it to be worthwhile. Torres is adored and adores liverpool. Just seems like a bad move.
    Well said. That pretty much echoes my thinking. It's always a gamble when signing a player and Liverpool have been very fortunate to have Torres settle in the way he has. Fingers crossed his second season continues in the same vein!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

~Rebel~ wrote: »

aye it depends. realistically you wouldnt risk the backlash for 20 million but it is G+H so you never know
    spockety wrote: »
    As I said before, it would also require Torres agreeing to join Chelsea.

whilst i know its nice to think that he truly loves liverpool and will be there forever, and i know he took a paycut to join liverpool (though that i reckon was to play champions league football and win trophies), if chelsea say, offered him around £180,000 a week, i reckon he'd be gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

event wrote: »
    whilst i know its nice to think that he truly loves liverpool and will be there forever, and i know he took a paycut to join liverpool (though that i reckon was to play champions league football and win trophies), if chelsea say, offered him around £180,000 a week, i reckon he'd be gone

Quite possibly, but also maybe not.

Chelsea arent gonna offer him that wages anyway. They'd then also have to do likewise with Essien,Terry,Drogba,Lampard,Cech,Cole etc... wont happen.

and plus cant ever see Liverpool accepting an offer for Torres

Yes i mean paul anderson.
    I also think that gerrard would drop back to cm while we wait for the boys to come back from the olympics.

possibly putting babel up front with paul anderson on the right

What on earth formation would you be playing then may i ask?
    Persumiug 4-4-2
    Babel up front would mean gerrard and plessis in the middle with kuyt and anderson on the wings
    Unless you are playing against some very poor teams that midfield would be 100
    miles from good enough.

Oh and Torres is going nowhere, daft transfer rumour.
    Like the one that said Real were offering 100m for Ronaldo.
    Plus surely Atletico have a clause that will take a nice chunk of any sell on fee

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Share Liverpool Update

Not sure if this was posted on the last thread so here goes...

Next week ShareLiverpoolFC will launch in Ireland, taking our message directly to one of our most passionate and supportive territories. A press conference will be held in Dublin on 30 May.

Click Here for the full statement,keep an eye on that thread on Irishkop for more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Thats the thing, it doesn't matter in the slighest.

As always on this thread though, a FAN makes a reasonable point about a player for the club without making any bold claims yet someone, who tends to be relatively new to the thread and the supporter of another club, always disects what is said to death, makes some outlandish statement and the thread decends into pointless bickering for 5 or 6 pages.

This leads to accusations of throlling and so on as it is nearly impossible not to become petty or defensive in a situation like this. This naturally leads to calls for only fans to be able to post on these threads.

I genuinely believe that there isn't a single Liverpool fan that contributes to this thread that want supporters of other clubs retricted from posting on this thread. All we want is to able to talk about our club without some pedantic knobend turning it into a free for all.

this is obviously aimed at me...quite irronic that you are complainin about ppl being abusive and then you just couldnt resist abusing me at the end.

fwiw i really wanna respond by sayin no u are the blah blah...but i wont. its too classless. ill leave it to you.

i am a liverpool fan. have been all my life. my tow older brothers are liverpool fans. my father is a life long pool fan so please dont refer to me as a non fan. i wasnt being pedantic. i believe his figure for the champions league to be 5. cos that is how many he got in the champions league proper. true we would not have been there without him scoring in the qualifiers. we also would not be in the qualifiers without him scoring in the league last year so we finished in the top four!! also true. should we add these too?? goals scored in champs league is champs league proper. go read the original text which refers to it.

end of discunssion, kuyt scored 5 in the champions league proper and 2 in the qualifiers....oooh what a pointless waste of time this has been. but hey at least now everyone knows who i am. no one likes me but ye know who i am. to be infamous is better than not being famous at all(apparently)

raido9 wrote: »
    So David Healy would be a good bet for the golden boot at Euro 2008 so?

thank you!!!!

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    ar u seriously going on about this? some lad just counted kuyts 2 previous goals... they are not counted officailly in the actual tournament, he was just pointing them out. get over it

would u really not like to see kranckjar included in that!? maybe i just misread.. it doesn't matter. i just think that krankjar is a good player, very skillful... good cross.. free kicks his only negative point is that he isn't the quickest winger around. i'd have no problem seeing him join... anyone else??

niko is young and we could definitely do alot worse on the wings than him. he would be an improvement on what we have. better than the likes of pennant and benayoun..and i like benayoun fwiw. he offers us something different

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Quite possibly, but also maybe not.

Chelsea arent gonna offer him that wages anyway. They'd then also have to do likewise with Essien,Terry,Drogba,Lampard,Cech,Cole etc... wont happen.

and plus cant ever see Liverpool accepting an offer for Torres

as far as torres goin to chelsea is concerned. i think it would send out the most horrible signal to the fans that can possibly be sent out. and it may start a possible decline because of this. remember when we signed morientes and gerrard came out and said that this was the type of player we should be signing etc...how happy he was (i know he flopped, not the point) if we sold torres to chelsea i dont think anyone could blame gerrard for wanting to follow him to chelsea, thus sendin us back years and years in our developement as a team!!!

opinions???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The Torres thing is paper talk. And considering Torres took a pay-cut to sign for Liverpool, and has repeatedly professed his appreciation for the club, Rafa and the fans, I can't see him joining our biggest rivals of recent years - even if Tom Hicks, George Gillet and the board agreed to sell him. It's a non-story.

Krankjar is a good player. Is he a great player? I'm not sure. We've spent the last 10 years buying 'good' players, but they can only take you so far. This summer, more than any other, Liverpool need to spend money on great players. Chelsea and Man Utd have possibly the two best squads in the world - they have top class international players in every position, and on the bench too. Liverpool aren't quite there yet, and we won't get there if we settle for the likes of Bentley or Krankjar.

It has been suggested that Rafa wants Barry in order to create a 4-3-3 system, not dissimilar to Man Utd' current system. Barry would fill the left-side of midfield, playing alongside best mate and England teammate Gerrard on the right, with Macherano as the holding midfielder. This would also perhaps make sense of the Alonso exit rumours.

Reina
    Arbeloa-Carra-Agger-Aurelio
    Macherano
    Gerrard----Barry
    ----Kuyt
    Babel
    Torres

It's not totally unlike our current 4-2-3-1, but it's not something I really considered before. Gerrard has been revelling in his more advanced role, and Torres has benefited greatly from this. I'm not sure moving him deeper (in the Schole/Anderson role) would really benefit the team.

while i think utd will go from strength to strength i really dunno where chelsea will be this time next year. i mean drogba is almost certainly leaving. who knows after that. also arsenal appear to be going backwards...does this mean a man utd and liverpool str8 fight for the title next year????? would be great. of course we need one or two great players like you suggest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Regardless if Carvalho, Drogba, Essien, Lampard and Malouda all leave Chelsea, Abromovich will spend the money to make them contenders, if not favourites, for the league.

Arsenal's summer is just as critical as ours. They've already lost Flamini, Hleb looks set to follow, and Adebayour is another possible exit. Even without these exits, the squad already needed new players - particularly in central defense and midfield. This summer will define Arsenal for the next few years - will they invest big money into becoming serious contenders, or will they struggle to keep their stars, blood more youngsters and stick to Wenger's philosophy?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Torres wrote:
    "It is simply beyond comprehension. There is no circumstance in which Torres will be sold," Hicks' spokesman told The Mirror.

"Why would the owners invest so much money in supporting the manager, to then undermine that support? It is ludicrous."

Torres has also rejected the speculation saying he is happy to stay at Anfield.

"I am very happy at Liverpool," noted Torres. "I prefer not to think about these stories and to focus on Euro 2008.

"After the Euros I will go on holiday and then return to Liverpool.

"This is my team, my city and Anfield is my pitch. I can't tell you how good I feel about playing for Liverpool.

"It is so important to me that the fans think so highly of me. It is fantastic to see my name on the shirts of our fans.

"This was only my first season for Liverpool, and I can say without contradiction I want to play better here for many more yet."

From skysports.com

• Advertisement

young cristiano could learn something from torres ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Cyrus wrote: »
    young cristiano could learn something from torres ;)
    I did find it crazy that he said he's let us know what he's doing in 2-3 weeks. {ronnie that is}.

Is it so hard to say I'm staying?

mormank wrote: »
    kuyt scored 5 in the champions league proper and 2 in the qualifiers....oooh what a pointless waste of time this has been. but hey at least now everyone knows who i am. no one likes me but ye know who i am. to be infamous is better than not being famous at all(apparently)
    I didn't intend to kick off an argument, I simply wanted to offer some support to Kuyt. All I did was look in my Champions League highlights folder and count the number of times he scored as I knew it was a decent return in contrast to his league total. I forgot that the Tolouse game was a qualifier.

Remember folks, if someone annoys you that much, there's always the Ignore function :).

Now, onto a different matter, has anyone else seen this? It is supposed to be the new away jersey. Personally I think it looks horrible :). Given it's location I wonder what the chances are that it's fake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kaimera wrote: »
    I did find it crazy that he said he's let us know what he's doing in 2-3 weeks. {ronnie that is}.

lets see if torres is saying the same when he has been at liverpool as long as Ronnie has been at United. Also, Ronaldo HAS said he is STAYING. MANY TIMES.

kaimera wrote: »

It would be hard to say it particularly if it wasn't the truth.

I'd say he doesn't know himself yet what he's going to do.. could be in a 'grass is always greener..' mindset, and torn.

• Advertisement

Mark Lawrenson goes controversial..! (not) *YAWN*

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/05/27/mark-lawrenson-liverpool-mut-ditch-defensive-zonal-system-and-get-physical-64375-20977212/
    MARK LAWRENSON: Liverpool must ditch defensive zonal system and get physical
    May 27 2008 Liverpool Daily Post

RAFAEL BENITEZ can search the globe for solutions to his defensive problems this summer all he wants. But if he wants to cut down on the number of goals his team conceded from set-pieces last season then it’s not individuals he should be concerned with – it’s tactics.

Liverpool employ a zonal system, which has generally worked just fine during Benitez’s reign.

But once teams know you are going to set up like that, they work out ways of getting an extra man off to capitalise if the ball goes loose in the area.

From Benitez’s own analysis, Liverpool conceded 10 goals more from set plays than they did in the previous campaign and that is a worrying statistic.

One which suggests that something somewhere clearly isn’t working.

And while it’s plain to see that Benitez needs to fork out for some full-backs in the transfer window, it’s not as if wholesale changes to personnel throughout his defence are required.

In fact, centre-back is the one area in which you would you say there’s definitely no need to bring in reinforcements.

Certainly not as a matter of urgency anyway.

Martin Skrtel came in in January and did alright, Daniel Agger will be coming back next year, while Jamie Carragher and Sami Hyypia provide the experience to mix with the youth.

It looks like a strong unit, yet this is the area most responsible for avoiding the sort of goals Liverpool let in so frequently last season.

The players are more than capable of sorting that out themselves but Benitez might have to consider a change of tactics to make it happen.

And bringing in man-marking would be the ideal way to do that in my view. When the opposition has a free-kick, you’re responsible for one man and you need to stop him getting away.

I believe that’s still the most effective method of defending in the modern era, perhaps even more so considering what defenders can get away with in their own penalty area these days – you’re allowed to virtually grab hold of people.

Being more ruthless and bloody-minded in this way could be key to preventing those set-pieces resulting in goals and be worth an extra 10 or 12 points throughout the campaign.

There’s nothing wrong with the zonal system in open play, where you can pass players on to each other when the opposition has got the ball.

Having someone like Javier Mascherano and another player in a deeper midfield role in front of the defence works very well. It’s why so few teams get beyond Liverpool in open play, particularly down the middle.

But the central defenders are more than good enough and disciplined enough to pinpoint their man at a dead-ball situation and deal with it.

That didn’t happen enough last season but that’s no reason for Benitez to use any of his transfer budget on a new set of centre-backs.

The ones he has are fine – they just need to get a bit more physical.

Tauren wrote: »
    lets see if torres is saying the same when he has been at liverpool as long as Ronnie has been at United. Also, Ronaldo HAS said he is STAYING. MANY TIMES.

was his most recent comment that he was staying? i dont think so

El Nino wrote:
    "This is my team, my city and Anfield is my pitch. I can't tell you how good I feel about playing for Liverpool."

*Sniff Sniff*

Legend!!!!!:D

Now, onto a different matter, has anyone else seen this? It is supposed to be the new away jersey. Personally I think it looks horrible :). Given it's location I wonder what the chances are that it's fake?

It's real.

It's the new away strip.
    It was announced a few days ago, along with the new European away strip.

reminds me of the old grey kits of old, wasnt there a candy one and was there a crown paints one too?

Just candy it seems

LFC88AP.jpg

1989away.jpg?w=746&h=661

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I see it and it reminds me of Ronnie Rosenthal... awesome!

It's real.

It's the new away strip.
    It was announced a few days ago, along with the new European away strip.
    Oops, I missed that. I guess that explains why the current white away strip is being sold at a reduced price.

Oops, I missed that. I guess that explains why the current white away strip is being sold at a reduced price.

Yup.

The old Red strip is gone, and the white one is going in a few weeks.

The Grey one, and tourquise European strip along with the new Red, and old Black strips, to make up the four for the next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Yup.

and tourquise European strip .

Pics??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ive worn alan hansens 1984 european cup final jersey :) my mate down the road has it as his dad used to work for liverpool in the 80's. ive probably mentioned it before on this forum but meh... its deadly :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement