Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Rumours And General Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

On the contrary, they have "written" an article entirely based upon irrelevant quotes and have stuck in their own opinions and conclusions. You're right, it's not lazy journalism. It's absolutely rubbish journalism.

They may know more than we do about the situation and as I said, I'd be extremely shocked if we bid for Villa - but that doesn't excuse it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

The Echo is as full of lazy journalism as any other paper. It's not that unusual to see two stories from two different journalists contradicting each other in it. That said Prentice isn't the worst of them (even if he is a bluenose - iirc) but he's no where near as informed re LFC as TB is (and CB before him).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

PiE wrote: »
    On the contrary, they have "written" an article entirely based upon irrelevant quotes and have stuck in their own opinions and conclusions. You're right, it's not lazy journalism. It's absolutely rubbish journalism.

They may know more than we do about the situation and as I said, I'd be extremely shocked if we bid for Villa - but that doesn't excuse it.

Tell you what.

You show me one concerete link of Villa coming to Liverpool?
    There is none.

You show me all the papers saying there is.
    There's loads.

Now an article comes out saying that there is no link, as Villa has recently come out and said, and you say it's lazy journalism!

No. It's not.
    It's a journalist debunking lazy journalism.

Look at the facts.

No reports from LFC of interest.
    Valencia say no interest.
    Villa says no interest.

This journalist looked into the fact that there is no reported link from Liverpool to Valencia, and said.....THERE'S NO LINK FROM LIVERPOOL TO VALENCIA!!!!!

He looked at Villa saying that he had been misquoted in saying that he was interested in Liverpool, and said.....VILLA SAYS THAT HE'S MISQUOTED ON COMING TO LIVERPOOL!!!!!

This article is the exact opposit of lazy journalism FFS!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'm hearing rumours on RAWK about Bullard coming to Liverpool. What would everyone think of that move? Personally i feel it would be a good one. He would be great backup for Gerrard and may accept a bit part role at anfield.

I have said all along and continue to say that we NEED 6 central midfielders next season to cover the 3 positions.

Mascherano, Barry (assuming he comes) and Gerrard will naturally be first choice. Lucas, Plessis and one other would be backup.

If he costs 5 million or less he would represent good value and it would mean we have wrapped up all our defensive/midfield needs very efficiently. Net cost is ZERO (or minus 1 million).

Out:
    Carson 5, Riise 4, Finnan 2, Alonso 15, Guthrie 2

In:
    Barry 15, Bullard 5, Dossena 7, Degen 0

So that means we'll have all the money the owners (15-20m?) give us plus proceeds from the sales of Pennant and Crouch (6+10m). This will give us a decent kitty of 35-40 million to improve our attacking options. How Rafa uses that will define our season.

I firmly believe that with one quality signing for the Right/Left wings and a bit of luck with injuries we will definitely come close next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'm hearing rumours on RAWK about Bullard coming to Liverpool. What would everyone think of that move? Personally i feel it would be a good one. He would be great backup for Gerrard and may accept a bit part role at anfield.

I have said all along and continue to say that we NEED 6 central midfielders next season to cover the 3 positions.

Mascherano, Barry (assuming he comes) and Gerrard will naturally be first choice. Lucas, Plessis and one other would be backup.

If he costs 5 million or less he would represent good value and it would mean we have wrapped up all our defensive/midfield needs very efficiently. Net cost is ZERO (or minus 1 million).

Out:
    Carson 5, Riise 4, Finnan 2, Alonso 15, Guthrie 2

In:
    Barry 15, Bullard 5, Dossena 7, Degen 0

So that means we'll have all the money the owners (15-20m?) give us plus proceeds from the sales of Pennant and Crouch (6+10m). This will give us a decent kitty of 35-40 million to improve our attacking options. How Rafa uses that will define our season.

I firmly believe that with one quality signing for the Right/Left wings and a bit of luck with injuries we will definitely come close next season.

err, no thank you. If Gerrard gets injured, Benayoun or Babel can play in his position. We have enough other positions to worry about without spending money there.

LW backup
    RW first choice
    GK backup
    CF x 2 backup

Tusky wrote: »
    err, no thank you. If Gerrard gets injured, Benayoun or Babel can play in his position. We have enough other positions to worry about without spending money there.

LW backup
    RW first choice
    GK backup
    CF x 2 backup

We don't need two CF. We only play one up top. We need one player as backup for Torres. Someone who has pace and strength and can lead the line on his own. Then we definitely need two more attacking players. One, i agree, has to be first choice and top quality. We should sign them first and let their price dictate who we buy for other position.

I have no idea who our backup striker should be, but we don't need two. Remember Kuyt, Babel, Nemeth can all fill in there and i'm almost certain Voronin will be here next season.

For the two other attacking options i'm leaning towards Silva or Arshavin (how good was he last night) for the starting role and Zarate perhaps for the backup. I don't necessarily think we need wingers. Attacking midfielders who cut inside will suffice if Dossena and Degen are as attacking as they are supposed to be.

On Bullard, i think, at a low price, he would be excellent backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

No to bullard thanks. I'd prefer to see lucas or reserve players get more games.
    I'm sick of all these stop gap players-why not blood some younger lads?

No to bullard thanks. I'd prefer to see lucas or reserve players get more games.

I'm certan Plessis, Insua and Nemeth will feature next season. Unfortunately no one else is really good enough yet (Please don't say Spearing anybody).

Lucas will be a huge player next season. Maybe not quite first choice but he'll certainly push Barry i think, though i wonder if he's more suited to Gerrard's role further forward.

We don't need two CF. We only play one up top. We need one player as backup for Torres. Someone who has pace and strength and can lead the line on his own. Then we definitely need two more attacking players. One, i agree, has to be first choice and top quality. We should sign them first and let their price dictate who we buy for other position.

I have no idea who our backup striker should be, but we don't need two. Remember Kuyt, Babel, Nemeth can all fill in there and i'm almost certain Voronin will be here next season.

For the two other attacking options i'm leaning towards Silva or Arshavin (how good was he last night) for the starting role and Zarate perhaps for the backup. I don't necessarily think we need wingers. Attacking midfielders who cut inside will suffice if Dossena and Degen are as attacking as they are supposed to be.

The two center forwards comment was based on Crouch & Voronin being sold which seems to be the general consensus on this board. However, I dont think he will be sold.

The problem with 4-2-3-1 is that is completely reliant on Torres being fit. It needs a fast, clinical striker that will score lots of goals. It will be difficult to find one of them who is willing to sit on the bench. I think that if he does get injured, we should change to 4-4-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

jimmy bullard is nearly 30, there would be no logic buying him, he's a grand wee player but for a team like liverpool, no chance. Youd be better using the lad that was on loan to bolton a chance

• Advertisement

The two center forwards comment was based on Crouch & Voronin being sold which seems to be the general consensus on this board. However, I dont think he will be sold.

The problem with 4-2-3-1 is that is completely reliant on Torres being fit. It needs a fast, clinical striker that will score lots of goals. It will be difficult to find one of them who is willing to sit on the bench. I think that if he does get injured, we should change to 4-4-2.

I agree. But our 4231 is flexible and easily changed to 4231. Without Torres it could look something like

Mascherano
    Barry

Gerrard
    New Arrival

Babel
    Kuyt/New Signing

Those front 4 can easily be switched around to different positions.

With the same personnel we can play a variety of formations. Kuyt, Gerrard, Benayoun, Barry, Babel are all very versatile.

But let's hope whatever striker we do sign will be good enough to lead the line with good support from Gerrard and Co.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

zing wrote: »

I told you all about that game on this thread a couple of weeks ago.

event wrote: »
    jimmy bullard is nearly 30, there would be no logic buying him, he's a grand wee player but for a team like liverpool, no chance. Youd be better using the lad that was on loan to bolton a chance

Really? I thought he was only in his mid twenties. Oh well, maybe not then. Guthrie is definitely not good enough for Liverpool, unfortunately. He's a bolton player.

Dub13 wrote: »
    I told you all about that game on this thread a couple of weeks ago.

Give that man a can of coke!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Give that man a can of coke!

7 UP please I don't like coke.

You have to be on the ball to get cheap flights so its good if you can get in before these games are confirmed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

spearing

but seriously if we can buy bullard for any where near 5 million then I would have to think go for it - only if we don't buy barry though I really believe they are quite on a par with eachother at the moment,
    value wise there's no question over the smart option and wood hopefully leave us room for david "i want to touch your sexy face" silva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

LW backup
    RW first choice
    GK backup
    CF x 2 backup

I agree. But our 4231 is flexible and easily changed to 4231. Without Torres it could look something like

Mascherano
    Barry

Gerrard
    New Arrival

Babel
    Kuyt/New Signing

Those front 4 can easily be switched around to different positions.

With the same personnel we can play a variety of formations. Kuyt, Gerrard, Benayoun, Barry, Babel are all very versatile.

But let's hope whatever striker we do sign will be good enough to lead the line with good support from Gerrard and Co.

Think Rafa has Total Football in mind when you consider most of his signings! (with certain exceptions of course)
    Total Football is a system where a player who moves out of his position is replaced by another from his team, thus retaining their intended organizational structure. In this fluid system no footballer is fixed in his or her intended outfield role; anyone can be successively an attacker, a midfielder and a defender.

Total Football's tactical success depends largely on the adaptability of each footballer within the team. It consists of footballers being extremely tactically aware, allowing them to change positions at high speed — in its simplest terms, every player is comfortable in any other position. It also puts high technical and physical demands on the players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Football

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Who's Jimmy Bullard??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

• Advertisement

Ah i wouldn't worry bout bullard. He's a mixture of zenden and voronin.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    Decent footballer but an absolute messer!
    slight bit of sarcism there sorry....i know well who he is!!

cant understand why people give out about voronin and yet are happy to see bullard linked with liverpool!

we dont need anymore mediocre, decent footballers-we have enough :(

Exactly. We can keep our money for other players. I'd sooner not buy anyone than buy some below average 30 year old.

Ah i wouldn't worry bout bullard. He's a mixture of zenden and voronin.

lol . . just lol . . . ridiculous statement of nonsense

mayordenis wrote: »
    yeah bullards hair aint nearly as good as the other twos':cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Absolutely agree. This is why the Yanks need to fvck off and let the Dubai crowd in. They were meant to provide the funds to help Liverpool challenge for the title with the financial clout to keep up with Utd and Chelsea. Instead, over the past few weeks, we've been linked with the likes of Barry, Bentley, Downing, Milner and now Jimmy Bullard. Honestly, this is a joke!!! Don't get me wrong, they're all fine players who can do jobs in the Premier League. But this is Liverpool!!!
    And if we're not challenging for the title this season, it's Rafa who gets the stick. But how are we meant to when the likes of Spurs and probably Man City outspend us?
    As i say, i agree with the post i've quoted. I like Jimmy Bullard, he's a really good player, but without doubt, we should be blooding some of the players who won the reserve league if all we're gonna do is end up buying players like Bullard. Plessis played brilliant against Arsenal. Put him in a few times against lesser opposition to get to grips with the Premier League. Lucas already has a year's experience, give him more.
    I know people are trying to find the positives in the players we are being linked with, but come on. Take a step back and look at the bigger picture. These are not Liverpool players!! The people to blame are the yanks. I know this is old news, but it's still relevant. Unless we can get serious financial backers, these kind of players will be the level we're linked with and not only will we not be able to go forward, we could end up being overtaken by the likes of Spurs, Man city and Villa.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »

Whats nonsense is the fact we are discussing having that player on our team.

Here speaking of getting a new striker/attacking winger Podolski is having a cracker of a tournament.
    Great shot on him,fast,holds up the ball well,brings in players,hardworking.
    The type of player benitez would admire.
    If we sell a few more players maybe we could but in a decent bid. I know citeh supposedly put in a 20m bid but champions league would be a better incentive for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

I think schweinsteiger is class.Throw him on that right wing.

dc69 wrote: »
    I think schweinsteiger is class.Throw him on that right wing.

I dunno that abel xavier haircut scares me a little bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Klinsmann has apparently made noises about how Podolski will be a big player for him/Bayern next year, in response to him being linked elsewhere including Man city this season after being marginalised and given very little time at Munich this year. so i doubt he will be going anyhere atm. Schweinsteiger who knows, prob more attainable if less desirable

• Advertisement

Rafa fears £20m move for Silva could be scuppered by Liverpool's American owners

Rafa Benitez may have to go cap in hand to Liverpool's American owners again after identifying £20million-rated Spain winger David Silva as the answer to his search for more width.

The Liverpool manager believes he can talk Valencia into parting with a player dubbed the new Pablo Aimar but may have greater difficulty persuading co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett to meet the asking price.

Already having to wheel and deal to raise £15million for Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry, Benitez has been made aware funds are scarce.

He sees the capture of 22-year old Silva, who can operate on either flank or just behind the main striker, as a statement of intent, though, and is exploring ways of funding a deal.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1027829/Rafa-fears-20m-Silva-scuppered-Liverpools-American-owners.html?ITO=1490

Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva

I dunno that abel xavier haircut scares me a little bit.

Yeah, i don't want anyone who looks like Scooter playing for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva

I agree.

Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get SilvaPlease get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get SilvaPlease get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please Please Please Please

bullard is nothing like either voronin or zenden - bar the hair maybe

he's an incredibly energetic player who brakes his back for the team always looking for the ball, always trying to create things, has a very good strike and the best attitude shown by any player in the last 20 years.

thats why the comparison is complete facaes.

As for Bastian and David Silva - both are fantastic players who would immediately improve our first team - I couldn't call it between them they both offer very different possibilities - and are big a step above the likes of downing and milner.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I agree.

Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get SilvaPlease get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get SilvaPlease get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please get Silva Please Please Please Please

I'm so excited I think I'll treat the forum to a Mr.Alan shuffle!

Yes yes i also like to have silva.
    Please get silva...
    Its a little oliver twist
    'Please sir can i have some more'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Silva seems to be highly rated, but to be honest I've never really seen him play. What sort of player is he?

seriously, wat the **** is that Mr Alan shuffle about? and why oh why is it in the tags at the end of my page?!

oh and PHB: he is a left sided attacking player, perfectly suited to our current formation or 4-4-2 equally. excellent touch,quick,good finisher,crosser, really excellent player.

youtube links are ****e when it comes to judging players.but you might get an idea from this. he scored a peach against Chelsea a few years ago in stamford bridge iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

I know im gona come in for some stick but I honestly dont think silva is that good.

He is a good player but he aint no ronaldo or torres.He is good and no doubt he will benefit the team but if someone like sweinsteiger can be bought for half the price then it doesnt make sence to me to pay a **** load for silva.

I wouldnt pay more than 14 or 15 million pounds for silva.

PHB wrote: »
    Silva seems to be highly rated, but to be honest I've never really seen him play. What sort of player is he?

He can play on either wing or in hole. I think naturally he is more of a central player but plays out wide for Valencia & Spain. From what Ive seen of him, even though hes quite small, hes strong on the ball. He can beat players, find a clever pass and has an excellent shot. Hes only 22 so can only get better. Ive had my fingers crossed since the end of last season that we would sign him.

dc69 wrote: »
    I know im gona come in for some stick but I honestly dont think silva is that good.

He is a good player but he aint no ronaldo or torres.He is good and no doubt he will benefit the team but if someone like sweinsteiger can be bought for half the price then it doesnt make sence to me to pay a **** load for silva.

I wouldnt pay more than 14 or 15 million pounds for silva.

I think he could be bought for around 17m.

• Advertisement

Couldn't disagree more it makes perfect sense to but silva - it's the one place where we really fall down that's delivery from wide and he can do that and then some - shwiesteiger is great in a very different way more inclined to be a normal attacking midfielder than a real touchline winger like silva.
    I will say that I used to be the same but I've seen a lot more of him this year and I can't remember a disapointing performance from him,
    if we sell xabi the money should really be spent on silva and let someone else step up to our already world class centre mid.

I'm so excited I think I'll treat the forum to a Mr.Alan shuffle!

Hee Hee!!

Is that really Mr Alan???

monkey9 wrote: »
    Hee Hee!!

Is that really Mr Alan???

Yes, yes it is.

it is in its ****ing arse me!

Ha Ha Ha! I'm not taking the p!ss, but whether it's you or not, Mr Alan, i genuinely imagined that's what you looked like. A bigish fella with blonde hair. HA!!!
    But sorry, i really ain't taking the p!ss, it's just funny.

Ha hA

It was taken right after we signed Voronin. MrAlan misjudged the player, thinking he was going to take the premiership by storm. Thats why hes embarrassed.

:D:D hilarious :D:D

i do have fair hair by the way, and am working on bit of a beer gut so you're on the right track

wayyy better looking that lad though :cool:

speaking of predictions on Voronin, i seem to remember Mike65 predicting Voronin to be a bigger hit that Torres :D good work mike ;)

Ahh i'm working off a phone and i really wanna see it!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    :D:D hilarious :D:D

i do have fair hair by the way, and am working on bit of a beer gut so you're on the right track

wayyy better looking that lad though :cool:

speaking of predictions on Voronin, i seem to remember Mike65 predicting Voronin to be a bigger hit that Torres :D good work mike ;)

i like it, deflect attention away from yourself. You should be a politician.

Actually, after the first few games of last season, i thought Voronin would turn out to be a super signing. He seemed to have strength, ability to link up play and get a few goals himself. Then after like the tenth league game, i was embarrassed at my naivety

• Advertisement

i really wanna see it!

its not me! :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement