Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Just to cheer up those who are a bit depressed about our transfer dealings so far - dc69 in particular

I know it assumes a lot of sales

Degen 0
    Dossena -6.8
    Barry -16

Total Out -22.8

Riise 4
    Xabi 15
    Crouch 8
    Pennant 5
    Carson 5
    Finnan 3
    Guthrie 2
    Kewell 0
    Voronin 0
    Itandje 0

Total In 42

Net In 19.2

Transfer Kitty 20

Available to Spend 39.2m

Out of this 39.2m we would really really need a second striker and a backup keeper.

We would also have Degen, Dossena and Barry signed as well

be surprised if we get 3 for Finnan, 5 for Carson and if Voronin leaves but i do think we will get 10 for Crouch. I would be more than happy to keep Carson as a backup and think he will be satisfied to sit on the bench for a year.

also rumor has it our kitty is 15m, so if we say 35m to spend after Barry, Degen and Dossena isnt that bad tbh for that we could get a very decent striker and Silva - which would be nice!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

IF and thats a big IF, we have 35M i'll be delighted.

Silva - 18-20M
    New Forward?? -10-12M
    CM cover?? - 5M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

We're getting Silva.

I can feel it.

wildly optimistic this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I can't believe that Rafa would spend money on Dossena when he knows how important it is to strengthen on the wings. As such, there must be some money there to spend.

As for Barry vs. Alonso, Alonso has been really poor but I'm with dc69 when I don't think Barry is a hugely better player. Barry will improve you, but I don't think a huge amount. He does however seem to give you the option of playing Gerrard in central midfield, and as a team they work well together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Whats the story with babel.This guy is a striker,if rafa continues him next year on the wing,its a waste.

A 4-3-3 would be best,with babel,torres and ? rotating.Like man utd's strikers(I think they play 4-3-3)
    PHB wrote: »
    I can't believe that Rafa would spend money on Dossena when he knows how important it is to strengthen on the wings. As such, there must be some money there to spend.

This is why I think he is gona play 4-3-3,with fullbacks that can advance alot,and 3 strikers,cause babel really is a striker.So a striker who can play as a wide striker is whats needed imo.not a winger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote: »

As for Barry vs. Alonso, Alonso has been really poor but I'm with dc69 when I don't think Barry is a hugely better player. Barry will improve you, but I don't think a huge amount. He does however seem to give you the option of playing Gerrard in central midfield, and as a team they work well together.

Buying Dossena for 6m and selling Riise for 4m is only a 2m net spend. Hardly big money!
    jonny24ie wrote: »
    IF and thats a big IF, we have 35M i'll be delighted.

Silva - 18-20M
    New Forward?? -10-12M
    CM cover?? - 5M

That figure is based on us selling 2 wingers and 2 strikers & our 2 reserve keepers. If they do get sold, Rafa will replace them. Second choice LW, first choice RW, 2x backup strikers & backup keeper.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So a 4-3-3 of:

Reina
    Deegan--Carra---Agger--Dossena
    ----Gerrard--Masch---Barry----
    ----Silva
    Babel

Torres

Tusky wrote: »
    Buying Dossena for 6m and selling Riise for 4m is only a 2m net spend. Hardly big money!

Isnt dossena supposed to be quality?

Thats a fantastic bit of business if he is.I heard he was the best or atleast 2nd best lb in the league last yr.

and now we have a gap in the full backs, so Dossena is a priority...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Dc, pretty sure Babel played on the wing most of his time at Ajax?

He may turn into a striker, and has all the attributes to be one, but he aint there yet, not by a long shot, saw him play there at the Cardiff game this year iirc and he was no great shakes against a Championship team.

Not sure if Dossena coming in reveals anything too great about the money available, we needed a new first choice left back, Aurelio is always injured, Riise is gone, and Insua aint ready to be first choice yet. 7m for Dossena was good business, but it was a nescessary business.

PHB makes a good point though about Barry, if he comes in, he frees up the formation somewhat as he and Gerrard work well in a 4-4-2 formation.
    Maybe we may get a top quality striker, or see Dirk in a more conventional strikers role with a couple of new wide players coming in? Milner and Silva for example :)

• Advertisement

So a 4-3-3 of:

Reina
    ----Silva
    Babel

Torres

or

Reina
    Arbeloa--Carra---Agger--Dossena

Masch---Barry----
    ----Silva---Gerrard----Babel

Torres

looks a great line up if you ask me!

So a 4-3-3 of:

Reina
    ----Silva
    Babel

Torres

Id have it

Reina

Carra---Agger
    Deegan
    Dossena
    Masch
    Barry

Gerrard
    ----Silva
    Babel

Torres

So its really a 4-2-1-3 or a (2-2-2-1-3 :) )but yeah basically the formation you had,with gerrard as more of a play maker.Just imagine our strikers playing like barca,so they switch around to confuse.

But they are so advanced,they are strikers more than wingers.

Or dare i say,skrtel and agger cb and carra rb?

dc69 wrote: »
    Isnt dossena supposed to be quality?

Thats a fantastic bit of business if he is.I heard he was the best or atleast 2nd best lb in the league last yr.

Hes highly rated yeah. Its probably the signing that Im most happy about.

I dont see Rafa ever playing 4-3-3 on a regular basis. Its a very attacking formation. Even when we play with two holding players in a 4-2-3-1 he has obviously demanded that the wide attackers get back to defend. Dont see 4-3-3 happening.

Also, to whoever said that he is buying attacking full backs for a 4-3-3 formation...well that doesnt really make sense. If you were playing 4-3-3 you wouldnt want your full backs to be too far forward.

I think this is most likely -

Reina
    Arbeloa--Carra---Agger--Dossena

Masch---Barry----
    ----x
    Gerrard----Babel

Torres

Our budget will be stretched though. Assuming Kuyt will be backup for the RWF position and Benayoun is backup for Gerrard, we will need fresh backup for Babel and also a new striker to replace Crouch. We will also need to buy a new back up keeper. How much this will leave for the most important position (RWF) remains to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

If Bently was bought by spurs for £9.5m and we sign milner for £7.75M (as been reported) i think i might just have to go have a cry,:(.

Bently is twice the player milner is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Just watched the Spain game.How we could think that replacing a player of Alonso's quality with a halfwit like Barry is beyond me.He was pure quality tonight.To think that we will sell him for 15 million and have to pay Villa 15+ for Barry:mad::mad: i cant even put into words how stupid this is!!! God i hope his sale falls through.Madness

If Bently was bought by spurs for £9.5m and we sign milner for £7.75M (as been reported) i think i might just have to go have a cry,:(.

Bently is twice the player milner is

Agreed. Bentley is average and that is a good indicator of where the level of milner is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I know im always sh ite ing on about Arshavin, but imagine him in our team. ive watched him over the last couple of years and have been amazed the big clubs havent been in to buy him. Hes tiny but is still really strong, sure he made the big physical Swedish defence look like a joke tonight.

Apparently Newcastle are going to offer 13m for him, he'd be a bargain at that.

Alonso looked decent for Spain tonight as well.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Sorry should have said I don't really expect all of those players to be sold, but I do expect quite a lot of them to be moved on.

Riise's gone and somehow I don't think Kewell's going to play for us for free.
    So they're both gone.

On Carson - wouldn't mind hanging on to him as second choice keeper, but I think he wouldn't be too happy on the bench, esp after playing so much for Villa and making his England debut last season. I think he would view it as a step back which was why he came out with the statement about pricing him out of a move. More likely to go than to stay in my view.

On Itandje - seems to be a lot of talk about him being on the way out and given we were clearly talking to Rame and have been linked with Quim, I think this is likely - listed him at zero as I don't think we would be getting much in the way of cash. Would be very surprised if he was still a Liverpool player next season.

Xabi - Not going to go into the whole thing but I just have the feeling he's on the way out. Would be very surprised if he was still at Anfield next season.

Crouch - Looks very likely imo that he won't be at Liverpool next season. Given it looks like a question of minimum £8m now or nothing in a year, then I think we have to take the minimum £8m now. Given he refused to sign a contract extension and seems pretty hungry to be a first choice player, would be surprised if he was still at Anfield next season.

Guthrie - I think he knows he is just too far down the pecking order and after the success of his loan-season at Bolton I can definately see him being snapped up by a lower level premiership team. £2m might even be a bit low for him, given his age and future potential. Be very surpried if he was still on our books next season.

Pennant - Given Rafa has come out and said the bit about selling to buy along with the fact that he seems to have been offered to everyone and their mother in part exchange, along with the fact that he seems well down the pecking order, his age and personal issues, I think he is more than likely to hit the road. If we get any sort of decent offer I think Liverpool will take it, in order to reinvest.

Finnan - I think he is just surplus to requirements given our defensive cover options mainly due to his age. A move to Villa/Newcastle etc would make a lot of sense - maybe £3m would be a bit high but he just signed a new contract last year iirc.

Voronin - Ok on this one its hope that we don't see anymore of him in a Liverpool shirt. I would be well pleased to see him moved on - Possibly a loan deal back to the Bundesliga? Given we got him on a free could envision a situation where we end up paying some portion of his wages. Would prefer an out-of-sight out-of-mind situation. so I could forget all about him. Can see it might make some sense to hang onto him in case of extreme emergencies but I just want him gone.

May be that I am a bit ruthless but f*ck it, would think a strong case can be made for all of the players on the chopping board.

I know im always sh ite ing on about Arshavin, but imagine him in our team. ive watched him over the last couple of years and have been amazed the big clubs havent been in to buy him. Hes tiny but is still really strong, sure he made the big physical Swedish defence look like a joke tonight.

Apparently Newcastle are going to offer 13m for him, he'd be a bargain at that.

Alonso looked decent for Spain tonight as well.....
    SIDE NOTE : Arsharvin really impressed me tonight. He would be ideal for our RWF position. Hes strong, fast, can pass, shoot and beat a man. Although he would cost a fair bit, it wouldn't break the bank. Maybe 15m euros or so ?

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Just watched the Spain game.How we could think that replacing a player of Alonso's quality with a halfwit like Barry is beyond me.

Watch football much? Seriously, Rafa is replacing a versatile proven preforming prem player with a player that simply isn't. Sometimes transfers are easy, like this one.

Boggles wrote: »
    Watch football much? Seriously, Rafa is replacing a versatile proven preforming prem player with a player that simply isn't. Sometimes transfers are easy, like this one.

Thanks for your input.I watch football a lot thanks very much.Are you trying to tell me Barry is a better player than alonso? Ah well.Everyone is entitled to an opinion arent they:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Barry is probably not as good as alonso but he may be better for the team.
    Sometimes we need to over look the player and focus on what he adds to the team.

Thanks for your input.I watch football a lot thanks very much.Are you trying to tell me Barry is a better player than alonso? Ah well.Everyone is entitled to an opinion arent they:rolleyes:

Depends how you gauge a player. I tend to like actions instead of reputations. So for me yes Barry is the better player. But it's not solely my opinion, the Liverpool manager seems to agree with me. Then again he is also entitled to his opinion. ;)

i dont quite get the point your making, may have missed something, but he did look brilliant against Sweden today especially if you consider the season Mellberg had. it was almost like the Swedish defence weren't there at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Xabi - Not going to go into the whole thing but I just have the feeling he's on the way out. Would be very surprised if he was still at Anfield next season.

mystic-meg-horoscop_384331a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Cheeky bugger

My feeling may have something to do with recent transfer rumours in the press.

Although my ma sometimes claims to be physic ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i dont quite get the point your making, may have missed something, but he did look brilliant against Sweden today especially if you consider the season Mellberg had. it was almost like the Swedish defence weren't there at times.

See you are taking Alonso's performance from tonight and taking into account Mellberg's performance throughout the season. If you lookat Alonso's performances for the past 2 seasons he has been fairly non exsistent most of the time. Pretty much since Fatty broke his ankle (Might not have been broke) he hasn't been the same player. I love the chap but he hasn't done it for Liverpool for a while now.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    See you are taking Alonso's performance from tonight and taking into account Mellberg's performance throughout the season. If you lookat Alonso's performances for the past 2 seasons he has been fairly non exsistent most of the time. Pretty much since Fatty broke his ankle (Might not have been broke) he hasn't been the same player. I love the chap but he hasn't done it for Liverpool for a while now.

Don't think he was talking about Alonso mate, that Russian guy I'd guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Boggles wrote: »
    Don't think he was talking about Alonso mate, that Russian guy I'd guess.
    Ooops sorry thought he was talking about Alonso, then again I didn't notice he quoted someone and I should have realised that Spain weren't playing Sweeden :o. Point still stands though :D.

Ooops sorry thought he was talking about Alonso, then again I didn't notice he quoted someone and I should have realised that Spain weren't playing Sweeden :o. Point still stands though :D.

In fairness to you, if it was true it would be an excellent point. :D

well while I was talking about Arshavin and your point stands about alonso it would be nice if you actually read back over the thread before you made the same point that has been made a lot. Alonso is the better player than Barry but rarely plays to his potential which was seen somewhat tonight. this i think is a fairly accepted point around here....

and who is fatty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Alonso is the superior player but hasn't performed at anywhere near the level he can for about 2 seasons. This is undisputable.

Barry has consistently impressed for Villa in recent seasons with last season being his best. I think this is reflected in him being given the captains armband during the recent England friendly.

At this stage, we need a talented player that will consistently deliver as oppossed to an extremely talented player that is always coming up short.

I said previously I would hate to see Alonso go and this still stands. Saying that, if I wanted him to be replaced by anyone, Barry would be one of two or three players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Call_me_al wrote: »
    well while I was talking about Arshavin and your point stands about alonso it would be nice if you actually read back over the thread before you made the same point that has been made a lot. Alonso is the better player than Barry but rarely plays to his potential which was seen somewhat tonight. this i think is a fairly accepted point around here....

and who is fatty?

Lampard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

lol ^^

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Lampard

ah i get it now, i thought you were saying since alonso(fatty) broke his ankle rather than lampard(fatty) broke alonso's ankle.

i get jokes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Alonso is the superior player but hasn't performed at anywhere near the level he can for about 2 seasons. This is undisputable.

I hate the way it's constantly bandied about that Alonso has been poor for two seasons and accepted as gospel. He was absolutely immense in his first season with us - since then, he'd had a run of niggling injuries, and his role has gradually changed from a typical CM into the team's metronome.

In our current system, a player with his ability to spot a pass and pick out a man are vital. We have Macherano to do the dirty work, and we have Gerrard to provide the creativity. Alonso is the heartbeat of the team, and while his job doesn't seem him harrass and bully players like Macherano, or provide through-balls for Torrres like Gerrard, he is no less indespensible.

It's no co-incidence that our form picked up dramatically when he regained fitness and his place in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

I hate the way it's constantly bandied about that Alonso has been poor for two seasons and accepted as gospel. He was absolutely immense in his first season with us - since then, he'd had a run of niggling injuries, and his role has gradually changed from a typical CM into the team's metronome.

In our current system, a player with his ability to spot a pass and pick out a man are vital. We have Macherano to do the dirty work, and we have Gerrard to provide the creativity. Alonso is the heartbeat of the team, and while his job doesn't seem him harrass and bully players like Macherano, or provide through-balls for Torrres like Gerrard, he is no less indespensible.

It's no co-incidence that our form picked up dramatically when he regained fitness and his place in the team.

Couldnt agree more with that post.
    A big problem with Alonso is that Liverpool changed their system a few times
    in the past 2 years which didnt always suit him.
    The new system does suit him and if he wasnt injured he would have had
    a excellent season instead of an excellent 3 months to be honest.
    Dont really know why Rafa doesnt keep Alonso for 1 more year and if his
    form isnt up to scratch, then sell him.
    Its not as if Alonso is the weak area of the team, far from it.
    Even at 70% he is one of the best CM in the league.
    It is worth tweaking the team to get the best out of him as at his best
    only Fabregas is better than him in his position.
    Then again we probably dont know the entire story and im sure Rafa is not
    selling him and going through all the hassle of trying to get Barry if he didnt
    know something that we dont.

Oh and why on earth are people saying that Alonso has been poor for the past 2 seasons?
    He has been anything but poor. Granted he hasnt reached the level of performance
    that he did in his first season but he has still performed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

IrishMike wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more with that post.
    A big problem with Alonso is that Liverpool changed their system a few times
    in the past 2 years which didnt always suit him.
    The new system does suit him and if he wasnt injured he would have had
    a excellent season instead of an excellent 3 months to be honest.
    Dont really know why Rafa doesnt keep Alonso for 1 more year and if his
    form isnt up to scratch, then sell him.
    Its not as if Alonso is the weak area of the team, far from it.
    Even at 70% he is one of the best CM in the league.
    It is worth tweaking the team to get the best out of him as at his best
    only Fabregas is better than him in his position.
    Then again we probably dont know the entire story and im sure Rafa is not
    selling him and going through all the hassle of trying to get Barry if he didnt
    know something that we dont.

Oh and why on earth are people saying that Alonso has been poor for the past 2 seasons?
    He has been anything but poor. Granted he hasnt reached the level of performance
    that he did in his first season but he has still performed

Alonso is a great player, and I agree that he is the heartbeat of the team. I would prefer to see him stay but if he is going to go, then I think Barry is a good replacement as he is the type of player who can do that job. They are both no-fuss ball playing midfielders who keep the game running and get on with their business without being spectacular. Barry's only trump card over Xabi is the goal threat he poses, especially with his delivery into the box. I'll be sad to see Xabi leave, but I won't slate Rafa for it just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,305 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Alonso is a great player, and I agree that he is the heartbeat of the team. I would prefer to see him stay but if he is going to go, then I think Barry is a good replacement as he is the type of player who can do that job. They are both no-fuss ball playing midfielders who keep the game running and get on with their business without being spectacular. Barry's only trump card over Xabi is the goal threat he poses, especially with his delivery into the box. I'll be sad to see Xabi leave, but I won't slate Rafa for it just yet.

goal threat, did you miss xabi almost chip the keeper from his own half and then smack the inside of the post last night??

i think he is stifled with us having to play a deeper role, i think he could be a super player in the hole aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I agee with the large number of posters here who find it hard to fathom why we would replace Alonso with Barry.
    I thought he was playing very well alongside Mascher in midfield. He could still get forward a little bit more as has been suggested cause he has the ability to pick a pass or have a crack at goal.

I agree that Barry is a decent player, but imo he is not on a par with Alonso. I will be very disappointed and disillusioned if these deals go ahead as has been widely reported. They only way I would agree with the sale of Alonso is if he was being replaced by a player of the calibre of DeRossi or the like.
    I am hoping that we can't agree a fee with Villa and they tell us to go and fcuk ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Especially for the money that Villa are demanding, when you start talking about double figures when it comes to Barry, that's when you know things are ridiculous. As IrishMike says, maybe there's something going on in the backround that we don't know about, but i definately agree with the point of keeping Xabi for another season. Surely, the 15m or whatever it is that we're prepared to spend on Barry can be better spent elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

The goal threat that Barry brings is much higher than the occasional chip of the keeper from halfway.That saying Xabi does bring a good level of rhythm to our passing and play.

His delivery from corners and free kicks is normally perfect in a great area that teams cannot defend. Look at the ammount of set piece goals that Villa scored last year to see why MON is so desperate to hang on to him.

He can consistantly score penalties, while Stevie can be hit and miss.

His link up play and passing are excellent and would need no adjustment time to the leagues style.

I also think that rafa is thinking about the 6+5 or whatever variation of that rule that may come in, and i do think that this rule will come in in some form or another.

Another reason that i feel Barry is being brought in for is that maybe Xabi wants to leave, remember he became a father for the first time and might want to bring up his child elsewhere, he may have had a falling out with Rafa about not travelling at that stage. This last point though is all pure guesswork!

At the end of the day villa want 20 million for barry :pac: and we want to pay 15 million (which is way way over the odds imo),thats a hell of a difference, so fingers crossed that Rafa tells MON to stuff it and keeps Alonso :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Cyrus wrote: »
    goal threat, did you miss xabi almost chip the keeper from his own half and then smack the inside of the post last night??

i think he is stifled with us having to play a deeper role, i think he could be a super player in the hole aswell

Barry is a much, much bigger goal threat.

Look at the stats.

Xabi Alonso

05/06: Games (including subs): 54 – Goals: 5 - Assists: 9
    06/07: Games (including subs): 51 – Goals: 4 - Assists: 1
    07/08: Games (including subs): 26 – Goals: 2 - Assists: 2

Total = Games (including subs): 131 – Goals: 11 - Assists: 12

Gareth Barry

05/06:Games (including subs): 42 – Goals: 6 - Assists: 3
    06/07:Games (including subs): 39 – Goals: 9 - Assists: 4
    07/08:Games (including subs): 38 – Goals: 10 - Assists: 10

Total: Games (including subs): 119 – Goals: 25 - Assists: 17

Alonso's played more games, in a better side with better teamates, in his perferred position (unlike Barry who's moved from leftback, to left midfield, to the center), and still Barry's scored way more goals. and has a lot more assists.

All this sh*te is gettting annoying.
    Alons is a great player, and he could heave been an amazing one.
    But he didn't.
    Barry is a great player in a good team, and will be a good player in a great team.

He'll bring a lot to us in general team play, as well as his individual input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,305 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Barry is a much, much bigger goal threat.

Look at the stats.

Xabi Alonso

05/06: Games (including subs): 54 – Goals: 5 - Assists: 9
    06/07: Games (including subs): 51 – Goals: 4 - Assists: 1
    07/08: Games (including subs): 26 – Goals: 2 - Assists: 2

Total = Games (including subs): 131 – Goals: 11 - Assists: 12

Gareth Barry

05/06:Games (including subs): 42 – Goals: 6 - Assists: 3
    06/07:Games (including subs): 39 – Goals: 9 - Assists: 4
    07/08:Games (including subs): 38 – Goals: 10 - Assists: 10

Total: Games (including subs): 119 – Goals: 25 - Assists: 17

Alonso's played more games, in a better side with better teamates, in his perferred position (unlike Barry who's moved from leftback, to left midfield, to the center), and still Barry's scored way more goals. and has a lot more assists.

All this sh*te is gettting annoying.
    Alons is a great player, and he could heave been an amazing one.
    But he didn't.
    Barry is a great player in a good team, and will be a good player in a great team.

He'll bring a lot to us in general team play, as well as his individual input.

fair enough, how many were penalties tho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

At the end of the day villa want 20 million for barry :pac: and we want to pay 15 million (which is way way over the odds imo),thats a hell of a difference, so fingers crossed that Rafa tells MON to stuff it and keeps Alonso :).
    You forgot something very important. Xabi needs to pull his socks up and influence games like we know he's capable of. If he's unhappy and wants out for whatever reason then there's not a whole lot else Rafa can do other than sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Cyrus wrote: »
    fair enough, how many were penalties tho?

Couldn't tell you, can't find a sat site that comprehensive.
    Alonso is one of our penalty takers too though, and you get very few assists from penalties!:p

Barry is a better crosser than anyone on our team.

And the fact that he's such a good penalty taker is a good thing.
    We don't have a proven penalty taker.
    Gerrard hasn't the best record, and Xabi's the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

We'll see how many crosses, assists and goals Barry gets if Rafa plays him in the same position as Alonso...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I dont really mind if we get Barry or not as long as we dont pay anything near the ridiculous price Villa want for him.

on another note

Best of Luck JAR, great servant to the club. Not a bad bit of business especially with Dossena heading to our shores

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement